Another 2011 AFL thread - still pretending GWS is all just a bad dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken Oi jest soy Can I just say that I think Neil Craig handled things really well and I have more respect for him than ever? I honestly think that the Crows problems are deeper than the coach, so for him to take it all on the chin is remarkable. Showdown just got marginally more interesting.

Yeah, and the vast majority have a stronger respect for him for it. He'll still be involved with the club, I believe.

Picks for the weekend:

North vs Carlton (what a dull game for Friday night!)
Bulldogs vs West Coast
Geelong vs Melbourne
Gold Coast vs St Kilda
Freo vs Hawks
Collingwood sigh :( vs Essendon
Adelaide?! vs Port Adelaide on the road at home

And ugh, it's another lame round with three teams having a bye.

Carlton
Eagles, though I wouldn't be surprised at all if we drop this one. We have some big outs (Kennedy and Naitanui) and I'm only tipping us because of the Dogs' form as of late
Geelong
Saints
Hawks
Collingwood, though the Dons are quite the giant slayers...
Port

Carlton
West Coast
Geelong
St. Kilda
Hawthorn
Collingwood
Adelaide

What a shitty round (the last time I said that, it ended up being inadvertently awesome, so fingers crossed).

Carlton
Eagles, though I wouldn't be surprised at all if we drop this one. We have some big outs (Kennedy and Naitanui) and I'm only tipping us because of the Dogs' form as of late

I didn't realise this. Hope that doesn't bode too ill; would suck if the Dogs won.

What a shitty round (the last time I said that, it ended up being inadvertently awesome, so fingers crossed).

Hah, I was thinking this too.

I really just want that North vs Carlton game to be unexpectedly good, since I'll be bitter I'm back in Melbourne rather than in Auckland seeing The Chills. Those bastards and their Axver unfriendly tour scheduling!

Hah, I was thinking this too.

I really just want that North vs Carlton game to be unexpectedly good, since I'll be bitter I'm back in Melbourne rather than in Auckland seeing The Chills. Those bastards and their Axver unfriendly tour scheduling!

Well, we choked against the Dogs, so anything's possible. The Roos are a pretty mediocre team, but if they have any sense of pride (I haven't observed that they do), they'll give us a challenge on their home turf (such as it is; there are so many Melbourne teams, we barely have to travel).

A competitive game would be fun, but I'll gladly take the boost in percentage if it isn't. :wink:

2 points in 14 minutes is enough offensive output to give any team a chance to steal the lead, but the Roos are bringing this into some Port vs. Bye territory.

EDIT: 10 minutes left before quarter time and our 2 points still doubles theirs.

Ugh, our kicking isn't worthy of the Bye. We should be up by 30. Even the Roos don't suck hard enough to let us hang around. The funny thing is that I truly had no idea they were this awful up until now, even though it's a tie game. They're the only ones kicking goals though, so good on them for that.

I liked when a Carlton goal was set up 30m out and we managed to kick it laterally, out of bounds.

Hahahaha this game just keeps getting worse. Every player on each side wound up on the ground holding an appendage at some point in that quarter.

Carlton - Can't score a goal to save their fucking lives. I never thought I would be this nervous watching Carlton attempt a goal...maybe Gold Coast or Port. This shit isn't professional in any case.
Roos - Can't attempt a disposal without flubbing it in some way. We are absolutely slaughtering them in marks right now. I feel as if they're unable to distinguish between shades of blue, like this post would be illegible to a North player.

Never thought I'd find myself barracking for Carlton : shudder :, but the thought of North Melbourne leapfrogging Essendon on the ladder was just too nauseating, so I sold my soul to the devil and I'm glad Carlton made it over the line in the end.

Hopefully next week I can go back to hating them. Don't remember who they're playing.

I liked when a Carlton goal was set up 30m out and we managed to kick it laterally, out of bounds.

That was too funny/tragic.

I feel as if they're unable to distinguish between shades of blue, like this post would be illegible to a North player.

:lmao:

Hopefully next week I can go back to hating them. Don't remember who they're playing.

Melbourne, who couldn't interest me less. Our last match against them was embarrassing; rained a great deal, I believe, so the ball was like greased flubber. We won like 20-5 or something. Anyway, it's a home game, so I'll tip them without bias.

Judd really won the game for us. Definitely a monkey-see-monkey-do situation: once his teammates realized it was legal to kick a goal from 50m out, they jumped right on board. I shouted out probably the strangest exclamation my neighbors have ever heard (and this is an apartment filled with young adults) when he managed that goal: "JUDDDIIIEEEEEE!!!!! CARN BLOOOOZZEEE"

I shouted out probably the strangest exclamation my neighbors have ever heard (and this is an apartment filled with young adults) when he managed that goal: "JUDDDIIIEEEEEE!!!!! CARN BLOOOOZZEEE"

In an Australian accent? :wink:

Can't believe he's still paying more than $2 for the Brownlow. Nothing is more certain.

Trying to decide whether I can get on the Judd Brownlow/Franklin Coleman/Collingwood premiers triple. In my heart of hearts I don't think I can.

Melbourne, who couldn't interest me less. Our last match against them was embarrassing; rained a great deal, I believe, so the ball was like greased flubber. We won like 20-5 or something. Anyway, it's a home game, so I'll tip them without bias.

Being home or away when it's a game between two Melbourne-based teams is practically meaningless nowadays, since there are only two inner-city venues instead of all the old suburban grounds. :sigh:

(Though there keeps being talk of Carlton re-using Princes Park for actual fixtures. Anybody know if that's still on the table or dead in the water now?)

I shouted out probably the strangest exclamation my neighbors have ever heard (and this is an apartment filled with young adults) when he managed that goal: "JUDDDIIIEEEEEE!!!!! CARN BLOOOOZZEEE"

You're doing us proud. :up:

I think we'll see games at Eureka Stadium in North Ballarat before we see games at Optus Oval again. (Not being sarcastic, I think there will be games there in a few years. North vs Port, etc)

Seriously, what is the hostility to using the suburban grounds? Obviously the MCG is preferable for really big clashes like Collingwood vs Carlton vs Essendon, but I really don't see why the Bombers for example shouldn't play their more minor games (say, North, Bulldogs, Port, Gold Coast) at Windy Hill, somewhere with actual atmosphere and heritage, rather than a soulless and half-empty Etihad.

Well, besides the fact that apparently Windy Hill has gone to shit and Essendon's soon to move its base to somewhere in Tullamarine. :(

i know a lot of afl fans give the nrl shit for still using suburban grounds, but a packed leichhardt oval is infinitely preferable to a 30% full anz stadium.

places like melbourne's new stadium are the exception, because it's right sized for the job.

You get around the city, you'd have seen the state of the suburban grounds? It would be impossible, logistically. I walked past Glenferrie Oval the other day. It's on a narrow street in a residential area. You couldn't play Hawthorn vs Frankston there. I've seen that, Whitten Oval, Princes Park and Windy Hill, and logistically, you couldn't play AFL games there. No way in hell.

You get around the city, you'd have seen the state of the suburban grounds? It would be impossible, logistically. I walked past Glenferrie Oval the other day. It's on a narrow street in a residential area. You couldn't play Hawthorn vs Frankston there. I've seen that, Whitten Oval, Princes Park and Windy Hill, and logistically, you couldn't play AFL games there. No way in hell.

How's it any more logistically difficult than it was 30 years ago?

Windy Hill in terms of public access could hardly be better located - a high-capacity tram line and a railway station basically right next door (and until a few years ago, a tram spur ran from Fletcher St right up to the gates), and Citylink is not far. Princes Park is similar - shitloads of trams on Royal Parade, a stone's throw from Jewell station, and Citylink and the Eastern Freeway are both pretty close.

Obviously some wouldn't be used again - I'm surprised anything is held at Arden St Oval these days - but I don't think they should all be written off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom