Bono: "I think there will be another record in 2006"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:
They have to think of Bono's voice, their families and Bono's outside U2 work.
Also I remember a bit from MTV Making of the video for Vertigo, where Larry said "if there was a way not to tour, he'd take it."

I think Larry's back and arms will do them in before Bono's voice does. :|

As far as I can remember, there was nothing official about a fast follow-up to ATYCLB. (and no potential intentions/plans need to come true)
The band had to finish up the second Best of anyway, so to expect an album in 2002 was unrealistic.

Late 2003 was the plan, most likely, as that interview confirms - again. (remember O Herlihy talk about touring either Spring or Fall 2004, depending on the album release?)

bono said the same thing last time, and we waited 4 years for a great album. i'm glad bono said it again because if history repeats itself, we'll have an album no later than 2008.

He did not say "we WILL release a new album, the material is all finished", not back then or now.

However, he did say "we're on it now" which I take it to mean they actually have an album full of leftovers to work on this time.

2 albums no latter than 2010, mark these words.

Last edited:
I laughed when I read this. It's just typical Bono. Next album - fall 2008.

More music the better I say...Ill be optomistic until the 2006 date passes by and they arent quite done the album yet lol

djerdap said:
I laughed when I read this. It's just typical Bono. Next album - fall 2008.

exactly! it's good to know though, that the band still has the love and ambition to make another record. we will be waiting at least 4 years though.

U2girl said:
I think so too, Sleep over Jack - 2 more albums till 2010 is duable.

The 90's Best of had 3 albums featured (2 Passengers songs and two ATYCLB songs) and the third Best of has only 1 for now (plus Elevation and Walk on, and maybe Ground beneath her feet and Stateless), and I don't think the band wants to be playing in, say, 20 years' time from now.

They have to think of Bono's voice, their families and Bono's outside U2 work.
Also I remember a bit from MTV Making of the video for Vertigo, where Larry said "if there was a way not to tour, he'd take it."

They wouldn't necessarily have to tour the album though - well, not on the scale that they usually do. This is the thing with U2 - they 'are' a live band, so it's no surprise that they'r so knackered after intense year long tours.
I'd be quite happy to have an album and no tour - let them have a break for a while from all of that kerfuffle.

If Edge had said it I would totally freak out but since it's Bono I won't take it too seriously, which is a shame. But I cannot tell you how much I hope it's true. We can't wait four more years for a new album, can we? I know I can't. :crack:

Last edited:
LOL! I love Bono and U2 but, yes, Bono definitely has the Irish gift of exaggerating a bit. Anytime he gives a timetable, my rule of thumb is to double it.

My favorite Bono "exaggerations":

1. "This is our best record we've done" (says it every time)

2. "We're ready to get back in the studio" (translation = in 2 years)

3. "U2 wouldn't exist if it wasn't for _____." [insert whichever band the interviewer is asking about: Clash, Ramones, Beatles, Who, etc.]

:)

I think they might actually aim for 2006, which means it will come out at the end of 2007, my prediction. :wink:

they can take as long as they want so long as it's good, ala how to dismantle an atomic bomb. well worth the wait.

I think any possibility of an album in 2006 became imposible after all those B-sides were released on I Tunes.

I think this tour will still be going on then. I can see entering the recording studios in late 2006 for a 2007 release.

IrishDawg said:
I think any possibility of an album in 2006 became imposible after all those B-sides were released on I Tunes.

That's an interesting point. I'm sure they thought about the positives and negatives of releasing songs that may become future album tracks. And if that was all they had to work with for future release, I think they would have kept them for themselves. Which leads me to believe, they didn't give iTunes everything. There is unheard material sitting around, waiting to be finished.

They could release a 'Zooropa'-like album in 2006 and do a mini-tour for it. Maybe 25 American dates and 25 European ones? (Sorry Australia and Japan!)

It's doable. It won't happen, but it's doable!

-Miggy

Ahh, you all are such cynics! Keep in mind that HTDAAB was basically finished around, what, mid-2003? Then U2 decided it didn't have "the magic" and went back into the studio... if the alternate versions on iTunes are any indicator though, they had the magic plenty, except on Sometimes. But, U2 is happy with HTDAAB, and so am I :)

I think it's a real possbility... I've thought so ever since I heard Mercy. That song alone could inspire an album. Bono saying they might have an album in 2006 doesn't really change my opinion... I think they should put out another Zooropa, make it nice and raw. Don't overproduce, underproduce. Take it White Light White Heat style, boys, and don't forget the electric viola :wink: seriously though, I could see a quick and dirty LP or even EP in 2006, then an album to own all albums around 2009, Best of in 2010, then a final album that blows everyone away. Those are my plans for U2. Aren't they grand? :D

AtomicBono said:
Ahh, you all are such cynics! Keep in mind that HTDAAB was basically finished around, what, mid-2003? Then U2 decided it didn't have "the magic" and went back into the studio... if the alternate versions on iTunes are any indicator though, they had the magic plenty, except on Sometimes. But, U2 is happy with HTDAAB, and so am I :)

I think it's a real possbility... I've thought so ever since I heard Mercy. That song alone could inspire an album. Bono saying they might have an album in 2006 doesn't really change my opinion... I think they should put out another Zooropa, make it nice and raw. Don't overproduce, underproduce. Take it White Light White Heat style, boys, and don't forget the electric viola :wink: seriously though, I could see a quick and dirty LP or even EP in 2006, then an album to own all albums around 2009, Best of in 2010, then a final album that blows everyone away. Those are my plans for U2. Aren't they grand? :D

:drool: :drool: :drool:

I wish U2 would read what you wrote and make it happen!!!! :up:

you know, I wouldn't mind if U2 put out another Zooropa-esque album at all, provided that it had a track on it like 'The First Time'. I know it's down to preference, but that song is one of my favourite U2 songs ever, so if there was something on it of that quality, i'd be very happy.

pianorocker said:

And Iiiiii, iiiiiii, believe in love....:wink:

sorry. it was too good of a chance to waste...

I believe in you! You! I beeeelieeeeve in yooooou!

:wink:

Not sure about 2006, but I think the possibility is there to get something new out quicker than last time. Only because they've usually had some kind of interim release between the big ones - Passengers bet. AB/Zooropa and Pop and then 80-90 bet. Pop and ATYCLB and 90-00 between ATYCLB and the Bomb, you might even think of R&H in between JT and AB. This time they won't have a Best Of to fall back on to fill the gap, so something new could happen 2007 to have something new on the shelves, and then another 2008/9.

Dalton said:
Bono: "I think there will be another record in 2006"

[turns head to the side and coughs] bullshit [/turns head to the side and coughs]

:lmao:

Someone should start a pool. Draw all those little squares, people can buy a square for a quarter. Each square would be a month and year. I'll take October 2008.

Back
Top Bottom