4th Single from NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b_digg

The Fly
What does everyone think?

I believe the release strategy for the first 3 was set in stone for boots - magnificent and then crazy tonight.

The 4th im not so sure is a definate - they could go breathe like it seems was intended or release another 'pop' song with stand up comedy. They could also take a risk and release moment of surrender or NLOTH itself. Anything else doesnt seem like single material to me on an album that does not have a bit share of singles anyway.

Discuss.....

Most likely a song they'll play on tour. My guess would be Breathe or the title track. And then hopefully no 5th single. I think the days of 5 singles for an album are gone for U2, and that the days of the 4th single should be numbered.

Crazy Tonight is a terrible choice for single. the vocal delivery in the chorus is rather not nice. Sure, it's the "Beautiful Day" of this album, but a profoundly inferior and poor man's Beautiful Day...

Intedomine filling in for Paul McGuiness:

1. Magnificent
2. Sexc Bootz
3. Breathe
4. Moment Of Surrender

Has to be either Breathe or NLOTH, if they have one. I'd put my money on Breathe.

However, my dream is that they would release MOS or UC instead... or Fez-Being Born, just for the oddness factor.

I honestly don't want MOS as a single. Nothing against the song...in fact, I love the song. And that's why I don't want to hear it as a single. Let me put it this way...remember how much "editing" (read: butchering) they had to do to Magnificent to make it short enough to be a single? Imagine that. Times ten.

So...yeah, I'm gonna have to go with Breathe or Crazy Tonight here.

EDIT: I agree with Digitize. FEZ - Being Born would be HILARIOUS as a single. Would love to see the looks on the faces of soccer moms the world over when the intro kicks in. :lmao:

I would say Breathe but it was a live B-side.

If Boots didn't work I'm not sure SUC would.

FULL version of MOS. Let's really mess with the radio.

And then hopefully no 5th single. I think the days of 5 singles for an album are gone for U2, and that the days of the 4th single should be numbered.
White As Snow with Winter as B-side will be a perfect 5th single.

Cedars for the 4th, it's a great song, they just need to cut the last verse. And it seems people don't want to hear Bono yelling on their radio nowadays.

What is there to mess with? If they consider it too long they won't play it. Or they'll make their own edit.
:shrug:
:up:

they'll play it once, cut off the the first minute and the last 4 minutes and talk over the rest accompanied by 'quirky sound effects' such as honking horns and whoopy cushions

I want them to release Being Born, without the Fez interlude.

But I'm guessing it'll be Breathe, it's a bit like the LNOE of this this album and that was released as well.

I wouldn't actually mind an edited version of UC, but editing MOS seems sacriligious.

My bet is Breathe. It was the fourth predicted one from the beginning, and the other three were correct so I'll stick with my first thought.

And that's exactly what is there to mess with.

I don't think you understand: even if U2 does that, "messing" with the radio, the radio will simply edit it themselves or not play it. So, U2 doesn't actually accomplish anything at all.

I fear it might be SUC.

I would normally say Breathe, but as stated, it was a live b-side to Magnificent.

Also NLOTH would normally have a chance, but that too was a b-side to GOYB.

MOS will not happen. It's not single material and I'm shocked that people are suggesting it.

The only other single-worthy song on the album, unfortunately, is SUC, and no alternate/live versions of that have been a b-side, which I think is evidence that SUC will be the fourth single.

I agree with another poster, that WAS with Winter as it's b-side would be the perfect 5th single. I only think there will be 4 singles though.

I reckon WAS might get promoted with a video though, as it's going to be on a movie this December, but not a single, just a video, like the hands that built america and OOTS. That's what I think will happen.

I would normally say Breathe, but as stated, it was a live b-side to Magnificent.

Also NLOTH would normally have a chance, but that too was a b-side to GOYB.

What's the relevance that an alternative version of a song has appeared as a B-side, with regards to releasing a song as a single? There's no rule that says you cannot release it as a single then.
Also, this has happened in the past, even with U2 (a remix of All Because Of You was a B-side to COBL while being released as a single later). Besides, not that many people have heard those alternative versions, so what's so bad about releasing such a song as a single?

:)

I don't think you understand: even if U2 does that, "messing" with the radio, the radio will simply edit it themselves or not play it. So, U2 doesn't actually accomplish anything at all.

They didn't accomplish much with Boots and Magnificent. So why bother with the radio friendly songs anymore ? Make a statement instead and for once don't bow to the edits and 4 minute radio music rules.

Suppose it gets edited (how much is there to cut anyway ? the opening cello intro and some of the "oh oh oh oh"s) - it still gets played or it doesn't get playet at all and you get free publicity. If Magnificent radio airplay got the "U2/Bono got blacklisted" talk started, imagine how much press there would in case of US radio stations banning a U2 single completely from their radio playlists.

Beside that, I believe MOS might make a crossover appeal despite being a late single (like One).

Suppose it gets edited (how much is there to cut anyway ? the opening cello intro and some of the "oh oh oh oh"s) - it still gets played

Well, the song is more than 7 minutes, so if you go for a 4 - 4 1/2 minute version, that's 3 minutes to cut. An intro here, a verse there, some other part elsewhere and everyone here will be in flames that the song is butchered.

or it doesn't get playet at all and you get free publicity. If Magnificent radio airplay got the "U2/Bono got blacklisted" talk started, imagine how much press there would in case of US radio stations banning a U2 single completely from their radio playlists.

I don't think there'll be free publicity. They released a song too long for the radio, it didn't get played, the single bombed, end-of-story. No publicity will be generated for this. It's an everyday occurrence.

Moment of Surrender would only of ever worked as the first single, U2 had the radio eating out of the palms of their hands they would of gotten the song played, maybe even the seven minute version. However because they released Boots they've probably lost the ability to ever have that kind of situation again.
Being Born wouldn't work as a single at all not catchy enough, no chorus = no airplay

NLOTH, Stand Up Comedy, Breathe (sans drum intro) are the likely choices. White As Snow might be released as a fifth "radio" single around the time the movie Brothers (Is that it?) is released to try to take advantage of being on the soundtrack

NLOTH, Stand Up Comedy, Breathe (sans drum intro) are the likely choices. White As Snow might be released as a fifth "radio" single around the time the movie Brothers (Is that it?) is released to try to take advantage of being on the soundtrack

isn't Winter the song that is on the Brothers soundtrack? Or supposed to be.

no, then we assumed (incorrectly) that winter had become White as snow.

at least that's the impression that I got. I never thought White as Snow was supposed to be in brothers once we learned Winter and White as Snow were two different songs. could be wrong though.

no, then we assumed (incorrectly) that winter had become White as snow.

at least that's the impression that I got. I never thought White as Snow was supposed to be in brothers once we learned Winter and White as Snow were two different songs. could be wrong though.

But didn't Dave Fanning (I think) say White as Snow was in Brothers, I remember some interview said that

if they are not going to release Breathe as a single then i still say why not release Unknown Caller...what do they really have to lose? Its a great song, once you hear it a few times it may well be the best on the album. Who knows, when they play it live Edge might just take it to a whole new level. Release the live version as a single and video and FUCK radio.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom