Pop Haters Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pop is a fantastic album. It is a significant period of U2's history. There is no album like Pop out there. And there won't be. By U2 or any other group.

Seconds said:
Imagine any other band singing "Miami My Mammy". Most of you would have bashed the song. But because its U2, it makes it ok.

Not necessarily. If another band did a song like that, and made it sound really cool, I'd still like it. I don't know what it is about "Miami" that makes me like it, but I do :shrug:. It's just weird and out there.

But then again, I'm a weird one-with all of my favorite bands, any song that a lot of people don't care for, I do. Go figure.

Angela

I'm so torn on Miami. On the one hand, you've got the kick ass vibe to it. It's definitely different than what they've done before, and it works so well.

And then you've got the lyrics. Horrid, horrid, horrid, horrid. My mammy? Bono, you're killing me here!

I'd love to have an instrumental version, that still has the background "ba ba bas," and ditches the words.

Wait ... did I just say I wanted to get rid of Bono? ::gasp:: The end is nigh!

:wink:

I quit liked Pop. At the time I was hearing all sorts of nightmare rumors that U2 was going fully dance and triphop other assorted crap. I was about to totally give up on U2 and then Pop came out. I bought it and all was still OK. Yes, there were some dance influences but the core was still solid rock all in good humor. And the Discotheque video is to this day their best. Its hilarious.
The songs did need some serious rearranging to make it to a good live version though. Discotheque, Mofo and Please were so much rearranged they are almost totally new songs and it did took the entire 1st US tour leg to perfect the whole Popmart thingy. But I don't think the album needed more work. Art abandoned is art finished. Nothing wrong with songs that need some rearranging for the big stage. What they needed was more time between the album release and the big tour. To do some promo shows as with ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Get a feel for the songs live, working out the major kinks before the big tour.

hmm i always thought Bono wrote the lyrics from a continuous strain of thought....when you do that the lyrics don't always make sense...but i have heard from people from Miami that the song describes the place perfectly*shrugs*

LJT said:
but i have heard from people from Miami that the song describes the place perfectly*shrugs*

I have one friend that went to Miami in 2002 and is also an U2 fan and he says the same thing. maybe I shall go to Miami to understand the song... :|

That makes sense, and that's cool, but the "my mammy" thing is still horrid. Unless Al Jolson is living in Miami or something.

That line never bothered me, just confused the heck out of me for the longest time. But then I remember somebody giving an interpretation for that line one time that made sense to me. Can't quite remember the exact interpretation right now, though.

The "My mammy" bit never really bothered me, either :shrug:. There's not been many songs, U2-related or not, that I've heard over the years in which I thought the lyrics were just god-awful. If I don't like a song, it's generally 'cause it either got played to death or it was boring or something like that. Lyrics generally never play a part in me liking or not liking a song.

Angela

Not a lot of lyrics bother me, but that one is just so ... so ... I don't know. I have no problem with nonsensical lyrics, or lyrics that are on the lame side, but "Miami ... my mammy ..."

You know, I don't think I'm ever going to be able to explain it. It's a dumb lyric, and it sounds dumb when Bono sings it, too. He should have just left it at "Miami."

I love MIAMI. Does someone have a really good live version of this song? I have a crappy version, but it's still unreal. This song is in my opinion the second best LIVE song from POP, after Please.

is it 7ust me, or are more and more people realizing this album is actually really good?

maybe that's 7ust me, i dunno.

Zoomerang96 said:
is it 7ust me, or are more and more people realizing this album is actually really good?

maybe that's 7ust me, i dunno.

It's not just you... cos it's true! :rockon:

i did not like POP much for 7 years (except MOFO,MIAMI,GONE & TPM) but over the last winter the album became familiar to me. it sounds better now it ever has and DYFL and VELVET DRESS are great songs.

Miami isn't understood by people who look too deeply into songs and don't get ironic humor.

If you hate a song because of a lyric, not the music, you are very sad in my book.

In conclusion, if you don't like Miami, you are an American. Or possibly Slovenian.

Palace_Hero said:
Miami isn't understood by people who look too deeply into songs and don't get ironic humor.

If you hate a song because of a lyric, not the music, you are very sad in my book.

In conclusion, if you don't like Pop, you are an American.

:ohmy: :lol:

Announcement to all Interferencers.

I hereby retract my statement - 'In conclusion, if you don't like Miami, you are an American. Or possibly Slovenian.'

Instead I would like to say, In conclusion, if you don't like Miami, you are possibly an American. Or possibly my Slovenian friend Zlatan.

Last edited:
Palace_Hero said:
Announcement to all Interferencers.

I hereby retract my statement - 'In conclusion, if you don't like Miami, you are an American. Or possibly Slovenian.'

Instead I would like to say, In conclusion, if you don't like Miami, you are possibly an American. Or possibly my Slovenian friend Zlatan.

:up: :rockon:

Bono loves that "God walking into the room" phrase and Pop was the last album where you can really hear what he's talking about, as opposed to it being conjured up to a formula.

When Velvet Dress opens right up with Edge's beautiful guitar, right when Bono is singing the "Sunlight...." lines.

When Mofo pulls it all together for it's biggest punches right at the end, from "Looking for a sound thats gonna drown out the world" on.

When he sings, in Gone, "Goodbye....no emotional GOOOODNIIIIGHT!!" on.

The "listen to" lines in Wake Up Dead Man.

Every song on that album has it. Great, great, great album.

Back
Top Bottom