MERGED-->BONO in DC talk + Brilliant Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So my wife and I went to the ASAE talk last night. We found Bono very honest and the speech lived up to our expectations. However, we were disappointed by the evening, as I'd say about 10-20% of the people there were simply U2 fans wanting a glimpse of him. Despite the "No cameras" policy, these people spent the entire hour clicking away. 2 couples right infront of us kept taking pics and then comparing them with each other. They obviously didnt care at all about what he was talking about. Sure, cameras at a rock concert might be ok - but this was in a ballroom - flashes going off left and right ruined the mood and annoyed a lot of people who were trying to focus on his message. I found it disrespectful to Bono and to the people who were there because they care about the issues he was discussing. It would have been one thing to grab a few shots right at the start (during the standing O's) or at the end - but that they did it through the entire speech was just ludicrous. I suspect, from reading previous posts on this event, that many interferencers were doing this. Congratulations on acting like complete idiots and disrespecting the entire event.

jcarroll28 said:
So my wife and I went to the ASAE talk last night. We found Bono very honest and the speech lived up to our expectations. However, we were disappointed by the evening, as I'd say about 10-20% of the people there were simply U2 fans wanting a glimpse of him. Despite the "No cameras" policy, these people spent the entire hour clicking away. 2 couples right infront of us kept taking pics and then comparing them with each other. They obviously didnt care at all about what he was talking about. Sure, cameras at a rock concert might be ok - but this was in a ballroom - flashes going off left and right ruined the mood and annoyed a lot of people who were trying to focus on his message. I found it disrespectful to Bono and to the people who were there because they care about the issues he was discussing. It would have been one thing to grab a few shots right at the start (during the standing O's) or at the end - but that they did it through the entire speech was just ludicrous. I suspect, from reading previous posts on this event, that many interferencers were doing this. Congratulations on acting like complete idiots and disrespecting the entire event.

I'm sorry, but who the hell do you think you are to come in here and accuse people on this forum of ruining this event? I agree that people shouldn't be taking pictures throughout his entire speech, but for you to automatically assume that those people were interferencers is rude and outright stupid. Congratulations on making yourself look like a jackass! :happy:

jcarroll28 said:
So my wife and I went to the ASAE talk last night. We found Bono very honest and the speech lived up to our expectations. However, we were disappointed by the evening, as I'd say about 10-20% of the people there were simply U2 fans wanting a glimpse of him.

I listened to every word he said, and took 3-4 photos. Some of us can multitask. I was put off a bit by the large number of stuffy,humorless, "Jack Abramoff" -type lobbyists in attendance.

JCOSTER said:
Me thinks the president was at a loss for words. He sounded like he was stumbling over his words. And he is telling Bono that Americans have generosity and kindness. That is not going to feed people and give the medical supplie. Bono looked smarter, more refined and more educated. Bono you:rockon:

I'm glad I watched this...it's hard to keep up with all the Bono stuff lately. It was a great speech...maybe the best I've seen. His sincerity is what grabbed me the most—I really got the sense that he was trying to make the most of a moment. I also love how he uses humour as way to lighten the load of his very tough message. On some level, I think he’s being used by the Bushites, as a kind of symbolic proof that the administration is actually listening to the concerns of the world’s poor. It’s an interesting relationship--Bono is endearing himself with his charms, but at the same time, he’s showing that he’s nobody’s fool with some pretty direct comments about how the US must do more to help the cause.

onebloodonelife said:

I'm sorry, but who the hell do you think you are to come in here and accuse people on this forum of ruining this event? I agree that people shouldn't be taking pictures throughout his entire speech, but for you to automatically assume that those people were interferencers is rude and outright stupid. Congratulations on making yourself look like a jackass! :happy:

Well, congrats on being illiterate. If you would have read my post, you'd see the place where I said "I suspect from reading previous posts..." Read the threads, you'll see a bunch of people yapping about how they just want a picture of him up close, blah blah blah. So I'm not accusing anyone - rather, I based my presumption (that many of the people taking pics throughout the whole speech were probably on the forum) on evidence from previous posts.

jcarroll28 said:

Well, congrats on being illiterate. If you would have read my post, you'd see the place where I said "I suspect from reading previous posts..." Read the threads, you'll see a bunch of people yapping about how they just want a picture of him up close, blah blah blah. So I'm not accusing anyone - rather, I based my presumption (that many of the people taking pics throughout the whole speech were probably on the forum) on evidence from previous posts.

Just because people say that they would like a picture of him up close doesn't mean that they were the ones taking pictures during his speech! All I'm saying is that you shouldn't come on here and assume that people on this forum are the ones taking pictures...and you have no evidence for it, regardless of what people say. Did any of them say that they were at the speech and taking pictures? No, that's what I thought jackass. :happy:

Have you read the "WOOHOO!!! I am gonna see Bono!!" thread? Its pathetic. Just as pathetic as the people taking pictures during the speech. Thats the fact. And yes, there is more than one person rambling on about all the great pics they got. Congrats to them. Sell them on ebay and put the proceeds to the AWF or something.

Signed-
The Jackass

Re: Brilliant Bono

4U2Play said:
If you ever get a chance to spare 22 minutes of your busy life, take a look at Bono's brilliant speech at the Washington, DC prayer breakfast the other day:

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2006/02/02/bono.speaks.cnn&wm=10

The video starts with a 30-second ad, followed by Bono's talk.

Makes me prouder than ever to be a fan of such a meaningful, inspirational band.

Great speach indeed. What I did find a bit strange though was the fact that Bono got the religion of his parents mixed-up. He states that his Dad was Protestant and his Mum Catholic (2:27 into the speach).

It's the other way round isn't it? :huh:

Back
Top Bottom