Ask the Missionary on a Pacific Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maycocksean

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
This is a lot of new posting for me. . .but I'm finally "caught up" with the threads and ready to put some posts out there that I've been thinking about.

So here's one more:

Ask the missionary in the Pacific Islands. I'll take all questions both technical and philosophical.

A little basic background. I've been a missionary on the island of Saipan in the Northern Marianas Islands for 8 going on 9 years. I teach at a mission school where the majority of my students are not of my denomination (they are, however, overwhelmingly Catholic, with a few Buddhists, Protestants, and people of no relgious faith thrown in for good measure). I don't really feel like much of a missionary these days though. I just feel like it's my job. Part of it is that Saipan is hardly a remote, jungle village. We've got most of the comforts of home right up to McDonalds, Pizza Hut, and a Blockbuster video. I've done mission work in more remote locations in the Pacific but where I am now is pretty comfortable.

So ask away, and I'll answer as best I can. (Anyone else who is or has been a missionary can feel free to answer as well).

I've heard that the McDonalds hamburgers in some other countries differ greatly from ours. Is this true, and if so, how do they differ?

In a nutshell, what is the point of being a missionary?

Also, do you find there's a sense of isolation in those regions, micronesia, polynesia, etc? People say Australia is isolated (beyond physically) and we live how the rest of the world did in the 80s, that it's like taking a small step back in time (though this is changing). Do you identify with that?

What led you to become a missionary?

What denomination are you affiliated with, if any?

When you first became a missionary (like whenever was the first time you moved away), how did you handle the transition?

Do missionaries simply get paid through church affiliation, or do you have to have another job too?

Sorry, they are kind of specific. I'm thinking of going abroad through my denomination, but not necessarily as a missionary.

Some great questions so far. I'd only ask for more specifics regarding your call to be a missionary.

Is this your first missionary trip?

Did you do short-term missions first?

Are there other areas you would like to visit, or avoid?

Are you working as part of a larger missionary team in Saipan?

Do you look forward or dread returning to the States?

shart1780 said:
I've heard that the McDonalds hamburgers in some other countries differ greatly from ours. Is this true, and if so, how do they differ?

I don't know. I never go to McDonalds in the mainland. Only when I'm in Saipan. When I'm Stateside, I like to go to restaurants that we don't have in Saipan--like Taco Bell, Carl's Jr.,Olive Garden, LaRosas etc.

I'm actually pretty satisfied with the choice of restaurants in Saipan. My Favorite Restaurant In The Whole World is there: Coffee Care (Don't let the pedestrian name fool you. It is the perfect restaurant).

MrsSpringsteen said:
Why did you decide to become a missionary?

To be honest, I can't really remember. Isn't that pathetic!

I don't know. It's ironic, but I guess when you grow up in a very religious environment becoming a missionary is something that you can do without necessarily having a Big Reason. It sounds exciting, it sounds challenging. If you have the mindset that sharing your faith is a given, then going somewhere overseas to do it can almost be considered a "lark", an exciting way to do what you'd be doing at home anyway.

I know I was NOT one of those kids who dreamed of becoming a missionary as a kid, enraptured by the mission stories at church and dreamng of going to 'darkest Africa' and all that.

But in high school I considered going on the short term (10 day) mission trips that that my church-based high school took every year. During spring break, they'd go to places like Mexico, the Domincan Republic, Jamaica. Pitch in with building a church or a school building and have a few days of fun and come back. In the end I always decided to spend my spring beak on other more appealing adventures. (Both years I made that decision, my spring breaks sucked! So, maybe God was trying to tell me something. . . hmmmm!)

Anyway, my first stint as a missionary was between my sophomore and junior year of college. I took a year off of school and my friend J and I headed out to the truly tiny and fairly remote islands of Chuuk. I went, again, because it sounded exciting, and since I always regretted missing those mission trips in high school, this seemed like a good way to "make up for it."

So that year was the hardest and best year of my life. . .I don't think I've ever felt so alive, and after that missions was "in my blood." I knew I wanted to go back overseas, and the sooner the better. Life outside America agreed with me. I liked doing something, that to me, really made a difference. When I was in Chuuk, I found it was possible to deeply love 35 people all at once (the students I taught). I edited the religion page of my college newspaper (my college was a church-affliated, so I actually was 'sent out' through my school), became the student missions director on my campus, helped my future wife (who had also been a student missionary in Palau) with planning a missions conference.

When we both finished our degrees (she her masters, me my bachelors, both in education), I was raring to get back out to the Pacific--Chuuk specifically. She was not so raring. She'd gone into a lot of debt to get her masters and was ready to live a "normal" life. We couldn't really afford to go to Chuuk since the pay there was like $450 a month. But then the principal of the school in Saipan heard about us and recruited us. We went there as a compromise. It gave me a little bit of the mission experience (it wasn't as remote as Chuuk was) but was "civilized" enough and the pay sufficient enough for my wife to happy with it.

So off we went, and there we've been for the past 8 years. (Now it's my wife who doesn't want to leave. She's principal of the school now and planning to build a new campus).

Angela Harlem said:
In a nutshell, what is the point of being a missionary?

Also, do you find there's a sense of isolation in those regions, micronesia, polynesia, etc? People say Australia is isolated (beyond physically) and we live how the rest of the world did in the 80s, that it's like taking a small step back in time (though this is changing). Do you identify with that?

I think the point of being a missionary differs for different missionaries.

Some people believe they've got to because whole portions of the world are hanging on the very lip of hell, and if they don't do something about it, those people will burn forever.

I don't really buy into that, mainly because of what such a belief implies about God.

Some people go primarily for humanitarian purposes. To feed the hungry. Help the poor. Heal the sick. Or provide education (in my case).

For me, it's that, but a bit more than that.

Some people go because they believe that it's what God wants them to do (for either of the above reasons or perhaps others I haven't thought of). Christians often quote what's known as the Great Commission in the Gospel of Matthew where Jesus tells his disciples to "go make to all nations making disciples, baptizing them, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded" (Strangely he failed to mention burning people at the stake, forced conversions, and importing Western culture as part and parcel of Christianity. . .all of which, as I'm sure you know are part of the checkered past of missions).

So that sense, of this is what God wants me to do, I think, is true for me.

Some people go because they feel like they have good news, something wonderful to share and they want to pass it on.

That's the "point" of it for me, I suppose. I don't feel like I have to force anyone to become a Christian or join my denomination. In my classes, I have worship with students every morning before class. I talk about God, about my relationship with Him, and what He means to me, and leave it to the kids to decide. I just want the people I come in contact with to know that God loves them (and I'm talking about people who already believe in God here. Far too many of us believe in God but aren't sure how He feels about us) and they can trust Him. The decisions they make from there are up to them. I've always believed that's not my job to convert anyone, just to share.

And of course I love working with kids. And I didn't want teach in denominational school in the States because mostly only Seventh-day Adventist (that's my denom) kids go there and they are all "been there, done that." And I didn't want to teach in the public schools because I wanted to be free to talk about my faith. I like encouraging them to think about their futures, to challenge to live out their dreams.

I guess for me the point of missions is to make a positive difference in the lives of people. The spiritual component is part of that larger picture, or at least IMHO encompasses all of that picture.

In Saipan, I don't think we're that far behind. Maybe six months to a year behind in terms of the cell phone styles! But we get new movies before anyone else in America (because of the time difference, premiere dates arrive in Saipan first). I wouldn't presume to judge about Australia since I've only been there once, but I'd guess that Australia is not really "behind." It's just the pop culture is different, and to the average American that "appears" to be be "stuck in the 80's." But i have no idea what i"m talking about.

One thing I will say is that people in overseas seem to be more aware of the wider world and while, American pop culture, has a strong influence, that's exactly what it is--just an "influence." Whereas in America, there is nothing else. American culture is not an influence, it's Life. In that sense, I often feel "outside" or "distanced" from American culture, but I like that.

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

What denomination are you affiliated with, if any?

When you first became a missionary (like whenever was the first time you moved away), how did you handle the transition?

Do missionaries simply get paid through church affiliation, or do you have to have another job too?

I'm Seventh-day Adventist.

The transition was not as difficult as I expected it to be. The hardest part of being there the first time (this was in Chuuk when I was a student missionary) was adjusting to teaching. I had no idea what I was doing (I foolishly paid no attention during the crash course in teaching they gave us in Hawaii during our orientation). That, and I hated coconuts. (I got over that though).
The real culture shock was when I came back to the States after that year in Chuuk. I was a mess for about 4 months after I got back. I hated being back in America. It was too weird for me, and all I wanted was to go back to Chuuk.

I don't know what other denoms do (or non-denom organizations like Youth With a Mission) but in my denomination, there are several categories of missionary (excluding those who go on the 10 day short term trips). Student missionaries or "SMs" as we call them, are college students who go out for 10 months to a year. They usually receive a small stipend. The amount varies depending on where you go. Your housing, transportation, insurance etc is all paid for. All you need money for, really is food. I made about $180 a month as an SM. (However, if you go to teach English in Korea or Japan as an SM you make a LOT more). You have to fundraise for your own airfare out there.

The next category is an AVS (Adventist Volunteer Service) missionary, which is what I am. You go out for two years and are generally a trained professional (I'm a certified teacher). Your airfare out and back is paid and they provide you with a car, and a steep rent subsidy (usually you live in housing owned by the mission by still pay a small rent). The trade off is your salary is pretty low. (I make about $12,000 a year, gross). You can reup every two years (which is what I've been doing).

Finally, there are IDS (Inter-Division Service) missionaries which are your Standard Missionary. These people go out for six years, are trained professionals, and receive training at a churh run institute of missions before going out. These people are often doctors, dentists, administrators, and other "high level" professionals. They get a lot of perks--airfare out and back, paid two or three month "furloughs" every two years and a whole bunch of other stuff. Still salary is low (I'm not sure how much though).

In all cases, salary is paid by the organization (school, church, hospital) that hires you not the church back home or the chuch bureacracy. There are some missions organizations run by church members (not official church organizations) that raise funds from members in the States and live on funds provided by their "support team."

In general, most missionaries in my denom. do not have another job and are often discouraged from having another one. Most missionaries are comfortable enough financially that they don't feel they need one.

nbcrusader said:

Are there other areas you would like to visit, or avoid?

Are you working as part of a larger missionary team in Saipan?

Do you look forward or dread returning to the States?

After my wife and I took our 8th graders to Seoul, South Korea we talked about how it might be fun to move there for two years and teach English. (But mainly because you can make a lot of money doing that. . .not very holy motives I'm afraid).

The Asian mainland appeals to me. I wouldn't mind going to South America.

There's nowhere really I'd want to avoid. I've often felt like a bit of imposter claiming to be a missionary since my life is so easy (I don't live in a hut, I have cable tv). And I've wondered how I'd handle living somewhere really remote where I DID live in a hut and battled malaria among people who've never heard the name of Jesus. (I read a missions magazine called Frontiers put out by Adventist Frontier Missions, a lay organization that sends people to places like that, and let me tell you--those people are the real deal). I think I'd be scared to go, but in the end I think I'd love it. At least that's how it was in Chuuk.

We are part of a larger team, in the sense that we have 15 teachers and staff working on the two campuses of our school. There is also a Seventh-day Adventist church on Saipan and a Seventh-day Adventist dental clinic which we work in cooperation with. Over all three entities is the Guam Micronesia Mission (based in Guam) which oversees all the SDA mission work (schools primarily, but also clinics and churches) in Micronesia. Next week my wife and I will fly to Hawaii to meet with the Guam Micronesia Mission leaders and all the principals of the SDA schools in Micronesia for annual meetings and the oreintation for all the new teachers going out to Micronesia (about 70 to 90 each year, most of which are student missionaries. Only Saipan and Guam hire strictly professional, certified educators).

Well, I'm in the states now. We're here every summer. And I always look forward to these visits. However, I dread moving back here to live. I love being a U.S. citizen, don't get me wrong, but sometimes the best way to appreciate being an American is to live outside the U.S. (Which technically, I only live out side the States culturally because the Marianas are a U.S. territory and everyone born there is a U.S. citizen. It's kinda like living on American Samoa, I suppose. I guess I get the best of both worlds).

Very interesting read. :up:

We have the same birthday so you are obviously a wonderful person, too. Have you been as stressed out as I have been this summer? :wink:

joyfulgirl said:
Very interesting read. :up:

We have the same birthday so you are obviously a wonderful person, too. Have you been as stressed out as I have been this summer? :wink:

:)

Thanks! It's comin' up. Just two weeks more!

This summer hasn't been too bad.

maycocksean said:

:)

Thanks! It's comin' up. Just two weeks more!

This summer hasn't been too bad.

Well that's good. Mine's starting to ease up a bit, too.

I'll have real questions later. :)

I really enjoyed your perspective and the detailed description of what your mission life is like. I served a mission also and definately relate to the reasons you gave as why you serve a mission.

I really went to make a difference in people's lives, however that worked out. I actually served in the states: in Tennessee, Kentucky and Southern Illinois. I did have great experiences and stuff like that.

Have you run into people who are really hostile? Have you been mugged or anything like that?

mediaman44 said:
I really enjoyed your perspective and the detailed description of what your mission life is like. I served a mission also and definately relate to the reasons you gave as why you serve a mission.

I really went to make a difference in people's lives, however that worked out. I actually served in the states: in Tennessee, Kentucky and Southern Illinois. I did have great experiences and stuff like that.

Have you run into people who are really hostile? Have you been mugged or anything like that?

I'm guessing you're LDS? (Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I just assumed based on the Utah location and the fact that you referred to your mission in the U.S. I've got a couple Mormon friends in Saipan).

No one's been super hostile but to tell you the truth, I'm not a position where I really put myself out there (the way those, that say go door to door would). They come to us, essentially, since I work in a mission school, so obviously there has to be certain baseline level of openness from the get-go. I did have one student a couple of years back who was a strident atheist. I'm not sure why her parents sent her to our school (they weren't believers either. Dad-atheist, Mom-Buddhist). I'll never forget--her freshman year she volunteered to do all the work on the class newspaper. I should have known something was up when she insisted on doing all the work, including making the copies, at home. She put out this harsh critique of religious belief, including texts from Deutronomy talking about stoning children if they disrespect their parents. Quite a scandal.

But I admired her guts. And in the end we ended up with a great deal of mutual respect, and we still touch base every now and then even today.

Couple of other stories of "hostility"

--My friend J and I went to the Netherlands in the summer of 95 for three weeks right after our year in Chuuk. We participated in a public youth evangelism campaign in Utrecht. I had a lot of good experiences (including a really special girl that I met. Motives were definitely mixed on that one, I'm afraid). But it was HARD! Standing out on the street corner or in a mall, handing out leaflets. I hated it. And people were NOT interested. Your ego took a serious beating.

--This happened to my friend J, when he was participating in a door-to-door prayer ministry in Tennessee (where you go door to door and offer to pray for whatever needs the person has. I've done it before in college, and again a lot of good experiences. Most people were very open and appreciative). He goes to the door, and says "Hi, we're just going through the neighborhood, offering to pray with/for people." The guy responds. "Well, actually I'm a pastor and we're already Christians. So no thanks."
Guess they were all prayed up. Lol. I always thought that was really funny and ironic.

To be honest, I've always disliked doing the door to door, street evangelism thing and I confess I have no good reasons. I just hate bothering people and I hate being rejected.

I've got a LOT more stories about hostility from the few years I spent selling Amway! lol! What a nightmare.

maycocksean said:

I'm guessing you're LDS? (Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I just assumed based on the Utah location and the fact that you referred to your mission in the U.S. I've got a couple Mormon friends in Saipan).

Yes I am LDS. I was just browsing your other thread on conversion stories. Wow! powerful stuff.

What is the hardest thing about being a missionary? What is the easiest?

For me the hardest thing was continuing to "keep on keeping on" as they say. I did alot of door to door "preaching" (we call it tracting). In certain areas the local congregations were small and didn't offer much support so we would go out to the country and meet with people. Usually only 1 out of every 100 doors we knock on will let us in to teach a lesson. That gets discouraging some times.

I notice that you are from Orlando. I used to live in Winter Haven about 10 or 11 years ago. Where in Orlando do you live? Did you go to the open house for the Orlando LDS temple in 93 or 94?

Anyway this is an awesome thread.

My parents were (still are) missionaries and we went to Indonesia when I was 3. I spent 13 years there, many of them in a mission boarding school. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on TCKs (third culture kids) and the decisions missionary parents have to make in regards to how to best raise their kids.

I know one of the hot topics in the circles in which I grew up was the "home school" vs. "boarding school" debate. If you kept your kids at home (usually out in an isolated jungle village) at least you could have a more developed family relationship, but then they missed out on some crucial social/cultural interaction with other kids from their home country. Many of the kids I knew who were homeschooled have had a REALLY hard time when they come back to the States because they have no frame of reference outside of their village experiences.

On the other hand, kids like me were separated from our parents at a very young age (6/7) and end up sort of emotionally stunted and distant from our families. The up-side of course is being independent and capable as well as completely comfortable in the "globalized" world.

In the case of raising kids in a modern society (as you've indicated you live in in Saipan) that isn't YOUR home culture, there are still plenty of issues as to which set of values they will pick up and how they will adjust to living between worlds.

So, I guess I am curious as to your thoughts on this. I don't know if you and your wife have children or not, but I imagine it's something you're aware of. It's definitely one of the concerns I hear from people who are interested in missions who want to pick my brain because I have personal experience as a missionary kid.

:wave: Hi sula, welcome back BTW

Since maycocksean invited other people with missionary experience to answer questions in this thread, I would really be interested to hear more about what your "readjustment" experience was like, as well as those of some of your homeschooled friends. And at the risk of putting words into his mouth, my impression is that maycocksean and his wife are in the no-kids-yet-but-seriously-considering-it stage, so I'm guessing he likely would be quite interested to hear your perspective as well.

Last edited:
Plus I have a couple questions for maycocksean.

Is the school you teach at a Seventh Day Adventist school? How would you describe the "mission" of the school itself, and how does that mission fit into the context of Saipan? (religion-wise, social-service-provision-wise or otherwise)

Also, I see from Wikipedia that 86%(!) of Northern Mariana Islanders speak a language other than English--Tagalog, Chinese, Chamorro, Carolinian--at home (though I'm guessing that figure is probably a little lower in the Saipan area). Does this create any problems for the schools? Are language barriers a significant issue socially in any way?

And...again just based on quickie online research...I gather much of the history of the Marianas follows the usual (for that region) one-colonial-land-grab-after-another trajectory...with the usual associated unpleasantries--forced evacuations and conversions, land dispossession, forced labor, etc. Does this have any lingering aftereffects on social relations among the various groups? (e.g., the way in some areas of Hawaii there are serious tensions between Native Hawaiians and more recently arrived groups)

Last edited:
yolland said:
:wave: Hi sula, welcome back BTW

Since maycocksean invited other people with missionary experience to answer questions in this thread, I would really be interested to hear more about what your "readjustment" experience was like, as well as those of some of your homeschooled friends. And at the risk of putting words into his mouth, my impression is that maycocksean and his wife are in the no-kids-yet-but-seriously-considering-it stage, so I'm guessing he likely would be quite interested to hear your perspective as well.

Indeed I would.

I was about to say the same thing. I'd love to hear your take on a lot of the questions I've been asked too.

mediaman44 said:

What is the hardest thing about being a missionary? What is the easiest?

Again because my "mission" post is pretty easy, I think the hardest challenges are more about staying focused outward, and starting to live selfishly, rather than maintaining a "mission mindset."

The easiest thing about being a missionary is living on a beautiful tropical island with white sand beaches and crystalline waters.
mediaman44 said:

I notice that you are from Orlando. I used to live in Winter Haven about 10 or 11 years ago. Where in Orlando do you live? Did you go to the open house for the Orlando LDS temple in 93 or 94?

I lived in South Orlando, Pine Hills area until high school, and then we moved up to Altamonte Springs.

I didn't go to the Orlando LDS open house, since I'm not Mormon myself, and back in those days, I didn't know anyone who was.

sulawesigirl4 said:
My parents were (still are) missionaries and we went to Indonesia when I was 3. I spent 13 years there, many of them in a mission boarding school. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on TCKs (third culture kids) and the decisions missionary parents have to make in regards to how to best raise their kids.

Tough decisions, no doubt. Again, as Yolland said you'd probably have more insight than I would since my wife and I don't have kids yet. But of course, if you know me, I have an opinion anyway. I know it's hard for American kids to grow up outside of America and then return and deal with adjusting, but just because something's hard and sometimes painful doesn't make it bad. I also think it's hard for kids who are raised in a mixed-race home (I did, and my children will too, as I am black and my wife is white). But in both cases, the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. Both my wife and I WANT our kids to spend some time outside of the U.S. during their childhoods. We want them to have a broader perspective of the world, and while that may make them a little "different" compared to kids born and raised in America, I think in the long run, they will benefit. (You can confirm or deny whether this is so, I suppose).

I know a number of TCK's (now adults) and while I think all of them had a hard time at points in their childhood when they returned to America, all of them eventually adjusted and are remarkable people today who no longer do well in American society, but actually do better, I think as a result of their experiences living abroad.

