cute dog thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beagles :cute:

Here's Penny as a puppy nearly 11 years ago:

penster6wh.gif

Aww, Coco looks so at home in the snow...

Anyone else find that their dog absolutely hates those snow boots for keeping ice out of their paws? Our pug is too old nowadays to be outdoors long enough to need them, but it used to be just hilarious watching his reaction to having them put on--he'd arch his back, splay all four legs out as if he were walking on skis, snort loudly and indignantly, then avenge himself once we got him outside by repeatedly slipping his collar (pugs excel at that on account of all those skin folds).

yolland said:
Aww, Coco looks so at home in the snow...

Anyone else find that their dog absolutely hates those snow boots for keeping ice out of their paws? Our pug is too old nowadays to be outdoors long enough to need them, but it used to be just hilarious watching his reaction to having them put on--he'd arch his back, splay all four legs out as if he were walking on skis, snort loudly and indignantly, then avenge himself once we got him outside by repeatedly slipping his collar (pugs excel at that on account of all those skin folds).

I think your pug must be related to Coco, at least attitude-wise. :wink: She's acted the same way when I've tried to put little dog sweaters and coats on her. She gets highly offended, and won't move, while looking me straight in the eye. Needless to say, I've given up on trying to keep her warm. I've never tried boots, but I can only imagine the turmoil those would bring...I should try it for my own amusement!

Actually, it's funny that you mention them, because she had 'frozen paw issues' for the first time in her five years just yesterday. When we went for a walk, the temperature was hovering just around freezing, and it was very slushy. Every so often, she'd lift her paw up and curl it towards her. It took me a while to catch on, but I eventually picked her up and warmed her paws with my hands. She normally loves the outside, however, and craves walks and hikes. Whenever I mention "leash" or "walk" she'll instantly bolt around the house in mad circles...it's really something to see.

I took some pics at the in-laws this weekend. This is my husband and his 10 year old ASCOB Cocker Spaniel Sammy.

He was trying to hide b/c he was going to get his ears cleaned (he has a yeast infection in his ears)
In-laws%20001.jpg

In-laws%20002.jpg

In-laws%20003.jpg

The cocker is not really my type of dog, but he is cute and pretty well behaved. This is my uncle's dog Della. She's more my style :D

Della%20004.jpg

Della%20003.jpg

Della%20002.jpg

photo29.jpg

photo28.jpg

She's a great dog. Not a house pet for sure (she tried to eat my cats), but she does her jobs (retrieving and doing patrol) extremely well.

:lol: Well, Sammy is cropped but you can't tell from the pics. He's got a little bob-tail that's always wagging. Personally, I prefer tails unless there's a compelling reason for having it docked (like an injury or Happy Tail, or the terriers and gun dogs like Sammy that have longer hair and are required to move lower to the ground through thorns and thick brush).

Liesje said:
:lol: Well, Sammy is cropped but you can't tell from the pics. He's got a little bob-tail that's always wagging. Personally, I prefer tails unless there's a compelling reason for having it docked (like an injury or Happy Tail, or the terriers and gun dogs like Sammy that have longer hair and are required to move lower to the ground through thorns and thick brush).

Do you know why some dogs tails are docked (besides the ones you mentioned)? I have no idea why aussies are. But yeah, that little stub wag is the cutest!

Here is Bailey again, sleeping like a baby.

IMG_0913.jpg

redhotswami said:

Do you know why some dogs tails are docked (besides the ones you mentioned)? I have no idea why aussies are. But yeah, that little stub wag is the cutest!

Here is Bailey again, sleeping like a baby.

IMG_0913.jpg

He's so pretty!! I've never been a huge Aussie fan, but they are really growing on me and the ones with brown variations like Bailey are my fave.

I'm not sure why Aussies are normally docked. It's probably because a long time ago, someone decided to dock them, and they've been docked every since. Now, if they were left undocked, it would be unclear as to how to judge the tails, since the tail has always been docked and the breed standard doesn't take it into account. Does that make sense? The breeders have worked for a long time to get the perfect dogs, in appearance, function, and genetics, and since they've never bred for tails, they wouldn't be able to control it and ensure the tail is without genetic defect (if it's possible).

My guess is maybe they were originally docked because of their longer hair get caught in things. However, it has always surprised me that a herding dog would have a docked tail since tails help with balance and agility. Border collies also have longer hair, move even lower to the ground than Aussies, and keep their tails, so I'm not sure what function the docked tail has for a herding dog. Like Borders, Aussies excel at agility, so apparently they docked tail isn't a hindrance. As long as it's done properly (it must be done when they are newborns, before they fully develop their nerves, so it won't hurt), I guess it's just part of being an Aussie!

Last edited:
Liesje said:

He's so pretty!! I've never been a huge Aussie fan, but they are really growing on me and the ones with brown variations like Bailey are my fave.

I'm not sure why Aussies are normally docked. It's probably because a long time ago, someone decided to dock them, and they've been docked every since. Now, if they were left undocked, it would be unclear as to how to judge the tails, since the tail has always been docked and the breed standard doesn't take it into account. Does that make sense? The breeders have worked for a long time to get the perfect dogs, in appearance, function, and genetics, and since they've never bred for tails, they wouldn't be able to control it and ensure the tail is without genetic defect (if it's possible).

My guess is maybe they were originally docked because of their longer hair get caught in things. However, it has always surprised me that a herding dog would have a docked tail since tails help with balance and agility. Border collies also have longer hair, move even lower to the ground than Aussies, and keep their tails, so I'm not sure what function the docked tail has for a herding dog. Like Borders, Aussies excel at agility, so apparently they docked tail isn't a hindrance. As long as it's done properly (it must be done when they are newborns, before they fully develop their nerves, so it won't hurt), I guess it's just part of being an Aussie!

Aww thanks!! He is a Red Merle, but he was the first one I've ever seen. Buster, my other, was a Blue Merle. I love the Merles, and I love Led Zeppelin, so :lol: I always want Merles so I can sing Bron y Aur Stomp to them. :nerd:

That's why I asked, beacuse you're right, the other herding dogs have tails. So...I you're probably right, back in the day somebody probably thought it looked hot, and people stuck with it. So now it has carried on.

Thanks for the info though! You were more helpful than Bailey. I tried asking him and he burped.

BonosBaby12 said:
Omgggggggggggg I have fallen in love!!!!!! :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute:

Pla Im so sorry about your 1st beagle :hug: Know that had to be really hard on you :(

It was. I waited so long for a dog and she was barely 2 years old when I lost her. My dad cried so hard that he bought Penny 2 weeks later because we couldn't deal with her empty bed. :(

noname7kd.jpg

This was the photo we used for the Lost Dog flyer.

=======

So many cute beagles on this page!! Let's rename this thread to the "cute beagle thread"
:macdevil:

I love dogs so much. This morning I was sitting in traffic and a black and white collie mix jumped out of a car window and in front of my tire. I was already stopped but I leaned out my window and called him over. He immediately sat down and let me pet him until his owner came running over to collect him. He was very cute. :cute:

PlaTheGreat said:

It was. I waited so long for a dog and she was barely 2 years old when I lost her. My dad cried so hard that he bought Penny 2 weeks later because we couldn't deal with her empty bed. :(

noname7kd.jpg

This was the photo we used for the Lost Dog flyer.

=======

So many cute beagles on this page!! Let's rename this thread to the "cute beagle thread"
:macdevil:

I love dogs so much. This morning I was sitting in traffic and a black and white collie mix jumped out of a car window and in front of my tire. I was already stopped but I leaned out my window and called him over. He immediately sat down and let me pet him until his owner came running over to collect him. He was very cute. :cute:

Awwwwww that's so incredibly sad :sad: She was such a beautiful dog!

I had a beagle once named Pani who ran away right before I left for a trip to FL one summer. When I returned home I found out that a local farmer had found her lying on the side of the road. Some jerk hit her and just kept going :mad: To this day I still miss her a lot :sad:

Btw I 2nd the notion for "Cute Beagle Thread" What a brilliant idea! :evil:

Dog's are the best! :love:

And for the hard working, yet pampered pooch -- Dog Beer! :)

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - After a long day hunting, there's nothing like wrapping your paw around a cold bottle of beer. So Terrie Berenden, a pet shop owner in the southern Dutch town of Zelhem, created a beer for her Weimaraners made from beef extract and malt.

"Once a year we go to Austria to hunt with our dogs, and at the end of the day we sit on the verandah and drink a beer. So we thought, my dog also has earned it," she said.

Berenden consigned a local brewery to make and bottle the nonalcoholic beer, branded as Kwispelbier. It was introduced to the market last week and advertised it as "a beer for your best friend."

"Kwispel" is the Dutch word for wagging a tail.

The beer is fit for human consumption, Berenden said. But at euro1.65 ($2.14) a bottle, it's about four times more expensive than a Heineken.

My heeler Zeke sometimes likes a sip of regular beer, so I bet he'd love this stuff. :lol:

little3stooges.jpg

These are my 3 little stooges. :love: From the left: Pepper, 13; Sprout, 4mos (when this was taken in late summer); and Chance, 10. Pepper & Chance are Miniature Pinschers; Sprout's supposed to be Min Pin & we're certain his mother was (he's a rescue) but his Daddy's lineage is questionable! :lol:

Doesn't matter, Mr. Blu & I love 'em just the same. :heart: :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom