Random Music Talk XXII: GAF, Hitman of Shitty Opening Acts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to some honeyhoney right now, I feel like I'm the only one that knows this sweet little band.

VS086.jpg

I listened to it. It was kind of nifty, but got too repetitive by about 3/4ths into it.

Edit: ... but 10 minutes later I kind of want to listen to it again.

I'm listening to Of Montreal for the first time (False Priest). There's something about it I quite like, and yet there's something about it I'm finding really annoying.

That title suddenly reminds me of the "South Park" show I saw last night where Cartman started that Christian rock band. Hilarious episode, that one.

I'll probably be in the extreme minority here, but the moment that stands out to me most strongly from Funeral is her vocal on "In the Backseat." And I think that she completely steals The Suburbs on "Sprawl II." The vocal performances in those songs are laden with emotion. She may not be as technically gifted as some other female vocalists out there, but her investment in the songs is always striking to me.

That's one of my favorite songs off that album. It's so heartbreaking, so resigned. I love the line, "My family tree's losing all its leaves"-like you said, the way she sings that just really hits at the point of the song, she sounds kinda childlike there, which works in that instance. It sounds sort of Bjork-ish, to me, her voice, and that song. Course, I'm basing this view off of the handful of Bjork songs I know.

Funeral is the only Arcade Fire album I've heard in full. I've heard a couple songs off of Neon Bible (and liked them), and nothing thus far off of The Suburbs. Any specific songs off of there I should investigate?

Regarding the lengthy hair band/'80s cheese-type bands discussion, I know far too much of that stuff. I've grown up with a lot of people who listen to it. A few songs here and there are all right, good for a party or night with friends or whatever (I like "Pour Some Sugar On Me". It's a really goofy, stupid song, yes, but it's so catchy), but yeah, it's not a genre I'm all that into, personally. Mainly because so many of the guys from the hair bands come off as obnoxious douches.

I really, really love that song. I've been getting into his stuff quite a bit in recent months. Unfortunately, I live in a town that has really sucky CD options a lot of the time, so sometime soon I'll probably have to start hunting around on Amazon or something for more of his work.

Anyone heard his latest yet, National Ransom? This has to be my favorite song off it, I love the music in it:
YouTube - Elvis Costello Jimmie Standing In The Rain (National Ransom) with download link!!!

Angela

National Ransom kind of flew under the radar, though it did make for an awesome duet between Elvis and Stephen Colbert, :up:.

Funeral is the only Arcade Fire album I've heard in full. I've heard a couple songs off of Neon Bible (and liked them), and nothing thus far off of The Suburbs. Any specific songs off of there I should investigate?

I think that The Suburbs has three stellar tracks: Sprawl II, We Used to Wait, and Ready to Start. I would begin with them.

I feel the same way about We Used to Wait. I haven't cried in years, but watching that damn video nearly changed that. It's really an oddly emotional song.

The album itself makes me want to cry when I think about all of the stuff I used to do with my friends as a kid.

It's like I've said before, I'd like to go into detail about what that album means to me, but (forgive me for sounding a bit pretentious btw) it's impossible to share all of the memories that the album conjures up in me. And to do so and do them justice? :shrug:

The album itself makes me want to cry when I think about all of the stuff I used to do with my friends as a kid.

It's like I've said before, I'd like to go into detail about what that album means to me, but (forgive me for sounding a bit pretentious btw) it's impossible to share all of the memories that the album conjures up in me. And to do so and do them justice? :shrug:

That's the value of powerful music. It becomes so personal that it is ineffable.

What I just typed almost sounds like a Thomas Aquinas argument, so I think that I just trumped you in terms of pretension. :wink:

:therethere:

I can't decide if it's my favorite album of the year or not. I know my current pick for #1 is ridiculous, but I really do live it :(.

I know that feeling. Absolutely. It's one of the reasons I love music so much.

iron yuppie, thanks for the recommendations, I'll give them a listen here at some point :). I'll also check out this Autre Ne Veut stuff posted here, too.

Angela

I didn't like it that much, but the funny thing is, it's the third time I've started the album, but the other two times I got interrupted about one track into it and never got a chance to go back. Those first two times though, I wasn't liking what I was hearing at all, but this time I was all into it. I guess it's just frame of mind, sometimes you're going to like something other times you're not. Warpaint caught me at the right moment.

Good shit. AOTY. Did you like any of the songs?
I said this in my brief review: most of her songs feel too samey. There were, what, 14 tracks on the album? There were only a couple that really jumped out at me, and those were the ones where she broke out the electric guitar. Those ones were nice. Better than Revenge stood out for that reason.

Nothing about it really to dislike, though I think her lyrics are pretty weak (don't hate me), so it's not bad by any means, there's just not much there I'd return to.

I disagree. Better Than Revenge is crap imo: rock doesn't wear well on her. The ballads on Fearless were a major weak point, but they have improved exponentially and stand out as strong points now. Innocent and Enchanted :up:

It's not even that Better than Revenge was great, it just was nice that she changed it up. None of the ballads did much for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom