New U2 Album in 2012?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bet there are good pastries in those meetings.

how else to explain this?

bono210.jpg

i smoked hash with McGuinness once, afterwards we had a lot of food (and beverages). Then we went to a private VIP party and he got very friendly with some of the strippers. McGuinness + hash + buffet + booze + strippers = Dracula's Castle

I think U2 are going to try to manage the impossible. Make a great record that is;

A- a HUGE seller with lots of hits that appeals to the kids and the adults
B- a great artistic acheivement that oozes relevance for the critics and hipsters
C- something that both pushes new boundaries, but is still true to the legacy of U2.

And to be honest, I think they just might be able to pull it off. It'll take not only a great album with a great producer, but also a marketing genius. It's difficult, but it is possible to market a band of 50 somethings to teenagers... just need that right angle. That's for somebody better paid than myself to figure out.

I'm pushing 50, the only album I recall coming close to A, B and C is Thriller -- and I'm not sure it had much of C in it.

Pulling off the "50 somethings to teenagers" trick will likely require two songs as background for Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 4 in 18 months or so IMO.

I'm pushing 50, the only album I recall coming close to A, B and C is Thriller -- and I'm not sure it had much of C in it.

Pulling off the "50 somethings to teenagers" trick will likely require two songs as background for Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 4 in 18 months or so IMO.

Err... that's why you're pushing 50! I kid. But really, I don't think that's the best idea there...

Agreed, but Bowie's artistic peak was in the 70s and his 90s work wouldn't fulfill the criteria that Acrobat laid out.

I'm not saying that U2 couldn't still put out "amazing work." I think they just need to leave the teeny bopper demographic to the Gaga's of the world and write some music that speaks to themselves.

Agreed, but Bowie's artistic peak was in the 70s and his 90s work wouldn't fulfill the criteria that Acrobat laid out.

I'm not saying that U2 couldn't still put out "amazing work." I think they just need to leave the teeny bopper demographic to the Gaga's of the world and write some music that speaks to themselves.

Sure, but it's a similar gap of time.

Funny that Eno worked with both.

Bowie was doing amazing work in the 1990s.

Yeah, but he only made that amazing work once he stopped giving a shit about what anyone thought. U2 would never do anything as out-there as Outside, and I think that's easily his best album since the 70s, and better than a few he put out during that run.

U2 need to stop caring and do exactly what they want, and then they could have a record that is a hits, sells well, and is respected. It's unlikely it would happen then simply because of their age. Old bands don't have hits.

As an aside, Bowie's run from 72-80 was the greatest stretch of music made since Mozart's last years.

Yeah, but he only made that amazing work once he stopped giving a shit about what anyone thought. U2 would never do anything as out-there as Outside, and I think that's easily his best album since the 70s, and better than a few he put out during that run.

U2 need to stop caring and do exactly what they want, and then they could have a record that is a hits, sells well, and is respected. It's unlikely it would happen then simply because of their age. Old bands don't have hits.

As an aside, Bowie's run from 72-80 was the greatest stretch of music made since Mozart's last years.

I don't think Bowie cared any less about what people thought when he made Outside, or Earthling, than he did when he made Tin Machine 2. He just hit the creative motherload. Also, I think Eno really is the common factor. He knows how to make artists start again. The best thing that ever happened to our boys was getting adopted by Uncle Brian!

ETA: Also, I think Bowie was ALWAYS more out there than U2, on his good albums and less good.

Does anyone know if they're actually in a studio somewhere, the four of them? Or is Bono still touring Africa?

nielsgov said:
Does anyone know if they're actually in a studio somewhere, the four of them? Or is Bono still touring Africa?

They are in my basement setting up their gear as we speak. They have two months and then all their bank accounts are emptied into an off shore account that will be distributed to active interference members. If they record an album worthy of release before that timeline they get to keep their money.

"Worthy of release" will be determined by certain interference members. Stayed tuned for further notice to see how and if you'll be chosen for this process.

The office of BVS

I hope their postcounts won't be too high, otherwise they'll make all the wrong decisions.

They are in my basement setting up their gear as we speak. They have two months and then all their bank accounts are emptied into an off shore account that will be distributed to active interference members. If they record an album worthy of release before that timeline they get to keep their money.

"Worthy of release" will be determined by certain interference members. Stayed tuned for further notice to see how and if you'll be chosen for this process.

The office of BVS

This would be amazing

Back
Top Bottom