The 'Star Wars' Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't believe I'm arriving to this thread so late. I saw the original Star Wars in the theatre when I was 5, and I enjoy all 6 films immensely. Personally I feel Jedi is far more of an abomination than Phantom Menace, because to me only the Vader/Luke/Emperor scenes are worth a damn. Despite a great space battle, the whole Death Star thing is unoriginal, the Ewoks are a good idea gone Muppet (should have been Wookies), and the Jabba the Hutt scenes (starring an overweight and uninterested Harrison Ford, and a drugged-out Carrie Fisher) were ruined by the musical number, which may be the most awful thing in any of the films, and the terrible handling of Boba Fett's death. Mark Hamill and Ian McDiarmid are the only people who save this film from oblivion.

The Phantom Menace, while marred by the presence of Jar Jar throughout most of the film, at least has the decency to spread its great moments throughout its entire length. The aliens at the beginning are terrible, but Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan kicking all kinds of ass sure isn't. The underwater city and submarine chase are breathtaking work of art direction and animation. Tattooine has a couple great CGI characters in Watto and Sebulba, and if you don't find the pod race exciting filmmaking, I don't know what to tell you. As bad as some of Jake Lloyd's line readings are, he has a couple of nice moments, especially when he approaches Amidala on the Royal Ship and offers her the pendant he made for her. It's a beautifully written and performed little scene.
The action at the end of the film attempts to juggle too many storylines at once (4, to be exact), but the lightsabre fight may be the best of the saga, for the acrobatics and the emotional push that McGregor gives it once he's separated from Qui-Gon. The funeral scene at the end is note perfect.

Can't speak for the audiences other people saw it with, but on Opening Day, there was applause throughout the ENTIRE film, including the end. Film doesn't make amost $450 million dollars and become the #2 grosser of all time in the U.S. unless a lot of people liked it and went multiple times.

Anyway, rant over. Here's how I'd rank the films, for the record:

1. Empire
2. New Hope
3. Sith (this is very close to tying with #2)
4. Clones
5. Menace
6. Jedi

So I had already written a long anti-ROTJ post in this thread?

I stand by my statements.

So how about that Obi-Wan/Jango Fett duel in the rain?

How about a duel ranking for the entire saga? I guess criteria would have to include not just "cool moves" but emotional weight as well. Here's what I'd go with (and this is going to be long, I'm warning you all):

1. Luke vs. Vader (Empire)

Unlike A New Hope, we really get to see what Vader is capable of here. While Luke isn't as skilled as he is in Jedi, he still gets a couple defensive escapes and a shoulder hit on Vader as well. There's something about the cinematography, and the way the action moves from the orange & blue carbon-freezing chamber to the hallways to the vast, grey metal chasm that I find so visually striking. When Vader starts force-throwing all that shit at Luke and he finally gets sucked through the window it's a "Holy shit!" moment. Of course this fight ends with a noteworthy limb-severing and the greatest reveal/twist in movie history. That image of Vader reaching out over the emptiness: "Join me!" And Luke's suicidal leap. It's fucking Shakespearean. No contest.

Star_Wars_EP5_KEY_392_R_450.jpg

2. Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon Jinn vs. Darth Maul

Very little dialogue in this one, but as far as action goes the high point of the saga. Never have we seen Jedis in their prime fight before, and the flips and jumps are breathtaking. Maul looks like one bad motherfucker, and that he's able to outlast two guys is pretty impressive. The way this thing plays out is high drama: once the Jedis are separated by that electric barrier, you know something bad's gonna happen. I love the contrast between how calm and meditative Qui-Gon is while waiting for the barrier to come down, while Maul paces back and forth like a tiger in a cage. And once Qui-Gon goes down, Obi-Wan is chomping at the bit to go to town on Maul. This is my favorite part; the choreography here is like ballet, and then Obi-Wan splits Maul's sabre in two and there's that close-up where Obi-Wan is gnashing his teeth as their sabres cross right in front of Maul's face. Plus, Obi-Wan's sabre force-grab and flip over Maul's head to end the fight--BADASS. Best. Jedi. Ever.

3. Mace Windu & Co. vs. Palpatine & Anakin

Alright, the & Co. gets dispatched with pretty quickly, and I don't think this would be very high on most people's list, but getting to see Palps fight for the first time was a big deal. The dialogue leading to the fight is so sinister. "Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?" The way Palps jumps over that desk and takes out 3 Jedi Masters so quickly just shakes you up. This one is extra intense because we keep cutting back to Anakin, who doesn't know if he should come to help or not. When Mace smashes out that window, it's reminiscent of Empire, but the wind just revs the atmosphere up even more. Then you have the force lightning battle, which was done in Clones, but here it's turning Palps' face into the fucking Elephant Man! Damn! And then the climactic moment when Anakin makes his fatal decision--when Palps finally gets the lightning on Mace and flings him over the window ledge...simply the most horrifying moment in the entire Saga. I mean, even if you didn't like Samuel L. that much, to see him beat down like that (especially after kicking major ass in the Clones arena battle) was intense.

4. Yoda/Obi-Wan/Anakin vs. Count Dooku

Okay, really this is just about the Yoda thing. Either you thought Yoda fighting was ridiculously over-the-top, or you thought it was ridiculously over-the-top and loved every second of it. When I first saw this I was so giddy I couldn't stop laughing, but it was out of joy, not out of scorn. You have to hand it to ILM for even pulling this off. There's a few cool moments before Yoda shows up, especially when Anakin cuts the power cable and we only see the sabres in darkness. And of course Anakin mirrors his son's fate by getting his own hand cut off (for the first time). But Obi-Wan get put down a little quickly, and really it's just a precursor to Yoda. When we see his silhouette shuffling around the corner, the tap of his walking stick against the cave wall...if a crowd was clapping louder in any film at any moment I don't remember it. When he opens up his cloak and removes his sabre, sure it's a little cheesy, but give the people what they want! There's not a whole lot of contact here, but it's just dazzling to watch. And there's that great little grace note when he picks up the walking stick after the fight and hobbles over to his fallen compatroits, like he's incapable of strenuous activity.

4. Obi-Wan vs. Jango Fett

I like this one a lot because it's the rare exception of a Jedi fighting a non-Jedi. Obi-Wan uses his sabre here more defensively, but there's still some great action here. The setting on Kamino helps too; you have to love the image of dueling in the rain (shades of the Lucas-inspiring Seven Samurai, anyone). There's a couple humorous moments as well, like when Obi-Wan throw Jango over the side and then realizes he's still attached to him by Jango's cable. And what about Jango Fett here? Fans longed for years to really see Boba Fett in action (sadly, ROTJ failed to deliveron that promise), and this is as close as anyone can get. He theoretically "wins" this fight, although Obi-Wan is able to come back and fight while Jango runs away in his ship.

5. Luke vs. Vader & Palpatine (Jedi)

This is pretty intense. While the scope is fairly limited, it's the claustrophobia and what's at stake that makes it so good. You have the Emperor watching over, taunting both combatants at different times to get a reaction. Luke clearly has the upper hand in most of this fight, and when Vader mentions Leia, he just goes apeshit, and beats Vader down with what may be the most violent images in all of the films, Vader's arm clinging to the railing as Luke continues to whallop on him. This fight also has the added bonus of seeing the force lightning for the first time, which was also pretty damned intense. And of course the big finish, where Vader has his change of heart and throw Palpatine into the core of the Death Star (you'd think Palpatine would be able to grab onto something on the way down, as he wasn't even injured up to this point, but whatever).

6. Anakin vs. Obi-Wan

You'd think this would be rated higher, you know? It's only the duel we waited for ever since the whole story became known, right? And it certainly delivered. The lava, the swinging from cables, throwing shit at each other, etc. I don't know why I don't rank this higher, but to me there wasn't really enough of a big moment. I liked the way Anakin went down at the end, but while I understand the reasoning behind it (Anakin's impatience and arrogance is what defeats him), it kind of happens too fast. That being said, I love McGregor's acting after the fight's over. It's brutal. The fight itself...I guess maybe they blew their load a bit in the Phantom Menace. Aside from when they're trying to force push each other and stalemate into getting knocked back on their asses, there isn't really anything in this duel we haven't seen before aside from the setting. Maybe it will grow on me.

7. Yoda vs. Palpatine

In some ways this is better than Anakin vs. Obi-Wan. Maybe I'm not sure if they should have cross-cut between the two. I don't know. It's not the fighting that's so great here. It's a few great dialogue exchanges, it's the way Yoda enters Palps' office and casually lays those two guards out with a flick of the wrist, and it's how Palps' desk slowly rises and becomes the center of the Senate chamber. When he starts hurling those Senator pods down at Yoda, this movie is firing on all cylinders. Great stuff. And then you have the sad conclusion when Yoda realizes he can't win the big picture here, and escapes ashamed. The image of his cloak slowly floating down to the floor is such a great metaphor.

8. Obi-Wan vs. General Grievous

This loses points because not only is Grievous a CGI character, but he can kind of do anything and it's stacking the deck a little. But it's a cool little fight that turns into a cool chase scene that turns into a fight again, and the ending is great. One thing of note, Grievous is such a badass with his four sabres and yet Obi-Wan lops off two of his arms pretty quickly. You know what that means? It means Obi-Wan is an even BIGGER badass.

9. Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader

Sorry, I know many will rank this way higher. I just don't see the big deal. These guys barely move. Yes, it's the first fight. Yes, it's iconic. Yes, there's a great emotional moment when Luke sees his mentor struck down. But it's rather slight.

10. Obi-Wan & Anakin vs. Count Dooku

Of course, this is more of a piece of exposition than an actual duel. The same thing happens in Clones. Dooku incapacitates Obi-Wan and winds up facing Anakin man-to-man. This time he loses. Instead of Anakin losing a hand, Dooku loses his head.

A couple things I omitted:

Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul on Tattooine--it's a little too short to include, but you have to love the way Maul jumps off his little motorcycle and flips right into action.

Mace Windu vs. Jango Fett--this fight lasts about 2 seconds, but serves to show how even the greatest bounty hunter is no match for a supreme Jedi Master like Mace. Pretty killer move when Mace blocks like 5 laser blasts with his sabre and then takes Jango's head right off.

Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon vs. Battle Droids--not really a duel but it's the first time we see Jedis in action in the prequel trilogy, and there are some great moves as they take all these chumps down with sabres and force throws.

Whew! Sorry about the novel.

Last edited:
I like your list and you've pretty much hit the reasons why with your explanations, so I'll just go into straight rankings:

1. Luke vs. Vader (Empire)
This is the granddaddy of every other lightsaber battle in the saga, no question. This can never be given too much praise.

2. Obi-Wan vs. Anakin / Vader (Sith)
This is exactly what I had been waiting for in the entire prequel trilogy, and it fucking delivers. The visuals are stunning (I highly suggest checking out the Sith DVD on the making of this scene, it's almost as epic as the battle itself). What clinches this as #2 for me is the final exchange between Obi-Wan and Anakin while Anakin's mostly limbless body is burning. Ewan McGregor needs serious props for this scene. "You were the chosen one!"

3. Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vs. Maul (Menace)

As an 8-year-old kid watching this on the big screen, it was like Christmas in July (or May). Seriously, as much as I dislike Menace and most of its intangibles, I will never cease to love this fight scene.

4. Luke vs. Vader vs. Palpatine (Jedi)

Really no explanation needed for this one. The best part is the cutting between the wide shot of Palpy shocking Luke, Luke writhing in pain, and the close up of Vader's mask. You can almost see the conflict in Vader right there. It's such an emotional scene. That entire sequence is the best part of Jedi, mostly for Palpy's non-stop taunting. I know NSFW will agree.

5. Mace fuckin' Windu & the Lamest Jedi Ever vs. Palpatine & Anakin (Sith)

Just badass. I wish Mace didn't go out this way, but that's what you get when you give Mia Wallace a foot massage... sorry, wrong movie.

About the Obi-Wan vs. Vader fight from A New Hope, I was never a big fan of this for the same reasons Laz mentioned, but after seeing it directly after Sith, there's a certain emotional weight here that was lacking before. The samurai-style sword movements fit the fight perfectly. This isn't the acrobatic, astounding battle you see in Sith, it's a more balanced battle between two weathered people. Obi-Wan might've "died," but he still has the high ground at the end, to shamelessly quote Sith.

Hmm. I'll think it over during my long metro ride to the theater soon.

Be prepared for some hardcore Return of the Jedi lovin' though.

:wink:

1. Empire
2. A New Hope
3. Sith (very close with no.4 though)
4. Jedi
5. Menace
6. Clones

1. Qui-Gonn Jinn & Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Maul - Episode I - The Phantom Menace

I know I'm going to get shit for putting this above the immortal Luke/Vader battle, but for me the action in this is better. The Luke/Vader battle carries more emotional weight because of the reveal, but in terms of choreography, direction, stunning visual beauty, and sheer excitement, I think this is the best. And Darth Maul kicks fucking ass. So does Qui-Gon Jinn. I wish we would have seen him in Sith.

2. Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader - Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

No explanation needed.

3. Yoda vs Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious - Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith

I thought this was very well done, the concept of the ultimate Jedi Master vs the ultimate Sith Lord. Given what was happening the last portion of this film, they are literally fighting for everything. Sidious wins, he takes over the galaxy, Yoda wins, the Jedi can be salvaged, Anakin can be saved(this point is emphasized very well by the way this battle switches back and forth the Obi-Wan/Anakin dual) and peace can return. The part where the center platform of the senate chamber rises INTO the senate chamber with the two of them dualing on it is one of the visual high points of the entire saga, imo. It was really, really effective, and very, very evocative, in terms of conveying the idea of the two masters fighting for everything. And the end, when Sidious thinks he's killed Yoda, and Yoda sulks away with this look in his eyes, as if he knows how much will be lost because of his failure to defeat Sidious, that was a great emotional moment.

4.Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader - Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith

Throughout the entirity of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, constant reference is made to this mythical battle between Obi-Wan and Vader, the battle in which Vader became Vader. Like laz said, it delivered. The choice to set this battle in the middle of fiery hell was genius - it really made the viewer FEEL what was at stake. McGregor really nailed it in those moments when Obi-Wan realizes that Anakin is lost for good...'You were supposed to bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness', 'you were my brother Anakin, I loved you', 'You were the chosen one', etc. And the part where Obi-Wan picks up Anakin's lightsaber before he leaves...great tie-in for when he gives it to Luke in A New Hope. Extremely well done.

5. Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader & Darth Sidious - Episode VI - Return Of The Jedi

The battle where Sidious is finally defeated, where Anakin finally 'wakes up' before he dies. To be honest, my memory of the action in this dual is quite fuzzy...I really don't remember it. I just remember that it was good. And I know that the significance of this dual to the overall story can't be understated. Without this dual, there is no redemption. Without this dual, Sebastian Shaw doesn't exist. Without this dual, Luke may very well end up with same fate as his father. Without this daul, the Galactic Empire might exist forever.

6. Yoda vs Count Dooku - Episode II - Attack Of The Clones

Yeah, Anakin and Obi-Wan were technically a part of this dual too, but like laz said, this is about Yoda. It was the first time we got to see Yoda fight. And it was awesome. I think laz pretty much covered all of the reasons why this dual ranks.

7. Mace Windu vs Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious - Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith

This is the only time we get to see Windu fight, but his only dual in the saga doesn't disappoint. In fact, it is here that it is revealed the deformation of Sidious's face seen in ROTJ was in fact caused by Mace Windu. The part where he burned his lightning bolts or whatever the hell they were into Sidious's face with Sidious screaming was VERY riveting. It would've been awesome to see Windu finish him off, but then the OT never would've happened. But yeah, the deformation of Sidious's face is basically why this is ranked where it is.

8. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader - Episode IV - A New Hope

Laz is right - although this battle holds emotional and historical signifance, it's just not that exciting. However, said emotional and historical significance makes it rank.

That's it.

Lancemc said:
Hmm. I'll think it over during my long metro ride to the theater soon.

Be prepared for some hardcore Return of the Jedi lovin' though.

:wink:

If your #1 is Luke vs. The Rancor I think we may have grounds to get you banned.

Fights ranking:

1. Luke/Vader (Empire) - Anakin/Wan Kenobi (Sith) : the best fights in the series. The emotional weight of these is huge, and everything is at stake. "I'm your father" - "You were the chosen one".

2. Vader/Luke/Emperor (Jedi) - the fight to end it all. Another emotional fight as Vader finally picks the good side and briefly gets reunited with Luke.

3. Qui Gon/Kenobi/Darth Maul (Menace) - Jedis in their prime, and the Sith attacks. As the other two, another emotional duel as Kenobi loses his mentor and proceeds to avenge him.

4. Vader/Kenobi (New Hope) - Luke loses his mentor, and Kenobi really becomes "more powerful" than Vader anticipated. Rated lower only because it ends so abruptly.

Everything else takes a back seat. Honourable mention to the Yoda/Emperor fight in the Senate (Sith). Jedis lose everything, and the Sith have taken over.

...but that's the extent of my love for this episode.

It's terrible.

Watch the Robot Chicken special again instead of this shit.

God damn Family Guy is an awful show.

I wonder wha the pitch for this was?

"Hey, so let's capitalize on what Robot Chicken just did and make a Star Wars special. Well, we can't do it actaly the same why they do, so we'll take a different approach. Let's just remake the film with everyone's favorite Family Guy characters and remove any and all semblance of humour."

The only remotely funny running joke was Peter trying to get the couch on the Millennium Falcon.

I chuckled at that a bit.

Finally watched the Family Guy episode. Personally I didn't think it was all that funny, compared to the laughs per minute of the normal episodes, as I'm actually a fan of the show. Seems like they were trying to say all the classic lines instead of playing to the show's strengths. I thought there should have been a lot more Stewie and Brian. Was glad to see the old man as Obi-Wan, couple funny lines there.

The pair of Airplane references were perfectly places, and I especially liked the first shot on Yavin where they poked fun of that guy who appears to be clocking them with a radar gun. Never understood what that was really supposed to be.

One of my favorite exchanges:

"Aren't you a little fat for a stormtrooper?"

"Fine, stay here and rot, you stuck up bitch."

and

"Thank you, early 90's printer."

I also liked Artoo/Cleveland firing a handgun out the side window of the Falcon. The opening crawl was pretty funny too.

I loved the Family Guy episode, actually because they had so many shot-for-shot recreations faithful to A New Hope...maybe it made me a bit nostalgic. Jek Porkins in the X-Wing, HOW IS THAT NOT FUNNY?!?

But yeah, fuck the Jedi shit, the best part of Star Wars is the space battles. Nothing surpasses the old-timey WWII movie-style assault on the first Death Star. For me, anyway. John Williams' musical cues are just perfect.

The only better job he's done as far as improving the action on screen has been the cues for Phantom Menace's lightsaber battle. That flourish of music when Qui Gon gets cut down always gives me goosebumps, regardless of how many times I see it.

Shame people hate on Menace so much, it's my favourite of the prequels just for the set design, Darth Maul, and score.

Ok, first of all, Star Wars talk should be in here, where it's presumably safe.

Secondly, fuck the fucking Family Guy.

Third, my friend doesn't like you.

I don't like you either.

Am I the only person here who loves Family Guy? I was hooked on this one from the first episode, when the Kool-Aid guy burst through the wall of the courtroom.

Anyway, Return of the Jedi is an abomination.

I just like saying that.

I used to really like Family Guy, and still quote and reference the older episodes, but I don't like how the show shifted focus from snappy references and sometimes witty dialogue to the "long awkward scenes."

It was funny the first time when Peter was writhing in pain over his knee, but that was it.

As for Jedi, you can't repel unevenness of that magnitude!

Ever see the one where they show Stewie watching the Bewitched film, leave the theatre, go to the airport, fly to Los Angeles, go to a store and buy a ladder, take a cab to Will Ferrell's house, ring the doorbell, climb the ladder, and punch him in the face when he opens the door? It's like 2 minutes long, but I was howling.

Jesus Christ, the ONE thread actually DEVOTED to Star Wars talk is seemingly the only one not talking about Star Wars.

Back
Top Bottom