2010 World Cup Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they really did look like a different side to that which slayed the Aussies, the Poms and the Argentinians

I blame the ball

:wink:

Which is why it's pretty silly to make predictions for the final. Germany destroyed England and Argentina while Spain got their ass handed to them by a country whose competition uses cows as goalposts (Switzerland).

Which is why it's pretty silly to make predictions for the final. Germany destroyed England and Argentina while Spain got their ass handed to them by a country whose competition uses cows as goalposts (Switzerland).

:lol: . . . 'cows as goal posts' !

Whichever way it flies, the final will be several shades of awesome :)

carded out?

it is one of the stupid things about this sport

along with pks in championship games

I know long time fans are just used to these rules, but how can Spain say they are better than Germany with only a 1- nil win, and their best? player not allowed to play.

the yellow card that took him out was questionable. a 15 minute time out or even 30 seems a little more reasonable

I know long time fans are just used to these rules, but how can Spain say they are better than Germany with only a 1- nil win, and their best? player not allowed to play.

the yellow card that took him out was questionable. a 15 minute time out or even 30 seems a little more reasonable

maybe . . . but I don't think a final score every really tells the whole story in any game anyway . . . today Spain were definately the better side when you look at attempts at goal, possession etc and the fact that the Germans were missing one of their best well . . . that's just part and parcel of the fun really . . . :)

:lmao: OH dear lord Paul the octopus was CORRECT AGAIN!!!!!

and I would imagine you would be a happy girl right about now :up:

Wow! And the surprises keep coming. Spain definitely played like they wanted it more today. Congrats to them.

I think Netherlands will be the favorite but who knows! I have no reason to root for the Netherlands so i wish the best of luck to the Spanish motherland.
I'll be rooting for Germany in the third place game. I can't wait for this weekend! :hyper:

for whats it worth

has Paul ever picked a lowly underdog

or does he seem to pick the favorites?

and I imagine that will be Spain and Germany in the remaining games.

He's predicted every single German match correct this tournament. Even their loss to Serbia. And he predicted about 70% correct in the 2008 euro cup.

maybe . . . but I don't think a final score every really tells the whole story in any game anyway . . . today Spain were definately the better side when you look at attempts at goal, possession etc and the fact that the Germans were missing one of their best well . . . that's just part and parcel of the fun really . . . :)

Yeah and besides, a good team doesn't depend on a single player.

Wow! And the surprised keep coming. Spain definitely played like they wanted it more today. Congrats to them.

I think Netherlands will be the favorite but who knows! I have no reason to root for the Netherlands so i wish the best of luck to the Spanish motherland.
I'll be rooting for Germany in the third place game. I can't wait for this weekend! :hyper:

Will you be putting any money on the games? I'll bet there will be some cool prop bets.

and I would imagine you would be a happy girl right about now :up:

I was at karate so couldn't watch the game, but I'm a very happy girl. Even if we may not beat the Spaniards, I don't mind it. I don't mind it if they end up being World champion. I'm just glad we're ahead of Germany. A Holland - Germany final would've been a nightmare.

Besides that, looking at the summaries Spain seems to have a lot of egos in the group. The Dutch could take advantage of that. :hmm:

Wow! And the surprises keep coming. Spain definitely played like they wanted it more today. Congrats to them.

this

Yeah and besides, a good team doesn't depend on a single player.

this

I was at karate so couldn't watch the game, but I'm a very happy girl. Even if we may not beat the Spaniards, I don't mind it. I don't mind it if they end up being World champion. I'm just glad we're ahead of Germany. A Holland - Germany final would've been a nightmare.

Besides that, looking at the summaries Spain seems to have a lot of egos in the group. The Dutch could take advantage of that. :hmm:

and this

:)

So what's the over-under on how long that ubiquitous parody of the movie Downfall pops up online? I think less than a day.

There are already parodies (with Spain beating Germany) online, but those were all posted before the start of the game. So give it another hour or so. :)

I would have liked to have seen Mueller in the game today.

I think Netherlands and Spain will have all their players, so that is good.

Germany and Brazil, have enough World Cups

Spain has never been to finals before, and Holland has placed 2nd twice before.

I guess if the Spaniards win, it will be a great day for them.

ewwww
1994 and 2006 were penalty kick games, one can only hope :whistle:

NASA piles on the Jabulani hate - Yahoo! Sports

we may have to put an asterisk beside the 2010 scores

The tests confirm what everyone has been saying: Jabulani's scanty 440-gram weight, coupled with the high-altitude conditions in South Africa, means when at speeds of 44 mph or more the ball becomes susceptible to something called the "knuckle effect." That's aerodynamic shorthand for "it swerves all around like crazy at high speeds because of the air flow on the seams and stuff"

I wonder if Netherlands can stop Spain from having the possession. :hmm: That will be the key to the world cup.

I think so too. Spain had great possession of the ball and Germany, their defense was awesome!

Great game played today. Both teams, are excellent and real gentlemen. That's what I like to see.

My family already knows.....do not bother mom. While, I am watching the World Cup on Sunday. Don't know who will win. But, I think it will be a fantastic game. One to remember.

Best of luck to the Netherlands and Spain! :hug::hug:

A couple things:

1. There are too many situations where it's advantageous for a player to commit a foul but where a red would be inappropriate; it has to be disincentivized somehow.

2. You have to understand that soccer was meant to be played over a long season (38 games, home and away in a 20-team league in England, Spain and Italy). Suspending a player for yellow card accumulation makes perfect sense there. Similarly, you can assume that bad penalties/red cards/offside decisions/etc. come out in the wash over the course of a season. Soccer is really poorly suited to single-elimination tournaments, which is what makes the World Cup so exciting and so maddening at the same time. I'm not sure you really want to come up with radically new rules specifically for a playoff setting (well, other than PKs, which I think are the worst way to resolve a tie in a playoff match, except for all the others).

Lol. Holland have Robin van Persie and Arjen Robben on their side, you know.

Back
Top Bottom