Boston, March 11...location/tickets? PART 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw The Wallflowers at the Somerville Theater last year...great show and a fantastic, intimate venue. Have fun to those who are going!!!

I won on WBCN. My wife and I are going. I haven't gotten an email from them yet, but they did call the day after just to say that they didn't know where it was (and probably just to check that they had my phone number correct).

I must say that I really don't like this "no cell phones" rule. I understand what they're trying to do, but my wife and I have a young son who will be with a sitter. I'm REALLY not happy about having to leave the cell phone behind. If the sitter needs to get in touch with us for some reason, then what?

Sorry, but whoever thought this would be a good idea really didn't think it through.

Hide it in your shoe and keep it on silent? :shrug:

I'm serious BTW.

What time is the wedding? If it's an afternoon wedding, maybe you could bail out of the reception around 5pm or so, and hit the road to Foxboro? Based on past history, U2 probably won't go on until after 8:30...

Do you know where the wedding is? If it's at a mansion it will be evening cuz they do tours during the day.

The much-buzzed about U2 show will be happening tomorrow at the Somerville Theatre. How can we -- finally -- be so sure? Because roadies are loading the band's equipment into the hall right now, cops are posted around Davis Square, and Meacham Road, right behind the theater, is blocked off.

and

Production manager Jake Berry tells us that U2 will probably play four songs tomorrow and then take questions from the audience.

source: Crews prepare for tomorrow's U2 show - The Names Blog - Boston.com

Thanks, Alison. But I beat you to it by a page (not trying to be snarky).

And now this from the Herald:

U2 aficionados can’t get tickets at the door - the location remains unknown although there’s speculation it’s the Somerville Theatre - but local radio stations were giving away tickets last week.

Not much else of interest...

I think its looking like its going to be a bad idea to try to go down there without a ticket. They have been showing it on the Fox 25 news and theres already a bunch of people standing around there just to watch the equipment get unloaded. There was a lot of talk about all the people there speculating how they could get in and trying to figure out who had tickets. Im guessing that the entire area will be blocked off and it will be near impossible to get anywhere near the actual theater.

Of course, that wont stop me or anyone else from going anyways :lol:.

BTW, the Fox 25 news said that radio stations still have "tickets" for the concert. Has anyone heard what stations they may be talking about?

If I can be someone's 2nd, I will buy you dinner at the restaurant of your choice tomorrow night. ANY restaurant in town.

AND I will give you what is in my wallet for the ticket.

------------------

P.S. they just mentioned the concert on one of the local stations. The Mayor (looks like M. Night Shyamalan) said if you do not have a ticket or pass, you will not get in. Doesn't look good for people scouting out the theater ahead of time.

The Mayor (looks like M. Night Shyamalan) said if you do not have a ticket or pass, you will not get in. Doesn't look good for people scouting out the theater ahead of time.

The mayor of Boston?! He is the furthest thing from young, slim, and indian!

Hey All,

I have been thinking about this and talking with my friend(s) about this. Do you think that U2 would put up the money to make it look like they were playing at the Somerville Theatre and than show up somewhere else? Sorry if people already considered this. I just think the fact that all these news stations getting the word out is like they're falling into U2's trap. I mean the theater has movies starting until 8:15. Do you think a person at a movie theater can really stop someone from sneaking into this event? I used to work at a movie theater and if people are desperate enough to try and get thrown out by sneaking into an R rated movie how are U2 fans going to react with a possible U2 show? Perhaps they'll cancel all shows tomorrow and it will only be made noticeable in the box office and not online? I don't know I'm obviously leaning on the fence that this is all smoke and mirrors. Maybe it's from watching too much Lost. LOL. But how long can Boston Police turn people away that are there without tickets? It's Davis Square for Christ's sakes, there's an abundance of shops, eateries and the like to hang out and hide in folks. I'll be hiding out here tomorrow seeing how this develops on this page to see if I should make it down. I'd hate to miss the broadcast.

Kristofor

Hey All,

I have been thinking about this and talking with my friend(s) about this. Do you think that U2 would put up the money to make it look like they were playing at the Somerville Theatre and than show up somewhere else?

No. I saw people loading equipment into the theater today. Further, I just got this email and cell phone message from the city:

This is Tom Champion from the City of Somerville with important information about traffic and parking restrictions for the special U2 concert event on Wednesday, March 11th at 9 p.m. at the Somerville Theater in Davis Square. Please note that, effective 9 a.m. on Wednesday, Dover and Meacham Streets will be closed to vehicle traffic. After 4 p.m., there may be additional road closures in the Davis Square area, although pedestrian access will be maintained at all times. Some parking restrictions will be in place on Holland Street near the Somerville Theater, and additional restrictions may be imposed as needed.

Extra service has been scheduled on the MBTA’s Red Line for the evening hours. The City will post any bus rerouting and bus stop relocation information on its website as soon as it is available. Businesses will remain open at their discretion and police details will assist in maintaining access for customers. The City does not recommend car travel through Davis Square center between 5 p.m. and midnight, but all metered city parking lots will remain open for use throughout the day and evening hours.

Residents should note that no tickets for this event are available for sale, and no one who does not already have a ticket will be admitted. This event will, however, be broadcast live by WBCN FM.

For more information, please call 311 during normal business hours or visit the City’s website at City Of Somerville - Home.

Thank you.

Just saw this ad on a boston sports site:

ai.php

fairly clever of them I say

Well, I bought a movie ticket for The Wrestler, playing at the Somerville Theater at 720pm Wed night. The purchase went through on my credit card and it says I show my credit card at the box office to get my movie ticket. So, are they not going to let us paying "movie patrons" in?
I emailed the theater manager and am curious what his response will be.
In any case, I will be hanging around as well tomorrow afternoon. Hope to meet up with some other interferencers.
And if there is anyone that is going and needs to bring someone with them I wou:wave:ldn't say no. (Just thought I'd throw that out there-desperate times now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom