June 4th, 2011 - Qwest Field, Seattle, WA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:lol: Yeah, I was listening on an old skool walkman. I was in a blue Luongo jersey, and was on Edge's side on the outer rail. :D

WELL of course its BLUE!!! lol!!

yeh that was you i saw..! we should've been a little more social with the fellow vancouverites but none of us got much sleep b4 the show {i was miss-firing on 4 hours :(}, the drive n' the sun did us in... throw in a beer chug or three! n' you've got a very mellow boy here :shifty:

i'm actually watching the PVR of the game, burrows is definitely my manh!! :applaud:

thanks for posting the vids chrisEdge.!! i knew some one would have some good ones.. i was also on stage right, in the circle close to the outer railing!! so Bono didnt show much love to our side of things.. Edge kept us company though :wink:

once i get organised mid week, i'll post some pictures, i've got a crapload of'em! lets hope for the best!:heart:

I like Saturday shows the most. They have a bigger, better and barmier vibe than Sunday or Wednesday shows. Saturday shows are more social. Loads more of the marvellous, familiar crazy U2 addicts fly in from all over America, Canada and beyond. And there are even more marvellous crazy U2 addicts to meet for the first time. Saturday shows are more fun, with a messy pre-gig pub session on Friday night to anticipate the gig (especially with a dangerous crew of peer-pressuring, beer-guzzling Canucks), and a merry post-gig pub session on Saturday night to prolong the aftershock. The weekend buzz around Saturday shows creates an infectious party atmosphere for U2 tourists. It’s like cheering for a footie team at an important away match where they always win (Macedonia, say).

Last night’s show completed a North America tour low five, with an identical setlist for the fifth show in a row. This caused a very funny U2 setlist demonstration outside the Owl and Thistle at pub chucking-out time on Sunday morning, with demonstrators who had travelled from the Winnipeg and Edmonton shows chanting “Change one song! Change one song! Change one song!” (A U2 tribute band called Zoo Station played in the Owl and Thistle for three hours on Friday night, and again on Saturday night, covering perhaps fifty songs, including the hallowed Acrobat, which sure was something.) Bono talked during the Seattle show about the importance of starting again, so this setlist Groundhog Day may continue.

After Lenny Kravitz’s set I very naughtily grabbed a place in the third row from the front rail at the side below Adam, to hook up with the magnetically effervescent twins Mel and Neel, and their bubbly buddy Jenny. It was quite rude of me to claim a spot so far forward, but, well, it was too difficult to resist gate-crashing the best party in the pit. (Zooropa!) Adam popped past frequently to smile his approval at the girls’ party. (The people along the front row at this part of the rail were bizarrely static throughout the show.)

The show highlight for me last night was a manic, extended Until The End Of The World. Bono was out on the bridge near us during Edge’s solo, and throwing roses out into the crowd like an angry floral rioter for peace. He then staggered backwards jerkily across the bridge, like he’d been riddled with bullets from an unseen enemy. It was a noisily compulsive piece of rock opera.

The triple of UTEOTW, All I Want Is You and Stay was an unlikely highlight sequence. Bono’s singing during All I Want Is You, Stay, and the Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? intro to Streets had a beautiful, fractured tenderness to it. (Brad S told me afterwards that Bono had teared up during his speech before AIWIY.)

Some songs are better enjoyed from further back on the field than at the front of the pit (e.g. UTEOTW, Zooropa, City Of Blinding Lights. Streets, With Or Without You). I’d always thought that Crazy Tonight was in this category, as the stage lights and screen show are disco-dazzling, and because the band are off cavorting around the outer stage. But it was marrow-wobblingly wonderful being so close to the bass and subwoofers under the stage when Larry sprinted back to his kit for the big kick towards the end of the song. Bopping along to the stomping Discotheque snippet had me craving a full show of U2 playing pounding remixes.

The atmosphere behind and around us in the pit was quite flat throughout, strangely including during Sunday Bloody Sunday, which usually rouses everyone from just spectating during Crazy. It looked like it was going off more up in the stands. I spent many prolonged moments during the show watching the people up in the nosebleeds dancing along, especially during Pride and Streets, which both had Qwest Field pulsing like only those two stadium monsters can. One had even more of its usual gorgeous, cuddly, shared introspection, which is quite a trick in a stadium show.

I'm currently in a motel somewhere in Oregon, not quite halfway on a Pacific coast road-trip from Seattle to San Francisco with Brad and Jack. Gonna be a long day on the road tomorra ...

Random observations:

- New (?) commander on the International Space Station, new video link-up. Now that In a Little While has been dropped, there hasn’t been any ISS element in the show since South America. The current ISS commander provided a new, gravity-defying signage intro to Beautiful Day, in place of Bono reading a poem with a cutie from the audience. The link-up also included a “See China right in front of you” commander cameo during the song itself.

-
There were new text elements on the video screen at the end of Zooropa through the start of City Of Blinding Light, with the text “Ask the right questions” and then “The more you see the less you feel”.

-
When the wind ain’t favourable it’s quite distracting but funny to watch two roadies scrambling around behind Bono trying to blow dry-ice smoke up his Hold Me Thrill Me. Last night they successfully managed to mostly miss him. They probably should have jumped down into the security pit and pumped the smoke up from there.

-
There were shout-outs to Aung San Suu Kyi’s son who was at the gig, Bill and Melinda Gates (for their dedication, inspiration – and cash), and also for REM and Pearl Jam.

-
With the static setlist, I’ve been trying to get some spontaneous moments from the little jams U2 used to end songs. Some of these seemed to be fun, improvised band riffs, with Larry calling the instrumental shots.

Thanks for making this, Chris!! I think that was me yelling, "Diana! Diana!!" to trojanchick99! LOL! I went mad when they played this during soundcheck. I was singing along, and one guy in front of me turned around and asked, "You know the words to this song?" And I wanted to smack him in the head!!

What a great show!! Denver was mind-blowing as my first concert for this leg, but Seattle was special in its own way because I had so many of my friends there, and we got to enjoy the show together! :hug:

Elevation was unforgettable for Iris, Dana and myself since Bono paid special attention to our group and sang the first verse right in front of us, complete with gyrating hips to the lyrics of "as the orbit of your hips, eclipse..." :lol:

The debut of the LED jackets in Denver was a nice surprise, and though Seattle didn't get to see these flashing lights, we got the lovely element of surprise with Mark Kelly's introduction to Beautiful Day and his "Hello Seattle!!" that will forever be ingrained in my brain.

So many things to say, but I have to go to work now :( but will be back to share more!

Elevation was unforgettable for Iris, Dana and myself since Bono paid special attention to our group and sang the first verse right in front of us, complete with gyrating hips to the lyrics of "as the orbit of your hips, eclipse..." :lol:

and because of this particular part of the show, I am officially a fan of Elevation. :combust: :drool::heart:

just wanted to say that I was at the show with my 9 year old daughter and it was PERFECT. Everyone in line around us, allllll day in that hot sun, was so nice and friendly. People saved our spot when we had to go brave the portapotties, and shared sunscreen when we ran out. Even got some free beer just before we went in, although that I did not share with my daughter. ;)

We got an awesome spot on the front rail inside the cirle, Edge's side. My daughter was so happy to be able to see without anyone in front blocking her view. The fans around us were, again, spectacular. We had to leave the floor twice after we got our spot, but they saved our space. People who we have never met before took time to talk to my girl about U2 and were really careful to make sure she had enough room and didn't get squished up against the rail. Some other random fans on my other side brought us water from the concessions. I just can't say enough good stuff about my fellow fans. You all are my tribe. :throb:

oh, yeah, the band was okay too. :sexywink:
One of my favorite things was seeing the smiles the boys would give each other as they passed by in between songs or whatever. Not smiles for the crowd, not putting on a show, just four boys doing what they've been doing together for 30 years and still LOVING it.

I loved the show. I sang my heart out to every song. I cried my eyes out during MOS, it hit me hard. I wasn't the only one who got something in their eye, though. I got lots of pats on the back as I sang and smiled and cried. It was an amazing moment for me personally.

Seeing U2 live is like coming home for me. It had been 6 years since I saw them last, and I just hope I don't have to wait another 6 years to go home again.

Your review almost made me tear up. Fellow u2 fans are the best. :)

Whew FINALLY recovered enough to post something here.

This was our first GA experience and we are EXTREMELY pleased with how it went. The line went smoothly for us, we ended up exactly where we wanted (3 people away from Edge, inner circle), and we had plenty of room to FREAK OUT, DANCE, and SING.

It was great. Loved it. Every minute. Even though my body protested greatly by the end and we had to all down Tylenol as soon as we left the show, it was still the best thing we'd ever accomplished.

TOTAL LOVE.

Here's my photostream on Flickr for your perusal, my camera wasn't doing the best job, but I'm happy with the results anyway. Editing to come later.
Flickr: nwc_orca's Photostream

Wish I could have met some of you fine folks, but you know how it goes.

:heart:

I should add some details I s'pose:

1. I seriously almost peed my pants when Edge came out. WE WERE SO CLOSE. (This is also because I was holding it until the show was over, but excitement + plus jumping up and down DID NOT HELP.)
  2. I teared up three times, all during Walk On and One. I can't believe I contained myself that well. I totally expected tears streaming down my face. NERD.
  3. I could hardly walk straight after. My hips were killing me (and still are a little tetchy today.)
  4. Can't believe more people that bothered to get as close as us were JUST STANDING THERE. What the what?
  5. Two words: Edge's stubble. :heart:
Gonna peruse photos in a bit, but did anyone get a good pic of Adam's gorgeous purple bass? I think I'm in love.

I was singing along, and one guy in front of me turned around and asked, "You know the words to this song?"

Haha there are always plenty of those people at a U2 concert. They're the ones who consider AIWIY a bathroom song because it's slow. Good to see the boys back on US soil and I'm anxiously awaiting Pittsburgh next month!

The show highlight for me last night was a manic, extended Until The End Of The World. Bono was out on the bridge near us during Edge’s solo, and throwing roses out into the crowd like an angry floral rioter for peace. He then staggered backwards jerkily across the bridge, like he’d been riddled with bullets from an unseen enemy. It was a noisily compulsive piece of rock opera.

This was my highlight as well. Edge's bridge was set by the corner crab leg, but he had turned himself back towards the RZ section for the solo. I was in such a bliss that I feared reaching for my phone to snap some pics would wreck the mood. It was a beautiful moment. My body obviously was possessed by a 16 year old girl in love with the Edge. I was bouncing around and swaying to the riffs in such a carefree manner that was so unlike myself. Simply awesome.

I can't wait to see the 360 fancam. I saw them set it up and quickly told everyone around me to get ready and smile. I think I may have timed it right and blew a kiss at that moment. :D

I can't wait to see the 360 fancam. I saw them set it up and quickly told everyone around me to get ready and smile. I think I may have timed it right and blew a kiss at that moment. :D

Nice! My concert buddies picked literally five minutes before the fancam set up to go to the bathroom! Poo! So hopefully they're in there, just maybe, walking out, oblivious? I smiled and waved at least...

Some songs are better enjoyed from further back on the field than at the front of the pit (e.g. UTEOTW, Zooropa, City Of Blinding Lights. Streets, With Or Without You). I’d always thought that Crazy Tonight was in this category, as the stage lights and screen show are disco-dazzling, and because the band are off cavorting around the outer stage.
I completely agree!
But it was marrow-wobblingly wonderful being so close to the bass and subwoofers under the stage when Larry sprinted back to his kit for the big kick towards the end of the song.
"marrow-wobblingly wonderful" :lol: I think that's my new favorite phrase!

- New (?) commander on the International Space Station, new video link-up. Now that In a Little While has been dropped, there hasn’t been any ISS element in the show since South America. The current ISS commander provided a new, gravity-defying signage intro to Beautiful Day, in place of Bono reading a poem with a cutie from the audience. The link-up also included a “See China right in front of you” commander cameo during the song itself.

He's not the commander of ISS, he's Mark Kelly, the commander of NASA space shuttle Endeavor which is currently in orbit right now. :) He has been in the US news this past few months because his wife, a Congresswoman from Arizona, Gabby Giffords, was the target of a shootout in January this year. Mark's twin brother, Scott Kelly, was the ISS commander at the time of the shooting.
Gabby survived the shooting despite a bullet passing through her brain. There were times when it was doubtful Mark would remain the Endeavor commander, but with her fast recovery pace, I guess they made the decision not to pull him out. She was even able to attend the launch in May. There are stories about how Gabby Giffords' favorite song during her recuperation is Beautiful Day by U2, and that it is the song she chose for the wake-up call for the Endeavor crew.
So the song and the band has a special meaning to both of them, and now, they're also part of the U2360 Tour! :) It was a very special moment for us to watch that. Mark was reading off some of the lyrics while Bono stood there on the outer catwalk, staring in awe at the screen, like the rest of us.

It was very emotional seeing Mark Kelly up on that screen saying "Tell my wife I love her very much, she knows" and Bono looking up and snippeting Space Oddity later on.

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on
Tell my wife I love her very much, she knows

It was a hightech thematic 360 moment that connected right in the :heart:.

Ack! I can't work today. All this reliving the show. :drool:

Still in Seattle. Spent the day yesterday, sightseeing and watching Killing Bono. Closed it out with an epic performance of U2 Karaoke. Elevation was incredible right Cori?

As for the show, this was my first time on the rail. I was outer rail just to the left of center, with Redcat and EdgeOrchestra. It was amazing. EBTTRT is an incredible opener. I tried to be spoiler free after South America, and it paid off during All I Want Is You. I was gobsmacked they replaced ISHFWILF with it. I was so happy I cried. Then they played STAY! Awesome. I also lost it on the Discotheque snippet in Crazy Tonight.

This was my favorite 360 show. I never thought anything would beat Rome, but this one did.

I took video and pictures (alot of pictures)

Here's a small sample:

Edge by trojanchick99, on Flickr

P1000765 by trojanchick99, on Flickr

Bono and Adam Crazy Tonight by trojanchick99, on Flickr

P1000736 by trojanchick99, on Flickr

Bono by trojanchick99, on Flickr

Here's a link to the album on Facebook. U2 Seattle Album6

I am also getting rave reviews from colleagues that have never been to a U2 concert and aren't as passionate as I am about the band! They were stunned at the crowd reaction! One said as he stood dead center of the floor that he was overcome with the chanting from the stands as the crowd up in the rafters sang and cheered, it was sooo loud!

I thought the same thing and that the crowd was totally in to it! I still can't think clearly, I am in a daze. Can't believe I was there, it the best concert ever I have ever been to! And as one of the stadium staff said this was the LARGEST PUBLIC event in Seattle HISTORY! WOW!!:drool: Thank you Seattle for wrapping U2 up in a loud enthusiastic hug Saturday, the boys noticed!!:applaud::up:
And they say American crowds are not passionate...:|:huh: NOT. They haven't been to Seattle to see a show now have they?:D:applaud:

I had been spoiler free since February, so I was absolutely in the dark about everything. Thank you so much to everyone I met who didn't mention any song titles around me, as it was SO worth it to be completely surprised by some of the songs.

Highlights for me were EBTTRT, IWF, AIWIY (totally sobbed :lol: ), Zooropa (DUUUUDE, that was sweet), the Discotheque snippet in Crazy Tonight, and HMTMKMKM. I was crossing my fingers that they'd play that one, and completely went crazy when it started. Sorry to Chrisedge (who I was standing right next to) if I spoiled any of your videos with my freakouts. :)

I had some fabulous GA line buddies, including a family from Victoria who were so cool and were fellow Canucks fans, an awesome guy who shared food & water with us (THANK YOU!!), and various other people that I met throughout the day.

This was definitely the best show I've ever seen. I took some pictures that I'll be uploading tonight, but for the most part I just had my camera shut off or in my purse so I could just absorb everything. :heart:

ETA - Oh yeah, and this was my first time in GA ever, and it was a fabulous experience. There was some stress at a few points, but all of that just melted away once the show started. :) I'm never going back to the seats again!!

It was very emotional seeing Mark Kelly up on that screen saying "Tell my wife I love her very much, she knows" and Bono looking up and snippeting Space Oddity later on.
Yes! I broke into goosebumps at that moment.
Ack! I can't work today. All this reliving the show. :drool:
Tell me about it! There's news that the president of the company I work for just resigned today, and all I can think about is I hope the company is not going under since I have to pay for these U2 shows... :huh: priorities...

After Lenny Kravitz’s set I very naughtily grabbed a place in the third row from the front rail at the side below Adam, to hook up with the magnetically effervescent twins Mel and Neel, and their bubbly buddy Jenny. It was quite rude of me to claim a spot so far forward, but, well, it was too difficult to resist gate-crashing the best party in the pit. (Zooropa!) Adam popped past frequently to smile his approval at the girls’ party. (The people along the front row at this part of the rail were bizarrely static throughout the show.)

I saw you, I think--you were wearing the shirt that matches your avatar? If that was you, I was behind and left of you a few people. And you're lucky you didn't try to squeeze in in front of me! :shame:

I had an AMAZING time. Nothing will ever compare to my first show, the second night in Boston in May of '05, when I was second from the outer rail on Edge's side, but this was the best of the three I've been to since then. We got there around 3:30 and lined up for GA, got inside around 5:30 I think. In keeping with my "no stress" policy, we wandered in, saw that there was still plenty of room fairly close to the outer rail, and went back out to get food and shop. We went back in around 6 and claimed a spot a few back from the rail on Adam's side. While we were sitting there, I saw a security guy talking to some people next to us, who then took off running toward the side of the stage. I sent my husband over to find out what was up, and he came back and said that the guy was saying we could go into the inner circle if we wanted, because it wasn't full. I was like, "F@#$ yeah!"

So we went in and found a spot facing Adam's side of the stage, between the stage and the RZ, about 6 people back from the rail. This was my first experience with the complete awesomeness of U2 fans. We were next to an older couple from Portland, a couple with two boys, and another couple who had just gotten their tickets that day from someone who couldn't make it. We ended up saving spots for one another when we needed bathroom breaks and clustering together to keep out people who were trying to crowd into our space.

I felt like the crowd around me was pretty subdued, much more than I would have liked. I sang and danced (although I don't know how active even I looked to people around me!), but most people looked like they were just kind of standing there. No one else in my immediate vicinity was even singing!

I loved loved loved Until the End of the World and Bono on the catwalk RIGHT BESIDE ME with the roses. That's one of those songs that was never my favorite on the album but I love live. When he started making like he was going to crawl over the side of the bridge right next to me.... :D

Zooropa and the Discoteque snippet were also highlights for me; I hate that I wasn't ever able to go to a show in the '90s (something about being in middle and high school and having protective parents...).

My photos weren't great, even as close as I was. Think I need a new, concert-approved camera.

I don't want to come down from reality. Saturday was like a dream for me, a dream come true to be on the rail at a U2 show with an awesome stadium full of screaming fans~!:hyper:
Anybody else feeling sad it's over? :sad: What a let down coming to work today... yawn. :| I want to do it again!! :)

I saw you, I think--you were wearing the shirt that matches your avatar? If that was you, I was behind and left of you a few people. And you're lucky you didn't try to squeeze in in front of me! :shame:

I had an AMAZING time. Nothing will ever compare to my first show, the second night in Boston in May of '05, when I was second from the outer rail on Edge's side, but this was the best of the three I've been to since then. We got there around 3:30 and lined up for GA, got inside around 5:30 I think. In keeping with my "no stress" policy, we wandered in, saw that there was still plenty of room fairly close to the outer rail, and went back out to get food and shop. We went back in around 6 and claimed a spot a few back from the rail on Adam's side. While we were sitting there, I saw a security guy talking to some people next to us, who then took off running toward the side of the stage. I sent my husband over to find out what was up, and he came back and said that the guy was saying we could go into the inner circle if we wanted, because it wasn't full. I was like, "F@#$ yeah!"

So we went in and found a spot facing Adam's side of the stage, between the stage and the RZ, about 6 people back from the rail. This was my first experience with the complete awesomeness of U2 fans. We were next to an older couple from Portland, a couple with two boys, and another couple who had just gotten their tickets that day from someone who couldn't make it. We ended up saving spots for one another when we needed bathroom breaks and clustering together to keep out people who were trying to crowd into our space.

I felt like the crowd around me was pretty subdued, much more than I would have liked. I sang and danced (although I don't know how active even I looked to people around me!), but most people looked like they were just kind of standing there. No one else in my immediate vicinity was even singing!

I loved loved loved Until the End of the World and Bono on the catwalk RIGHT BESIDE ME with the roses. That's one of those songs that was never my favorite on the album but I love live. When he started making like he was going to crawl over the side of the bridge right next to me.... :D

Zooropa and the Discoteque snippet were also highlights for me; I hate that I wasn't ever able to go to a show in the '90s (something about being in middle and high school and having protective parents...).

My photos weren't great, even as close as I was. Think I need a new, concert-approved camera.

Security was probably running over to assist me in 2nd row inside, as I had a douchenozzle pour half a pint of whiskey down my back after he started talking *%&# to the girl I was with.

Too all the restraint in the world for me not to tackle/punch this guy, as I knew I would probably not be at the show the rest of the night.

I don't want to come down from reality. Saturday was like a dream for me, a dream come true to be on the rail at a U2 show with an awesome stadium full of screaming fans~!:hyper:
Anybody else feeling sad it's over? :sad: What a let down coming to work today... yawn. :| I want to do it again!! :)

Letdown has not happened for me yet, I am still wired. Entire thing feels like it was a dream, but it wasnt!

Met a lot of great people, and would have to say that day ranks right up there with one of the best days I have ever had, and I have been lucky to do a lot of cool things in my life.

Security was probably running over to assist me in 2nd row inside, as I had a douchenozzle pour half a pint of whiskey down my back after he started talking *%&# to the girl I was with.

Too all the restraint in the world for me not to tackle/punch this guy, as I knew I would probably not be at the show the rest of the night.

I saw that; was wondering what was going on. We were inside as well by then.

Edit: I see now that what I said didn't make so much sense. The point was just that security was going around the outer area telling people that there was room in the inner circle and they could go in if they wanted. We took them up on that offer.

So my experience started 4 weeks ago, knowing the concert was coming, but didnt want to pay outrageous prices for GA tickets. (they were going for $125-150 a month ago) I knew there would be a bubble coming, and it did. I was able to snag my single ticket for $60 off CL.

Now it was time to find someone to go with. All my friends have kids, so it was difficult trying to convince any of them to go, and everyone else I know wanted to go, but didnt want to do the GA thing.

Jessica responded to my CL ad for a rideshare up there for the show, and at least we each have someone to enjoy the show with. We met for first time on friday for coffee in Portland, and mapped out our gameplan for Saturday.

I told myself I was going to get to sleep early friday night, but of course, that never happened. I ended up staying up until almost 12:30 finishing up cleaning truck, packing snacks and cooler, and mapping out the easiest Jamba Juice to get to on the way up there.

By this time, I was actively posting on the forum here, which was a gigantic help in learning how this whole thing was going to go down. I really appreciate everyones information for a U2/GA virgin. The only unknown at this point, was what we were going to do for parking once we got there. I am familiar with the area, due to being a Seahawks season tix holder. I was able to snag a street level lot for $20 for all day/night, and was only 2 blocks from the stadium.

We got there about 8:30, got our spot in line, dropped off gear, and I went to park truck. I returned and camped out with all the very fun people we had in line. Two women next to us, one traveled here from England for the show, and the two guys on the other side of us had driven up from Portland as well.

Getting to sit outside all day, and hear the sound checks going on, was awesome. Was like a pre-concert concert, and was fun to see all of our crowd cheering and clapping at the end of every song. We were still hours from the show, and the energy level was awesome! Alicia got there and I was able to walk 75 feet from my spot in line and meet her, and all of the rest of the interference gang. Was nice chatting with you all!

I was super impressed with the older security gentleman with the headset on, as he had an incredible job that day with helping to keep things in order. He was very informative, and I could tell that even though he had a long day in store for himself, that he was appreciative of all of us U2 fans being so orderly and polite. They did a fantastic job I believe, in keeping us informed of timelines and how they wanted things to work. They started coming down the line around noon, letting everyone know that around 1pm to try to keep a smooth path available so they could get everyones wristbands done in a timely matter. Once that was complete, they told us that near 3pm we needed to get our stuff back to our vehicles, and be ready in line no later than 3:45pm.

Went to stow gear in truck, grab a big bottle of water from a Deli on first avenue, and got back into line. Right then we started crawling forward as they were beginning the ticket scanning for our first group. Now we were outside the gate into the stadium for 45 minutes, hearing U2 wrap up their sound-check. Hearing them rehearse "The Fly" got me hopeful that we might hear it. The noise that just 400 of us made hearing them wrap it up was LOUD!

We started moving through the gate, and I followed Jessica into the stadium, we made it down inside the stage area, and kinda wandered for a minute on Edge's side, but it was already 4 rows deep. We moved over, and were about 3 rows back on Adam's side, but things were still pretty spread out, and I convinced Jessica that we should stay put as once we tightened up, we would be 2nd row easy. We both needed to use the restroom, and took turns, easily being able to get back to our spot when we returned.

Only letdown of the day (there has to be one), was a very drunk guy mingling with the people to my left (jessica was standing to my right). I thought he was with them, so didnt say anything when he moved around the back of me over to my right next to Jessica. He started saying something to her, I couldnt hear. Jessica leans over to me telling me she is going to elbow him in the face, so I got his attention away from her and we tried to position ourselves to ignore him. He then asked me why she was such a bitch, and I kindly as I could told him to leave us alone and enjoy the show. He then spilled whisky all down the side and back of my shirt, and it took me a lot to hold back from going after him, my patience went from 100% to nothing in 5 seconds. I got the people in front of me to part so I could get security to get him. Last I saw him disappear into the crowd behind me, but security was everywhere swarming in on him.

Was nice that everyone around me gave me a pat on the back saying how well I handled this, and I guess someone else 15 feet to our right was already trying to flag down security before he spilled his pint all over me.

I get over things quickly though, and dismissed it as just a single asshat that was not going to ruin our night.

Lenny came on stage like 2 minutes after that, and he ROCKED! His new single he opened with was an AMAZING song to see in person, we were dancing from the first few seconds he was on stage. If you love music like I do, you were at least swaying a little to the beat at that point. I love his raw emotion, and he has some serious game on stage.

I kind of wish he would have played "Bring it On", but I am happy with what we got. I definitely need to see a full show when he comes back to the PacNW. I love any musician that has the emotion that he has when he is live. He had to be feeling good already seeing at least 40k people in the stadium. That and seeing all of us in the pit already having an amazing start to our night.

I had not seen U2, since I was a senior in HS back in 1987 on the "Unforgettable Fire" tour. 24 Years was WAY too long to wait to see U2, but now that I think about it, maybe the wait was well worth it.

Before LK performed, and we stood up close, I was absolutely amazed at "The Claw". What an engineering feat that is, and I cannot even imagine how much money this must have cost. I knew that we were in store to see something amazing.

The energy level and anticipation level grew higher and higher as we were anxiously awaiting to hear "space oddity" chime in on the speakers. Everytime a background song would quiet down, I was hoping we would hear the into start. I knew waiting 24 years that just a few more minutes would be fine.

Then, it happened, "space oddity" started up, and the lights started to dim. Aiming camera up at the video screen could see Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry making their way onto the stage, and it literally made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Was hard to believe I was there, and right next to the stage. Larry gets mic'ed up, and started drumming as you can hear Edge and Adam on their guitars. Then out of nowhere, Bono was front and center, just 15 feet from us, getting the show to a rocking start!

I was in some kind of euphoria for the entire show, just mesmerized by all the eye and ear candy. So much to take in, but I would do it all over again the next day if I had to.

I thought the sound was incredible from where we were, and I loved seeing the 4 boys after some of the songs walk next to each other and smile. I could tell even after all these years, they looked like they were having as much fun as they did when they first started back in Ireland years ago. You could tell they were feeding off the energy from all of us fans around them. Very cool to witness.

I actually cried a little during "with or without you". I had a casual friend back in 1987 that committed suicide on a saturday night, and we were at club we went to all the time in Portland. The news broke of this happening at the club, and the DJ played this song for him after finding out. Fantastic song, and brought back a few memories of that night.

I think my favorites of the night were Stay, Beautiful Day, Pride (my #1 fav U2 song), Zooropa (amazing lights!), Walk On, and my 2nd fav song, Thrill Me Kiss me. That was amazing to see Bono in that Jacket with lasers. When he swung out over the stage at the end, I literally could have reached up and grabbed his feet, he was THAT close.

Before you know it, the show was over, and every single person around me was glowing with emotion after we all probably saw the greatest concert we have seen. I was really at a loss for words and was the happiest I have been in quite a while. The rush of emotion was incredible.

We got back to my truck at midnight, and onto I-5 about 12:30, and started driving "the slog" back to Portland.

Had the perfect CD to listen to on the way home after a loud concert, which is the soundtrack to "Until the end of the World", that U2 has their same titled song on.

Made it home at about 3:45am after dropping off Jessica at home, and even though I was close to being up for 24 hours, had to hop on to FB to post a few photos and read if any others from interference on here had posted anything yet.

Again I want to thank all of you who I met, who made this trip even better. We could not have had a better day than we did. The weather gods smiled upon us that day.

I know this was long-winded, but hopefully those that could not make it, can live vicariously through my post and feel like they were there with us.

Y2IuN.jpg

When we started lining up for GA, I kept hearing rumors about Qwest wanting to confine the GA line in a closed off area with full facilities but limited (or non-existent) access to get out of/return to the area.

Saturday morning we found out the GA line condition was fairly normal, people were able to leave for lunch or freshen up and come back. Chairs, coolers, etc were allowed until a certain time.

So I thought maybe the rumors were just false. Then I overheard the person in front of me talking to one of the Northeast gate supervisors at Qwest, and he confirmed that Qwest's original plan was what the rumors said, keep the GA people in a safe area with no access to leave/return. But then he said the U2 tour personnel made them scrap that plan because they didn't like it.

I don't know the exact reason why they didn't like it, but from what I gathered, Qwest had to come up with another game plan to allow flexibility for the fans to make them more comfortable lining up all day.

If this is true, then I'm writing my letter of gratitude to U2.com (the only official channel I know) for thinking of what's best for the fans. :love:

When we started lining up for GA, I kept hearing rumors about Qwest wanting to confine the GA line in a closed off area with full facilities but limited (or non-existent) access to get out of/return to the area.

Saturday morning we found out the GA line condition was fairly normal, people were able to leave for lunch or freshen up and come back. Chairs, coolers, etc were allowed until a certain time.

So I thought maybe the rumors were just false. Then I overheard the person in front of me talking to one of the Northeast gate supervisors at Qwest, and he confirmed that Qwest's original plan was what the rumors said, keep the GA people in a safe area with no access to leave/return. But then he said the U2 tour personnel made them scrap that plan because they didn't like it.

I don't know the exact reason why they didn't like it, but from what I gathered, Qwest had to come up with another game plan to allow flexibility for the fans to make them more comfortable lining up all day.

If this is true, then I'm writing my letter of gratitude to U2.com (the only official channel I know) for thinking of what's best for the fans. :love:

wow, glad to see they are involved in it. Here I was thinking they weren't. Thank you U2 tour mgt. :applaud:

I was super impressed with the older security gentleman with the headset on, as he had an incredible job that day with helping to keep things in order. He was very informative, and I could tell that even though he had a long day in store for himself, that he was appreciative of all of us U2 fans being so orderly and polite. They did a fantastic job I believe, in keeping us informed of timelines and how they wanted things to work.

:up: His name was Kimo (Kemo? I don't know how you spell it). He was awesome. They definitely had a great team there keeping us up to date on everything.

I talked hockey with him for a while, once he noticed me in my jersey. :D

Yeah, I'm glad someone from U2's camp got involved. It would be awesome if they just had someone on their staff to coordinate the GA stuff with the staff, just so they knew what was going on.

It's amazing how much confusion there is with the stadium staff surrounding what the pit is (one guy thought that all GA people went in there or something), where exactly the Red Zones are, or even knowing what the instructions on their website said.

The older guy with the headset helped us out over at the west gates as well. I went up before 5 to confirm that GA ticket holders could also come in these gates, as instructed on the Qwest website.

Initially, they were saying that all GA ticket holders had to join the queue and go in on the NE sides, and I think a lot of people went there after being told as such. However, another gal came up with a printout of the instructions from the site, so headset guy went to check it out, and came back to confirm we could go in that way.

Which, of course, means that latecomers like me could still beat some people from the line into the stadium. Which, to be honest, sucks for those who came early. But I think most people going in on that side didn't really know what the skinny was, so they were wandering around going to the bathroom, getting drinks, whatever. So I don't know that a lot of other GA ticket holders got to the primo spots before the queue made it all the way in.

Anyway. Glad to know U2 is paying attention, but I'm still kind of surprised there's always so much confusion on the day before and day of show. You'd think they'd have a liaison on staff for that kind of thing.

Had a great time on Saturday. While not my first GA experience it was the first time I've lined up for a show. We decided at the last minute Friday night to put our names on the list. You people at O&T are bad influences :) I think we ended up 165 on the list. The line was pretty mellow until they had us all moved. I think I lost places and people started to cut in line. Then after security we kind of got pushed to the side. But, with those numbers we weren't going to get a rail spot anyway. Once we got in the stadium we knew we wanted outer rail. And I'm glad we did. We were second row dead center and loved it. I've done the pit before and this was so much better. Lenny was good but, the camera guy was in front of us the whole time. When U2 came on the tears came up. It was almost like the first time I saw them again. But, I probably think that everytime I see them. Highlight for me was Elevation and Sunday Bloody Sunday. Probably cause Bono was right in front of me. Beautiful day was special. I felt like the people around me had a lot of energy. But, I may have just been in my own world. I lost my voice by the end and couldn't scream anymore. Great, great, great show.

Back
Top Bottom