There are always "trade-offs" in raising children. I think there is a cost to raising a kid in America too.

yolland said:

Is the school you teach at a Seventh Day Adventist school? How would you describe the "mission" of the school itself, and how does that mission fit into the context of Saipan? (religion-wise, social-service-provision-wise or otherwise)

Yes, it is a Seventh-day Adventist school. Like the Catholic church, our denom, has a very large bureaucratic organization (though it is strictly bureaucratic. . .for example, the president of our church has no special spiritual authority, nor do any of the other church "workers.") which includes schools all over the world. The "mission" of the school (simply put. I think we have an eloquent mission statement but I can't remember what it is, sadly) is to provide a wholistic Christian education to the students who attend there. The school wants to give the kids a solid academic, physical, and spiritual foundation (This approach emphasizing good health in addition to academic success and spiritual growth is generally a feature of all Adventist school and most of SDA schools have something to that affect in their mottos or mission statements). Also there is the hope that students will develop a relationship with God, accept Jesus as their Savior, and ideally, become members of our church. In fact, one of my wife's primary reasons for wanting to build a new campus, and expand to a full high school (we end at 9th grade right now) is that generally older kids are more likely to be in a position to join the church than younger kids are.

How we fit into Saipan, is that we provide a private school education, which many parents want since the local public schools are not that great. We do have competition, probably about a dozen other private schools (including two that are decidely non-religious), but I think what we offer is a Christian education without ramming it down the kids throats (the way some of the other religous-based private schools do) and because we are one of the smallest schools on the island, we provide a "family" type atmosphere and an excelletn student/teacher ratio. The teachers, students, and parents at our school, are unusually close, I think.
yolland said:

Also, I see from Wikipedia that 86%(!) of Northern Mariana Islanders speak a language other than English--Tagalog, Chinese, Chamorro, Carolinian--at home (though I'm guessing that figure is probably a little lower in the Saipan area). Does this create any problems for the schools? Are language barriers a significant issue socially in any way?

Language is generally not a problem with the indigenous students (which is the majority of oru student population). If anything, there is more the concern that the younger generation is losing their language because so many of them don't speak Chamorro or Carolinian very well, and many times don't speak it much at home. One thing our school lacks which I wish we had, was a program to teach the local language so that we could be contributing to keeping it alive. A good marker is that in Chuuk you encountered many people who didn't speak English at all, and as a result I learned a fair amount of Chuukese during my year there. But in Saipan, after 8 years I only know Hafa Adai (hello) and Si Yuse Mase (Thank you) in Chamorro, and nothing in Carolinian. That gives you a sense of how little the local languages are spoken.

Right now, contract workers from the Phiippines and China especially, outnumber indigenous people so that contributes to a large part of that percentage, and in truth the percentage is probably highest on Saipan. It's the most populated island and thus the one with largest concentraton of contract workers. Most of these people are adults having left family behind in their home countries, so they are in the minority in the schools. For the Korean and Chinese students in our school, the language barrier is definitely a challenge.
yolland said:

And...again just based on quickie online research...I gather much of the history of the Marianas follows the usual (for that region) one-colonial-land-grab-after-another trajectory...with the usual associated unpleasantries--forced evacuations and conversions, land dispossession, forced labor, etc. Does this have any lingering aftereffects on social relations among the various groups? (e.g., the way in some areas of Hawaii there are serious tensions between Native Hawaiians and more recently arrived groups)

There's DEFINTELY tension between the indigenous people and the Filipinos and Chinese as well as other ethnic groups that make up contract workers. The racial hieracrchy, IMO, runs something roughly like this:

At the top, Chamorros, followed by
Carolinians
Japanese
Other Micronesians like Paluans
Americans (white, or black doesn't seem to matter. It's wonderful!)

Generally, there's not a lot of prejudice amongst these groups, though it's never totally gone.

But next down are the Filipinos followed by
the Koreans
Chinese
Bangladeshi's looked down upon by all.

Again this is an extreme simplification (and may reveal some of my own prejudices and stereotypes as well) but it gives you a rough approximation. A lot of the tensions come from the simple fact that the locals are "outnumbered" and of course the misunderstandings that come from different languages, customs, and cultures. A common stereotype is the Chinese garment worker who wanders into the road and gets hit by a car, the sentiment being that "these people" don't know how to walk down the road without getting themselves killed.

Local culture, though has become a mixture of all that has come before--Spanish, German, Japanese, Filipino, and Korean, as well as various other Micronesians. Paluans and Chuukese in particular seem to have a good sized population on Saipan. Intermarriage is extremely common, and very few "locals" are "pure Chamorro" (such a thing basically have disappeared during Spanish rule anyway) or "pure Carolinian."

However, this does NOT mean that there aren't distinctions made. According to Article 12 of the CNMI constitution, only those of Chamorro or Carolinian descent may own land in the CNMI. So, essentially, all land on Saipan is either owned by the government, or by indigenous people. The rest of us rent or lease. This was set up as a safeguard to prevent outsiders from buying up all the land and displacing the locals.

Back
Top Bottom