The 2007 FIA Formula 1 World Championship thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone know what's going on with Scott Speed? He said that he won't race for Tost and Berger again but he was testing this week.

The 2008 calendar came out today and we have Valencia on 24 Aug and Singapore 28 Sept. The season finishes in Brazil 2 Nov.

Slipstream said:
Does anyone know what's going on with Scott Speed? He said that he won't race for Tost and Berger again but he was testing this week.

The 2008 calendar came out today and we have Valencia on 24 Aug and Singapore 28 Sept. The season finishes in Brazil 2 Nov.

I heard that Speed was still driving for the team but that there is a conflict between him and Tost/Berger. Somewhere I even heard there was some kind of fight or something and that Tost had hit Speed. :eyebrow:
I guess I won't be surprized if Speed does get kicked out of the team. Rumors like that can't be a good sign.

Yeah apparently Speed was involved in a physical altercation with one of the team bosses, I believe.

Rock and roll, bitch!

Yeah, once he gets the boot there won't be an American in F1 for the next 6+ years :|

Yeah, that's a shame as well. It's nice to hear a driver talk who I can actually understand, because all the foreigners are hard(er) to understand and they always use cliches.

Do they prefer the Indy over there? Cos all I hear is that sport is going down the shitter.

Germany’s Sebastian Vettel is to replace Scott Speed at Toro Rosso for the remainder of 2007. Vettel has been released from his position as BMW Sauber’s test and reserve driver with immediate effect.

Speed’s departure was widely anticipated following his recent run-in with Toro Rosso management at the Nurburgring. Vettel, who made his Formula One race debut with BMW earlier this year, is backed by Toro Rosso co-owners Red Bull.

Let's be nice and wave Scott Speed goodbye

And there goes Speed....

Bye Scott, can't really say I 'll miss you 'though. :wave:

Last edited:
I just read this about Speed being dropped, but I can't say I'm surprised. I've tried to read enough about the whole situation that has happened with him and Toro Rosso but I'm still left with one feeling, that he was treated completely unfairly in all this. I've never been Speed's biggest fan but man this Toro Rosso management are a real piece of work.

Things like this happen in Formula 1. It's a kind of political game that the management department of teams can play(money, sponsorships etc). It sucks but it's just the way it is.

Everyone has probably already heard about the McLaren pit-stop fiasco. Alonso has had his pole taken away and been rightfully demoted to 6th spot on the grid for holding up Hamilton in the pits at the final minutes of Q3 so he couldn't have a chance to do his final hot lap. Hammy was on P1 before the final pits and with good probability of getting the pole.

FIA stewards after investigating and listening to audio and viewing tapes came to the decision and are also docking any McLaren Constructors points for tomorrow's GP. McLaren in going to appeal that part.

These times were taken from the stewards verdict -

14:57:34 - Alonso told to come into the pits and "we are going to hold you for 20 seconds".

14:57:46 - Alonso's car arrived at pit stop, his tyres were changed and the jacks removed just 6 seconds later.

14:57:52 to 14:58:12 - Car remains in position until lollipop raised. At this time Hamilton arrived at the pit stop.

***26 seconds have elapsed since Alonso arrived at the pit stop. The 6 second pit and the previously announced holding of 20 seconds.

14:58:12 - Alonso remains at the pit stop position for a further 10 seconds.

Explanation why he remained the extra time was that he was enquiring as to whether the correct set of tyres had been fitted to his car. When asked why this had not been in the 20 secs previous he said he couldn't get through on the radio. The traffic excuse doesn't hold up because there was only 4 cars on the circuit and 3 of them were in the pits except Kimi. There was no traffic!

I think Alonso is guilty on this one for bad sportsmanship. He also gets to start on the dirty side of the track tomorrow while Hammy starts on pole from the clean side. LOL, squished in with reckless Ralf...it's gonna be an exciting start!

Hamilton, another win!! Pretty boring race all in all but at least there was a bit of suspense with Kimi on Lewis' tail. Even Damon Hill and James Allen were getting very quiet towards the end of the race. Speaking of Hill, it was great hearing him commentate the race and get a fresh perspective on F1 from an ex-driver and champion.

Three more weeks to wait until Turkey now which really sucks.

I wonder if Dennis will manage to get those points in the constructor's championship back in the end.

But I don't think the FIA will let that happen.

^^I read somewhere that Dennis won't be going for an appeal now for those points.

In other news that came out today from Spanish newspaper 'Marca' -

Alonso declared to 'Marca': "The team has to decide: Or I leave McLaren, or Hamilton leaves".

Yesterday in the Hungarian paddock Alonso declared that he wasn't sure if he would respect his three-year contract with McLaren. When he was asked the question he answered: "I don't know".

According to 'Marca', ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­Alonso's father and manager had a meeting with Renault's Flavio Briatore directly after the Hungarian Grand Prix. Earlier this season, rumours were already spread that Renault wanted Alonso back, but after this new incident at McLaren it seems more and more realistic that the Asturian driver, who became World Champion twice with Renault, will return to his former team.

I saw on ticker tape on TV this morning that Alonso was told he has to leave McLaren at the end of the year.

So what's the consesus here? His fault or Hamstring's?

I believe they were both at fault.
Hamilton for not obeying team orders in letting Alonsa pass and of cause Alonsa for wasting time in the pits.
Since Alonsa did his second, as a spoilt child to get Hamilton back, perhaps Alonsa is more at fault :madwife: . He is after all older, more experienced and should be more mature.

With regards to the ticker tape on TV, (I saw it too and thought wow).

Ron Dennis has signalled that Fernando Alonso is free to leave McLaren after this season if he is cannot live with the team’s commitment to treating both drivers equally.

Alonso is contracted to McLaren until the end of 2009, but after his increasingly tense relationship with team-mate Lewis Hamilton flared up in Hungary, he told the Spanish press that he was unsure whether he would see out the three years.

Alonso is understood to be unhappy that Hamilton has been given equal status in the team, when he had expectations of being the clear lead driver.

But Dennis remains adamant that McLaren’s commitment to parity between the two drivers is non-negotiable.

“We will continue to function as a grand prix team with specific values and if anybody does not want to be part of those values – irrespective of where they sit in the organisation – ultimately they will have a choice,” he said.

“But we will not deviate away from our values.”

Despite the tense atmosphere in the team, Dennis is hopeful that both Alonso and Hamilton will see out their multi-year contracts.

“We have two drivers who are contracted for several years into the future,” he said.

“We will respect our part of that bargain and that part of the situation.

“We hope that the drivers respect theirs because that's what a contract is about.”

Down Under said:
I believe they were both at fault.
Hamilton for not obeying team orders in letting Alonsa pass and of cause Alonsa for wasting time in the pits.
Since Alonsa did his second, as a spoilt child to get Hamilton back, perhaps Alonsa is more at fault :madwife: . He is after all older, more experienced and should be more mature.

I agree, this is pretty much what I wrote in an email to Ted Kravitz at ITV and is probably the consensus of the community. Lewis being the rookie was bound to make a blunder and has since apologised to the team and especially to RD.

Alonso on the other has refused, as for as I've read, to apologise or own up to his mistake of taking revenge. This coming from an experienced 2-time champion and the supposed team-leader and senior in the team, certainly not leading by example to earn the respect he thinks he deserves.

I remember this like yesterday...

pa198915001_fweb_.jpg

nostalgia4.jpg

do you think we may see it again? :hmm: :hyper:

(don't tell me that wasn't EXCITING, exactly like right now)

I also heard there were rumors about Alonso returning to Renault in the Dutch media....

This situation is really tense and explosive and everyone who thinks he is anything in F1 has an opinion about the conflict between Hamilton and Alonso.

Eddie Irvine: "If they were to make a sequel of the film 'Million Dollar baby', then Lewis and Fernando would surely be the stars. I'd call it 'Multi-Million Dollar Babies!'.."

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/08/09/hamilton-and-alonso-are-million-dollar-babies/

What the hell happened to Irvine? He just up and left.

Personally I'd like to see him go to like Spyker or something like that. Then we'll see how good he is. :yes: I've always wondered that. :hmm: How would Michael Schumacher have fared in a Minardi for a race? If he did a straight swap between he and the Minardi driver, Schuey 22nd and the Minardi guy 1st. Would he be able to get into the points consistently?

Michael Schumacher in a Minardi would be interesting but I don't think he would be able to score points consistently. Just not possible in a car like a Minardi. That kind of car is only good at two things: being slow and breaking down :wink:

Bourdais to switch to Formula One in 2008

Associated Press
8/10/2007 9:16:24 AM

LONDON (AP) - Three-time Champ Car champion Sebastien Bourdais will race in Formula One next season for the Toro Rosso team.

The 28-year-old Frenchman will join the F1 team after the Champ Car season ends in early December, Toro Rosso said Friday.

Bourdais is currently leading the U.S.-based series in a bid for an unprecedented fourth consecutive title. He drives for the elite Newman/Haas/Lanigan team.

Bourdais has tested three times with Toro Rosso this year.

''It has been a long time coming, but here we are,'' he said. ''I would like to thank everyone at Red Bull Racing for believing in me and giving me this long awaited opportunity to race in Formula One.''

Bourdais will race alongside Sebastian Vetel, who replaced Scott Speed - the only American driver in F1 - before last weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix.

Bourdais will replace Vitantonio Liuzzi, who also has struggled to make any impact this season. The team has yet to score a point after 11 of 17 races.

Good to see I reckon. Hopefully he can do well after forging a successful career in Indy. What do you guys reckon of Rossi joining? Will he ever?

COBL_04 said:
What do you guys reckon of Rossi joining? Will he ever?

Rossi will never join F1, I think that in 3-4 years, when he will leave Moto GP, he will join the Rallies. That's actually he's main passion beside Moto GP, F1 would be tough, there's too much competition for him. Hamilton, Kimi, Alonso, Kubica, Massa (?), that's the present and the future of F1. There's only one John Surtees out there.................:wink:

Back
Top Bottom