(02-01-2005) Scalpers Be Warned - U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Scalpers Be Warned

Our thanks to many U2.Com subscribers who have sent us details of scalpers selling 'Vertigo' tour tickets - we are pursuing the leads you have mailed us.

Last week many U2 fans got in touch with us to complain about ticket touts offering tickets for the 'Vertigo 2005 Tour' at extortionate prices.

You have sent us in many useful online links and other information and a whole raft of ticket offers have already been taken down from online auction sites.

More action will follow.

Some of these touts have posed as genuine U2 fans, taken out a subscription and bought tickets in the presale only to readvertise them for huge sums.

Please be aware that anyone advertising tickets online does not have them in their possession yet - technology is helping us connect scalpers' offers with the original purchase of tickets.

When we identify rogue U2.Com subscribers as the source of sold-on tickets we are taking action to cancel the sale of those tickets and to redistribute those tickets to subscribers who have yet to get tickets.

Please also note the following clause in our terms of subscription to U2.Com.
"We reserve the right to block access to or cancel a ticket order of any user that we believe, in our sole and absolute discretion: (i) is or is associated with any ticket broker or scalper, (ii) is utilizing automated means to process or place ticket orders, or (iii) whose ticket order exceeds the stated limit."

If you have further information on scalpers and touts exploiting the tour,please let us know.

http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=1313

It's interesting to me that there is a lot of talk about "scalpers" on a website that advertises TotalTickets.com as a place to get tickets to see U2. Is Total Tickets considered "legal" scalping?
Seems hypocritical.

<<It's interesting to me that there is a lot of talk about "scalpers" on a website that advertises TotalTickets.com as a place to get tickets to see U2. Is Total Tickets considered "legal" scalping?
Seems hypocritical.>>

I absolutely agree! I've actually written to the establishment here at interference.com, but have yet to hear back... TotalTickets.com and other sites like it have disclaimers that "allow" them to sell at exorbitantly high prices, but I don't know how much legality there is in it. Either way, it really seems almost immoral for a site like Interference (which I love, btw) to be a bastion for true fans, and yet help in screwing true fans by advertising for scalping sites.

Utoo said:
<< it really seems almost immoral for a site like Interference (which I love, btw) to be a bastion for true fans, and yet help in screwing true fans by advertising for scalping sites.

behold the power of the almighty dollar...

I'm a little concerned about the idea of U2 cancelling some broker's tickets (if that is really going to happen or not is another sotry).
What about people like me who bought through a broker. I've done it from time to time before and I have no problem with it. But now I sit with 2 tickets *hoping* that the broiker I bought them from doesn't have them cancelled - then what do I do?
Is this really the right plan of attack and how does that really help the situation.
Like other people have said in these forums. I didn't join U2.com for presale tickets but does that make me less of a fan, or make my tickets any less important? Does that make it alright to, in essence, try to take my ticket away and make it available for someone else, regardless of where I bought it?
If U2.com can't make their system safe from brokers hogging the tickets - they do need to fix it - but after the fact? After many of us have purchased broker tickets and now don't know if they're any good? Would cancelling some brokers tickets really hurt the brokers anyway - would I even get a refund? Doubtful, so how is that solving the broker problem...it doesn't - all it does is leave many of us without tickets we bought legally.
They do need to redo their system of presales, but in reality to cancel broker tickets now will only anger as many people who are not U2.com members as they have already with those who joined U2.com.
Fix it yes - but fix it ahead of time and BEFORE you have problems. Screw ups happen, but you can't change that - all you can do is make sure it doesn't happen again.
Am I alone on this? What do you all think.
Sorry for the mulitple posts, but I never which forum is most applicable and I would like everyone's thought's on this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom