Reading is Sexy: Books Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, laz :sexywink:

I picked this up this weekend, loving it so far. :up:

One of my favorite poems in that one is $$$$$$.

My brother and I were playing video poker at a bar earlier this year and my machine kept hitting so I started saying things similar to what the author says in that poem. My brother is a big Bukowski fan and that poem has always been one of our favorites so he was cracking up when the other people at the bar were shooting me dirty looks.

To add to this thread, I am currently reading The Secret Life of Bees. It's good enough, I suppose, but somehow it doesn't feel like something I haven't read before.

Let me just say that I ordered about 10 books from B&N last week, and the package arrived on Thursday, and I could not have been happier...got brand new stuff from a bunch of authors I like a lot, another Powers book as per Laz......amazing how happy opening that package made me. :)

I know cori does, but do you, NSW, or you, laz, use the library?

Both of you have talked about buying books in this thread so I'm curious if you guys also borrow.

I find the library is good for audiobooks, cause they're way too expensive.

out of curiosity, when do you listen to them? I have to make a conscious effort to listen to music or remember to turn the tv on half the time. I guess on a long car ride maybe I could, but I do love the feeling of turning the page :drool:

eta: n/m. I should post faster :)

I prefer music, too, but either way, if people are listening to books :up:

Since I am laid up with a terrible cold today, I finished The Secret Life of Bees (now I can see the movie!) and started Shiloh and Other Stories by Bobbie Ann Mason.

Mason's memoir, Clear Springs, was apparently nominated for the Pulitzer Prize but I don't know, this collection of stories is pretty dreary.

I'd rather listen to music.

I usually listen to non-fiction audiobooks. I think only twice I had fiction - one was Robin Cook and I have issued a fatwa against his writing - it's criminally awful. The other was Umberto Eco and he annoyed the shit out of me, though I could tell it was good writing. Sometimes I get bored of my music and want to edumacate my brain a bit. Fuck you and your elitist "music" bullshit. You probably listen to jazz and shit. Oh - I also tried Faulkner once, but my ipod crashed and I lost it and never bothered to go back. It was "The Sound anf The Fury" and when the old guy reading tried to do the voices of young black girls in the South, it made me uncomfortable, so I never went back to it.

out of curiosity, when do you listen to them? I have to make a conscious effort to listen to music or remember to turn the tv on half the time. I guess on a long car ride maybe I could, but I do love the feeling of turning the page :drool:

eta: n/m. I should post faster :)

I prefer books, yeah. I want to have a library someday. Right now I just have this big bookshelf, which is cool and all, but it's not a "library" per se.

I love buying books, but have made a conscious effort to start using the library more and buying books used for cheap.

Plus, I've gotten too impatient to wait for new and noteworthy books to make their way to paperback, and hardcovers are expensive, so I go to the library and put myself on the waiting list. If I love the book, I'll buy it down the line in paperback.

Today I picked up my long-awaited copies of American Wife and that Edgar Sawtelle book that I swear I actually already had on my list before Oprah stamped her seal of approval on it. I'm really looking forward to reading both of them, although I wasn't expecting them both to come to the top of my "hold" list at the same time.

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of paperbackswap.com lately - it's awesome, although the selection isn't always great. But I'm usually able to find stuff I want to read, and if I don't like it, it goes back onto the site for someone else to read it.

I .... think so? I don't know how the selection is, to be honest.

I have a friend who swears by borrowing DVDs from the library, but I like the convience of paying just under $20 a month for Netflix to have what I want when I want, and for the most part, not having to go onto a waiting list to see something.

I hate the fact that we carry them, they have no place in a library in my opinion.

But I'm always curious as to what other libraries are doing.

#67 Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnick

I've read a handful of books about Americans in France and have just loved them. This book, about a young family who moves to Paris before the millennium, was not one of those that I loved.

Some of the essays were lovely, and he often has a great turn of phrase. But too many other times, reading the essays was like watching paint dry, and it started to seem like he just liked the sound of his own typing.

Disappointed.

So, I don't normally read.. but I am interested to read Maureen McCormick's new book so I just ordered it off Amazon :reject:

I am now nearing 100 pages into McCarthy's THE ROAD and am completely immersed in it. It's the first I've read of his work, and everything about it has reeled me in. The story, the style, the coldness and darkness of the subject matter interspersed with "the man's" momentary warm memories, the relationship between the father and son.

I'll try to finish it tonight.

Yeah, I plowed through that one.

Been meaning to pick up Blood Meridian, but haven't yet.

Unfortunately, looks like the film adaptation of The Road has been pushed back to 2009.

GAF finally gets something right.

GAF, The Road and No Country for Old Men are departures of a sort for MCarthy. The bulk of his earlier work focuses on life, during different time periods but none anywhere near this decade, on the Texas/Mexico border, and are not as dialogue driven as the two books mentioned above. All are great, though, or so I believe.

Laz, I think you'll really like Blood Meridian.

Just now finished it. Wow. I've never read a novel quite like it, and probably never will. I actually feel like I might look at the world a little differently today after reading it. That's a weird thing to say but, yeah, you know what I mean right?

Anyway, I kept waiting for the apocalypse to be explained and it never was. But all that does is add to the darkness and the mystery of the book. A very sad ending, but also strangely touching and uplifting. I reread the last 20 pages or so immediately after I finished it. One passage of dialogue in particular near the end was pulling on my heartstrings big time.

Now speaking about the upcoming film adaptation, I'm not quite sure how successful it will be. It certainly won't top the book, and I think it'll take a director with a reallllly strong vision and strong connection to the story to make it come together. I do think that Vitto Morgenstern (I'll give you a million dollars if you name that reference) is inspired casting as The Man. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

But the question is...are you carrying the fire?

Yeah, there was some back and forth about this book in some other thread.....the ending just left me....I don't know......drained? I didn't know how to feel, really. I actually finished it while waiting for my car to be serviced at Santa Monica Toyota on Sepulveda, just sitting in their waiting room staring at the service bays, it was odd.

Glad you liked it, and, you should mine McCarthy's work, there's a lot of great stuff there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom