Best euro city gigs for an aussie to go to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jarradhedley

The Fly
Hey guys,

Am an Aussie from down under and looking to go over for the next European tour leg(when it happens). Am definately going to a hometown Dublin gig but was wondering the next best city for a U2 show in terms of enthusiastic crowds etc? Was thinking Paris might be good.any advice on which cities to see a gig?

Hey guys,

Am an Aussie from down under and looking to go over for the next European tour leg(when it happens). Am definately going to a hometown Dublin gig but was wondering the next best city for a U2 show in terms of enthusiastic crowds etc? Was thinking Paris might be good.any advice on which cities to see a gig?

Go to any of the Italian or Spanish shows.

I travelled from Melbourne and did Paris, Amsterdam, and Dublin on 360. Paris was the worst. Terrible stadium management and the crowd was much too tightly packed. Dublin had a great atmosphere but it was pretty much dominated by U2 tourists. Amsterdam had an actual "home" crowd full of locals who were very enthusiastic.

Plus flights from Australia to the Netherlands are cheaper than flights to the UK (from where you would connect to Ireland).

My brother expressed interest in seeing one of their shows in Europe the next time around, so I'd be interested in any answers as well!

I stood next to a very nice Russian couple in the GA section during the Minneapolis show. They were from St. Petersburg and for some reason, the man and I talked about places to visit in Italy if I ever go there. According to him, Venice is overrated, and I should go to Milan and stay away from Naples. :D

I want to see U2 in their hometown so next tour I want to travel from Aus to see them. Getting tickets may be pretty hard though, especially if they go back to indoor shows.

Zagreb, Croatia/Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Katowice, Poland
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Milan, Italy

...would be my choices.

Amsterdam had an actual "home" crowd full of locals who were very enthusiastic.

I've heard that before. And it's also my experience, though I may be biased. :wink:

Apart from Amsterdam I'd also suggest a city in Spain. I went to all four concerts in Spain last tour and they were a blast. The Spanish are also very enthusiastic, so the atmosphere is likely great. Plus you always have a chance you hear a ragged version of Spanish Eyes.

I've never been to a show in Italy, but I heard from a friend (who is of Italian descent) that at least he never will do GA in Italy again. That was quite a stressful experience, apparently (the same can be said of Paris, as mentioned earlier in this thread).

I saw the question of London. I'd say London's OK for U2 concerts, but nothing special (relatively speaking of course, as it is a U2 show :) ). Certainly not one of the most enthusiastic crowds. The language factor does make it a bit easier though (as will the rest of the UK).

German and Dutch gigs are usually great. Good atmosphere, enthusiastic crowd. Though the Dutch obviously blow the Germans out of the water in terms of spirit. :wink:

If you want TRUE madness? Go for Spain/Portugal. The mediterranean shows(except France, which was pretty awful) are really something else. Though I haven't personally experienced it, I talked in line with a lot of people who did and the stories were brilliant. They are as enthusiastic as the Dutch, and it's just a lot of fun. Italy is quite mad though, expect LOTS of screaming girls. So that wouldn't tickle my fancy. Paris was just.. yeah.. horrible management of the stadium, some doors were let in earlier than others(who the hell makes up FOUR different GA entrances), and the people around us were... let's just say not very nice. Both dates I went were shitty experiences. Brussels was MUCH better, though we had a bit of a row with a guy there too, and, surprise, he was from Paris. :doh:

Irish shows are definitely great. I might do a Northern show next year too, something Danish or Swedish maybe. Their bootlegs sound pretty good crowdwise.

I heard Barcelona was insane. And wasn't there one city that they rewarded the crowd for being so loud by playing Bad or Mercy or something? Second leg...

I have been to Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Dublin and Berlin shows in Europe. My favourite are Dublin (there is nothing like seeing the band on their home turf) and Berlin. The shows are always great, but just from the overall experience (organisation, people, atmosphere etc) I rate Berlin ahead of Paris or Amsterdam.

From experience I'd say Spain - Barca '05 was the best gig I've ever been to. Could barely hear bono for the first few songs because it was so loud (personal preference whether that's a good or a bad thing). Pretty crazy crowd - which is probably the defining factor for me.

Certainly try & go to a place where they are playing multiple nights though so you can cut down on traveling costs a little and hear a (slightly) different set.

I was at Rome for the 360 tour what an atmoshere...Amsterdam was also great!

U2 in Scotland is usually a great atmosphere.....especially in Glasgow. If you like u2 in Dublin you will like them in Glasgow.

If you want to do GA and lining up, yes. If you don't care and arrive late, you could go. But hte crowd at both of my shows wasn't quite into it. It was rather dead.

I heard Barcelona was insane. And wasn't there one city that they rewarded the crowd for being so loud by playing Bad or Mercy or something? Second leg...

They rewarded Coimbra by playing Boy Falls From the Sky the second night...

I'm pretty sure 99% of the audience didn't particularly care for that reward.

In Rome they played mercy plus we got the best version of bad in years with the all I want is you snippet pure joy...the bands reaction to the Irish and Italian fan club flags was brilliant also

If you want to do GA and lining up, yes. If you don't care and arrive late, you could go. But hte crowd at both of my shows wasn't quite into it. It was rather dead.
Ah, I see. Mmm, yeah, I'm quite interested in queuing up to get as close as possible. Good to know, thanks! :wave:

Ah, I see. Mmm, yeah, I'm quite interested in queuing up to get as close as possible. Good to know, thanks! :wave:

You do realise, that in the 360 tours case, and generally speaking, the closer to the stage you are, you are sacraficing sound quality. Personally speaking...i go to a gig to HEAR the music.....so i like to hang back where the sound in theory, should be at its best

Sorry but I'm still sore over that Thierry Henry handball against us lol

You do realise, that in the 360 tours case, and generally speaking, the closer to the stage you are, you are sacraficing sound quality. Personally speaking...i go to a gig to HEAR the music.....so i like to hang back where the sound in theory, should be at its best
I actually didn't know that because I haven't really been to a huge stadium concert before. Every advice is greatly appreciated, but I personally want to be close to the stage, at least few times, if we're speaking about seeing more concerts.

I've been to around 50 U2 shows, probably more, in at least 10 different cities and the Barcelona crowd was far and away the loudest, most passionate crowd I've ever been around...for any concert, really. Just amazing. As has been said in here by others, Paris was a letdown. Amazing city, I mean, I'm so glad I got to go there and spend some time wandering around, but the concert atmosphere left a lot to be desired.

Hopefully, wherever you go, you leave yourself some time for sightseeing, etc.

Back
Top Bottom