Bono's Surgery and Tour Impact - Info & Discussion Here - Part 2 [update post #370]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They'd better add some dates next year...or at least get some bigger opening acts, like when Pearl Jam opened for that postponed Hawaii show on Vertigo.

In the meantime, now I've got to console a broken hearted 4 yr old son and try to figure out what to do this summer instead, seeing as how our MI road trip was our summer vacation.

And the worst part? No one has even said what exactly happened to our beloved B-man. If we'd been told how extensive the surgery/recovery is, then maybe we'd be a little less crushed. :reject:

Sorry about your son...explaining to kids is a bitch. I used to throw the worst fits when plans changed.

Re: Bono, they said what happened to him, it's all on U2.com. He was suffering partial paralysis before the surgery. Serious stuff. Thankfully he'll be okay...they say recovery time at least 8 weeks.

As for the european shows, i bet Bono will be working VERY hard to get fit in the minimum 8 weeks, its not a good thing but we just know he will be.

Of course he will be. Maybe with the right treatment and if he really really takes care he will be able to make it. Somehow I doubt it though. And I'd rather have a really healthy and well-recovered Bono on stage after he takes the time he really needs.

minimum 8 weeks, and there's 11 weeks to European leg, that's 3 more weeks of recovery :pray:

of course health is more important than tour :up:, i'm just trying to be an optimist.

It's bullshit. If it was such a big problem why didn't he take care of this during the last 6 months and not 2 weeks before the tour starts?

/Venting

sorry, but you're an idiot. It's all about you, huh? He had bone fragments get into the spinal canal. It's not bullshit. :angry:

Yes I know...hope you're not flying American too much. Just got the bitter truth from them...I had booked two one way tickets cause I wasn't sure at the time when I wanted to return. It was going to be $150 to cancel each leg...more than the price of each ticket. Next time, I'll have to be sure to fly Southwest, no cancellation fees or changes fees (which is the was it should be).

That happened to me yesterday with my Delta ticket from SLC to LAX.

We should all be thankful that the band will be able to perform again - a U2 show is worth the wait, however long that will be. Hope Bono rests up and makes a full recovery. Keeping fingers crossed to see him at his best in Seville in September :)

Looking at the bright side ...

... I don't have to worry about avoiding spoilers before Seattle!

... maybe we'll luck out and get a better opening band next summer!

... maybe if SoA still comes out this year, we'll get a really different set/show next year!

... I now have more to look forward to next year!

... We can still enjoy the European shows (assuming they go on, of course) from afar!

... Bono will be (hopefully) free of back pain. A healthy Bono is a happy Bono and that means happy fans.

Personally, I feel very grateful I saw them a few times last fall, and my travel plans are only very minimally impacted. I do feel for the fans who haven't seen them on this tour yet and now have to wait another year, and those who are going to feel the pain of travel cancellations.

:hug: to all.

Glad I got all my silliness out last night in this thread. I definitely feel more sane and sober about all this now.

Still looking at the bright side, but I'm still in Bummer City today. :(

I saw it all when I woke up this morning...but I was prepared for it, I think.

Right now, I'm really relieved. After so many days with no updates, I was getting so worried about Bono. I'm just glad he's going to get better and be ok.

Whenever the shows are rescheduled to, I'll be there. They've given us so much...now it's our turn to give our love and support :up:

Agreed big time! :up::up:

Bono is doing well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance::cabbagepatch::grouphug::yippie:

Thank you U2.com/Paul McG and the band for the information!:bow:

Honestly, I can't believe how much info they gave, it really wasn't necessary, but it is nice to know what happened!

I guess "Emergency" was actually the case. :yikes:
I have a friend who's had spinal cord surgery and it's NO JOKE! I have to say, the following details really upset me when I read them and I started to tear up....

"He was already in severe pain with partial paralysis in the lower leg. The ligament surrounding the disc had an 8mm tear and during surgery we discovered fragments of the disc had traveled into the spinal canal. This surgery was the only course of treatment for full recovery and to avoid further paralysis."

:shocked::sad:

Let's just pray for a safe and healthy full recovery! :pray:

We Love you Bono!!!:loveshower:

I must be the only person who is absolutely THRILLED that the shows are postponed (though I do worry about Bono - surgery is never easy and it's always a long road to recovery, but especially when you are already getting on in age).

I am going to be in Africa in June/July and I literally was JUST about to sell my Toronto tickets, but now I will hang on to them and hopefully get to see the band next year.

It sucks for everyone who made major travel plans, I do feel very bad for you. :hug:

sorry, but you're an idiot. It's all about you, huh? He had bone fragments get into the spinal canal. It's not bullshit. :angry:

while not agreeing with the way Steved1998 expressed his feelings, he's partially right.

For the sake of his health he should have done this earlier. With the hiatus they have between tours he could have had a better recovery without the pressure of having to perform. You know him, he loves to be onstage. But, what is done is done and let's hope he doesn't try to do anything foolish with his recovery.

I can just imagine his wife's first two questions:

Is he gonna be ok?

What in the hell was he doing?

:)

while not agreeing with the way Steved1998 expressed his feelings, he's partially right.

For the sake of his health he should have done this earlier. With the hiatus they have between tours he could have had a better recovery without the pressure of having to perform. You know him, he loves to be onstage. But, what is done is done and let's hope he doesn't try to do anything foolish with his recovery.

Perhaps you missed this part:

"Joerg Tonn, the neurosurgeon treating the star, described Bono's condition as a "sudden onset disease" which caused temporary partial paralysis. The injury happened while the singer was training in preparation for the tour."

My boss was just telling me about when she had a herniated disk and had to have surgery, and how incredibly painful it was. I feel really sad for him. Hope he's doped up on some good meds right now.

My boss was just telling me about when she had a herniated disk and had to have surgery, and how incredibly painful it was. I feel really sad for him. Hope he's doped up on some good meds right now.

I can guarantee he is feeling no pain right now! Flying high on meds, bless his heart.

No I didn't missed... And it doesn't change my post... I was just saying that if he had done something more profund about his back issues earlier this partial paralysis could have been avoided... :huh: I'm not criticizing him...

I wish him all the well in the world :up:

I woke up at 7:05, and I think it was just when they posted the news. Bad but relieved way to start the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom