What Should Be U2's Tsunami Concert Setlist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vertigo
Streets
One

Although if they play at this gig I expect them to play more than 3 songs. They are obviously a huge band now, and at Live Aid Queen performed about 6 songs.

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bad/snippet of Miss Sarajevo(the "Is there a time" lyrics would relate perfectly)
One
Mothers of the Disappeared

I just don't see U2 playing a party song like Vertigo at a benefit to some 150,000 dead people....

I mean, they didn't come one "Tribute to Heroes" after 9/11 and start up with "Elevation" or "Beautiful Day"...it would have been incredibly tacky, just as playing a fun song like Vertigo would be at this benefit concert.

Last edited:
I would say "Vertigo" to get the crowd going, then "Crumbs," "IGWSHA" "One" then "Wake Up Dead Man." "Yahweh" would be nice in there too.

I'm tempted to go for four songs.

One
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Bad
Walk On

If I had to cut one, Bad would go.

I think they'd be getting a QUEEN like time, as they can sing 6 or 7 songs...

Miracle Drug
Vertigo
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bad / When I Look At The World
Where The Streets Have No Name
One
Pride (In The Name Of Love) - ("this song we didn't get to play it at Live Aid... but this is for YOU!!")

Mothers Of The Dissapeared is TOO HARD... the lyrics are too hard for people to handle them

I'm not so sure about MD... If I could change it (and blew your minds) I'd put MLK (... let it rain, rain down on him.... tick tick tick tick.... 1, 2 ,3 14!!!)

tick = drumsticks

Have you seen the MOthers of the Disappeared the band did for Popmart in Chile and Argentina? (Thank you forever to the forgotten person who sent me those, as well as Ali's Chernobyl documentary "Black Wind, White Land"--RIP Propaganda.) :(

The "El Pueblo Vencera" ("the people united wil overcome") was gorgeous and there would be a way for the band to sing this in, say, a verse in Thai, one in Tamil, etc. They did this all the time in the 80's and 90's at their shows--Bono signing a phrase in the local language--with no embarassment whatsoever. I used to think MOTD was unplayable live--it could never capture the beauty and stark power of the album. (I also consider it their best ever song by a landslide.) But it turned out the Spanish was in the origional but the band knocked it off for the album version, and thank God, becuase Bono's holy anguised crooning at the end huants me forever.

I'm astonished at some of these setlists. Concerts like this are not meant to be rock shows, the audience does not to be pumped up. There are entirely too many upbeat rock numbers here. No Vertigo, no Beautiful Day, nothing like that. We want the music to make these people weep, we want them to be touched to the core. That's why I suggested the setlist I did. No big rock numbers. Just somber, downbeat, ballad or ballad-like numbers of despair and sadness and hope from sadness. I guarantee you people who have just lost their loved ones are not looking to make devil ears with their hands while jumping up and down to a song like Vertigo. Use some common sense.

Sometimes
Bad/40
WTSHNN

With a lot of clapping, the band decide to give something extra, HA!, I broke the rules, but I had to, and they do what I believe is going to be the closing song of most of the tour, Yahweh.

Crowd becomes further engulfed in yours truly.

Miggy D said:
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

Sorry, but who would play this at such an event?
WGRYWH or HMTMKMKM? Come on. Sorry, but I couldn't stand this.

ImOuttaControl said:
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bad/snippet of Miss Sarajevo(the "Is there a time" lyrics would relate perfectly)
One
Mothers of the Disappeared

I just don't see U2 playing a party song like Vertigo at a benefit to some 150,000 dead people....

I mean, they didn't come one "Tribute to Heroes" after 9/11 and start up with "Elevation" or "Beautiful Day"...it would have been incredibly tacky, just as playing a fun song like Vertigo would be at this benefit concert.

:up:

I was thinking just about the same thing. Make "Sunday Bloody Sunday" acoustic or stripped down to 1 guitar like Popmart.

I totally agree with the second part also! Some of these setlists people are proposing would be SOO tacky to be played at a benefit concert for such a tragety.

If there is a concert played and U2 is playing it they should play

One
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Yahweh

Have you seen the MOthers of the Disappeared the band did for Popmart in Chile and Argentina?

look my location... :|

The "El Pueblo Vencera" ("the people united wil overcome") was gorgeous and there would be a way for the band to sing this in, say, a verse in Thai, one in Tamil, etc. They did this all the time in the 80's and 90's at their shows--Bono signing a phrase in the local language--with no embarassment whatsoever. I used to think MOTD was unplayable live--it could never capture the beauty and stark power of the album. (I also consider it their best ever song by a landslide.) But it turned out the Spanish was in the origional but the band knocked it off for the album version, and thank God, becuase Bono's holy anguised crooning at the end huants me forever.

I'm just saying that playing that song is like pushing the envelope too much...
When they played here it was 1998... like 20 years after all that(or the mayority of that) happened

I think it would be like if your son had died, some guy came and said to you "your son died" like 2 days after

I don't know...

Miggy D said:
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

I wouldn't reallly be quick to criticize this as taking the piss. Beautiful Day and Vertigo are appropriate to get the crowd into it. We need that in every benefit gig.

HMTMKMKM is quite an odd selection though but perhaps what the original poster meant is that it is God talking to the beachgoers "I'll hold you, thrill you with all your beach Christmas fun, but I'll take you away and back to me." After all, natural disasters are God's doing as part of his bigger plan. And those whom he took away are already gifted with his kingdom and eternal life. There also is the lyric "they'll want their money back if you're alive at 33" and I'm pretty sure thousand of people younger than 33 died there.

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses does have the lyrics "who's gonna drown in your blue sea/ who's gonna taste your salt water kisses / who's gonna take the place of me." So maybe the original poster wanted these lyrics to be heard by a live audience.

Just as U2's beautiful song Yahweh says to God "take this mouth so quick to criticize", let us not be so quick to criticize the original poster. We should always view other people's posts and ideas with an open mind.

Finally, always bear in mind that U2 will be performing to an audience far away from the disaster so they can actually play any song they like and they won't take the piss. But knowing U2, they will be extra careful in their song selection and make it appropriate for the ocassion. And to be honest, I don't quite agree with MiggyD's song selection but I see where he is coming from.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

I wouldn't reallly be quick to criticize this as taking the piss. Beautiful Day and Vertigo are appropriate to get the crowd into it. We need that in every benefit gig.

HMTMKMKM is quite an odd selection though but perhaps what the original poster meant is that it is God talking to the beachgoers "I'll hold you, thrill you with all your beach Christmas fun, but I'll take you away and back to me." After all, natural disasters are God's doing as part of his bigger plan. And those whom he took away are already gifted with his kingdom and eternal life. There also is the lyric "they'll want their money back if you're alive at 33" and I'm pretty sure thousand of people younger than 33 died there.

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses does have the lyrics "who's gonna drown in your blue sea/ who's gonna taste your salt water kisses / who's gonna take the place of me." So maybe the original poster wanted these lyrics to be heard by a live audience.

Just as U2's beautiful song Yahweh says to God "take this mouth so quick to criticize", let us not be so quick to criticize the original poster. We should always view other people's posts and ideas with an open mind.

Finally, always bear in mind that U2 will be performing to an audience far away from the disaster so they can actually play any song they like and they won't take the piss. But knowing U2, they will be extra careful in their song selection and make it appropriate for the ocassion. And to be honest, I don't quite agree with MiggyD's song selection but I see where he is coming from.

Cheers,

J

Thank you, Jick. I appreciate your support. Your assumptions about my song choices were spot-on, too. You virtually read my mind.

-Miggy D

I don't want to offend anyone who posted but is it not a bit premature to be talking about this at this stage? Maybe in a year's time. They haven't even finished counting the bodies yet.

This is NOT tasteless in any way, we are talking about the setlist of the band for a gig that's not confirmed to raise cash to support the relief effort. Why is that tasteless? Was it tasteless to discuss the 1985 Live Aid setlist at the time? Was it tasteless of people trying to find out what Elton John would play at Diana's funeral? No, of course not. Really there are more important things to worry about than the discussion of a U2 setlist at the moment.

Last edited:
TC2290 said:
Really there are more important things to worry about than the discussion of a U2 setlist at the moment.

That's exactly the point I was making.

financeguy said:

That's exactly the point I was making.

Of course there are more things to worry about and we worry and discuss and reflect on it in other avenues.

But since this is a U2 forum, when we want to take a break from worrying and find and outlet and avenue in U2 - we discuss U2 here, from benefit gigs, to setlists, to album critiques, to what-have-you.

We all can't just worry about these other things 24/7.

Cheers,

J

Usually at these type of group events, 1 to 3 songs are played. If the artist has a new release and if a track from the new release is appropriate, then it will be played. As such, a song like "Sometimes..." might be apropos.

If additionaly songs are allowed, I can then see "Walk On" and "One" being likely candidates.

Of course, all of these are more solemn songs. If that's the mood of this event, then those songs are perfect. However, if the mood is to be somewhat mixed, then the addition of "Beautiful Day" or "Streets" would be a nice addition. I don't feel "Vertigo" is suitable, and while I think "Sometimes..." is a good choice, the rest of the songs on HTDAAB are so new, the general public hasn't heard them yet. Best to play songs people know, so that they open their wallets and help donate to this very worthy cause.

as I'm seeing the original thread about LIVE AID 2 I understand that people can see this as promoting the album and not helping people... so... the answer is... OLD SONGS... no HTDAAB

old like the ones I posted above... old and powerfull

Back
Top Bottom