NLOTH 30 Second Walmart Clips - DISCUSSION THREAD - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't listened to the clips myself(I save myself like a virgin:flirt::lol:) but I guess it is shaping up to be a great record.

I think it's one of them masterpiece album !!!
This is just great !!!
NLOTH one of the best work
Moment of Surrender seems like Passengers, but great one
Magnificent-- great drum work ....& Guitar don talk .. loll
I would Love to hear this live -- I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight.
after 24 sec. guitar is great!( for 30 sec preview)
& with this -- Stand up comedy -- The Edge can do anything what ever he want. this would be great solo guitar work for live !!
FEZ-Being Born --sound like Batman theme !!!
Breathe -- I'll wait for the full song ... No'cmt
Cedars Of Lebanon -- I don think they play this live.... cause I don want to hear If You Wear That Velvet Dress again , loll
that's all folks !!!

wat

:hyper:What a morning to wake up to, i just listen and im thrilled...WOOOW :drool:

Wich one is beach clip nr1?? FeZ being born???:hmm: no i think its unknown caller

Yeah White As Snow is definitely very boring just going by the 30 second clip (the rest of the song could be better) Sounds like one of those songs they forgot about during their TJT days for good reason and then dug it out to have another go at it. Probably will be part of an acoustic set, thus, a good pee-break song, if it even makes it on the tour.

I couldn't stop myself from listening to these clips. What a fantastic collection of music. What surprised me the most is that a lot of the songs are so a-typical of radio music these days except for GOYB which is by far the most commercial song on the record. The other songs are so different then GOYB (which I like very much by the way). Complete surprise: I go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight. What a beauty. "White as snow" is a drinking song for late at night. Perfect. These clips are just teasers but it sounds totally promising:applaud:.

bono actually sound's good on "crazy tonight"

Now just hold on a second there. We all decided we were going to hate that song a month ago when we heard the title. It's too late to change our minds just because we've actually head some of the actual song.
It's a bad title, ergo the song sucks. Who's with me. C'mon now.
You m-f's were lighting torches and storming the castle last month when you heard the song title. Don't let the ACTUAL SONG change your mind.
C'mon be reactionary!! Be stupid!!! Yeah!!!!!!!

Immediate reactions... We haven't heard enought to post actual reviews.

1) No Line: Sounds awesome. Wow. Need to hear the whole song. Achtung Baby!!! Wooooowww!!

2.) Magnificent: sounds like October crossed with UF. Sounds good. Need to hear more.

3.) Haven't heard anything yet. Moody, unremarkable intro. reviews have said it "builds and builds". Won't comment til I've heard it.

4.) Yowza. Birds chirping and Edge singing "sunshine". Sounds good.

5. I'll go crazy. Sounds gorgeous. U2 by numbers in a good way.

6) Boots. Woohoo!!! What a great song.

7.) Stand Up. Sounds boring. Need to hear more. Like the "little old lady" line though.

8.) Fez-Being Born. Sounds like a remix or dance album. Lame. Hoping for more Zooropa.

9.) White as snow. No opinion. Not enough data.

10.) Sounds fucking awesome. "would you??" Frack yes.

11.) Bono as Leornard Cohen. Sounds great. How does it sound stretched over a whole song? Hopefully great.

Overall, I'd say this sounds like U2 meant ATYCLB to sound. It's classic U2mixed with lessons from the AB-Pop era. Awesome.

p.s.- I really LOVE ATYCLB but I don't think it sounded anything like 80's U2. This one does. In the RIGHT way.

Now just hold on a second there. We all decided we were going to hate that song a month ago when we heard the title. It's too late to change our minds just because we've actually head some of the actual song.
It's a bad title, ergo the song sucks. Who's with me. C'mon now.
You m-f's were lighting torches and storming the castle last month when you heard the song title. Don't let the ACTUAL SONG change your mind.
C'mon be reactionary!! Be stupid!!! Yeah!!!!!!!

Actually I think more people are going to hate it on here now because it sounds the most like post-2000 U2, which for some reason has become no-no. I like it a lot though :hyper:

On first listen, nothing really struck me except "Fez-Being born," but then again any judgement based on 30 seconds (especially if you consider the parts we listened to, like "Unknown Caller," which must be the intro?) would be pure madness.

...and there's no way that the album won't leak any day now! :)

amazing sounding albumn!!! some of the songs sound quite differant to the beach clip version. what a tease!!!!

great stuff u2!

OMG - this is the most excited I've been about an album since AB. 2 days booked off work when the album is released. :drool:

The FEZ-Being Born clip sounds awesome.

These clips suggest a definite departure of the last two records. The music is far more adventurous then what U2 have done the last 8 years. Larry is back at the front with some completely amazing drumming. The only song I am not so sure about is Breath.

So...unknown caller - was my original favourite out of the beach clips, so I wanna hear more than just the beginning intro bit lol :wink::wink:
Hope it's still as good as it was then!!! Love it :applaud:

I was pretty disappointed when I heard ATYCLB first (and still am a little bit); I thought HTDAAB was great (still think so), but this is the most promising album to date I heard clips of for the first time. It's just a first impression...

NLOTH is Achtung Baby-style. Magnificent must be fantastic live! White as snow reminds me of Springhill Mining Disaster... Can't wait to hear the whole album!

I'm quite impressed by these clips, I know most reviews said the album was good, but they were pointing to so many different songs in each one I didn't know what to think, now I know, or so I think, the level of the album is high in general and it depends on your personal taste which song gets it with you. I'll have to listen to it when released to get a more definitive opinion, but I feel it could be like with Achtung Baby where I shift my favourites from time to time. I don't really get why so many critics were saying it reminds them of TJT, apart from White As Snow that brings to my mind The Wild Irish Rose, the others are most in the line of Achtung Baby and Zooropa, but without copying it or sounding old. Bono's voice is spectacular, but of course we'll keep complaining about it, now we like the scracthfulness we hated for the last 9 years, well, some things never change.

Is there a song in here that would be a Streets-like thing live? I think Magnificent comes close, although we only heard 30 seconds of the song...

I think No Line (the song) will be fucking great. There's a hint of the guitar kicking in there at the end.

Whoever said Stand Up Comedy sounds like Matchbox 20 was unfortunately bang on. :yuck: The only clip I don't like. At all.

yeah seriously....wtf is up with Bono's voice...I mean it sounds great, better than Bomb, much more clear, and he hits the high notes effortlessly it seems....but there's a thinness to it that I was not expecting at all....it takes away the classic Bono epicness that we're so used to hearing...

He seriously sounds like he has had more dentistry work, he is all lispy :ohmy: His sound changed the first time he had it done, when he sold himself out to the American "Perfect white teeth syndrome" and now it sounds like it again :sad:

If anyone has no idea wtf I am on about look at young Bono's teeth, including irregular gaps in teeth versus nowadays perfect veneered white teeth with no gaps :sad: Major dental work always changes the way you talk/sing

like You can always tell if someone has false teeth fitted, they have problems with their S's, like they are scared if they say S too hard their teeth will fly out :lol:

That said he doesn't have the oomph behind his voice either? But then maybe he has just changed the way he is using it for this LP? :hmm:

Of course all the 30 sec clips could be mis-leading here, but after initial excitement about NLOTH I am after these clips less excited - but still open minded until I have lived with NLOTH for a while. The only exception is Maginicent which sounds fantastic Mike

I won't listen to the clips (with 3 weeks to go), but one thing: is Moment of surrender worth the hype ?

I have an inkling it might be... to me, those 30 seconds feel quite Moby-like with a heavy floaty ambient groove which travels... I love Moby, and I think with some good Bono vocals on those layers it could be something quite special

He seriously sounds like he has had more dentistry work, he is all lispy :ohmy: His sound changed the first time he had it done, when he sold himself out to the American "Perfect white teeth syndrome" and now it sounds like it again :sad:

If anyone has no idea wtf I am on about look at young Bono's teeth, including irregular gaps in teeth versus nowadays perfect veneered white teeth with no gaps :sad: Major dental work always changes the way you talk/sing

like You can always tell if someone has false teeth fitted, they have problems with their S's, like they are scared if they say S too hard their teeth will fly out :lol:

That said he doesn't have the oomph behind his voice either? But then maybe he has just changed the way he is using it for this LP? :hmm:

oh i dunno... i think he's saying "seashells" not "theeshells" lmfao

Reading back the previews it is hard to tell how the whole song will shape up. For instance the 30 sec. clip of NLOTH is the slow part in the middle while the rest of the track is fast and more rock.

FEZ!!! (Sound a bit like Radiohead, doesn't it?)

I didn't like the beach clips or GOYB that much, but these clips got me exited. After two albums filled with boring drums, it is great to hear the drums this time. It sounds like Larry had fun doing this record. Since I'm a 90's guy I can't be to positive, so I have to say that some of the lyrics sound a bit cringeworthy:) But overall, this sounds much better than I expected.

I really need to stop listening, so that I don't wear out the songs before they are released.

too early to say much about the songs
I listened because I really wanted to know what 'the sound' would be like
my conclusion is that Eno & Lanois really should just be considered band members and never ever go again :up:

my conclusion is that Eno & Lanois really should just be considered band members and never ever go again

You are so right. They give U2 just the little bit extra to make an album a classic instead of a good but middle of the road and boring one (not a big fan of HTDAAB).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom