Adam Clayton vs. Flea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The better bassist?

• Adam Clayton...... of U2 (duh!)

Votes: 59 41.8%
  • Flea..... of Red Hot Chili Peppers

Votes: 69 48.9%
  • I like both equally!

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
[disclaimer]

Okay, I'm not making this thread to start a fight!

[/disclaimer]

Just thought this would be interesting to discuss.. looking at the Edge/Frusciante thread.

While I like both Edge & Frusciante's styles equally, here I think there is no contest! Adam is cool as hell, has a bunch of awesome basslines under his belt and is a member of my favorite band but...

Flea is.......................... Bass God! :bow:

Of course Flea is a better bassist but I will always like Adam more, he is just the man. I wish I could play like Flea though...

What's next who's better Bono or Anthony , or will be the drummer question ?

Flea is quite unique for a bass player in a big band, he's not only one of the best bass players in the world but I think he's also the major songwriter in RHCP and pretty much their heart and soul, much more than anthony Kiedis.
Flea is a bass God, he's like the Hendrix of bass.
Adam is really cool and a great bass player but I'm afraid there is no contest.
In every other aspect though, U2 kicks the Chili's ass!!

shaun vox said:
this is a joke right!!
most people dont even know who adam is!!
am sure the same goes for "flea" or whatever his name is, and to be honest i had no idea who he was until a i visited this board,

and seriously whats with the stupid nicknames of the people you like? "slash" and "flea" :eyebrow:

shaun vox said:
this is a joke right!!
most people dont even know who adam is!!

flea is the most well known member of the chilli's and i hadnt even heard of flea till the guy i sit next to in college started bumming em.

Why does this even need to be a poll? Flea is the technically better bassist.

I also think the "I like both equally" option is a bit daft as the poll question asks which is BETTER, not who you like more. In terms of actual ability, Flea is clearly ahead of Adam, but I've got just one RHCP song on my computer and I never play it, while U2 are currently #1 overall on my last.fm.

Flea - may be the standard right now but I wonder how he would stack up against some of the other greats like:

Entwhistle

Geddy Lee

Chris Squire

What is the thoughts of everyone else here about other bassists?

I cannot believe Adam is winning this poll. :huh: Cannot believe it. I bet half the people who voted for Adam have never heard Flea's playing in Blood Sugar Sex Magik and therefore have no clue whatsoever.

Either that or they think Adam is better-looking than Flea.

This is like asking who's the better vocalist, Bono or Joey Ramone?

Just like Joey, Adam couldn't hold a candle, but they work for what band they are in...

bass is hardly a skill to play tbh lol( please dont take offence). Adam would be more well known if he had a nickname, so hows about making him one.

i suggest playdough cos clay is like dough i suppose lol.

i play bass myself btw.

Last edited:
Originally posted by KUEFC09U2 [
and seriously whats with the stupid nicknames of the people you like? "slash" and "flea" :eyebrow: [/B]

Bono:wink:

anyway both good players, but Flea is a million times better. Flea is:drool: :drool:

vaz02 said:
bass is hardly a skill to play tbh lol( please dont take offence). Adam would be more well known if he had a nickname, so hows about making him one.

i suggest playdough cos clay is like dough i suppose lol.

i play bass myself btw.

He has! SPARKY!
:giggle: :adam:

:wink:

Hey, what bassguitar do you play?

This is so silly.

Flea is like 1000 times better than Adam!

I'm not even a Peppers fan and I know that.

The point is:

-Adam can't play things Flea can
-Flea can play everything Adam plays with his eyes closed, with his feet

Mr. MIKEphisto said:
This is so silly.

The point is:

ha ha:lmao: :lmao:

Mr. MIKEphisto said:
This is so silly.

The point is:

:)

hard, but true.........................unfortunately I must say.
But Adam and Flea play two different kind of songs, so I think this comparision is in the end a bit borderline

Mr. MIKEphisto said:
This is so silly.

The point is:

Seriously.

People, listen - you can love U2 and think that there are better bass players out there than Adam. Admitting to something that is so blatantly obvious is not going to make you a bad U2 fan.

I do think this poll is rather silly, and well, not very nice towards Adam. Who's the better bassist? Overall, Flea, but for what the bass is for in a rock band, Adam does very well. Adam plays to the songs, that's not a bad thing at all.

Honestly, the world's best bassist won't get the same respect as the world's best guitarist.

How many here know who Jaco Pastorius (sp?) is? (no googling)

How many here know who Pete Townshend is?

Why not do a Edge vs. Jimmie Hendrix while you're at it. Larry vs. Stewart Copeland. Bono vs. Robert Plant.

Well, Adam is getting better as a bassist, but I guess to some people, you have to do monster scales, do wicked solos and 'gymnastics' in order to be good, whereas laying down solid work, playing to the songs, and doing your job as a bass player in a rock band, makes you mediocre.

Bass is not a lead instrument, it can drive the songs, and there are some that Adam does that, but it's a rhythm instrument, now if U2 was a jazz band or some other genre where the bass is much more important, maybe he'd play differently. From what I've read from his bass teacher, I'm lead to believe Adam can play much more than what he shows, but he just chooses not to.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Don't think most notice, but Adam adds to his basslines in live concerts. I was listening to a live video of the Freedom for Tibet concert, and a more recent Vertigo one, and Adam definitely plays better.

Most people don't know who the bassist is in a band anyway, unless they're already a fan of whichever band, but having a nickname or being the more famous person in band, is the only way to get noticed as a bassist from casual fans, or people who maybe know a few songs but that's it.

I don't know much about Flea other than what I saw on a Behind the Music and hearing some of their albums, but according to Bono, there is no one more professional in the band, then Adam.

After selling, millions of albums, selling out stadiums, being a successful band for almost 15 years, he goes back and takes proper bass lessons. Okay, maybe he should've done the lessons first but would he have stood out among other bass players? I think both of them kinda did their own thing.

Adam may not play a lot of complicated stuff, but he stands out. Next time you're listening to the radio, pay close attention the bass on the songs you hear, the way the bass sounds. Then compare to a U2 song, unless you live somewhere that hardly plays U2 on the radio then you can't really do this.

Flea, stands out, Adam stands out. Other bass players, not so much. I wonder why heavy metal bands even have bass players, other than to just 'be there' you hardly hear them unless there's a break in the guitars. Adam should be happy he's not in a heavy metal band, he'd be even less known.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom