2015 U2 Tour News - delivered to Interference.com first and exclusively

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So both Boston and NYC get shows even though they are a little under 4 hours apart. And Montreal and Boston are only about 6 hours apart. Yet, the majority of the southern half of the country (FL, TX, etc) will have to drive a minimum of 12-15+ hours to get to the nearest show? Doesn't that sound fishy to anyone else?

And for what it's worth, the last few tours were announced on Mondays...

As Headache said, supply and demand.
Markets in the south are not nearly as strong as the coast and midwest for U2 and most major rock acts. Just the way it is.
When the whole 7 cities rumors began flying 2 months ago, I was firm in my belief that Miami stood no chance, all one has to do is look at past tour itineraries and see which markets got multiple shows and most of the 7 cities were easy enough to pin down. It was obvious that NYC, LA, Toronto, Boston and Chicago would be 5 of them, and then Montreal, Seattle/Vancouver and SF/Oakland seemed like the final 3 contenders for last 2 slots.

I think the other markets will get single shows later on.

I dont know how they expect a residency to do well especially given how expensive traveling costs are. And announcing during Christmas is just plain...annoying. (Yep, agreeing with Headache again. That word choice was spot on.) I can barely afford CHRISTMAS, let alone anything extra.
(Tour fund? What tour fund? )

I'm hoping they wait until January. It'd go over better. Especially seeing as how the US promo was DOA due to unforeseen issues once B had his accident.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Isn't the Vancouver - Los Angeles gap seems like a lot?

2 shows, then almost 2 weeks for the next one?

Now I'm torn.
Go to the first and second shows (and if they add more a third or fourth) or wait for that possible and pretty June 8 LA show?... June 8 being my birthday :hyper:

And I HAVE to be here in June 11, because Copa América starts and I have tickets :sexywink:

I dont know how they expect a residency to do well especially given how expensive traveling costs are. And announcing during Christmas is just plain...annoying. (Yep, agreeing with Headache again. That word choice was spot on.) I can barely afford CHRISTMAS, let alone anything extra.

I'm hoping they wait until January. It'd go over better. Especially seeing as how the US promo was DOA due to unforeseen issues once B had his accident.

The LA, NYC and Boston shows will sell out instantly. It's U2.

I'm pretty sure these were supposed to be announced the Fallon week. So, they must be happy with Bono's progress to be announcing them now.

Credit card it,i will ?????

Isn't the Vancouver - Los Angeles gap seems like a lot?

2 shows, then almost 2 weeks for the next one?

Now I'm torn.
Go to the first and second shows (and if they add more a third or fourth) or wait for that possible and pretty June 8 LA show?... June 8 being my birthday :hyper:

And I HAVE to be here in June 11, because Copa América starts and I have tickets :sexywink:

There are probably 1-3 more cities in the mix than what has been rumored/leaked, rumored Bay Area dates would fit in there.

Credit card it,i will ?????

Yeah, we don't have credit cards. We've got two kids, one income, no daycare/babysitter options, and no car either. It was a rough summer and we were hoping to get tix in the spring with tax refund $$

Hopefully tix prices arent too horrible on ebay by springtime. :reject:

supply / demand

So an entire portion of the country should not get any concerts just because they can't sell out 8 shows? Hell, Texas is home to three of the most populous cities in the United States. And I'm not in any way trying to argue with you, I'm just saying this whole residency thing seems fishy.

As Headache said, supply and demand.
Markets in the south are not nearly as strong as the coast and midwest for U2 and most major rock acts. Just the way it is.
When the whole 7 cities rumors began flying 2 months ago, I was firm in my belief that Miami stood no chance, all one has to do is look at past tour itineraries and see which markets got multiple shows and most of the 7 cities were easy enough to pin down. It was obvious that NYC, LA, Toronto, Boston and Chicago would be 5 of them, and then Montreal, Seattle/Vancouver and SF/Oakland seemed like the final 3 contenders for last 2 slots.

I think the other markets will get single shows later on.

But if they're just going to come back to hit these single markets later on, then why do the residency thing at all? Why not just do a normal tour?

I guess a question to ask is, do you guys think NYC, for example, will sell out 8 shows just drawing from the local market? Or are we factoring in that a lot of people are going to travel to NYC to see U2 because it's the closest city they're playing in? I agree that Miami won't sell out 4 shows on its own, but if we here are assuming that people up north are going to travel to these residency shows in NYC, Boston, etc, why wouldn't people in the south travel to somewhere like Miami?

I could very well be wrong, and I know people say they've heard similar rumors, but the whole residency thing just seems odd. The way they've always toured has always worked, so why change it? The only thing it really saves them on is moving the production. And considering they took the 360 Tour all over the world, I don't really think U2 has a problem with moving equipment between cities.

And considering they took the 360 Tour all over the world, I don't really think U2 has a problem with moving equipment between cities.

This. :up:

I'm thinking we'll likely get a standard tour, but 2+ nights per city. Adam was talking about the "one acoustic, one electric" idea long before the residency rumors started. I can see them doing two nights per city, one acoustic show, one electric (Innocence/Experience?) with major markets getting extra shows. (4 or 6 nights rather than two due to supply/demand?)

But if they're just going to come back to hit these single markets later on, then why do the residency thing at all? Why not just do a normal tour?

I guess a question to ask is, do you guys think NYC, for example, will sell out 8 shows just drawing from the local market? Or are we factoring in that a lot of people are going to travel to NYC to see U2 because it's the closest city they're playing in? I agree that Miami won't sell out 4 shows on its own, but if we here are assuming that people up north are going to travel to these residency shows in NYC, Boston, etc, why wouldn't people in the south travel to somewhere like Miami?

I could very well be wrong, and I know people say they've heard similar rumors, but the whole residency thing just seems odd. The way they've always toured has always worked, so why change it? The only thing it really saves them on is moving the production. And considering they took the 360 Tour all over the world, I don't really think U2 has a problem with moving equipment between cities.

It's a lot less taxing for the members of U2 to settle into one place for extended amounts of time, rather than doing the 1-2 nights per city on end for months These guys are 10 years older than when the Vertigo tour started and I think they want to relax more while on tour. They had it pretty easy with the schedule on the 360 tour and probably want to keep it that way.

Based on earlier rumors, 2016 is intended to be stadiums, so the rest of North America and Europe will have to wait til then. The 360 tour proved they can now sell out stadiums in all types of markets, so they feel confident that these other cities will work as stadium shows. The 2015 tour looks to run from May through November or early December, so there's no time for any other cities to be played in 2015 other than what they announce soon.

I really think this leg will look pretty similar to the 1st leg of the vertigo tour, minus places like Phoenix and Denver. Maximum amount of shows in the minimum amount of cities with minimal traveling. I'm sure that at some point on the tour they'll play Denver, Phoenix, Texas, Miami, Atlanta, etc. But none of those cities could support an arena residency, which seems to be what we've been hearing they'll do for a couple years now.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's a lot less taxing for the members of U2 to settle into one place for extended amounts of time, rather than doing the 1-2 nights per city on end for months These guys are 10 years older than when the Vertigo tour started and I think they want to relax more while on tour. They had it pretty easy with the schedule on the 360 tour and probably want to keep it that way.

Based on earlier rumors, 2016 is intended to be stadiums, so the rest of North America and Europe will have to wait til then. The 360 tour proved they can now sell out stadiums in all types of markets, so they feel confident that these other cities will work as stadium shows. The 2015 tour looks to run from May through November or early December, so there's no time for any other cities to be played in 2015 other than what they announce soon.

I totally agree with what you are saying, and with bin is injuries and given their ages, it makes sense that they would do a residency rather then a tour

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference Joanne

I'm thinking we'll likely get a standard tour, but 2+ nights per city. Adam was talking about the "one acoustic, one electric" idea long before the residency rumors started. I can see them doing two nights per city, one acoustic show, one electric (Innocence/Experience?) with major markets getting extra shows. (4 or 6 nights rather than two due to supply/demand?)

Completely agree.

These guys are 10 years older than when the Vertigo tour started and I think they want to relax more while on tour. They had it pretty easy with the schedule on the 360 tour and probably want to keep it that way.

That's an assumption though. No member of U2 (unless I've completely missed something) has indicated that they want a tour that moves around less so they can relax more. If anything, I've seen them mention that they consider stadium tours to be more strenuous on them than arena tours.

I've also seen them mention in the past about touring with a home base on previous tours. So, for example, if they're playing on the East Coast, their home base will be NYC. They will fly there on off days so they and their families can be in one central location.

I know he doesn't represent the whole band, but let's keep in mind how much Bono travels around for both U2 related and unrelated projects.

I totally agree with what you are saying, and with bin is injuries and given their ages, it makes sense that they would do a residency rather then a tour

I see what you're saying, but both of Bono's injuries didn't occur while they were on tour.

I really think this leg will look pretty similar to the 1st leg of the vertigo tour, minus places like Phoenix and Denver. Maximum amount of shows in the minimum amount of cities with minimal traveling. I'm sure that at some point on the tour they'll play Denver, Phoenix, Texas, Miami, Atlanta, etc. But none of those cities could support an arena residency, which seems to be what we've been hearing they'll do for a couple years now.

I could believe the residency speculation if there were a few more cities on that rumored list. I just can't see them doing a tour that bare boned, however.

So an entire portion of the country should not get any concerts just because they can't sell out 8 shows? Hell, Texas is home to three of the most populous cities in the United States. And I'm not in any way trying to argue with you, I'm just saying this whole residency thing seems fishy.

10% of the entire US lives within 100 or so miles of NYC, plus scalper scum are a problem here. They played 10 here (7 - 2 in NJ, and 3) during Vertigo. Billy Joel has sold out almost a couple of dozen dates here this year. So yes, they can certainly sell out 8 dates with a fairly local crowd. But NYC is also an attractive tourist destination, so...

I've also seen them mention about touring with a home base. So, for example, if they're playing on the East Coast, their home base will be NYC. They will fly there on there off days so they and their families can be in one central location.

They already do that. Fly into the show and then back. They flew in from NYC to the majority of the NA 360 shows. No reason why they wont do so again.

They already do that. Fly into the show and then back. They flew in from NYC to the majority of the NA 360 shows. No reason why they wont do so again.

I worded that wrong. I meant it to read that they have done the home base thing in the past. I updated my original post. :up:

And I agree that there's no reason they won't do it again.

Completely agree.

That's an assumption though. No member of U2 (unless I've completely missed something) has indicated that they want a tour that moves around less so they can relax more. If anything, I've seen them mention that they consider stadium tours to be more strenuous on them than arena tours.

Of course it's an assumption, but are there any solid rumors that suggest that U2 are not doing a limited amount of cities in 2015? We won't know for sure until it's announced, but all recent rumors suggest a pretty limited amount of cities in North America and Europe for 2015. We don't have to know their reasons for wanting to do it, but if they only play about 15 cities worldwide in 2015, then it is what it is.

For years there has been talk of Larry not enjoying long stretches of touring. I was even told this personally by a well liked U2 security guard in 2001, so perhaps this schedule was made to please him while still being able to play a similar amount of shows as they would on tour legs of these length.

They have said the tour will start small, in arenas, then probably go to stadiums later on. There has been talk that the stadium tour will coincide with the release of Songs Of Experience, which U2 have indicated will have a bigger sound.

I worded that wrong. I meant it to read that they have done the home base thing in the past. I updated my original post. :up:

And I agree that there's no reason they won't do it again.

Yep. :up:

They have Malibu on the West Coast, NYC in the East, and of course Dublin and Eze. They can easily use all of those as "home base" and travel to their shows, thus saving them from setting up "camp" for a week or so in a handful of cities. Residency usually means nostalgia act in Las Vegas. Not a relevant tour. And we all know Bono craves relevance. :giggle:

Of course it's an assumption, but are there any solid rumors that suggest that U2 are not doing a limited amount of cities in 2015? We won't know for sure until it's announced, but all recent rumors suggest a pretty limited amount of cities in North America and Europe for 2015.

Personally, I don't think anything in this thread is a solid rumor. But I'm also very skeptical person. :D

We shall see what tomorrow brings.

Yep. :up:

They have Malibu on the West Coast, NYC in the East, and of course Dublin and Eze. They can easily use all of those as "home base" and travel to their shows, thus saving them from setting up "camp" for a week or so in a handful of cities. Residency usually means nostalgia act in Las Vegas. Not a relevant tour. And we all know Bono craves relevance. :giggle:

:up::up:

Could U2 sell out 8 shows in New York drawing on just the local population?

Absolutely.

The 8 shows will sell in no time. As was stated it's also a place a lot of people want to come to see U2 in, which drives demand even further.

3 shows at 90,000 each sold easily for 360. They easily could have added a 4th show and sold it out.

That's 270,000... the equivalent of 13.5 arena shows.

Is it fair? Geographically, no. Frankly it's not even fair to New Yorkers... They could easily sell out 8 arena shows here during a normal tour. With a residency style tour that's going to force people from other states to travel? Demand will only be greater, tickets will only be harder to come by.

They're a band that's too big for arenas that's about to play a much smaller number of arena shows then what demand says they should play. Frankly it's fucking ridiculous.

Could U2 sell out 8 shows in New York drawing on just the local population?

Absolutely.

The 8 shows will sell in no time. As was stated it's also a place a lot of people want to come to see U2 in, which drives demand even further.

3 shows at 90,000 each sold easily for 360. They easily could have added a 4th show and sold it out.

That's 270,000... the equivalent of 13.5 arena shows.

Is it fair? Geographically, no. Frankly it's not even fair to New Yorkers... They could easily sell out 8 arena shows here during a normal tour. With a residency style tour that's going to force people from other states to travel? Demand will only be greater, tickets will only be harder to come by.

They're a band that's too big for arenas that's about to play a much smaller number of arena shows then what demand says they should play. Frankly it's fucking ridiculous.

I agree with you on this. And U2 has to know that they'd be underplaying the demand by going this route. It just seems that playing residencies will make more of a mess than there really needs to be. :shrug:

U2.com Membership

Is it worth signing up at this stage or are my tickets chances just as good in the public sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom