Awful CD b sides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjhbonovox

Refugee
Jesus 2nd single in and all we have is fuc#ing crappy remixes. This has got to be one of the worse cd single releases for a long time for U2. The only saving grace is the excellent live version of SYCMIOYO on the DVD single. Why couldn't they have put something like the original version of SYCMIOYO produced by Chris Thomas, oh yeah hang on they put that in with the ipod release so to get that you have to pay about £150. Sounds about right for U2 these days!

Ahhhhh I thought it wouldn't be long before Lancemc ponced on one of my posts. Well my point is that the track lineup for the cd single is terrible. Where are any original tracks. All they seem to put out are these fuc#ing awful remixes. Have you heard that "Ave MAria" shit and then that terrible "redaWanks Vertigo" remix. Bloody hell talk about scrapping the barrell.

I do agree with your dislike for remixes. I would love for some original b-sides. But I've already gotten over it.

Just had to air my views cos I am a collector of all the singles and its getting pretty difficult these days that when you buy a single the bugger just goes straight into my cd case and only gets played the once. Also how do they expect the song to get to number 1 with such a poor selection of bsides. Surely it can only help by putting out some decent bsides as well. Ahhh them were the days when U2 would release something like "Streets have no name" and the other tracks on the single were "Silver and Gold", "Sweetest Thing" & "Race against time". Them days are loooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnng gone!

Mostly because the general public these days isn't a single-buying public. All these internet download services have really crushed the singles market. Maybe singles like this do better than onces with real b-sides, because of the club scene or something. I don't know.

Guys, face it. The single is a dying art form. In the 80s everybody and his brother released them. Now nobody does. Just the fact that U2 puts any value-added material out there is good news. If U2 stopped releasing singles altogether you'd b**** the moon, but they put stuff out there and you gripe about it. Don't buy it then. Or just go to iTunes and buy the songs you want.

Jesus you can actually say this stuff is WORTH putting out. It is shite with a capital S! Ave Marie is bloody awful and the remixes are crap. The saving grace is the Live version on the DVD which is great. I buy them cos I have ALL of U2 singles thats why. Its called being a collector. And I have a right to moan cos they never used to put out shit like this!

They may just be saving up decent stuff for the 25th anniversary single in May.

Axver said:
They may just be saving up decent stuff for the 25th anniversary single in May.

Ahhhh there in lies the hope. Mercy probably and are there anymore killer songs in the vaults. Also that version of Goldeneye that was doing the rounds on here a month or two back, why can't that be put out as a b-side, I haven't even heard that one.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Well when they do release the "25th Anniversary Single" it better be chock full of songs!!

Can you say "Mercy"?!?!?!

I'd rather have brand new songs than a release of a song all of us already know. By the way, that Ave Marie mix is etremely unnecesary (and a little unlistenable too).

Maybe there will be some sort of special EP with unreleased gems like Mercy on it, for the 25th anniversary thing.

As for U2's b-sides, I think that for a band like them that seems to record so many songs that do not get used for their albums, that they could put a bit more effort in for the fans that buy these releases.

Vertigo
Miracle Drug
SYCMIOYO
Love And Peace
City Of Blinding Lights
All Because Of You
A Man & A Woman
Crumbs From Your Table
One Step Closer
Original Of The Species
Yahweh
Mercy
Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
Neon Lights
Smile
Love You Like Mad
Xanax And Wine
Fast Cars
Flower Child
ABOY(Alt)
Yahweh(Alt)
SYCMIOYO(Alt)
Levitate
Native Son

Pretty good few months overall. I only bought HTDAAB.

Last edited:
Please forgive me if I come off as crass, but you do not sound very intelligent, rjhbonovox. I'm sure you are a smart guy, though :shrug:

It wouldnt bother me if U2 didnt put singles out anymore myself I do like collecting them but they are one of the few bands that still actually do put singles out...I wouldnt mind an EP of bsides from each album like "7" from last album.

I am sick of hearing about all the music they put out in the last few months.
I am a HUGE dediacted fan.
i have spent tons of $$$ on the boys and have been rarely let down but 30 bucks in singles and nothing really new is kind of crappy. I'm not saying they didn't give us a great album and a box set but I paid for my box set and I got the value of it. When I paid the value of these singles-I didn't get much in return. Ave Maria is horrible.

I dont have the single with Ave Maria on it so I cant judge but all the singles that are released here in Canada are no more then 3 dollars a piece so its not that much money even if the bside turns out to be mediocore....but I usually listen to the mp3 first before making my choice to buy the single or not.

Well, one should consider the fact that Bono has mentioned a possible album being released in 2006. If this is indeed the case, the band may be keeping potential HTDAAB B-side material close to the vest in order to improve upon the songs for inclusion on the potential 2006 album.

tlt29 said:
Well, one should consider the fact that Bono has mentioned a possible album being released in 2006. If this is indeed the case, the band may be keeping potential HTDAAB B-side material close to the vest in order to improve upon the songs for inclusion on the potential 2006 album.

Yeah and I'm sure Bono's gonna be able to fit in plenty of studio time with his role of being the President of saving the world!

super fly that is one of the luxuries we have now. It used to be you bought a single without having any idea how good the b-sides would be. Up through Pop most of them were pretty good. (The remixes always stunk though, save for five or six).

super fly guy said:
Look if you dont like the material dont but it!

Another person that can not see it from a U2 collectors point of view. When you are a collector and have ALL the singles they have released you want to complete the collection. I just hope that for us collectors that there aren't many more of these shit single releases after this year!

rjhbonovox said:

Another person that can not see it from a U2 collectors point of view. When you are a collector and have ALL the singles they have released you want to complete the collection. I just hope that for us collectors that there aren't many more of these shit single releases after this year!

I consider myself a collector as well (I, too, have all of their singles), and i couldn't care less about the B-sides. If not distributing B-sides means another potential album in the near future, I'm all for it.

tlt29 said:

I consider myself a collector as well (I, too, have all of their singles), and i couldn't care less about the B-sides. If not distributing B-sides means another potential album in the near future, I'm all for it.

AGREED! Here's to hoping for a new album in 2006/7/8 with Mercy as the lead single!!!!!

Sleep Over Jack said:
Maybe there will be some sort of special EP with unreleased gems like Mercy on it, for the 25th anniversary thing.

As for U2's b-sides, I think that for a band like them that seems to record so many songs that do not get used for their albums, that they could put a bit more effort in for the fans that buy these releases.

i agree

Back
Top Bottom