Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, the Crazy 88 scene is probably one of my favorite scenes in any Tarantino movie. :up:

Lance is right about Vol 1 being more in the style Tarantino was pursuing, but I just think Vol 2 works better as an overall film.

Watching them back-to-back is such an amazing experience though.

The Whole Bloody Affair is coming out on DVD September 18 with a glorious NC-17 Rating.

But yeah, the final half hour of Vol 2 with Bill is just about the greatest thing Quentin's ever done. That Superman speech is classic.

Oh my god, that's going to be amazing.

I'll have fun sneaking that by my mom.

The Fountain

6/10

I have to be honest. I'm pretty sure I didn't get this movie. But boy, Hugh Jackman is purty.

Saw Oceans 13 today. Liked it! I don't know what to rate it though. Definitely better than O12.

You Me & Dupree. Alright. Little boring, but alright. Preferred O13.

Pan's Labyrinth. 9.5/10. What an incredible film. Wow. I don't know that I've ever seen anything like it. Fantastic. Kind of violent, so if you're not into that, avoid, maybe. But that would be a shame. And incredible take on fairy tales and the human condition.

My review of Stranger Than Fiction may be spurious, as I viewed it in an increasingly inebriated state; however, I quite enjoyed it. Ferrell's performance is one that I never imagined him capable, very understated and affecting, and the supporting cast is excellent as well- especially Maggie Gyllenhal, who is very sexy in this role. In the end, it becomes somewhat preachy, but at least avoids the obvious.

8/10

Insomnia - Robin Williams as the villain, and does a surprisingly good job at it. Also Al Pacino and Hilary Swank are convincing as officers. Interesting plot. 7/10.
Having seen Memento, Batman begins and this, I'm liking Nolan directing so far. The dark, almost paranoid feel of his movies reminds me of David Fincher a bit.

Just got back from Oceans 13! Much better than 12. Good to see it back in Vegas. And I agree that the girls brought it down!

Also, just watched L. A. Confidential for the first time ever. I know it's 10 years old, but i finally saw it. Excellent Movie!!!!

Barton Fink - 9/10

As if I needed further proof that the Coen Bros. are some of the finest filmmakers working today.

Fight Club

I'm still processing this movie, it definitely is one of "those movies." You know, the ones that come along at the right place and right time and like Hansel says, changes your perspective on shit. I love David Fincher's style, especially the digital effects added at seemingly random places. Brad Pitt was incredible, but Edward Norton really made the movie. The sight of penis frightened me, and some of the violence made me a little uncomfortable, but it was well worth the watch.

***1/2 out of ****

Of course I'm breaking the 1st and 2nd rules of Fight Club, you do not talk about Fight Club.

:nerd:

corianderstem said:
Ocean's 13

7/10

Fun times. Clooney pretty. Barkin a little frightening. Vegas good.

:up:

I saw it last night. It was pretty much as I imagined it would be, a stylized buddy movie peppered with a few hits of great dialogue and one-liners. Slightly predictable, but a few of the funny scenes make it worth seeing.

7/10

LemonMacPhisto said:

Of course I'm breaking the 1st and 2nd rules of Fight Club, you do not talk about Fight Club.

:nerd:

Looks like we're both in trouble :wink: I'm a wimp, and pretty much shy away from abject violence, but this movie really has something to say. Norton is amazing, as you mention...FC is definitely on my top ten list.

Lancemc said:
Barton Fink - 9/10

As if I needed further proof that the Coen Bros. are some of the finest filmmakers working today.

I don't think it's my favorite Coen Bros. movie, but I did love it. The William Faulkner-esque screenwriter was such a well-written character, and I feel like they avoided a lot of the usual cliches that turn up in movies about writers. Parts of it were pretty creepy to me, too, though.

I know Fight Club's cracked my Top 100, I just need to figure out where. This summer I'm going to be watching tons of older movies that I haven't seen and absolutely need to see (The Maltese Falcon, Chinatown, Serpico, The French Connection, The Searchers, Seven Samurai, just to name a few)

As for now, I have another review:

Die Hard

There's a reason why this is arguably the best action flick from the past 25 years, and that's because it's perfect. You have one the baddest badasses ever in John McClane, one of the best villains in Han Gruber (played brilliantly by Alan Rickman), great henchman (one even looks like Huey Lewis), one of best Token Black Partners in Sgt. Powell (Carl Winslow from "Family Matters"), and also one of the biggest That Guy Pricks ever in that news reporter guy who was the prick in "Ghostbusters."

As you can tell, I love this movie for numerous reasons. This movie does not waste time on anything, everything in here has some sort of purpose in the long run, and of course the action still holds up. The only, I mean only, problem with this movie is that I have to be in the mood to sit down and watch this. When I do, it's like I said before, perfect.

Yippee Ki-Yay muthafuckas.

***1/2 out of ****

Lancemc said:
Barton Fink - 9/10

I need to see that then. Have you seen The Hudsucker Proxy?

I watched "Idiocracy" last night, small, barely released film that stars Luke Wilson (my fave of that clan and totally underrated in "Royal Tennenbaums") and created by Mike Judge (genius). It's about an average guy from today who is frozen for 500 years and winds up being the smartest guy in the future because everyone's an idiot. Nothing works because no one can figure out how to fix it, all the crops have died because they're watering with Gatorade. It's totally funny and a little bit frightening because we're not too far off from living in a world over-run by violent, lazy idiots.

The Proposition - 8.5/10

This film was a flawed masterpiece. Could have been one of the greatest "Westerns" I've ever seen if the editing had been a bit less claustrophobic. And that was really the biggest flaw with the movie. Every scene felt as if it were just cut partially into the middle or before the proper end. If it had been edited with some more breathing room between scenes, the film's depth would have shown through more visually as well as through dialog and music.

It was a fantastic classic story, and I was blown away by Nick Cave's imaginative screenplay. And though I expected to be amazed by his score, it still got the job done in a damn fine way.

Apocalypto

Fantastic. Incredible movie. Eventhough the whole movie is in the Mayan language (Don' forget to turn on the subtitles), it was incredible. Actually, I believe that having the movie in that language makes it better.
Don't pass up on the making of the movie. :up: :up:

10/10

Ocean's Thirteen

Anything could've been better than Twelve, and this sure as hell was, I definitely enjoyed it. Surprisingly enough, my favorite character was Virgil / Casey Affleck, maybe the first time I've publicly praised an Affleck. The glut of the most memorable moments of this movie come from him. Affleck praising aside, it's a fun summer movie that's worth seeing and is comparable to Eleven.

*** out of ****

PS - HOO-AH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom