The Temple Bar....New Album News Right Here!! Let's overanalyze!!........UYMFA!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:yes: As overplayed as NYD is, I always get a kick out of watching him switch between piano and guitar live :up:

Me too. It's funny, of all the "warhorses", NYD is the one that still stands up best for me, even more than Streets at this point. NYD never needs fancy lights or projected images...they just dim the lights, and they go, and it's pretty epic, at least to me. And the guitar right out of the piano is pretty powerful. Big fan.

Me too. It's funny, of all the "warhorses", NYD is the one that still stands up best for me, even more than Streets at this point. NYD never needs fancy lights or projected images...they just dim the lights, and they go, and it's pretty epic, at least to me. And the guitar right out of the piano is pretty powerful. Big fan.

Me too. :up: The warhorses, as you call them, other than NYD and I Will Follow, I wouldn't care if they never play them again. Even Streets. Oh yes, I went there.

Feel better Amy! I think I'm succeeding in fighting mine off, fortunately.

Oh, Sarah just put Nightmare Before Christmas on...a good reason to loaf on the couch for another 90 minutes. :drool:

Me too. :up: The warhorses, as you call them, other than NYD and I Will Follow, I wouldn't care if they never play them again. Even Streets. Oh yes, I went there.

Feel better Amy! I think I'm succeeding in fighting mine off, fortunately.

I think that Streets would mean more to me if they played it only sporadically. Then again, they do that with Bad, and it's awesome, but I want to hear Bad more often. Sigh, no U2 fan is ever satisfied. :)

Warhorses I never want to hear again. Ever:

Bullet
One
Sunday Bloody Sunday (unless they remember how to play it with passion)
Pride (unless they remember that Edge's guitar solo has two parts, not the one)

But, I understand that they need to play all of the above.

But, I understand that they need to play all of the above.

Yeah, SBS, Bullet and One, I'm over. And it's not really even their fault. It's just that those songs have been so-ooo overplayed on radio around here for decades now that I can barely listen to them. Pride I've always loved though, and that's never gotten old for me. I wish Bono could sing it in the same key as the studio recording, though.

But yes, I'm like you. They pretty much have to play these, and I don't mind it that much. Hard core fans make up a small percentage of each audience, and it's not like they create their setlist just to satisfy me. I get that, unlike many around here.

Yeah, SBS, Bullet and One, I'm over. And it's not really even their fault. It's just that those songs have been so-ooo overplayed on radio around here for decades now that I can barely listen to them. Pride I've always loved though, and that's never gotten old for me. I wish Bono could sing it in the same key as the studio recording, though.

But yes, I'm like you. They pretty much have to play these, and I don't mind it that much. Hard core fans make up a small percentage of each audience, and it's not like they create their setlist just to satisfy me. I get that, unlike many around here.

Elfa, agreed that he cannot do WOWY like he used to, but I still love that song.

VP, I actually liked Pride this last tour more than I have in ages. The studio version, though, I revere it. I think it's almost quintessential U2 and Edge's guitar on that song is just radiant. That song sort of helped me turn the corner as teenaged U2 appreciator to teenaged U2 addict.

Elfa, agreed that he cannot do WOWY like he used to, but I still love that song.

VP, I actually liked Pride this last tour more than I have in ages. The studio version, though, I revere it. I think it's almost quintessential U2 and Edge's guitar on that song is just radiant. That song sort of helped me turn the corner as teenaged U2 appreciator to teenaged U2 addict.

Yeah, I've heard Pride approximately eleventy billion times over the years, and to this day it still gives me chills. I love that one UF documentary where Bono's doing Pride in the studio, singing his heart out, and Lanois (I think it's him? Been a while since I've seen it) jokingly tells him to sing it with more passion.

elfa, how many of the Toronto shows did you go to last tour?

VP, I love that clip too, not sure if it's Eno or Lanois, I'm old and forget things.

Despite completely understanding why they have to play "the hits", I still hold out hope that they'll play ASOH. Hell, they played An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart (which brought me much much MUCH joy), so why not ASOH? :drool:

the first two... I'm happy I got to see the Zoo Tv Encore but sad I missed thre Popmart version :(

Fast Cars for the first time was sweet though, I think I was the only one around me that knew the words :lol:

Oh, I know! I had seats for the first show (wasn't sure when I'd be getting into town, which as it turned out, wasn't till that afternoon, so it worked out...) and no one in our section knew Fast Cars!

Drea and Sarah and I heard them rehearsing Discotheque (and a very rough version of Mofo) the day between the first and second show. I PMed Axver from a net cafe to tell him, and when I got home from my U2 journey, I saw a whole thread of people saying "that's BS! They won't play it!" I felt very vindicated when they did. Thanks, U2!

I sort of had the setlist parties in mind when I typed that. :shifty:

And, I know how annoying it is to go see a band I'm a casual fan of, and not have them play one of their hits that I love. I like how maturity lends itself to empathy. :)
i figured as much. :) while i could understand the bitching because we got to hear practically every show, it was as if we all saw hundreds of shows. so it did get old to hear pride and one every damn night. and i'll admit, i did whine when last night's show was similar to tonight's. buuuuuuuuuuuuuut especially now that it's been a couple years since the tour wrapped, it puts it in perspective. 1. i got to hear pretty much the whole tour for free. 2. just because they played one at every show and this show and that show had similar/same setlists, it doesn't mean anything because 99% of the audience hadn't seen that other show.

and yes, i agree. even bands i love, if i don't hear that one song (obviously nothing rare, i'd never see U2 and get hyped up about acrobat, for example) i get bummed. so i do try to remember streets, one, pride, bullet...those are all someone's one song. and 500 people being happy the song was played > me wanting a rarer song.

VP, I love that clip too, not sure if it's Eno or Lanois, I'm old and forget things.

Despite completely understanding why they have to play "the hits", I still hold out hope that they'll play ASOH. Hell, they played An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart (which brought me much much MUCH joy), so why not ASOH? :drool:

Well, with the comparisons of this album to TUF, maybe they'll revisit that material this tour? That would be awesome.

i figured as much. :) while i could understand the bitching because we got to hear practically every show, it was as if we all saw hundreds of shows. so it did get old to hear pride and one every damn night. and i'll admit, i did whine when last night's show was similar to tonight's. buuuuuuuuuuuuuut especially now that it's been a couple years since the tour wrapped, it puts it in perspective. 1. i got to hear pretty much the whole tour for free. 2. just because they played one at every show and this show and that show had similar/same setlists, it doesn't mean anything because 99% of the audience hadn't seen that other show.

and yes, i agree. even bands i love, if i don't hear that one song (obviously nothing rare, i'd never see U2 and get hyped up about acrobat, for example) i get bummed. so i do try to remember streets, one, pride, bullet...those are all someone's one song. and 500 people being happy the song was played > me wanting a rarer song.

Exactly. It used to irk me reading along with the setlists, and having people who weren't even there bitching! And people who went to multiple shows. With U2, you know what you're going to get. If it bugs you that much, go to fewer shows! It's really not that hard, people.

Although I went to a run of shows that had a lot of variety - Discotheque debuted, and so did The First Time and Fast Cars...and they played Walk On, Wild Horses...MLK in Detroit for Rosa Parks...Original of the Species...and probably more I'm forgetting.

Exactly. It used to irk me reading along with the setlists, and having people who weren't even there bitching! And people who went to multiple shows. With U2, you know what you're going to get. If it bugs you that much, go to fewer shows! It's really not that hard, people.

Although I went to a run of shows that had a lot of variety - Discotheque debuted, and so did The First Time and Fast Cars...and they played Walk On, Wild Horses...MLK in Detroit for Rosa Parks...Original of the Species...and probably more I'm forgetting.
yeah, i felt like i had at least a little of an excuse since i only saw one show - and a (to me, anyway) crappy show at that. :wink: but those who saw multiple shows should just be glad they had the chance to do this, and even those like me who saw one should be happy since there were fans who missed out. even though i didn't love my show's setlist, i still had a good time.

ooh, awesome! sounds like you picked the right shows to see. :up:

I went to a ton of shows, and spent a ton of time in the set list threads (Aww, VP, our friendship was born there!) and do not recall truly bitching once. Fucking annoying. In fact, the bitching drove me away from the set list parties at one point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom