The second Heartland appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
I think Promenade's the best song to come before The Unforgettable Fire, but I also can't bring myself to split Promenade --> 4th Of July --> Bad.

Promenade is really something else. That intro!!! :up:

babyman said:
this was never a song....................................................................
this is pure poetry

Bono was at his lyrical best during that era. One Tree Hill, Heartland, Exit ... :drool:

KhanadaRhodes said:

i think he was at his lyrical best for unforgettable fire through pop :wave:

For me, he has had two lyrical peaks, 1984-1989 and then Pop. Achtung Baby does have some sensational lyrics too, but I can't call it a lyrical peak because of ... well, about half the album.

Axver said:
For me, he has had two lyrical peaks, 1984-1989 and then Pop. Achtung Baby does have some sensational lyrics too, but I can't call it a lyrical peak because of ... well, about half the album.
which half? (i will admit, zooropa doesn't exactly have any shining moments as far as the lyrics go.)

Axver said:

You don't like half of the lyrics on Achtung Baby but like all of HTDAAB? :scratch: Sounds like crazy talk to me.

:wink:

Zootlesque said:

You don't like half of the lyrics on Achtung Baby but like all of HTDAAB? :scratch: Sounds like crazy talk to me.

Actually, when I first read the lyrics for HTDAAB, I didn't think they were spectacular at all, besides Crumbs. I now like them more, as happens when I hear music: for example, the opening line of Streets is really not very good, but can you imagine anything else suiting the song better? Similar thing happened for me with HTDAAB's lyrics.

Anyway, here's my assessment of Achtung Baby's lyrics.

Zoo Station - meh. I don't feel strong emotions either way. Made its statement well, though.
EBTTRT - poor.
One - some of it's great, some of it's not.
UTEOTW - ABSOLUTE GENIUS!
WGRYWH - below average.
So Cruel - great.
The Fly - AWESOME!
Mysterious Ways - pretty good.
TTTYAATW - poor!
Ultra Violet - would be good but I just can't get past 'that line'. :wink:
Acrobat - Some of the best damn lyrics EVER! :rockon:
Love Is Blindness - AWESOME!

So for me, AB had its lyrical mountains and valleys. Some of it was genius, but some of it makes me cringe or doesn't inspire me at all.

"Heartland" is a fantastic song.......

if you live in a heartland. Here in the city............just not feeling it. :wink:

Axver said:

Anyway, here's my assessment of Achtung Baby's lyrics.

Zoo Station - meh. I don't feel strong emotions either way. Made its statement well, though.
EBTTRT - poor.
One - some of it's great, some of it's not.
UTEOTW - ABSOLUTE GENIUS!
WGRYWH - below average.
So Cruel - great.
The Fly - AWESOME!
Mysterious Ways - pretty good.
TTTYAATW - poor!
Ultra Violet - would be good but I just can't get past 'that line'. :wink:
Acrobat - Some of the best damn lyrics EVER! :rockon:
Love Is Blindness - AWESOME!

So for me, AB had its lyrical mountains and valleys. Some of it was genius, but some of it makes me cringe or doesn't inspire me at all.

Okaaaayyy............. but it's Achtung Fucking Baby, it was the sound of the future, the new era, the new decade, the sound of the chopping down of the Joshua Tree, the sound of the fall of the Berlin wall, the sound of the trains arriving at Zoologischer Garten, the sound of a rocking-harder-than-ever-with-oodles-of-attitude U2, the sound of.......... you know what I'm talking about.

Zootlesque said:
the sound of the chopping down of the Joshua Tree

:sad: Don't say that!

the sound of a rocking-harder-than-ever-with-oodles-of-attitude U2

One tour, three songs: Lovetown; God Part II, Desire, All Along The Watchtower.

Rocked harder than anything Zoochtungy except Bullet live and MAYBE The Fly.

But you expected all that, didn't you? :wink:

And Zoochtung didn't have HEARTLAND! :drool:

The poor UF era didn't either. Every Heartland-lacking era should feel deep sorrow.

KhanadaRhodes said:

but it's the truth!!

:sad: :sad: :sad:

OK, so there was a point and reinvention and all, but ... couldn't they do that and leave thoughts of chopping the Joshua Tree down alone?

Whatever, Achtung is the greatest!!!!!! alalalalalalallalalalala *with fingers in my ears tightly shut*

Axver said:
And Zoochtung didn't have HEARTLAND! :drool:

The poor UF era didn't either. Every Heartland-lacking era should feel deep sorrow.

My God! You overrate Heartland more than we do the Zoo era. :eeklaugh:

Zootlesque said:
haha, i was thinking the same thing! maybe i'm missing something, but i can't think of any song by any band that i like so much that i would say such a thing.

oh wait, i did just think of one song. :silent:

Zootlesque said:

I wasn't being completely serious, heh.

And I think the point of this thread is exaggeration. At least, it's become the point! :wink:

Also, remember, I am one man in a Heartland against a bloody crowd of people in a Zoo!

Zootlesque said:
no I didn't mean The Who.... I meant it as 'the who???' :crazy:
japan. they were new wave before new wave existed: http://www.nightporter.co.uk :wave:

when i first started at my job, i had to fill out this survey thingie on the off chance they'd pick me as a spotlight employee of the month in our monthly (you'd never have guessed, huh?) newsletter. anyway, they were the usual questions: favourite food, song, book, etc. this crap is always hard for me. it took me 21 years to pick out a favourite colour, much less a song. so in a jam i picked swing by japan. i then realized this is the closest to an all-time favourite song i'd get. i love it.

i still don't have a favourite book though, i've only been able to narrow it down to an author.

Axver said:
Also, remember, I am one man in a Heartland against a bloody crowd of people in a Zoo!
hey, i love heartland. i just like achtung baby better! but i'd pick heartland over one (okay, so that's not saying much, but i do love the song).

Back
Top Bottom