The New English Footy Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^^^^^^^

i hope both of you are right.

but i'm seriously worried.

hopefully we can win on the weekend and bring the first trophy of the season home.

Alright, can someone please explain what the difference is between the following (these are just names I've heard being tossed around):

Carling Cup
FA Cup
LDV Vans Trophy
Community Shield
League Cup
EFA Cup
English Cup

:shrug:

DaveC said:
Alright, can someone please explain what the difference is between the following (these are just names I've heard being tossed around):

Carling Cup
FA Cup
LDV Vans Trophy
Community Shield
League Cup
EFA Cup
English Cup

:shrug:

Right the Carling Cup aka the League Cup, aka The Worthington Cup, aka The Coca-Cola Cup, aka The Milk Cup aka The Mickey Mouse Cup (I must have missed one of the names it was once under, wasn't it named after a washing machine at one point?) This is the third most important of the English domestic competions and is a relatively straight forward cup knock out competition. All 92 league sides enter and the final is this Sunday (I'm going, it's Chelsea V Liverpool) at a neutral venue.

The FA Cup is the most famous and important domestic Cup Competition in the World. It is currently named The Axa FA Cup. It's Final is in May and is open to teams of all levels (Bath University made it to the First Round last year I think). Last year it was won by Manchester United but it is very exciting because you usually get some giant killings. It is a very straight forward knock-out competition.

The LDV Vans trophy is a less straight forward cup competition only open to lower league (ie non-Premier League and Championship sides). It isn't terribly important to anyone until your team reaches the final.

The Community Shield (previously the Charity Shield) is the curtain opener of the season, a one-off game between the previous season's Premier League Winners and FA Cup winners. If a team has done the double then it's the League runners up who get to play. This is held at a neutral venue in August and all the money raised is supposed to go to Charity however there is some controvesy over this.

EFA is a new one on me. Do you mean the UEFA cup?

I could be wrong but I believe that the English Cup is what the FA Cup is often referred to outside the UK.

Hope this helps.

Oh, predictions this week - Arsenal to bounce back with an away win against Southampton tomorrow morning (well, we can hope!). Chelsea to beat Liverpool, though i think the match will be close. And Man U to beat whoever they are playing?? have no idea!!

Party Boy said:
So does anyone think the pressure is starting to get to Mourhinho? Seems like antics with Barcelona during the week has left him with some egg on his face!

I think so. Saying about the Ref being in the Barcelona dressing room at half time...hmmm, where have I heard that before?
Oh yeah..the last time Jose was unhappy with a result, 0-0 with UTD in the Carling Cup.

Btw - we're playing Portsmouth at home 2moro afternoon Party Boy, should cruise thru this one, and punish them for humiliating us at Fratton Park in November.:mad:

Party Boy said:
So does anyone think the pressure is starting to get to Mourhinho? Seems like antics with Barcelona during the week has left him with some egg on his face!

Yes I think so.
It's a bit like the boy who cried wolf that is unless we see some proof.
It's also backfired I think because it's taken the attention away from how hard done by Chelsea were on Wednesday night.
Mind you I do have some doubts about the Barcelona and Frisk accounts of the story Barcelona are trying to come across as angelic which they are far from and Frisk must be delighted because he gets his picture in the paper.
If we lose on Sunday we can start to use the C-word (crisis).
I'm starting to think we will lose on Sunday if Drogba and Duff aren't fully fit unless Liverpool put in a Burnley, Southampton or Birmingham performance.

Just watched Jose's Carling Cup Final press conference he is in fine form I can recommend it to anyone.
It will be very interesting to see how United react to Wednesday night. They've not had many defeats in games that really matter to them this season and one of the most recent was against Portsmouth.
If United win and close the gap to six points and Chelsea lose on Sunday I think a lot of people around Stamford Bridge are going to start getting a bit nervous. (Me included)

Party Boy said:
6 points and then having to put up with Alex's pychological b***shit!

Exactly.
They'll also be more of it because of the 50 year thing and we'll hear endlessly that Chelsea still have to go to Cold Trafford.

Another 2 dumb questions from a footy wannabe fan:

1) Why are the away kits of half the teams lemon yellow? Is there a specific reason as to why so many teams have the same colour kit as their away?

2) Can someone please explain to me all this relegation/promotion stuff? I mean, I know that there's the Premiership, then Football League Champ, then League One, and League Two, but how low can teams go? Do League Two teams get relegated? To what? Is there a League Three that I don't know about? And what's the deal with calling the Division One league League Champ, and the Division Two and Three leagues Leagues One and Two? :huh:

Pero said:
1/4 finals-Lyon vs. Barca
-Arsenal vs. Porto
-Liverpool vs. Milan
-Psv vs. Juve

my predictions

Inter v Porto (1-1) - The San Siro is an intimidating stadium, Inter play very well there, and Porto is not half the team it was a year ago. I really think Inter will advance to the quarters....

Chelsea v Barcelona (1-2) - I cannot see Chelsea shutting out Barcelona in London, Rijkaard's men have to much attacking prowess. Barcelona to advance.....

Juventus v Real Madrid (0-1) - Real will score at the D'ell Alpi, and Juve is not good enough at the moment to score 3. Real to advance.....

Leverkusen v Liverpool (1-3) - Berbatov of course is a huge threat but the Germans need to attack from the start, that will enable Liverpool to hit them on the break. The boys from Anfield should go through.......

Lyon v Bremen (3-0) - The one tie that is truly dead and buried......

Monaco v PSV - I fancy the French, Saviola and Kallon are real talents. PSV seem to be the weakest team left..........

Arsenal v Bayern Munich (1-3) - Campbell out is a body blow. Even if Arsenal do score twice, it is highly unlikely that they can shut out the Bavarians. I think Bayern will qualify, and they will do it easily.........

AC Milan v Manchester United (1-0) - Once again the standout fixture for me! I used my brains for the last 7 so i will go with my heart on this one. United will win 2-1 at the San Siro and advance by virtue of the away goals rule.......

DaveC said:
Another 2 dumb questions from a footy wannabe fan:

1) Why are the away kits of half the teams lemon yellow? Is there a specific reason as to why so many teams have the same colour kit as their away?

2) Can someone please explain to me all this relegation/promotion stuff? I mean, I know that there's the Premiership, then Football League Champ, then League One, and League Two, but how low can teams go? Do League Two teams get relegated? To what? Is there a League Three that I don't know about? And what's the deal with calling the Division One league League Champ, and the Division Two and Three leagues Leagues One and Two? :huh:

1) Coincidence. Teams that play at home in yellow, however, are all evil and should be avoided, especially if their name starts with 'N' and ends with an 'Orwich'.

2) The Football League is made up of 92 clubs (20 in the Premiership, 24 each in the Championship, League One and League Two). At the end of each season the bottom three teams in the Premier League are relegated into the Championship, and their place in the top flight is taken by the top two teams of the Championship plus the play-off winners. The play-off involves the teams placed third to fifth in the Championship. There are play-off semis involving the four teams, which are played on a home and away basis with aggregate scores calculated at the end of both ties, the two winners meeting in a final at Wembley (or Cardiff, as it is now). The winner of that match goes on to the Premiership.

This process sort of repeats itself for promotion from League One to the Championship and League Two to League One (except for the last case the top three are promoted and one from the play-offs, with four relegations from League One to League Two). Is there relegation from League Two? Yes.

The Nationwide Conference is not part of the Football League - as such, it is termed 'non-league'. There's been some restructuring of sorts of the Conference recently that I'm not very clear about, but in the old system one team was relegated from League Two and one promoted from the Conference into League football, providing that club met FA ground requirements. The Conference itself is the 'Premiership' of non-league (ie. the highest level before the League itself), and hence relegation from the Conference brings us to various amateur, semi-professional regional leagues such as the Ryman League, the Isthmian League, and the Athenian League.

And as for the league names, they're due to rubbish decisions.

Party Boy said:
truly frustrated with the Arsenal game today. Yet another cock up by our goalie at yet another corner. We could and should have won by 3. Just not happening at moment.... aaarrrgggghhhhh

I listened to it on 5Live, didn't sound too good a day at all. I can feel ur pain Party Boy with regards to the goalie howler. We at Old Trafford no about them only too well.
It'll be interesting to see this Van Persie foul that got him sent off on t.v later.
(After watching us thrash Pompey of course!!):mad:

Well done (i suppose:madspit:) to Chelski for coming back to take the Carling Cup yesterday. I was behind Liverpool for the whole game, but deep down, I knew there was no way they'd hold on to that lead!

Good entertainment from Jose during the game too! :wink:
Poor Gerrard, the boys in Blue will be forever reminding him of this own goal incident, on the training ground next season...:ohmy: Oops!! Did I just say that?!:wink:

2-1 for us against Pompey. I bloody knew we would concede before being able to score a 2nd. Ferguson needs to do something about that habit of not killing games off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom