15 Years Ago Today: U2 Live at Irving Plaza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I lived in NYC for 15 years and not once did I get into or see one of these small shows or them riding around on a flatbed in Manhattan or see Bono at spotted pig. I tried and failed.

Fallon. Letterman.

Closest I came was letterman. I had my friend try for tix. He got them. Took his wife instead even though I gave him the idea and he knew how much I wanted to see them. He's a Bruce fan. If I did that to him hed be so angry.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So should I forgive my friend Jeff or never let it go?

Oh man, I tried and tried to get into the Irving Plaza show - to no avail. Wasn't all for naught though, the night before I met all four of them outside Irving Plaza and they all signed my ATYCLB CD booklet. There was a small crowd out there for Bono (not nearly as big as when they arrive for tour shows) but they all left after he came out and for the other three it was basically just me and a friend. Good times! :)

Never heard about this show until now... holy crap.

Was 6 years old when this happened, to make you all feel even older! :p

Last edited:

Altough I knew about the show. I know how you feel. But I have to say, I already suffer from "WTF-where did the time go"

Also this performance was a fucking GEM. 11 o'clock ticktock and a cover of Won't Get Fooled again... Love love love it!

I think they simulcast this show on the radio. My friend made me a CD of the show. I think I have it somewhere. Haven't listened to it in ages. 15 years did seem to go by quickly, but the time in between U2 albums seemed to take forever. :wink:

Great to see a young fan! I met the band and got all their autographs years before you were born. How do people your age feel about U2? Do they know who U2 are?

We're the same age then, I was 5 or 6 when this show happened

We're the same age then, I was 5 or 6 when this show happened

I.....was about 6, i think. but i get to know this show afterwards after I grow up and existence of YouTube and all that. Time IS passing faster as I grow older.

I'm similar in age to both of you. I was seven then; I'm 22 now. Christ.

I was 6, almost 7 I guess when this show came out. This semester at the University I attend, I was actually a student peer mentor/class assistant (sort of) to incoming freshman for a seminar class we had. The class I happened to land in was a class about U2. The semester just wrapped up this week, but it was a blast. Most of the kids in there never heard of them before.
The professor was sadly more into the post 2000 and The Joshua Tree. I had to show them some Zooropa and Pop.

Good lord!! Reading how some of you guys were 5-6 year old when this show happend...:huh:

I remember being here on Interfence listening online when this show happened.

I was 23 then & my son turns 5 this Thursday. Crazy how U2 has touched so many through the years.

Great, great show. I had just turned three. :crack: That blows my mind.

I was 6, almost 7 I guess when this show came out. This semester at the University I attend, I was actually a student peer mentor/class assistant (sort of) to incoming freshman for a seminar class we had. The class I happened to land in was a class about U2. The semester just wrapped up this week, but it was a blast. Most of the kids in there never heard of them before.
The professor was sadly more into the post 2000 and The Joshua Tree. I had to show them some Zooropa and Pop.

Damnit, why don't they have a class like that at my university? That's pretty awesome. Good for you.

Good lord!! Reading how some of you guys were 5-6 year old when this show happend...:huh:

I remember being here on Interfence listening online when this show happened.

I was 23 then & my son turns 5 this Thursday. Crazy how U2 has touched so many through the years.

it still amaze me that old music can entertain this random college student for so long

I was 5 when this show happened. 20 now. :crack: It would only be a few months after this performance that I started hearing about U2.

20-somethings who likes u2 cannot get along with all the hipsters who think hating big bands like U2 is cool. is that why we all ended up here?

My dad met the band in 1981 after they played at a church in his hometown of Grand Rapids, Michigan. He still has the shirt he got from the concert in storage somewhere. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom