And where are the days, when they looked for something other?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never say never again,, Or how is it that bond title goes ???

I hope not

yeah, i guess you're right...but man, i just cannot BELEIVE...i mean i CAN NOT BELEIVE what U2 turned into....

if someone in 1997 told me what would they do today - i would think he's nuts...completley....

There are some great songs on HTDAAB so its a great step forward from ATYCLB that just sucked IMO ( Careful now, this comment could get me killed )

The next one could go all the way,, Just dont know which way they wanna go..

Achtung forever, and all that geek crap

Last edited:
Aardvark747 said:
(terrible Bond film - in fact, most dont include it in the series!)

They don't include in the "official" Broccoli series. But that's another story...

yimou said:
There are some great songs on HTDAAB so its a great step forward from ATYCLB that just sucked IMO ( Careful now, this comment could get me killed )

Ok, that's enough! I can't take it anymore;
ATYCLB was a great album. Not one of theirt best, that's for sure, but HTDAAB is nothing compared with it. It's fulol of copies of some better U2 eras. Not one single song does it for me. I even think October is better. Not because the songs are neccessarily better by themselves, but it was their second album and you could see some actual progress. A-Bomb has nothing really fresh.
Ok, now I could get killed... :(
Sorry for going a little off-topic...:huh:

ATYCLB is NOTHING compared to Bomb's power. By U2 standards, it is a crap record. The Bomb is everything ATYCLB should have been - a return of the classic 80's U2.
And if HTDAAB has nothing "new" to offer - what about the atomic blues of Love and Peace or Else or pop soul of A Man and a Woman(a song I don't even like that much).
You "even" think October is better? I assume there is something wrong with October, then. It's a great record, you should listen it more often.

haha....i see that the topic from the infamous "HTDAAB-The new Rattle and Hum?"thread is back...Well, yeah those days are gone...but i guess that they still have the ability to "dream it all over again", so keep the faith...

actually, I think those days ARE gone.

But it's not U2 who has done anything to change them - it is our greed and our incessant need to define, confine and dictate to U2 who they should be for us. :ohmy:

THEY ARE NOT OUR PUPPETS - they do not have to do anything that we say just because we are their "fans". They can make the music that they like, do whatever it is they like, and IF WE DON'T LIKE IT WE CAN CHOOSE TO WALK ON! :yes:

I am over my head with the amount of "us" who have shown our true sides in this ticket sales debacle.

Our lack of Grace in dealing with what is, instead of kicking and screaming for what we think should be, I feel reflects poorly on us and indicates to me that many of us HAVE LEARNED NOTHING FROM U2's music about Love and Forgiveness and how to go about in a rational and forgiving way the process of changing things for the better.:tsk:

For the first time in my life, I am embarassed to ideentify myself as a U2 "fan" - not because of the group, but because of us.

My truest sentiments - now I expect to be raked over the coals by other U2 "fans".

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:wink:

Jamila said:

THEY ARE NOT OUR PUPPETS - they do not have to do anything that we say just because we are their "fans". They can make the music that they like, do whatever it is they like, and IF WE DON'T LIKE IT WE CAN CHOOSE TO WALK ON! :yes:

i utterly disagree. When one says that he dislikes HTDAAB, he does this becouse he loves the band and wants it to be as great and innovative as they used to be...
I like some songs from this record, like LAPOE or MD, but this album just doesn't seem grand, it isn't as monumetal as JT or AB, so yes, I feel disappointed, and I have the right to express it, and i want to WALK ON, but with U2!

djerdap said:
ATYCLB is NOTHING compared to Bomb's power. By U2 standards, it is a crap record. The Bomb is everything ATYCLB should have been - a return of the classic 80's U2.
And if HTDAAB has nothing "new" to offer - what about the atomic blues of Love and Peace or Else or pop soul of A Man and a Woman(a song I don't even like that much).
You "even" think October is better? I assume there is something wrong with October, then. It's a great record, you should listen it more often.

1) Ok, apparently we don't agree about the albums :wink:
2) It was obvious to me from the first listen that LAPOE is something brand new for U2, a really different song, but in this case, I just don't seem to like the song because of the production. It could have been made so much better IMO. As for A Man And A Woman, pretty much the same. And I don't like it at all. It's somewhere with Some Days..:wink: :eyebrow:
3) I think October is a great, underrated album with some big songs (Gloria, Tomorrow, Rejoice, October are on the top!). I surely listen/like it more than A-Bomb. We all know that it's not recieved as great, and it's not on the top of their catalogue so that's why I said that.

Cheers,

N :wink:

Marr said:
Well, yeah those days are gone...but i guess that they still have the ability to "dream it all over again", so keep the faith...

Oh, yeah, I still believe they can do another masterpiece (like AB or JT, or UF)! And I hope it's the next one... :eyebrow:

Jamila said:

But it's not U2 who has done anything to change them - it is our greed and our incessant need to define, confine and dictate to U2 who they should be for us. :ohmy:

Come on! I never WANTED them to record the Holy Trinity (Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop) - it just happened! Unexpected!

The problem is that it looks like they've given up searching for someting other.

They can at least try....and not record song like "Stuck In a Moment" or "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own". Those songs are a DISGRACE for a band such as U2.

This thread isn't worth the time of day. Some of you are insane.

U2 are making the music they want to make. It was quite daring for them to go from Pop to ATYCLB. End of story.

Just another thread that proves people have missed the point of what U2 are about...

Or maybe they just never knew what U2 were about. Im tired of all the geek types on here that think one era or another era is better just because they may like it better.

In the end U2 have explored and very successfully pretty much every facit of music and that really is what U2 is about not reinventing the wheel but exploration of what is out there already and making it uniquely theirs.

yeah right!

they've done that quite easy...by making themselves sound like any other band on earth. jeeeez!

and yes....reinventing the wheel is what U2 is all about my friend.

zooroper said:
they've done that quite easy...by making themselves sound like any other band on earth.

What other bands sound like modern U2? All I hear is crappy pop and asinine rap.

U2 are doing THEIR thing, not YOUR thing. Get over it.

all i know is ATYCLB and HTDAAB are two of my top 4 u2 albums...... and i am absolutely thrilled that the days of Pop are over... hope they don't come back.....

that is my opinion... it's my luck that i found the last two albums to be superb records......

there is no need to 'look for something other'...... continue in the same vein of progression and the next album will be a belter..

Last edited:
Axver said:

What other bands sound like modern U2? All I hear is crappy pop and asinine rap.

U2 are doing THEIR thing, not YOUR thing. Get over it.

i wanted to say....that they are REPEATING themselves.

and that's not a good thing when it comes to music.

zooroper said:

i wanted to say....that they are REPEATING themselves.

and that's not a good thing when it comes to music.

How are they repeating themselves? I don't recall any songs in the U2 catalogue that have the same chord progression as Vertigo, or contain the same lyrics as Kite, or sound like Love And Peace Or Else ...

You get the point.

Axver said:

How are they repeating themselves? I don't recall any songs in the U2 catalogue that have the same chord progression as Vertigo, or contain the same lyrics as Kite, or sound like Love And Peace Or Else ...

You get the point.

I think they do!

Vertigo is the new "elevation".....for example.

Same formula. Same thing.

Get it?

Axver said:
This thread isn't worth the time of day. Some of you are insane.

U2 are making the music they want to make. It was quite daring for them to go from Pop to ATYCLB. End of story.

Pop<-->ATYCLB = daring move ??, how ?..

Love and peace Axver :wink: Not trying to argue, since i am sick and tired of this Pop-ATYCLB discussion. But still interested in what you mean by daring.

And it seems this thread have been worth some of your time anyway, LOL....

Last edited:
They are long past their 'daring days' imo, so I'll just enjoy very much whatever they give us now. I can always go back to the 'different days' by listening/watching ZooTV and Popmart. Or indeed, Passengers.

Back
Top Bottom