Shuttlecock! Part VIII - If God Will Serve His Shuttles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even Better... is probably my least favorite cut on AB as well. I really dig the music video though.

I never skip it, as there's nothing offensive about it, but if it came any later than track 2 I don't know if I'd be able to get through it each time.

It's incredible to me that album still hasn't been knocked off its #1 perch, as much music as I've absorbed the past five years. I still am head over heels for every song, even "Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the Court."

Probably not even in my top 3 Shuttlecock any more. I still love me some Zoo TV though. Hot damn.

It's incredible to me that album still hasn't been knocked off its #1 perch, as much music as I've absorbed the past five years. I still am head over heels for every song, even "Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the Court."

I doubt it will ever leave mine, either.

Just nothing new under the sun, I guess. Can't imagine anything mindfucking me sonically with such an undercurrent of raw emotion like that again.

I like Achtung more than, say, NNOTH, but I'm not sure it's even in my top 5 at this point. I've listened to it more than any other album, and while I do think it's fantastic, I've grown tired of it after 1000000000000000000000 plays.

Ball Boy and Cockengers keep climbing the list because they're fresh to me. Same with NNOTH.

Ignoring the fact that I just finished writing a paper and I now have to study for an exam tomorrow, I find it very unnerving that I have no desire to listen to No Net right now. That can't be a good thing.

Random wish: Edge should've expanded on that brief little Tom Morello-ish riff in Stand Up Cock. Just when he's getting somewhere sonically interesting on the guitar... it cuts back to the standard riff.

Random wish: Edge should've expanded on that brief little Tom Morello-ish riff in Stand Up Cock. Just when he's getting somewhere sonically interesting on the guitar... it cuts back to the standard riff.

I picked up on that.

And while I'd hesitate to change anything on Courts of Lebanon, I really wish that chorus "Return...the serve...to home" would have been repeated each time. It winds up hanging there.

Ignoring the fact that I just finished writing a paper and I now have to study for an exam tomorrow, I find it very unnerving that I have no desire to listen to No Net right now. That can't be a good thing.

It's not unnerving.

You simply do not like it all that much. Same as Laz, IYS, etc. You guys are most definitely alone, from what I've observed today.

You're lucky in that you love tons of music, and so, you're able to move right on and wait for the next release that excited you. Think of the U2 fans with limited musical tastes that do not like the album. For them, it's like they just got dumped or whatnot.

Sorry you guys are not digging it, but, cannot say that I'm surprised.

I picked up on that.

And while I'd hesitate to change anything on Courts of Lebanon, I really wish that chorus "Return...the serve...to home" would have been repeated each time. It winds up hanging there.

I actually kind of like that it doesn't repeat. It fits the the narrative nature of the lyric better for me.

I'm disappointed in a portion of the lyrics, but there's not one song I don't like on here.

So But I'm certainly "digging" it, even if I'm not freaking out like I did when the three 90's albums came out.

"Best album since Poppycock" is good enough for me.

Laz, I skimmed through some of your earlier posts and all I read was bashing, so, forgive my surprise upon learning that you do not dislike it.

I listened 2x last night, and, just refused to listen at work today because it was too hectic, and I did not want my 3rd or 4th listens to be glorified background noise. So, headphones will be involved later on tonight.

I might put it on the big soundsystem hooked up for my living room TV since I'm down here working with my notes and laptop sprawled out on the dining room table. But I'm kind of invested in this FSU/Miami game.

Listened to is once today, tried again and got tired of it and turned it off. Probably for the best I don't listen to it too much anyway.

First thing I did this morning was burn a copy to disc so I could listen in the car. When I got home from work today first thing i did was play it on the big stereo system. Twice straight through. Just finished my 5th listen. Will play it for the gf tonight (she's a slightly more than casual fan).

It's been a good day. :)

Laz, I skimmed through some of your earlier posts and all I read was bashing, so, forgive my surprise upon learning that you do not dislike it.

I wasn't (and am still not) that harsh on Atomic Serve or ATYCLC because neither of those seemed to be aiming very high. But here, when they were clearly trying to stretch themselves and dig a little deeper, it's more frustrating to see these missteps; they stick out more (says this as the "birdie, birdie, birdie" part just played :banghead:).

Having said that, these things I'm pointing out have failed to ruin any of these songs for me, because the band is just THAT DAMN GOOD. But it could have been even better.

And by contrast, I can't remember having major quibbles with Poppycock when I got it, aside from Staring at the Cock being a little boring and If God Will Serve His Shuttles taking a bit too long to kick in. Loved it then, love it now, love every song.

Also, why do I seem to be the only one who loves Get On Your Cocks, and still thinks it's a highlight? I really don't know what would have been a better lead single.

I need to take up smoking to distract myself from the temptation.

The more tidbits I read by browsing - reviews, youse guys, listening to other Shuttlecock.

It's a challenge, now. It's on, Shuttlecock.

Oh, it's on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom