I Listened To No Line On The Horizon Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No Line was the first album that fell victim to U2's album postponements. And, after waiting an extra couple of years, we get Boots as the first single. Oh goodie! :wink: Now, naturally, I listened to the album hundreds of times over the next couple of years, but I haven't really given it a good listen since 2011 or so. It was an album I enjoyed, but have no urgency to revisit.

HTDAAB was the first delayed album and was similar to NLOTH in that they tried to record with a new producer (Thomas/Rubin), then fled into familiar arms (Lilly/E&L). ATYCLB was delayed too, but by Bono's charity work. Pop was delayed be Larry's back. Passengers was really the last time recording flowed smoothly.

I'm listening to it with a different track order and pretending it's an E.P.:

1. Fez
2. NLOTH
3. Breathe
4. Magnificent
5. Cedars
6. Unknown Caller
7. Moment

I just listened to this for the first time since it came out and....ugh

Take a sparse, beautiful song, and bury it noisy, heavy-handed production.. death by tinkering/multitracking

Good thread. Great record. Back when U2 was trying, and much better than either of the records that bookend it (even if it's incredibly uneven).

• Moment of Surrender is U2's best song since Streets.
  • NLOTH (the song) is one of their best of the 00's. The production on that track is extraordinary.
  • Fez-Being Born is lovely. Wonderful hearing something like that from U2.
  • Breathe, Magnificent and yes the undeservedly maligned Boots are solid, but not extraordinary, U2 tracks.
  • Unknown Caller doesn't deserve the hate it gets around here. I like it, even if the lyrics are bit clunky. I think Bono was trying to make a commentary on how ways we interact have changed.
  • White as Snow & Cedars are pleasant, if unremarkable. I don't give either much thought.
  • Crazy and SUC are definitely the weak links are, and the record would have been better of without them.

I agree with those who think MOS should have been the single. Yeah, it's not radio friendly, and a lot of people would not have known what to make of it, but I frankly don't think it would have impacted sales much and I think it would have been offset by getting much more favourable press than Boots.

It's a better, more ambitious record than SOI. It's evolutionary from where U2 was with the previous two records. It was U2 trying to do albeit in a compromised way, what everyone say they want U2 to do. The record is also a reminded that U2 is not the same band without Brian & Danny.

Yes, NLOTH is a compromised record. It wasn't the commercial hit that Bomb was, and it's lacks SOI cohesiveness. It definitely has its low points, but it reaches high and moments of greatness that neither of those records touch.

HTDAAB was the first delayed album and was similar to NLOTH in that they tried to record with a new producer (Thomas/Rubin), then fled into familiar arms (Lilly/E&L). ATYCLB was delayed too, but by Bono's charity work. Pop was delayed be Larry's back. Passengers was really the last time recording flowed smoothly.

Yeah, this is true. They've suffered "delays" since the 90's, but No Line just seemed longer because every few months during 2008, the release would get pushed back.

Good thread. Great record. Back when U2 was trying, and much better than either of the records that bookend it (even if it's incredibly uneven).

• NLOTH (the song) is one of their best of the 00's. The production on that track is extraordinary.
  • Breathe, Magnificent and yes the undeservedly maligned Boots are solid, but not extraordinary, U2 tracks.
  • Unknown Caller doesn't deserve the hate it gets around here. I like it, even if the lyrics are bit clunky. I think Bono was trying to make a commentary on how ways we interact have changed.
  • White as Snow & Cedars are pleasant, if unremarkable. I don't give either much thought.
  • Crazy and SUC are definitely the weak links are, and the record would have been better of without them.

I agree with those who think MOS should have been the single. Yeah, it's not radio friendly, and a lot of people would not have known what to make of it, but I frankly don't think it would have impacted sales much and I think it would have been offset by getting much more favourable press than Boots.

It's a better, more ambitious record than SOI. It's evolutionary from where U2 was with the previous two records. It was U2 trying to do albeit in a compromised way, what everyone say they want U2 to do. The record is also a reminded that U2 is not the same band without Brian & Danny.

Yes, NLOTH is a compromised record. It wasn't the commercial hit that Bomb was, and it's lacks SOI cohesiveness. It definitely has its low points, but it reaches high and moments of greatness that neither of those records touch.
Ehhhh...

Moment of Surrender is a very good song. Their best song since Streets? That's crazy talk.

I prefer the live version of No Line to the studio version, but also agree it's a good song.

I have no issues with your Fez-Being Born comment.

Breathe was a missed opportunity...should have been a better track with a few edits. Agreed that Magnificent is a solid U2 track (nothing more). Boots, however, is dog shit.

Unknown Caller deserves all the hate. It actually deserves more hate than it gets... not because it's their worst song, but because it should have been so much more but is absolutely killed with that horrid chorus. The music is breathtakingly beautiful, the lyrics in the verses are actually pretty good as well... and then the chorus comes in and ruins the whole thing. Probably the most frustrating song U2 have ever written. Just a complete missed opportunity at something truly great.

I actually think Cedars and White As Snow are great album tracks. Nothing remarkable, but could have helped piece together the album and keep it flowing (if not for the shoehorning or the middle three into the album in a failed search for hits).

In hindsight this album was a victim of the planned tour. After two late career smash hit albums they had every right to sink back and do something more subtle, more experimental and more etherial. They also had every right to cash in on a huge stadium tour after two mostly arena tours for highly successful albums. They tried to thread the needle and do both, and this is where the album fell apart. I have to think the inclusion of the middle three and the (Lilly)whitewashing of the album as a whole was to try and make the album more "stadium ready."

Probably the most frustrating song U2 have ever written. Just a complete missed opportunity at something truly great.

That's how I felt about Last Night On Earth.

Well, maybe not something "truly great" but . . . .

Dreadful chorus (If one can call it that), but the rest of the song was pretty cool.

That's how I felt about Last Night On Earth.

Well, maybe not something "truly great" but . . . .

Dreadful chorus (If one can call it that), but the rest of the song was pretty cool.

Woah woah woah, the chorus of Last Night On Earth is good, the interplay between Bono and Edge's vocals are great. Even though the lyrics are simple it's still a good chorus. The live version is a lot better tho

Ehhhh...

Moment of Surrender is a very good song. Their best song since Streets? That's crazy talk.

I prefer the live version of No Line to the studio version, but also agree it's a good song.

I have no issues with your Fez-Being Born comment.

Breathe was a missed opportunity...should have been a better track with a few edits. Agreed that Magnificent is a solid U2 track (nothing more). Boots, however, is dog shit.

Unknown Caller deserves all the hate. It actually deserves more hate than it gets... not because it's their worst song, but because it should have been so much more but is absolutely killed with that horrid chorus. The music is breathtakingly beautiful, the lyrics in the verses are actually pretty good as well... and then the chorus comes in and ruins the whole thing. Probably the most frustrating song U2 have ever written. Just a complete missed opportunity at something truly great.

I actually think Cedars and White As Snow are great album tracks. Nothing remarkable, but could have helped piece together the album and keep it flowing (if not for the shoehorning or the middle three into the album in a failed search for hits).

In hindsight this album was a victim of the planned tour. After two late career smash hit albums they had every right to sink back and do something more subtle, more experimental and more etherial. They also had every right to cash in on a huge stadium tour after two mostly arena tours for highly successful albums. They tried to thread the needle and do both, and this is where the album fell apart. I have to think the inclusion of the middle three and the (Lilly)whitewashing of the album as a whole was to try and make the album more "stadium ready."

Great fucking post. Especially that last paragraph. I couldn't put my finger on it but you nailed it.

Overall I love the album. The usual 3 suspects deserve the shit they get. But I love everything else. (MOS is overrated here). In fact the first few times I listened to Boots was the only time since 1994 that I'd questioned whether my interest in U2 had died.

I am gonna listen to this tonight! It's been at least 5 years since I've listened to this album all the way through. I actually have put "Soon" at #1, and placed the Linear version of "Winter" towards the end, between Breathe and Cedars. It fits in well there, and kind of toughens up the 2nd half a little bit. I have good memories of listening to this album back in March of 2009.

It was an album I didn't really share with anybody... my other friends who are U2 fans didn't seem to connect with it. I experienced it pretty much on my own, during somewhat of a transitional phase in my life. I was 27, had just recently gotten married & bought a house, and was starting to grow out of the social, partying phase of my life, but hadn't quite arrived at what was next yet.

No Line suffers from that dreaded mid section - Unknown Caller, I'll Go Crazy, Boots and to a lesser extent Stand Up Comedy.

The album starts and ends with songs that are bit more experimental and different from the ATYCLB & HTDAAB blueprint. Before the album was released they kept talking about it being experimental and a departure in the vein of Achtung Baby.

Unfortunately, that need to create a Vertigo/Elevation/Beautiful Day type radio hit resulted in that awful run of songs in the middle.

No Line has some great songs, but also includes one or two of the worst songs U2 have put on an album, IMO.

Boots is the main culprit, followed by Crazy & Unknown Caller. Stand Up Comedy isn't quite so bad, but is still part of the weak mid section.

On the good side, the rest of the songs are good/excellent, with these standouts:

- Magnificent
- Breathe
- White As Snow

Boots is the main culprit, followed by Crazy & Unknown Caller. Stand Up Comedy isn't quite so bad, but is still part of the weak mid section.

To each his/her own.

Stand Up Comedy is the only song on the album I don't care for.

Breathe is my favorite.

To each his/her own.

Stand Up Comedy is the only song on the album I don't care for.

Breathe is my favorite.

All my opinion ofcourse, but to include Boots and then release it as the lead single was bizarre.

I listened to MOS that other day and boy what a great song, it's just a gem!

No Line suffers from that dreaded mid section - Unknown Caller, I'll Go Crazy, Boots and to a lesser extent Stand Up Comedy.

The album starts and ends with songs that are bit more experimental and different from the ATYCLB & HTDAAB blueprint. Before the album was released they kept talking about it being experimental and a departure in the vein of Achtung Baby.

Unfortunately, that need to create a Vertigo/Elevation/Beautiful Day type radio hit resulted in that awful run of songs in the middle.

No Line has some great songs, but also includes one or two of the worst songs U2 have put on an album, IMO.

On the good side, the rest of the songs are good/excellent, with these standouts:

- Magnificent
- Breathe
- White As Snow

That’s an interesting take. I think SUC is probably the closest thing the forum can get to a consensus on anything. I would say close to 97% say it’s U2’s worst or close to, then there’s 2% that will call it bearable, and the outliers that actually like it. These folks we’re still wondering if they have a critical bone in their body, the results haven’t come back yet.

UC is a good song that was turned bad due to lyrics. How could Eno, Lanois, Edge, and whoever else sang on that chant think those lyrics were good? This song out of ALL songs that may have that, “how did the others let this lyric fly” question about it, is hands down the worst offender because they all chimed in on it!!!

Boots is a good song that suffers from a weird lyric. Boots actually could have fit well on this album if it had a better lyric and wasn’t surrounded by its neighbors. That pre-chorus works well in that sound that lead up to the album.

Crazy is a good song, that would have fit better on another album, and could have used a better vocal take.

I still really like this album and am definitely an outlier on liking Stand Up Comedy. I think the opening track is near unlistenable, and I really love the closing track.

No Line On The Horizon has to be the most divise U2 album. Most seem to agree that it has at least a few gems, yet I also often hear about the middle consisting of some of their worst songs.

I think the album is flawed. I've never liked the lyrics to Breathe, but I still think it is a good song musically. I can agree that Crazy Tonight could have used another vocal take, but I still think it is a fun song. Get On Your Boots shouldn't have been the lead single, but it gets way too much hate. Finally, I've always found Cedars of Lebanon and (to a lesser extent) White as Snow to be somewhat forgettable. I rarely play either when I'm not listening to the album. Yet, I never skip them, as I still like them.

I don't dislike any U2 songs. No Line is one of my lesser favorite U2 albums, yet I still enjoy it quite a bit. I love the first four songs, along with Fez. The middle songs are fun to listen to. The last three songs aren't particularily interesting to me, but I still enjoy them. Overall, it's a good album where U2 tried something different. It didn't work as well as it did in the '90s, but we still got some good stuff out of it.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

I agree with a good portion of this. One of the more reasonable posts I've read about the album. Your criticisms were insightful.

I wanted to touch on the rest of the songs a bit. I kind of skimmed over a few.

NLOTH is a great opener. A really nice rock song. Not amazing, but I like it a lot.

Magnificent is very catchy and I love it. Probably the second best song on the album.

Moment of Surrender is probably my favorite song on NLOTH. I love when U2 makes long songs. The song is just excellent from start to finish.

I love Unknown Caller as well. It's an interesting and cool sounding song. I love Edge's guitar in this.

Stand Up Comedy is a good stadium rocker. It's not amazing, but it's a good song to get you pumped.

Fez is awesome. I wish they would make more songs like this. It's ambient and I love it. Very unique.

Ok, now I've touched on all of them. ?

I'm a big fan of this album. It was very close to being extraordinary, but a few poor lyrical choices and the omission of some great songs sank the album.

NLOTH, Magnificent, Moment of Surrender give a fantastic 1-3. I love the atmosphere and tone that was set from this opening. Any one of these songs would have been a much better lead single than Boots.

Unknown Caller: I absolutely love the music and about 75% of the lyrics, but the lyrical side(force quit, move to trash ugh) of the chanting "chorus" is not good. They definitely should have stuck with the lyrics in the making of and this song could be a complete gem.

Crazy Tonight: I still enjoy this song. It definitely could have used an alternate vocal take, but I don't think the version we got is nearly as offensive as people here make it out to be. Call me crazy (pun intended) but I always thought that this song could be a good concert opener. The album version that is. I did really enjoy the remix on 360 though.

Get on Your Boots: Really doesn't deserve the shit its given around here. There is a lot of interesting things going on in the song and it absolutely rocked live (see the version below). I think the opinion of this song would be much higher if it hadn't been the lead single, let alone any single at all.

Stand Up Comedy: This song suffers lyrically. "Come all ye people, stand up for your love?" Really? "Soul rock ye people, on and on." Ugh Bono. It's a real shame, because musically this song is really cool and has some awesome stuff going on the 2nd half of the song in particular. It also contains one of the best bridge sections in 2000's U2 for sure.

Fez/Being Born: Awesome song. I would have loved to hear this live.

White As Snow: Garbage. I can never get past the "Oh Come, Oh Come Emmanuel" melody. Saying it is boring would be too kind.

Breathe: Awesome song--should have been a contender for the 1st single. I should have never opened 360, however. It would have been much better opening an encore.

Cedars: I'm kind of "meh" on this song, but it does function well as an album closer.

Without changing the album too much, I believe this could have been classic:
1. Soon
2. No Line On The Horizon
3. Magnificent
4. Moment of Surrender
5. Unknown Caller (retain the original lyrics for the "chanting" section)
6. Crazy Tonight
7. Get On Your Boots
8. Stand Up (Complete lyrical rewrite or drop the song all together)
9. Winter (Linear version or Brothers version)
10. Fez/Being Born
11. Breathe
12. Cedars of Lebanon

Awesome version of Boots:

I'm a big fan of this album. It was very close to being extraordinary, but a few poor lyrical choices and the omission of some great songs sank the album.

If the album was very close to being extraordinary then just a few poor lyrical choices and the omission of some great songs wouldn't have 'sunk' it.

I've said it before but NLOTH is the only album that did nothing for them. You could remove it from their discography and it wouldn't matter a jot.

Yes, lyrical issues and putting a couple inferior songs onto the album in place of superior songs such as Soon and Winter can definitely be the difference between ordinary and extraordinary. It's just silly to think otherwise. Do you think Beautiful Day would have been received the same if it kept the original lyrics (Always)? Or that Native Son would have been as massive as Vertigo?

And yes, it definitely did add to their discography. Moment of Surrender is a masterpiece while songs like NLOTH, Magnificent, and Breathe are all top notch.
If the album was very close to being extraordinary then just a few poor lyrical choices and the omission of some great songs wouldn't have 'sunk' it.

I've said it before but NLOTH is the only album that did nothing for them. You could remove it from their discography and it wouldn't matter a jot.

Last edited:
I think everyone has touched on my criticisms of the record, it's the middle 3 that really kill it. However, I was at peak U2 fandom when NLOTH came out, so I listened to it like crazy. I don't hate the album and it's got some pretty good songs on it.

The album art (which I like a lot) suggests a very different album though, something more in the ambient vein. Also, a massive stadium tour seemed a little at odds with this album iMO. I'm personally not a fan of stadium gigs in general and while I had fun at the 360 show I went to, I would've preferred an arena. A club show would be a dream, but those days are long gone for U2.

From what I've read and seen the 2011 gigs were pretty good, although it became an Achtung Baby 20th anniversary show at that point, but I love that album, so I wouldn't be complaining. Though it saddens me that Fez: Being Born or Cedars of Lebanon never were played and most likely never will be.

Winter and Soon are sublime though. If they had fully embraced the Soon/Fez: Being Born sound, well, now that would be something.

Last edited:
Um... I really like Unknown Caller.
I hate American Soul's lyrics. Yet I have no issue with Unknown Caller.
I was flabbergasted when I first heard them, but then saw them through that narrative of the car crash, trapped in your car looking at your life and all you've got nearby is your phone, which you start talking to etc etc.
Ok it's weird, clunky etc. But I like it. The chanting sounds awesome. The guitar is for me an Edge-post-Zooropa highlight. The live version is epic.

And Being Born is in my top 5 of 2000s U2. As is Moment of Surrender.

Yes, lyrical issues and putting a couple inferior songs onto the album in place of superior songs such as Soon and Winter can definitely be the difference between ordinary and extraordinary. It's just silly to think otherwise.

No, it's not silly to think otherwise as there wasn't enough quality on the album in the first place to elevate it into the realms of the extraordinary with the addition of the two songs you mention.

And yes, it definitely did add to their discography. Moment of Surrender is a masterpiece while songs like NLOTH, Magnificent, and Breathe are all top notch.

I'd argue that it made little difference to their overall oeuvre. Your follow up comment hints at an irritation of mine when people indulge in hyperbole with the adjectives they use. Moment of Surrender, whilst a very good song, is not a masterpiece. If it was indeed a masterpiece there would be near universal acceptance of that.

Um... I really like Unknown Caller.
I hate American Soul's lyrics. Yet I have no issue with Unknown Caller.
I was flabbergasted when I first heard them, but then saw them through that narrative of the car crash, trapped in your car looking at your life and all you've got nearby is your phone, which you start talking to etc etc.

One reviewer summed up the song nicely for me in two words: Didactic Spam

Back
Top Bottom