All Remastered - Limited Editions Discussion HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought off Amazon.co.uk. I received them this morning - came from Jersey like alot of CDs these days.

I love the new versions of New Years Day - well worth the money. I agree with some others that Angels sounds like a more modern Bono - I didn`t pick it up on first listening but it does sound like the last few years.

I`m pleased with the remasters - they are very clean sounding though some may not like that if they prefer vinyl! I can`t help feeling that they are a taster for the new album - I won`t be disappointed :hyper:

On yet another listen, I think the Angels track has been totally rerecorded this year. The drums and guitars also sound different to the rest of the album - much more recent. I don`t think just remastering an original recording would achieve that sound.

Makes you wonder why it was added at the last minute though - which would explain why the listing is missing from some of the booklets :hmm:

I can't believe how high up on Amazon's best sellers in music this is, a pre-order of a $64 box set of 25-28 year old U2 albums.

Damn this thing is expensive. Wonder if it will get cheaper as time goes on?

^ Maybe after the initial rush of hardcore fans has bought the boxed set, they'll discount it, like how "U2 By U2" ended up marked down to like $20 or something within a few months of release.

This is what my order from Amazon says:
delivery estimate: August 11, 2008 - August 15, 2008

I didn't get an e-mail about the shipment being pushed back but think I always had a ship date of Aug. 4.

Damn this thing is expensive. Wonder if it will get cheaper as time goes on?

:eyebrow:

Expensive? Not really. At least, not in the US.
The boxset is about $72 including shipping. That's 45 euro. Over here, you pay 45 euro for 3 new (i.e. recent titles) CDs. The deluxe versions, however, cost 35 euro each (so 105 euro for all three). In short, 45 euro is quite a nice price.

:eyebrow:

Expensive? Not really. At least, not in the US.
The boxset is about $72 including shipping. That's 45 euro. Over here, you pay 45 euro for 3 new (i.e. recent titles) CDs. The deluxe versions, however, cost 35 euro each (so 105 euro for all three). In short, 45 euro is quite a nice price.

You and your eyebrow.

CD's where I live are around $15 a piece, times 3 that's $45. I dont know, I guess I am reluctant to pay that much for mostly songs that I already have. How much better do they sound than the originals? That's what I'd like to know. I'm sure I'll cave and buy it, but I might just wait for the price to go down.

Yeah, but the Amazon boxset is actually 6 CD's since it's the deluxe edition of each. I think it's a pretty good deal for those planning on getting the three remasters.

Look What I Got Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7/21/08

0721081459.jpg

Look What I Got Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7/21/08

0721081459.jpg

You dawg!!! :applaud:

Steve Lillywhite talks through the recording of four early U2 tracks

BOY (1980)

Debut album Boy reached number 52 in the UK charts
U2's first album was recorded when the band were all under 21, and its title references their youthful naivety.

It was originally going to be produced by Joy Division cohort Martin Hannett, but he dropped out after singer Ian Curtis committed suicide.

I always remember on that first album, I was sitting at the mixing desk with the band behind me and suddenly I heard all this giggling. I turned around and suddenly they all went sheepish, shushing each other like teacher was looking at them.

I think they would admit that, like all teenage boys, they hadn't lived long enough to acquire a personality… There wasn't much talking in the studio. It was quite serious.

We recorded in a place called Windmill Lane in Dublin. It was great for traditional Irish music but no Irish rock band had recorded there. Thin Lizzy came to London to make their records. The Boomtown Rats didn't record in Ireland either.

The band said Lillywhite was "like a children's TV presenter"
So the studio crew were very surprised when I decided I wanted to record the drums out in the hallway by the receptionist, as there was this wonderful clattery sound I wanted to get.

But that meant we couldn't record until the evening, because this girl was sat answering the phones all the day. Even then, we couldn't turn the ringer off the phone so occasionally it would go off mid-take.

It was all pretty slapdash. But funnily enough, it's not unlike how the band still records.

OCTOBER (1981)

The Edge says U2 "had very few new songs of merit" going into the studio
More low-key and introspective than its predecessor, October received mixed reviews from critics who were unimpressed with Bono's brooding.

Recording sessions were overshadowed by concerns that the music industry was at odds with the singer's religious beliefs - and those of his bandmates Edge and Larry Mullen.

Another setback came when a briefcase full of lyrics was stolen, forcing Bono to rewrite some of the songs.

U2 could have gone two ways after Boy. They could have broken out and gone bigger - but in fact what they did was they shrunk a little bit. They were a little bit scared of the world, I think.

Yes, there were Bibles dotted around the room during the recording. There was a fair amount of that. But I was so busy trying to pull teeth - trying to make an album - that it sort of washed over me.

It was completely chaotic and mad in the studio and, obviously, Bono's lyrics being lost contributed to the atmosphere. I'm not sure whether any of those words would have been used on the album - only he knows that - but certainly it would have been a starting point.

Bono has to sing these songs for two years on the road. He always says: "I'm a travelling salesman. I need to make sure my vacuum cleaner is the best vacuum cleaner there is"

Steve Lillywhite
But what came out was quite serene in a strange way. One song - Scarlet - only has one word: "Rejoice". People don't do songs like that any more.

In the end, October wasn't a big record. After the rock and roll things they tickled on the first album, people were expecting something that was a bit more "rawk". What they got, in fact, was perhaps an indication of where the band would go later on in their career.

The Joshua Tree was probably where they married the sensibilities of those first two albums and that was where they struck gold.

WAR (1983)

Bono wanted an album " that would separate us from our contemporaries"
U2's third album saw them break through into the mainstream - even knocking Michael Jackson's Thriller off the top of the UK charts.

Re-energised and re-focused, the band also gained a political edge with songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday.

The band had been questioning whether their beliefs could coincide with their new experiences. And in the end it was their manager Paul McGuinness who sat down and said, "don't be so silly, you can have them both".

In his sort of matter-of-fact way, he convinced them that the world would be better if they carried on making music.

But I think we all realised that there'd been a step back with October and that, if we were going to go for it, we had to have the urgency of the first album.

I remember Bono saying to The Edge, "don't be like The Edge. Be like Mick Jones from the Clash".

Because Edge is like a scientist. He has the white coat on and pencils in his pocket. And I think what Bono wanted him to do was take off the white coat and put on the star-studded leather jacket.

Lillywhite shares U2's Grammy for How To Dismantle An Atom Bomb
Preceding the album, all the band had their first vacation in a long time. I went with Paul McGuinness and Adam to Tuscany.

Edge was the only one who stayed at home. And he presented us with Sunday Bloody Sunday when we got back. And we just went, "wow, this is really good".

I listened to the album the other day and certainly New Year's Day is a spectacular piece of work. It's sonically great, it's mature, and Edge's piano-playing - he's got such a great touch. And that bassline was Adam's finest moment.

But it's funny, we didn't think of it as a single. It was one of the young interns in the studio who first said to me, "that song is brilliant". And we all went, "oh, really?"

One of the strange things about that album is that we used Kid Creole's backing singers, the Coconuts. They just happened to be in Dublin on tour, so we hung out with them and they came in and sang on Surrender. So it was sort of random - this serious Irish rock band having the Coconuts on their album.

But there's nothing U2 like better than a pretty woman.

The new versions of Boy, October and War are released on 21 July by Island Records. Steve Lillywhite was talking to BBC News entertainment reporter Mark Savage.

The remasters sound amazing. I was expecting great but these even surpassed my expecatations for sound....absolutely brilliant job of remastering.

Just to give everyone a heads up for tomorrow. I work at a Best Buy in Philly and we only got 1 copy of each standard, and 3 of Boy & October and 8 of War. It was like that for the entire area, so get to the stores early if possible.

From U2.com

Boy Remastered

Speed of Life, Saturday Night and Cartoon World are among the rare and previously unreleased tracks featured in the remastered edition of the band's first album, Boy, released this week.

The album comes in three formats - the remastered single CD, a deluxe format including a bonus CD of b-sides, live tracks and rarities, and the vinyl format. A 16 page booklet features unseen photos, lyrics and liner notes from Paul Morley. Edge, who has overseen the remastering of the album, has contributed notes on
the bonus material.

Here's the detail on the formats, tracklistings and bonus material.

Standard format: A single CD with re-mastered audio and restored
packaging.
Includes a 16 page booklet featuring previously unseen photos, full
lyrics and new liner notes by Paul Morley.

Tracklisting:
1. I Will Follow 2. Twilight 3. An Cat Dubh 4. Into The Heart 5. Out Of
Control 6. Stories For Boys 7. The Ocean 8. A Day Without Me 9. Another
Time, Another Place 10. The Electric Co. 11. Shadows And Tall Trees.

Deluxe format: A standard CD (as above) and a bonus CD including
b-sides, live tracks and rarities. Also includes a 32 page booklet with
previously unseen photos, full lyrics, new liner notes by Paul Morley,
and explanatory notes on the bonus material by The Edge.

Tracklisting:
1. I Will Follow (Previously Unreleased Mix) 2. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock 3.
Touch 4. Speed Of Life (Previously Unreleased Track) 5. Saturday Night
(Previously Unreleased Track) 6. Things To Make And Do 7. Out Of Control
8. Boy-Girl 9. Stories For Boys 10. Another Day 11. Twilight 12.
Boy-Girl (Live at The Marquee, London) 13. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (Live at
The Marquee, London - Previously Unreleased Version) 14. Cartoon World
(Live at The National Stadium, Dublin - Previously Unreleased Track)

Vinyl format: A single album re-mastered version on 180gram vinyl with
restored packaging.

Tracklisting:
1. I Will Follow 2. Twilight 3. An Cat Dubh 4. Into The Heart 5. Out Of
Control 6. Stories For Boys 7. The Ocean 8. A Day Without Me 9. Another
Time, Another Place 10. The Electric Co. 11. Shadows And Tall Trees.

October Remastered

Gloria! It's here. The remastered edition of the band's second album October is released this week.

The release comes in three formats: A single CD with re-mastered audio and restored packaging. Includes a 16 page booklet featuring previously unseen photos, full lyrics and new liner notes by Neil McCormick.

Tracklisting:

1. Gloria 2. I Fall Down 3. I Threw A Brick Through A Window 4. Rejoice 5. Fire 6. Tomorrow 7. October 8. With A Shout 9. Stranger In A Strange Land 10. Scarlet 11. Is That All

Deluxe format:

A standard CD (as above) and a bonus CD. Bonus CD includes b-sides, live tracks and rarities.
Also includes a 32 page booklet with previously unseen photos, full lyrics, new liner notes by Neil McCormick, and explanatory notes on the bonus material by The Edge.

Tracklisting:

1. Gloria (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) 2. I Fall Down (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) 3. I Threw A Brick Through A Window (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) 4. Fire (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) 5. October (Live at Hammersmith Palais, London) 6. With A Shout (Richard Skinner BBC Session) 7. Scarlet (Richard Skinner BBC Session) 8. I Threw A Brick Through A Window (Richard Skinner BBC Session) 9. A Celebration 10. J. Swallo 11. Trash, Trampoline And The Party Girl 12. I Will Follow (Live at Paradise Theatre, Boston) 13. The Ocean (Live at Paradise Theatre, Boston) 14. The Cry/Electric Co. (Live at Paradise Theatre, Boston) 15. 11 O’Clock Tick Tock (Live at Paradise Theatre, Boston) 16. I Will Follow (Live From Hattem, Netherlands) 17. Tomorrow (Bono & Adam Clayton, Common Ground Remix)

Vinyl format:

A single album re-mastered version on 180gram vinyl with restored packaging.

Tracklisting:

Side One 1. Gloria 2. I Fall Down 3. I Threw A Brick Through A Window 4. Rejoice 5. Fire
Side Two 1. Tomorrow 2. October 3. With A Shout 4. Stranger In A Strange Land 5. Scarlet 6. Is That All?

................................................................................

War Remastered

U2's 1983 album, War, has been remastered and is released this week.

It comes in three formats, starting with the standard format: A single CD with re-mastered audio and restored packaging. Includes a 16 page booklet featuring previously unseen photos, full lyrics and new liner notes by Niall Stokes.

Tracklisting:

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday 2. Seconds 3. New Year’s Day 4. Like A Song… 5. Drowning Man 6. The Refugee 7. Two Hearts Beat As One 8. Red Light 9. Surrender 10. "40"

Deluxe format:

A standard CD (as above) and a bonus CD.
Bonus CD includes b-sides, live tracks and rarities.
Also includes a 32 page booklet with previously unseen photos, full lyrics, new liner notes by Niall Stokes, and explanatory notes on the bonus material by The Edge.

Tracklisting:

1. Endless Deep 2. Angels Too Tied To The Ground (Previously Unreleased Track) 3. New Year’s Day (7” single edit) 4. New Year’s Day (USA Remix) 5. New Year’s Day (Ferry Corsten Extended Vocal Mix) 6. New Year’s Day (Ferry Corsten Vocal Radio Mix) 7. Two Hearts Beat As One (Long Mix) 8. Two Hearts Beat As One (USA Remix) 9. Two Hearts Beat As One (Club Version) 10. Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete The Chop) 11. I Threw A Brick Through A Window/Day Without Me (live) 12. Fire (live)

Vinyl format:

A single album re-mastered version on 180gram vinyl with restored packaging.

Tracklisting:

Side One 1. Sunday Bloody Sunday 2. Seconds 3. New Year’s Day 4. Like A Song... 5. Drowning Man
Side Two 1. The Refugee 2. Two Hearts Beat As One 3. Red Light 4. Surrender 5. "40"

Back
Top Bottom