3 Irishmen and a Dutchman Walk Into A Sphere - General Discussion Thread Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bummer. I think you are out of luck if you were not in the fan club by today's announcement. If you are going to try for anything, try for the last February dates and not the March dates. There are a lot of people that do whatever it takes to be there for openers and closers.

And how cool that you were there for the shoot! We saw them this past August for the second time (last time was 2015?). It was great!!

There were Ultra members (active prior to initial announcement) and Violet (joined after the initial announcement). Not sure what the breakdown is for this sale. If you log in to your U2.com profile and go to account info, you will be able to see it. I have had incredibly good luck for the presale. Got my first choices the 3 times I have tried, but the same cannot be said for everyone. Mileage has definitely varied. Let's see if I can get to 4/4.
Thanks for the reply - I am a Violet member as I had lapsed.

I guess what I am asking is - what are the best odds of getting GA in the presale? Select GA only (and risk getting nothing) or select every level (and risk getting assigned seats even if GA are available)? Or is it all a crapshoot?

I guess what I am asking is - what are the best odds of getting GA in the presale? Select GA only (and risk getting nothing) or select every level (and risk getting assigned seats even if GA are available)? Or is it all a crapshoot?

From my experience, GA seems to be considered best, even over P1, but do not quote me on that.

strongly leaning towards GAs the final night.

never done a closing night of a tour before. and early March will be a great time to get out of the winter dark/grey/wet.

From my experience, GA seems to be considered best, even over P1, but do not quote me on that.

I would only recommend GA and level 4. I think with 1, 2 and 3 you are compromised between view of the band and view of the screen. I mean, there's no bad seats, but in my opinion the two cheapest spots are the best spots :shrug:

I requested only GA for all 4 dates. Seats are easier to find later than GA. That was my thinking about making my requests.

strongly leaning towards GAs the final night.

never done a closing night of a tour before. and early March will be a great time to get out of the winter dark/grey/wet.

Yeah, that was my first choice too. Fingers crossed for Thursday.

Saw the fake Bono impersonator at the Venetian on Friday with a large group surrounding him and taking selfies. What a weird phenomenon that is duping a bunch of people into thinking they got a selfie with Bono. He was also walking really fast up and down the hallways with “security” guards. So weird.

I think some people know he is an impersonator and want a photo anyway and some just have no clue he isn't Bono. I agree. It's really weird.

I think some people know he is an impersonator and want a photo anyway and some just have no clue he isn't Bono. I agree. It's really weird.

From what I gather, that's mostly the case, yeah.

I don't really have an issue with it. I've seen it at other shows and people seem to know who these people are. Not much different from when people pose with the cosplayers at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood. But if you want a picture to add to your experience, then cool.

Fascinating. Can’t wait to experience it in just a few days. :hyper:

Oh, you're going to love it. :D Enjoy!

I don't really have an issue with it. I've seen it at other shows and people seem to know who these people are. Not much different from when people pose with the cosplayers at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood. But if you want a picture to add to your experience, then cool.

The BONO!! BONO!! yelling and clumps of people I saw tells me otherwise. Not everyone can just take one look at him and tell that the jaw is way off. :p

The people that were walking behind us through the convention floor were clueless it was not the real thing. They were freaking out and talking about how their friend was going to be devastated to miss it. My husband (who was not there) said we were assholes for popping their bubble :lol:

People seem to enjoy taking photos with Elvis impersonators there, so why not with fake Bono.:lol:

The BONO!! BONO!! yelling and clumps of people I saw tells me otherwise. Not everyone can just take one look at him and tell that the jaw is way off. :p

The people that were walking behind us through the convention floor were clueless it was not the real thing. They were freaking out and talking about how their friend was going to be devastated to miss it. My husband (who was not there) said we were assholes for popping their bubble :lol:

:laugh:

the issue specifically with Pavel is not that some people do not realize that he's not Bono - it's that he plays into that and makes no effort to let them know that he isn't - and has been doing so for years.

i think every fake bono out there has, at one point, taken liberties with the whole thing. but this schmuck, in particular, takes it way way way too far - and continues to do so even though there have been numerous complaints from fans about his behavior.

i'd also like to state for the record that, in thinking about the post, i came to the realization that i know an unhealthy number of fake bonos.

the issue specifically with Pavel is not that some people do not realize that he's not Bono - it's that he plays into that and makes no effort to let them know that he isn't - and has been doing so for years.

That is my understanding as well. He apparently was handing out business cards at the Venetian so there were some disclaimers made, but not enough that everyone around figured out the reality of the situation. Whether that is on him or not this time, I cannot say. Still not a fan.

i'd also like to state for the record that, in thinking about the post, i came to the realization that i know an unhealthy number of fake bonos.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i was with a Fono the day of the Vertigo/Bomb Brooklyn Bridge show. after the concert we grabbed drinks and then made the decision to head to times square to the tower records, which was the style at the time. gimmie hut-dab for five bees, you'd say. anyways...

he put his bvlgari's on to take a photo with a fan of his tribute band, and then left them on. as i said - many guinness' have been had by that point. that kind of set off a stir from people outside the store who thought that it was actually bono. someone in the store actually made an announcement over their PA asking which track "bono" wanted to hear off the new album.

it's a funny story we share in retrospect - but was CRAZY uncomfortable the time as people absolutely thought it was really bono, a big crowd was gathering, and there was an actual discussion we had over whether taking the glasses off was going to make things better or worse. there were literal arguments taking place over whether or not it was really Boner outside. so we did the noble thing - we ran away.

another mutual friend of ours and myself went outside and quickly hauled a cab before shoving him in to literally go around the block and away from the crowd. the friend and i hoofed it over there to meet up with him, and, well, i never did get the album at midnight on release day because of said incident lol.

i share this only to highlight how easy it is to have casual fans, or even slightly more than casual, be fooled by something like this - and how it's super scummy to continuously do it over and over and over again, especially after seeing how people react. shit - there's been actual local news stories about Bono visiting some obscure restaurant, shop or town that was actually just Pavel walking around in costume in public. just because. it's not just an innocent whoopsie at that point - it's intentional and misleading.

it's good to know he had business cards with him at Venetian. I wouldn't be shocked if he had them simply because he knew U2's crew were around and didn't want to get in trouble with them. but it's happened way too often.

Ah! Well, yeah, that obviously isn't quite the nicest thing to do then. Yet again, I've never quite seen those extreme of reactions to the impersonators! Most of the time, it seems like they know what's up. Guess that could be the exception!

i share this only to highlight how easy it is to have casual fans, or even slightly more than casual, be fooled by something like this - and how it's super scummy to continuously do it over and over and over again, especially after seeing how people react. shit - there's been actual local news stories about Bono visiting some obscure restaurant, shop or town that was actually just Pavel walking around in costume in public. just because. it's not just an innocent whoopsie at that point - it's intentional and misleading.

it's good to know he had business cards with him at Venetian. I wouldn't be shocked if he had them simply because he knew U2's crew were around and didn't want to get in trouble with them. but it's happened way too often.

I had forgotten that story :lol:

But yes, there is a difference between such a situation and intentionally doing it time and time again trying to fool people or at least not clarify the situation when it becomes clear that they do not know you are the real thing. I frankly think that the only reason some handing out cards took place is because he does cameos, so it benefits him financially.

I had forgotten that story :lol:

But yes, there is a difference between such a situation and intentionally doing it time and time again trying to fool people or at least not clarify the situation when it becomes clear that they do not know you are the real thing. I frankly think that the only reason some handing out cards took place is because he does cameos, so it benefits him financially.

hold up... he's on Cameo? as fake bono?

jesus h christ

The little sample videos alone give me second hand embarrassment. :reject:

Also, why does he have way more of an "Irish" accent than Bono actually does? :lol: And how many "darlin's" does one need in a 2 minute video?

a lot of technical mumbojumbo in here - but also some insight into all of the work that went in, when reversals started, where they took place, what they COULD have done with the sound but decided against, etc. etc.

https://www.mixonline.com/live-sound/venues/mixing-u2s-mighty-sound-within-the-sphere

https://www.mixonline.com/live-sound/venues/mixing-u2s-mighty-sound-for-the-sphere-part-2

Ah, that answered the question I'd long had about why after all the time they suddenly got plexiglass for the drummer.

I think it is one thing to dress as a character like a cosplay situation and another to dress and impersonate someone living and working in the area intentionally causing a ruckus and misleading people. I have heard about this guy through the years.....has anyone talked to him?

Back
Top Bottom