To those who say U2 shows no variation in their shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZooMacPhisto800

War Child
I ask you to compare the performance of Lemon from Sydney versus the one from Adelaide (currently available on youtube.com). Everything is different:

1. The sound of the bass
2. Bono's singing pattern

What are the flaws in this post?

Things to think about:

1. Can two performances of a single song really back up the point I'm trying to make?
2. How far apart was the Adelaide date from the Sydney date (did the performance of the song evolve)?
3. Was Lemon an outlier anyway?
4. Did I provide enough evidence to really show that "everything is different"?

That's a good point, but I think that most people mean that the setlists should change a bit more.

hey,last time u2 sang song from each album was 17 years ago.
my point.
maybe there were some shows on vertigo,but full band anything from zooropa hasn't been played since zoo tv tokyo or whatever was the last date

Actually they did Play "STAY" during the Elevation tour. But Zooropa and Pop remain heavily under represented.

An Cath Dubh, Electric Co, etc were nice nods to the first album beginnings

A nod to the 90's this time around in place of some of the workhorse songs would be awesome

Pero said:
hey,last time u2 sang song from each album was 17 years ago.
my point.
maybe there were some shows on vertigo,but full band anything from zooropa hasn't been played since zoo tv tokyo or whatever was the last date

They also played The First Time on Vertigo.

ZooMacPhisto800 said:
2. How far apart was the Adelaide date from the Sydney date (did the performance of the song evolve)?

Adelaide was on 16 November 1993. Sydney was on 27 November 1993. In between the two was the 20 November show in Brisbane and the first night in Sydney on the 26th.

Yes, by variation people mean what songs they play, not how they play them.

I guess they will include songs from the back catalogue that they feel will fit well with the new songs. Since there was the strong feeling that HTDAAB was the 'MAN' album in Boy maybe they thought the songs would fit well together in the same set. Hence the slew of Boy tracks, especially in the early stages of the first leg.

But i think it would be great to see some of the 90s stuff (apart from the standard AB songs) in the set next time around if they can make it work.
But this time we did get Zoo Station , Miss Sarajevo and The First Time.

Bring on Zooropa, DGPFYCC, Lemon, Do you feel loved? and Ultra Violet!!!!!!!!!

didn't you notice, i said full band. not acoustic.
but i must admit it was nice to hear/see first time and who's gonna ride your wild horses

The point about varying the way songs are performed on a single tour is an interesting one. Songs I can think of off the top of my head (I'm sure someone will come along with a bunch more)

Sunday Bloody Sunday on JT tour
ISHFWILF on Zoo tour (full band & acoustic)
Staring at the Sun on Popmart (full band & acoustic)

I do think the main poiint is that they don't vary the setlists enough, but I also think reworking the songs makes them a bit more interesting. Not sure SATS counts, as they dropped it full band because they tended to screw it up, but the other 2 were more of a variation by choice, and they switched between versions throughout the tours.

Back
Top Bottom