Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows discussion ***SPOILERS!!!***

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I finished the book this morning around 1 am.

The first thing that I will say is that I am very surprised at how emotional I was throughout the book. I am not a very emotional person, but I realized that I have come to really care about the characters and the world that Rowling has created. I was shocked and deeply saddened by each and every loss. I literally had to put the book down when Fred died. I just couldn't believe it.

I also realized that my reason for loving the HP series has changed. When I read the first few books, I was hooked on the wonder of it all - the innocent exploration of a world that was so fresh and new even while it was old and familiar. As I read through the last book - that broke away from the HP formula so greatly - I realized that I was reading not for a new 'wow' but because I genuinely wanted the characters to survive and be happy. Although I thought she could have easily cut 200 pages from the book by cutting out some of the superfluous conversations - I found myself grateful that she didn't.

I will say that I thought the story itself was weak. It lacked the pace and plotting that the other books in the series contained, but I thought that Rowling really made up for that through her ability to communicate the cost of evil - a price that we all pay - if not with our lives then through the grief of lost innocence.

When I finally closed the book, I was struck that I had two 'desires': 1. I wanted to be a better person. To live in a way that somehow 'honored' other people and 2. that I wanted deeper relationships. I thought she did a marvelous job writing a story of friends and family.

While I thought the epilogue could have done a few different things, I thought it was great. I really appreciate that she didn't tell us what everyone was doing. What happened to everyone. Now I can imagine what happened to all of my favorite characters.

Well, that is probably too much thought to put into a 'children's book', but I really, really enjoyed the ride and will forever be indebted to Mrs. Rowling for the world she created and the story she produced.

PlaTheGreat said:

:up:

Even though I never really like the Harry/Ginny relationship because it moved so quickly in the 6th book. It felt like they dated for a week before it ended. But I can live with it. I was never a shipper for anybody in the first place.

yeah same here... i dunno as a character i just never cared much about ginny, honestly :shrug: i kinda like the idea of harry/hermione but where would that leave poor ron? But generally I've never been much of a shipper either, so I'm not upset about any of the relationships. they're fine.

and i'm sorry guys but nothing is gonna prevent horrible fanfiction...someone somewhere is rewriting their own ending in which draco and harry get married and start their own wizarding school or something :lol:

major_panic said:
Could have been dealt with a LOT better, but still a bloody fantastic end to the series. It's been a long time coming, and that ridiculously gigantic battle of Hogwarts was what I think we all wanted. (Good luck to those who've gotta make that movie).

It'll be like the very last episode of Little House on the Prairie - when they blow the town up so no one else could use the set later for cheesy westerns or other shows.

HAHAHA:lol:

Justin24 said:
How I wish I did this first.

Why? What pleasure could you possibly gain out of spoiling the book for a bunch of kids, like those dickheads did? It's weak.

GibsonGirl said:

Why? What pleasure could you possibly gain out of spoiling the book for a bunch of kids, like those dickheads did? It's weak.

More like teach them a leason about patience and there are more important things in this world than a kid who flies on a broom and goes on adventures.

More like teach them a lesson that there are jerkwads in the world who get their kicks out of denying others a simple pleasue.

Kids will learn your suggested lessons on their own. They don't need your help.

And hey - whatever it is that YOU get excited about? There are more important things in the world than that, too.

What they did was harmless fun. It wont stop the people from reading the book and plus remember they did say alot of false stories were going around so no one knows for sure, even though we know the parts they talked about were true. Do you know whats more important than Harry Potter? Going to visit another country, which is where I am going in a few days, my family, that they all stay healthy and well. A hype for a book that will give little pleasure for a few days is that really important?

Justin24 said:
What they did was harmless fun. It wont stop the people from reading the book and plus remember they did say alot of false stories were going around so no one knows for sure, even though we know the parts they talked about were true. Do you know whats more important than Harry Potter? Going to visit another country, which is where I am going in a few days, my family, that they all stay healthy and well. A hype for a book that will give little pleasure for a few days is that really important?

"Harmless fun"? Yeah, upsetting people on purpose is toooootally fun. Whoo-hoo! :|

And yes, I do know plenty of things that are more important than Harry Potter, thank you very much.

The point is not understanding what's important in life, Justin. The point is purposefully being mean and hurtful. Anyone who says that's fun is making a rather big statement about the kind of person they are.

I understand being annoyed with or tired of all the media hype. But is that the kids' fault? Let them have their fun.

Justin24 said:

More like teach them a leason about patience and there are more important things in this world than a kid who flies on a broom and goes on adventures.

Yes. There are loads of things that are more important than children who are interested in reading. Like wasting the whole day posting pointless YouTube links. :drool:

GibsonGirl said:

Yes. There are loads of things that are more important than children who are interested in reading. Like wasting the whole day posting pointless YouTube links. :drool:

Nothing wrong with reading but to create such a huge hysteria for it???

Ok let's stop. I apologize for my comments about this being fun spreading the word on the ending of the book and the character kill offs.:wink:

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

"Harmless fun"? Yeah, upsetting people on purpose is toooootally fun. Whoo-hoo! :|

And it's really fun when you go to the movies and have the little brats or teen brats ruining a movie watching experince cause they can't stop texting or talking to their friends??

Any ways Coria read my above post.
:wink:

Justin24 said:
Do you know whats more important than Harry Potter? Going to visit another country, which is where I am going in a few days, my family, that they all stay healthy and well. A hype for a book that will give little pleasure for a few days is that really important?

What an absolutely ignorant thing to say. Like no one will be reading the Harry Potter books in a few days.

Or in future generations.

It's literature.

It's going to be around for a very, very, very, very, very long time.

Longer than you, in fact.

I love literature.

I completely understand being tired of and annoyed by the media hype. But is that the kids' fault? Hardly. Turn off your TV or get off the internet for a while. Don't try and ruin people's fun.

Justin24 said:
And it's really fun when you go to the movies and have the little brats or teen brats ruining a movie watching experince cause they can't stop texting or talking to their friends??

Any ways Coria read my above post.
:wink:

Yeah, I read it. I can't let this one go, though.

What do annoying people in a movie theater have to do with Harry Potter hype or ruining endings?

bonosgirl84 said:

What an absolutely ignorant thing to say. Like no one will be reading the Harry Potter books in a few days.

Or in future generations.

It's literature.

It's going to be around for a very, very, very, very, very long time.

Longer than you, in fact.

I love literature.

I love literature also, don't get me wrong. And If you read my post above hello I apologized.

corianderstem said:

Yeah, I read it. I can't let this one go, though.

What do annoying people in a movie theater have to do with Harry Potter hype or ruining endings?

They cause a nusance, but we already covered that. So let's just drop it.

Justin24 said:

Nothing wrong with reading but to create such a huge hysteria for it??? Tell me what do you do on here and post that is pointless? The next concert your going to or maybe getting aroused over Bono pics???

Ok let's stop. I apologize for my comments about this being fun spreading the word on the ending of the book and the character kill offs.:wink:

Your apology would have sounded more sincere had you not posted those insults above it. I don't buy it, Justin. :) You should be thankful that there is hype and hysteria surrounding these books. It means that kids are excited to read. In the era of the computer, the Internet and satellite TV, the number of kids who enjoy reading for the pleasure of reading is steadily dwindling. And dickheads like you would ruin that excitement for a few laughs. Pitiful. Absolutely pitiful.

Of course they cause a nuisance, but it has nothing to do with Harry Potter, giving away spoilers, or media hype!

Whatever.

Your apology came too late - I was already riled up. :wink:

Oh, I see you edited your post, Justin. As they say, all bullies are cowards. :lol:

GibsonGirl said:

Your apology would have sounded more sincere had you not posted those insults above it. I don't buy it, Justin. :) You should be thankful that there is hype and hysteria surrounding these books. It means that kids are excited to read. In the era of the computer, the Internet and satellite TV, the number of kids who enjoy reading for the pleasure of reading is steadily dwindling. And dickheads like you would ruin that excitement for a few laughs. Pitiful. Absolutely pitiful.

Gibson I edited the comment cause I misread your previous statement. Well Kids should be encouraged to read period even if there was no HP. Am I right or wrong?

GibsonGirl said:
Oh, I see you edited your post, Justin. As they say, all bullies are cowards. :lol:

I am no Coward. In fact you and I are both bullies for insulting each other.:wink:

corianderstem said:
Of course they cause a nuisance, but it has nothing to do with Harry Potter, giving away spoilers, or media hype!

Whatever.

Your apology came too late - I was already riled up. :wink:
:sad: :flirt:

Justin, I hope when you have kids, they absolutely go crazy for Harry Potter, just to torture you. :wink:

corianderstem said:
Justin, I hope when you have kids, they absolutely go crazy for Harry Potter, just to torture you. :wink:

I bet they will and that Karma will come to bite me in the ass. LOL and If were still around posting on the board I will let you laugh at me. LOL

I knew the spoilers before the release of the book, but I never ruined it for anyone cause I knew it would be fucked up if I did. My older brother loves the HP books and I even went to go buy the last one for him as an early birthday gift.

Justin24 said:

Gibson I edited the comment cause I misread your previous statement. Well Kids should be encouraged to read period even if there was no HP. Am I right or wrong?

It didn't come off sounding that way, so I still don't buy it.

And the point is, before Harry Potter came around, there wasn't really anything out there that was capturing kids' imaginations. I was always an extremely avid reader when I was young, but when I first picked up a Harry Potter book at the age of 12, it was like stumbling upon a whole new world I wished I could be a part of. I always wanted more, so I took it upon myself to write stories involving new adventures for Harry Potter and his friends. Those books encouraged me to embrace the joy of writing. I had already discovered the joy of reading long before they came around. I probably owe my English minor to Harry Potter.

Oh, but I should have been spending my time on something more important.

I've already said elsewhere my feelings on those who wished to spoil the books. I can see how tempting it would be. Let's make all the nerds cry about Harry Potter, ha ha. Heck if it were Star Wars or something like that, I'd laugh along too.

But this isn't an adult themed book. Children are the main target. It's the kids who are waiting in line at midnight with their parents, eager to read a book that has taken a large chunk of their lives to be released. There's nothing like "being taken to a dream world of magic" for kids. It's an escape.
Adults can definitely get mad about the books being spoiled, but we can read the books so fast that it really won't cause much of a difference. Think about the kids who will take weeks, possibly even months to get to a death scene. It's not right.

Everyone has something nerdy that they get into. Imagine going to a movie that you've been dying to see for ages only to have some guy on a megahorn standing outside telling you every little thing that happens.
Fuck, man, I get annoyed when people just whisper things as they happen in a movie theater.

All it is is consideration, which looks a lot like the word "corianderstem", so there ya go. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom