Another 2011 AFL thread - still pretending GWS is all just a bad dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the longest and most redundant sentence of all time:

The entrant judged to be the most creative and original in their answer to the question “Why should you win a trip for you and three mates to the 2011 Toyota AFL Grand Final and the 2011 Telstra Premiership NRL Grand Final?” (in 25 words or less) will win the major prize, a trip for four (4) people to the 2011 Toyota AFL Grand Final at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Saturday 1st October 2011 and the 2011 Telstra Premiership NRL Grand Final at ANZ Stadium on Sunday 2nd October 2011.

Still wish I could enter, but my travel costs would be considerably more than the $15,000 AUS approximation.

Wow. St. Kilda didn't score once for nearly 45 minutes and the Roos still lost.

Hahaha, says it all.

Glad the Saints won, not just because they were playing North Mediocrity but also because it's saved my picks from looking utterly ordinary this week.

Hahaha, says it all.

Glad the Saints won, not just because they were playing North Mediocrity but also because it's saved my picks from looking utterly ordinary this week.

Yeah, you called that one. I had no idea they've got one of the stronger defenses in the league based on points against. Their offense is absolutely hideous though...they need better forwards. Both of these teams need a lot of things, but it was still a vaguely entertaining game, even if it was akin to watching two paintings dry.

Poor Nick Riewoldt just needs to find some form, desperately.

I really can't believe St Kilda made the final last year, given how they've been going this season.

James Kelly's latest tweet:

@shannonboourns got a little lost and couldn't find the big sale! #flusteredshopper

scaled.php

:lol:

Hideous round of footy. Essendon beating Geelong, Dean Bailey losing, Collingwood winning, and Richmond somehow getting done by Carlton by 17 goals :(

Axver said:
I always assumed it was BL because the Bears were BRIS. I bet I'm 100% wrong though.

Most of the time, anything Brisbane is referred to Brisbane Lions or BL, most notably in branding.

I'd say it's a token gesture that preserves the notion that the the merger of the Brisbane Bears with the Fitzroy Lions in '96 was just that, and not a takeover (although I'd still be peeved if I were an old Fitzroy supporter that they replaced the Fitzroy Lion with that hideous lion they have now on the guernsey).

(although I'd still be peeved if I were an old Fitzroy supporter that they replaced the Fitzroy Lion with that hideous lion they have now on the guernsey).

I've heard a number of people saying that, and I just don't get it. That Fitzroy Lion looked terribly dated. It needed to go, and the new Lion looks much, much better.

It's a footy jumper. They are supposed to be simplistic and symbolic, not a canvas upon which to showcase intricate and inimitable drawings. That Lion was such an emblematic reminder of old Fitzroy... And now it's gone. That would have spelt the end of trying to extract any resonance with the merged product for me, as I'm sure was the case with many old Fitzroy fans.

It's a footy jumper. They are supposed to be simplistic and symbolic, not a canvas upon which to showcase intricate and inimitable drawings. That Lion was such an emblematic reminder of old Fitzroy... And now it's gone. That would have spelt the end of trying to extract any resonance with the merged product for me, as I'm sure was the case with many old Fitzroy fans.

Honestly, who cares? If a footy jumper looks like it had its last breath of life in the 1970s, it's time for it to be updated, no mater how symbolic it is. Clubs evolve; why can't jumpers? Some jumpers tend to be pretty timeless (you can't imagine Essendon or Richmond wearing much else, for instance), but others sure aren't, and I'd put the old Fitzroy Lion in that category.

And thank god the Bulldogs moved on from the nineties. Let's hope Gold Coast soon moves on from their already outdated jumper too.

Different sport, but it's not like the Chicago Cubs have kept the same jersey all these years, and they're one of the most loathe to change clubs you're going to find in any sport

cobl04 said:
They technically still play. Premier C Division in the Ammos.

True that. I'm kind of keen to get along to see them play one day, would be fascinating. But the key thing with them is that they aren't the Lions, they are the Roys/Reds. Brisbane own the Lion and have engineered the species into something that is a far cry from the old Fitzroy one. So if Brisbane aren't Fitzroy and are no longer the Lions of old, there's little left to salvage of old Fitzroy in the AFL. A song with rewritten lyrics, father/son rule until that's exhausted, and the red, blue and yellow if they play in Melbourne (if there is one interstate club that should be exempt from playing in Hawthorn's Launceston "home" games, it should be Brisbane Lions).

Merger doesn't seem the right word for it anymore. A more dignified death would have been if the North Melbourne - Fitzroy merger eventuated instead back in '96. That club itself would have died by now, but at least both clubs would have been exterminated like that, rather than Fitzroy alone being strung along to a gradual and unspoken extermination, as has happened to them since they were swallowed up by Brisbane.

And that would have spared the AFL of having to support the basket case that is North Melbourne, as they have to now. Indeed, we all would have been spared the laughing stock that has been the Kangaroos' yearly announcement of which untapped football territory they wish to relocate themselves to.

They only got 23,000 to Footy Park for the Adelaide game the other night. I know the team is out of form and the weather was horrendous, but South Australian football must be at it's lowest ebb. The Crows were once the league's biggest club. Now they seem more resemblant of the Western Bulldogs. It's a shocking fall from grace, which would have been unfathomable 10 years ago.

They only got 23,000 to Footy Park for the Adelaide game the other night. I know the team is out of form and the weather was horrendous, but South Australian football must be at it's lowest ebb. The Crows were once the league's biggest club. Now they seem more resemblant of the Western Bulldogs. It's a shocking fall from grace, which would have been unfathomable 10 years ago.

Hardly surprising, yet so disappointing. The weather, like you said, was awful, it was pouring throughout the day and even before that. And of course, we lost 6 in a row. Once football moves to AO and we start playing better again, then things will be way up as they used to be, I'd guess.

The old lion looked terribly decrepit. Seriously, it looked like it just had a single dangling bucked tooth, and more like it was laughing than roaring. Plus it was hell of pixelated. Sometimes you should just forget one moment about tradition and realise that you have a shitty, dated logo. The new one is still in the same position, for god's sake.

I just see so many shitty complaints about it on Bigfooty that, being someone with some sort of knowledge in the design field, I feel that it doesn't look like the goddamn paddle pop lion any more than, you know, a real lion does, which just makes the complaints sound absurd. If you want a bad new vector logo, look at the Crows or Hawks one. The Lion is perfectly competent.

Fitzroy were decrepit, so it's almost appropriate! We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, because not only do I prefer the old less-elaborate one (if it needs updating, maintain the shape and the pose and remove it's one tooth - maybe it barracked for Collingwood?), but I feel it's rather inconsiderate of Fitzroy supporters.

That's cool, sorry if I sounded like I was getting worked up about it haha, I just feel that there's a lot of unwarranted hate towards it. As for the Fitzroy supporters, without trying to sound inconsiderate, they're the ones supporting a team now based in Brisbane. I think the club is doing enough to respect its heritage while still trying to pave its own path.

One of my Sydneysider cousins just joined "The hardest part of playing AFL is telling your parents your(sic) gay" on Facebook. I guess I won't invite her to my Grand Final party.

The shittest thing about all those FB groups is undoubtedly the use of "your" as "you're" IN EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom