U2 Grammy Noms 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They got two this year. Off the top of my head I believe these were also the only two songs released by them this year as well.

Category 7

Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals
(For established duos or groups, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

* (You Want To) Make A Memory
Bon Jovi
Track from: Lost Highway
[Island/Mercury]

* Home
Daughtry
[RCA Records/19 Recordings]

* Makes Me Wonder
Maroon 5
Track from: It Won't Be Soon Before Long
[Octone/A&M Records]

* Hey There Delilah
Plain White T's
Track from: Every Second Counts
[Hollywood Records]

* Window In The Skies
U2
Track from: U218 - Singles
[Interscope Records]

Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals
(For duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

* It's Not Over
Daughtry
[RCA Records/19 Recordings]

* Working Class Hero
Green Day
Track from: Instant Karma - The Campaign To Save Darfur
[Warner Bros.]

* If Everyone Cared
Nickelback
Track from: All The Right Reasons Special Edition
[Roadrunner Records]

* Instant Karma
U2
Track from: Instant Karma - The Campaign To Save Darfur
[Warner Bros.]

* Icky Thump
The White Stripes
Track from: Icky Thump

I'm starting to think that U2 could do a remake of Old McDonald Had a Farm and then be up for a Grammy for "Best Interpretation of an Old Song"

well...look at what they're up against. i was pretty sure the grammys would just not take place this year, what with all the garbage i hear on the radio.

though zoots will deli(lah)ghted at the 1st category :angry:

This is cool news. Don't they have like 26 or something already?

And let's not forget Mute Math's nod for the "Typical" video! :wink:

Window in the Skies is the 2nd best U2 song of all time, after "Streets." (Even though Bono's gone so far as to say it might actually be their BEST song :wink: )

Way to go, boys!

Daughtry

ha.

I wish it weren't so easy for U2 to be nominated and celebrated with so many awards. It can't be good for their egos.

I miss the days when U2's getting a Grammy nom actually meant something. It seems like these days they could release anything and it would get an automatic nomination.

U2democrat said:
Am I the only person who wishes I were deaf each time Maroon 5 comes on? Everyone I know loves them and I find them excruciating.

No you're not, they blow like a hurricane.

I think Instant Karma will win and WITS will not...just a guess.

And why does everyone hate Daughtry so much? I mean, he's nothing great but he's better than 3/4 of the shit on mainstream radio these days.

Bono's shades said:
I miss the days when U2's getting a Grammy nom actually meant something. It seems like these days they could release anything and it would get an automatic nomination.

It's funny because that reminds me of back in '91 when The Fly first hit radio, one of the local stations "broke" it and afterword they were commenting on how U2 could release a 60 CD of Bono farting and it would go platinum...

Window in the skies is a great song in my opinion, I hope it wins. But it'd be kind of pointless, because U2 uses the grammy's as a method of pushing a new album. No new album, so therefore they will concoct a plan with the grammy committee to make them lose this year. I believe the grammy's are completely rigged, and U2 has only recently started winning so many are because they bribe their way into it. I mean, Pop won ZERO grammy awards. ATYCLB and HTDAAB both won 7 or 8 grammy's apiece... that's no coincidence.

Danny Boy said:
Has anyone outside of U2's devoted fan base even heard their cover of Instant Karma? I can't recall it getting any radio airplay.

I think I've only heard the live versions...

The_acrobat said:
Window in the skies is a great song in my opinion, I hope it wins. But it'd be kind of pointless, because U2 uses the grammy's as a method of pushing a new album. No new album, so therefore they will concoct a plan with the grammy committee to make them lose this year. I believe the grammy's are completely rigged, and U2 has only recently started winning so many are because they bribe their way into it. I mean, Pop won ZERO grammy awards. ATYCLB and HTDAAB both won 7 or 8 grammy's apiece... that's no coincidence.

Are you serious? Of course it's no coincidence, but the bribery conspiracy theory is a little too far out there. While many diehard U2 fans love Pop, the rest of the world did not receive it very positively, while the last two albums had much more claim. Part of that may have to do with more hype/better marketing, but thatis not the same as paying off the committee. Rigged? No, just very, very reflective of shakey popular opinion and not so much of meaningful thought about the year's music. But is anybody deluded enough to think the Grammy's are the latter?

Varitek said:

Are you serious? Of course it's no coincidence, but the bribery conspiracy theory is a little too far out there. While many diehard U2 fans love Pop, the rest of the world did not receive it very positively, while the last two albums had much more claim. Part of that may have to do with more hype/better marketing, but thatis not the same as paying off the committee. Rigged? No, just very, very reflective of shakey popular opinion and not so much of meaningful thought about the year's music. But is anybody deluded enough to think the Grammy's are the latter?

Lol. That made my night. :lmao:

Bono's shades said:

Uhhh... everyone's entitled to their opinion, but Window in the Skies is a breathtakingly good song. Bono said it might be U2's "best song" ever. (And yes, we all know Bono is prone to hyperbole, but he rarely goes THAT far unless he really means it.)

Back
Top Bottom