For Cat Lovers Only II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone. My kitties say thanks especially. ;) In fact Tihama's dribbling near the keyboard. For some reason, she always drools when she's in a good mood. Vet says it's completely normal, but it certainly is messy.

Poor Chloe! The gauze looks a little like those ruffled shirts from the 60s in that picture. It's cute.

GibsonGirl said:
For some reason, she always drools when she's in a good mood. Vet says it's completely normal, but it certainly is messy.

:lol: We had a cat that drooled, especially if you put anything with catnip in it in front of her.

Sicy said:

:lol: We had a cat that drooled, especially if you put anything with catnip in it in front of her.

Heh!

The drooling thing is very strange. I kind of wish she wouldn't do it. Often, if I'm lying on my stomach reading, she'll sit on the lower portion of my back and knead my shoulders. It's so nice, like having a kitty masseuse. Only problem is, once she really gets into it and starts purring away, I'll feel a cold splash on my neck!

GibsonGirl said:

Heh!

The drooling thing is very strange. I kind of wish she wouldn't do it. Often, if I'm lying on my stomach reading, she'll sit on the lower portion of my back and knead my shoulders. It's so nice, like having a kitty masseuse. Only problem is, once she really gets into it and starts purring away, I'll feel a cold splash on my neck!

:lol:

my daughter was searching for an image online for homework, and she came across this

sleeping.jpg

:cute: :cute: :cute:

Cassidy looks so sweet! My cats love boxes too. :) They actually like anything they can climb into. I once found Najran trying to squeeze his fat head into my laptop case. He somehow managed to do it and ended up sitting inside the case for close to half an hour before he decided it was terribly uncomfortable. :lol:

Yep, Cassidy is really curious like that as well. Say if a door is open that usually isn't she'll take full advantage. I found her way up on the top shelf of the linen closet once having a snooze. I have no idea how she got up there as she needed my help to get down :giggle:

Despite the full moon and storm that is here today she isn't very crazy, yet. I imagine that will come tonight ;)

I don't fucking believe this!

OK, long story....so I made Melissa quit with the meds for Eden over a week ago. She got all bloated, severly dehydrated, stopped eating, and wouldn't move. Since then, her condition has not improved. Melissa took her back to the crazy vet today (because the crazy vet is treating her for free since it's her own damn fault the cat is suffering like this). I just got an e-mail from Melissa as follows:

Some bad news about Eden today. The vet said she had a virus from before we
got her at Crash's. She said there was no cure and no symptoms until her
bloated stomach, the lathargy and loss of appetite. She had Eden under
sedation and called me for the ok to put her down. So Eden will not be
coming back. The scary thing is I don't know if it's possible for the other
cats to get it. I emailed her but she hasn't answered back. I also want to
make her give me a refund because her cat died on me but I doubt that will
happen. So I just wanted to let everyone know what happened.

I'm assuming she's referring to some kind of cat distemper. Fortunately, like most NORMAL cat lovers, all of my other cats have been sheltered in sterile environments and are up to date on distemper shots. But, I'm still really pissed off. Could a good vet really have no idea that the cat was infected? I suppose it's her loss since she had the cat living with over 200 other cats and lord knows how she could possibly be up to date on their vaccinations and medical conditions.

I guess Eden is gone. At least I got to say goodbye this morning. I'm pretty relieved because she's only gone downhill since we adopted her, despite us seeing several different vets and treating her for two other infections she came home with (UTI and cold). I feel bad b/c in hindsight, I should've known it would be something like distemper. She's always walked funny, been very un-catlike, and responded negatively to being carried or lifted.

We were thinking of asking for a new cat for free since we paid $75 for Eden and paid a lot more than that to be treating her for infections they insisted she didn't have, but the whole experience with that place has sucked so I guess we're back down to three for a while. Here we thought we'd do the good thing and adopt the adult, mother cat. I'm sticking to kittens from now on!

Wow, I dont even know what to say. :| I want to cry and then kill someone after reading this.

I would NOT get another cat from this shelter, I dont care if its free. It is not worth the risks. This shelter should be reported, at the least.

Distemper is HIGHLY contagious if this is what it is. All the cats in the house that have come in contact with Eden need to be checked out and the entire house needs to be scrubbed with a bleach solution (from what I have read, you may want to confirm and do some research).

What a sad heartbreaking ending to this poor innocent cats life.. that could have been avoided.

Just got off the phone with my vet - they said my cats should be fine since Beckham had a shot in August and Posh in October. Max hasn't been to the vet yet since we've had him for less than a year, but I believe he was done in June (Melissa ran off with the cats' medical history folder). They said I could bleach all their stuff, but it would only be necessary if we got a kitten before it was old enough to be vaccinated. I'll probably do it next week, just start over with the litter boxes, wash all the toys and bowls and bleach the rugs she peed on.

I feel so bad for Eden. I'm not exactly sad she'd dead, because she was in such terrible condition and only getting worse, it's probably better this way, but I wish I would've caught on sooner. Ah well, hindsight's always 20/20. :tsk:

Last edited:
I'm hoping it was distemper since then the others are cleared. If it was leukemia, I will kill someone because her records say she was negative and I don't vaccinate my cats for that (with their lifestyle, it makes getting complications from the vaccine more likely than getting leukemia).

Honestly I would hold off on getting any new cats for a while.

I hope your babies are ok.

:(.

I'm sorry Liv.

I can't help but think of the other 200 cats that crazy vet lady's shelter has. Who knows how many of them are sick - and some of them were probably adopted out to other homes like Eden.

I think if it had been leukemia, you would have seen the symptoms a lot sooner. Years ago, my parents bought a kitten from a breeder, and we found out about a week later that it had leukemia (kitten was always very lethargic from the first day we had her). You guys have had Eden for a few months right?

Last edited:
I tried to call Melissa's vet, but their stupid fucking phone keeps going to a fax machine and no one's answering. They owe me a very good explanation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom