Boots vs Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which song do you like better?

• Vertigo

Votes: 70 29.3%
  • Get On Your Boots

Votes: 169 70.7%

• Total voters
:ohmy: Unfair question – we have here a hype around a brandnew single, that is like water in the desert for the thirsty U2 hardcore crowd. Within this frame, that is also filled with a lot of HTDAAB bashing, too, "Vertigo" has no chance at all. Will be interesting, how the "Boots" worshipping people of today will talk about it in five years. Still my opinion, as in 2004: "Vertigo" has been one of the best singles, U2 have realesed in the last decade. A vintage tune, a stadium breaker, already a classic. "Boots" has yet to grow and to come up to this high level tune - we'll see ...

We will all find out in a month to see how well it translates live, I have a feeling it will be rocking and electro shocking the crowd. :rockon:

boots is challenging and cooks a lot of interesting ideas that made my appetite for nloth grown a lot... however, as a song by itself it still doesn't have enough strength for me.

vertigo didn't tell much what htdaab would be (in fact now we know that it didn't tell nothing) but nevertheless is a killer song that worked pretty well by its own. therefore, as songs, my vote goes to vertigo.

As much as i hoped boots would be massive hit, it wont match Vertigo. We are so starving for new material that alot of us hyped up boots. After a few days, certain radio stations are already turning away. It is a good track, but cant match the massive hit Vertigo was and always will always be.

Unless they have something completely awesome lined up as the next single, I doubt that. U2's non-first single have tanked, looking at the last 3 albums.

I practically don't give a damn if GOYB doesn't fare well in the charts like Vertigo or Beautiful Day.

^ Agreed.

I'm surprised people here are so interested in U2 having a commercial "hit".

Vertigo wasn't much of a "hit" here where I live, but I'd say it's much more radio friendly than GOYB.

Unless they have something completely awesome lined up as the next single, I doubt that. U2's non-first single have tanked, looking at the last 3 albums.

Well, Kings Of Leon and Coldplay both have better second singles. Either way I think U2 need to follow other artists and release the second single very early. In the charts today, Beyonce, KOL, Coldplay, Britney even Katy Perry and Lady Gaga have 2 songs in the top 20. It is marketing and the way to go. Gone are the days of releasing the second song 3 or 4 months away. If I had my way the best song on the album should be released to radio the week before the album drops. Helps the album sales and will benefit ticket sales.

But that is just my opinion.

I practically don't give a damn if GOYB doesn't fare well in the charts like Vertigo or Beautiful Day.

Well I dont want to see U2 turn into the Stones. Releasing albums with no hits. and U2 i'm sure still want commercial success. Certain fans might not give a fuck, but i do.

^ Agreed.

I'm surprised people here are so interested in U2 having a commercial "hit".

Vertigo wasn't much of a "hit" here where I live, but I'd say it's much more radio friendly than GOYB.

I don't find GOYB really that radio friendly, I kinda feel like its radio-unfriendly, mainstream music followers would probably start crying at the first hearing of GOYB because they are taking risks again.

Mainstream radio would tend to stay away from GOYB so leave it to the good stations. Besides i've got it on my iPod, why hang out for the radio if you can listen to it any time of day.

SYCMIOYO got to number 1 in the Uk, the first time a non 1st release from a U2 album has done so.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the bands non-first singles have tanked, at least not in the UK, BD was obviously Number 1, but Stuck reached Number 2 and Elevation Number 3. A similiar thing happened with HTDAAB, Vertigo hit the top spot and Sometimes was on course to be Number 1 too but was pipped to the post at the last minute.

U2 singles don't seem to have much staying power, they go in high then fall out rapidly and I don't really know why, compared to some of the dross that lingers on for week after week, some of u2's releases deserve much longer lives.

SYCMIOYO got to number 1 in the Uk, the first time a non 1st release from a U2 album has done so.

Did it? I wasn't sure, I'm certain it says in the 18 singles bootklet that it made Number 2.

It's really hard to know if it will be a big success: radios nowadays play rn'b, hip-hop or rock tunes. This song is none of these I think but a bit of each so it is really hard to say. It could be considered like the perfect modern tune or a too experimental and strange beast.

boots doesn't have a tune, end of, production and sound is great but it's like a movie with great visual effects but no plot-line

I wouldn't necessarily say that the bands non-first singles have tanked, at least not in the UK, BD was obviously Number 1, but Stuck reached Number 2 and Elevation Number 3. A similiar thing happened with HTDAAB, Vertigo hit the top spot and Sometimes was on course to be Number 1 too but was pipped to the post at the last minute.

U2 singles don't seem to have much staying power, they go in high then fall out rapidly and I don't really know why, compared to some of the dross that lingers on for week after week, some of u2's releases deserve much longer lives.

The Declining Physical market will change that for the new album though, I'd be surprised if the band even had a second top 10 with this album...I mean oasis used to always get number 1 and their last single missed the top ten (or barely made it) and it was the number one physical single

For some reason I am pretty much certain Breathe will be the next single. And if it sounds anything like what I've got in my head based on the beach clips it'll do brilliantly. I pretty much know how the chorus goes.

"Walk On" was pretty big, won a grammy. "SATS" was pretty popular. "COBL" has lasting power, being used on Obama's campaign. :shrug:

i don't know about chart positions, but i'm sure mysterious ways (2nd sinlge) had much more airplay than the fly, not to mention one that was the 3rd single... and i wouldn't be surprised to know that ishfwilf (2nd single) is the u2 song with more airplay ever.

but i'm with the ones that don't care that much with massive success.

For some reason I am pretty much certain Breathe will be the next single. And if it sounds anything like what I've got in my head based on the beach clips it'll do brilliantly. I pretty much know how the chorus goes.

If the BC is anything to go by, people on the forum wil slaughter u2 for playing it too safe with Breath.

Back
Top Bottom