MERGED ----> Fun thread - What the f*** are they doing?! + Another Thread Like That

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another U2 nut! said:
:
band_93.jpg

Edge mumbles to Adam and Larry: Oh hell how embarrassing. Just look away while Bono does his thing *sigh*

just out of curiousity, what was that "bird" for? Anyone know?

Merc said:
339%3B8%3A%3A%3B23232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3B27%3D664%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B4744696ot1lsi

^^
Bono: How often do I have to tell you this, Edge?! :tsk: You know I'm the only one in the band who's allowed to walk around with my shirt unbuttoned! :shame:

Edge: But... but... :sigh:

Bono: No! The answer is NO - I'll button your shirt then! We don't want all the poor PLEBA-girls to go totally crazy, do we?! Thats why we need to button your shirt - they're crazy enough as it is!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Merc said:
339%3B8%3A%3A%3B23232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3B27%3D664%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B4743276ot1lsi

^^
Edge (Thinking) : Hmm - this is strange... I really feel like I've forgotten something, but what can it be?! :confused: I've got my pants on, my wife beside me and I did remember the gift for Pavarotti... :hmm: OH NOOO! :ohmy: My beanie!!! :uhoh: I FORGOT MY BEANIE!!! :sad:

Morleigh: Oh, don't worry, honey, you look fine without it. Very handsome.
Edge: Really?
Morleigh: Absolutely. Um... can you step back a bit? Your head is shining in my eyes.

:evil:

Moonlit_Angel said:
He's Danish, too? Wow. I didn't realize there were so many famous Danish people!

Well, his dad is danish and he's been living in Denmark for a couple of years, so... :wink: Actually, Denmark is a country full of famous ppl :lol: Just name someone famuos with a strange name and I bet he or she is danish!!! :D

Moonlit_Angel said:
Cool. What ones particularly stick out for you?

Well, some of the things I remember is seeing ppl climbing over the Berlin-wall and cars filled with very happy ppl driving from east- to west-Berlin (of course, at that time I didn't know what was east- and west-Berlin and the difference between then...). I remember seeing pictures taken from the air of the exploted Chernobyl nuclear power-plant... Pictures of the pavement in Stockholm, filled with blood, where the swedish prime minister was killed... but one of the tv-images that really has stayed in my mind and made a lasting impression is from the huge fire on a danish/norwegian ferry called "Scandianvian star" (that must have been in the late 80's or maybe in 1990...). It was awful - so many ppl got killed... and after the fire they dragged the wreck to the habour in Copenhagen, so accidently I got to see it there too.. but I don't think you've ever heard of that?!

Moonlit_Angel said:
LOL, aw, that's awesome! A nice little piece of family history for future generations to check out.

Yeah, I'm so glad she wrote it!!!

Moonlit_Angel said:
It is funny to see how people react when in foreign lands. I remember reading about similar things happening to Bono when he was on his heartland tour in 2002-there was a part in his journal entries where he'd stopped at a restaurant, and he was like, "They call it a Dairy Queen". I thought that was cute.

It's funny - I think that USA will always be something exciting and different for us europeans whenever we visit, 1950's or 2002 - it doesn't really matter...

Moonlit_Angel said:
I also remember a friend of mine, Sara, who got to go with the rest of the school band to Austria in middle school, and she got a kick out of the way they pronounced words that started with a "w" over there.

... and it goes the other way around as well. Americans visiting Europe - americans will notice things that we think is normal and doesn't really pay attention too... Sometimes - especially in the summer (there's so many american tourists at that time of year) - it can be so funny to watch the american tourists here in Copenhagen, when they see all our old buildings and things like that...

Moonlit_Angel said:
Also, in regards to the time machine...I am more than happy to stop and visit early 80s and early 90s Bono, too. Mmhm.

Oh yeah - we'll deffinately make a stop in the early 80's and early 90's! :wink:

Will be back late with some more pics - have to study for tomorrow now! My homework for tomorrow is "The reproductive system"! :lol:

Originally posted by Merc
Well, some of the things I remember is seeing ppl climbing over the Berlin-wall and cars filled with very happy ppl driving from east- to west-Berlin (of course, at that time I didn't know what was east- and west-Berlin and the difference between then...).

Cool! Tell me more!

Last edited:
Okay, here we go again... :D Btw, I find it a bit funny that all of these pics are from Bono's tour around Africa with Paul O'Neill - Oh, well... :wink:

339%3B9%3A8323232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3B27%3D664%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B474%3B946ot1lsi

^^
Bono: The name is Bono... B-O-N-O!!!

339%3B9%3A8323232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3B27%3D664%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B474%3B948ot1lsi

^^
Paul O'Neill: ... and, as usual, I did all the work - this man is only with me because he's famous...

Bono: What the f...?!

339%3B9%3A8323232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3B27%3D664%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B474%3B949ot1lsi

^^
Okay - his expression in this pic is just hilarious - it doesn't need a text!!! :lmao:

Last edited:
339%3B9%3A8323232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3B27%3D664%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B474%3B94%3Aot1lsi

^^
Bono: ... and then the one tomato says to the other: Catch up!!!

Paul O'Neill: :lol: (Thinking: Okay I still don't get this! Is this man supposed to be funny?!)

339%3B9%3A8323232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3B27%3D664%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B474%3B94%3Bot1lsi

^^
Paul O'Neill: Oh, that's my favourite brand of tomato-sauce! I can make the worlds best lasagne with that sauce!!!

Bono: Yeah, right!!!

339%3B9%3A8323232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3B27%3D664%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B474%3B953ot1lsi

^^
Paul O'Neill: Oh Bono, no need to worry - you look great!

Bono: When I look at you, I shomehow start to doubt that!!!

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
Cool! Tell me more!

About the fall of the Berlin-wall?! The things I've already mentioned is the things I actually remember from that day in november 1989 - I was only 7 years old, so... :wink:

(Of course I've learned much more about it it ground school and high school, but these are the things I actually remember... What do you want to know?)

Oh I know all about the story of it, I mean since you lived so close to it I wanted to know what you saw or remembered when it happened, I thought that's what you were talking about!

Having grown up in that world (as U2 did, like the book said;) I graduated from high school the year before it fell) I think it's kind of weird- but good- that so many of you were so young and don't remember how scary the east/west thing was, and now will never have to because there is no more communism in Europe yay! :happy:

339%3B9%3A%3B923232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3B27%3D664%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B4%3B9546%3Aot1lsi

^^
Pavarotti: :blahblah: ....

Bono: Hmmm...

339%3B9%3A%3B923232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3B27%3D664%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B4%3B95476ot1lsi

^^
Bono... and then Pavarotti said to me :blahblah: ...

Michael Stipe: Hmmm... :D

Merc said:
Okay, here we go again... :D Btw, I find it a bit funny that all of these pics are from Bono's tour around Africa with Paul O'Neill - Oh, well... :wink:
:lol: I know these pics are not supposed to be funny,but take a look at Bono's face! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
And your captions are hilarious! :laugh:

339%3B9%3A%3B923232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3B27%3D664%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B4%3B9546%3Bot1lsi

^^
Bono: Pick me, pick me!!! I know the answer!!! :hyper:

339%3B9%3A%3B923232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3B27%3D664%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B4%3B95473ot1lsi

^^
Bono: Pick me! I still know the answer! Pick me, dammit!!! I can even sing it for you, now I got my guitar!!!

Okay - with Larry going to take motorcycle driving lessons, just imagine what would happen if Bono went back to get more (did he ever get any in the first place?! :lol: ) driving lessons...

339%3B9%3A%3B923232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3B27%3D664%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B4%3B95469ot1lsi

^^
Bono: Okay, so thats the clutch and thats the brake - and I use them for what, did you say?!

And I know you'll like this one... :wink:

339%3B9%3A%3B923232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3B27%3D664%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B4%3B95475ot1lsi

^^
Bono: Oh PLEBA-girls, will you marry me?

U2Kitten said:
Oh I know all about the story of it, I mean since you lived so close to it I wanted to know what you saw or remembered when it happened, I thought that's what you were talking about!

Oh, okay! :D Well, what I told is what I remember... :wink:

U2Kitten said:
I think it's kind of weird- but good- that so many of you were so young and don't remember how scary the east/west thing was, and now will never have to because there is no more communism in Europe yay! :happy:

:yes:

Merc said:
Well, his dad is danish and he's been living in Denmark for a couple of years, so... :wink:

Ah, I see.

Actually, Denmark is a country full of famous ppl :lol: Just name someone famuos with a strange name and I bet he or she is danish!!! :D

LOL, wow. I had no idea. :).

Well, some of the things I remember is seeing ppl climbing over the Berlin-wall and cars filled with very happy ppl driving from east- to west-Berlin (of course, at that time I didn't know what was east- and west-Berlin and the difference between then...). I remember seeing pictures taken from the air of the exploted Chernobyl nuclear power-plant... Pictures of the pavement in Stockholm, filled with blood, where the swedish prime minister was killed... but one of the tv-images that really has stayed in my mind and made a lasting impression is from the huge fire on a danish/norwegian ferry called "Scandianvian star" (that must have been in the late 80's or maybe in 1990...). It was awful - so many ppl got killed... and after the fire they dragged the wreck to the habour in Copenhagen, so accidently I got to see it there too.. but I don't think you've ever heard of that?!

No, I don't remember hearing about that. Some frightening images you've shared there. The only happy one is the Berlin one. It had to be such a relief for those people when the wall came down, I'm sure. But everything else...good god...:tsk:.

Yeah, I'm so glad she wrote it!!!

I can imagine. Perhaps someday you'll be able to do something similar (assuming you haven't been over to America before).

It's funny - I think that USA will always be something exciting and different for us europeans whenever we visit, 1950's or 2002 - it doesn't really matter...

That's cool. I'm glad you guys take an interest in our country. It really is quite an interesting place. :). Our history's not nearly as long as yours is, but it's still very fascinating to learn about. My town, for instance, is chock full of history-it dates back to before the Civil War. It'll be 150 years old this year. Lots of neat stuff to learn about here.

... and it goes the other way around as well. Americans visiting Europe - americans will notice things that we think is normal and doesn't really pay attention too... Sometimes - especially in the summer (there's so many american tourists at that time of year) - it can be so funny to watch the american tourists here in Copenhagen, when they see all our old buildings and things like that...

LOL, I can imagine it's got to be odd. I'd probably be the same way if I were to ever visit Europe.

One big reason why Americans are so fascinated by your old buildings is because we're always into tearing down older buildings and putting up new ones, there's very few old buildings that we save. So to go over to Europe and see buildings that have been around for an incredibly long time is just really interesting to us.

I really would love to visit Europe someday. From the pictures I've seen, the countries have such beautiful scenery, the history would be great to check out, and hey, it'd be great to find out more about my ancestry. :).

Oh yeah - we'll deffinately make a stop in the early 80's and early 90's! :wink:

Woohoo! :D.

Will be back late with some more pics - have to study for tomorrow now! My homework for tomorrow is "The reproductive system"! :lol:

Haha, oh, how fun!

Loved the captions. Particularly this one:

Bono: Oh PLEBA-girls, will you marry me?

Haha, yeah, I wish.

Angela

Here's the link to describe what Bono is doing in that pic I posted-he's sitting in a "sensor chair"

http://web.media.mit.edu/~joep/TTT.BO/chair.html

Here's part of the description-your science lesson for today :wink:

Four receiving antennas (B) are mounted at the verticies of a square, on poles placed in front of the chair. These pickups receive the transmitted signal with a strength that is determined by the capacitance between the performer's body and the sensor antenna. As the seated performer moves his hand forward, the intensities of these signals are thus a function of the distances between the hand and corresponding pickups. The pickup signal strengths are digitized and sent to a Macintosh computer, which estimates the hand position. A pair of pickup antennas are also mounted on the floor of the chair platform, and are used to similarly measure the proximity of left and right feet, providing a set of pedal controllers. In order for a performer to use these sensors, he must be seated in the chair, and thus coupled to the transmitting antenna. Other performers may also inject signal into the pickup antennas if they are touching the skin of the seated individual, thus becoming part of the extended antenna system. The sensor antennas are synchronously demodulated by the transmitted signal; this produces a receiver tuned precisely to the waveform broadcast through the performer's body and rejects background from other sources. Before a show, the performer moves his hand around the perimeter of the sensor range, after which a linear least-squares fit produces a calibration that gives good tracking coordinates.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Here's the link to describe what Bono is doing in that pic I posted-he's sitting in a "sensor chair"

Four receiving antennas (B) are mounted at the verticies of a square, on poles placed in front of the chair. These pickups receive the transmitted signal with a strength that is determined by the capacitance between the performer's body and the sensor antenna. As the seated performer moves his hand forward, the intensities of these signals are thus a function of the distances between the hand and corresponding pickups. The pickup signal strengths are digitized and sent to a Macintosh computer, which estimates the hand position. A pair of pickup antennas are also mounted on the floor of the chair platform, and are used to similarly measure the proximity of left and right feet, providing a set of pedal controllers. In order for a performer to use these sensors, he must be seated in the chair, and thus coupled to the transmitting antenna. Other performers may also inject signal into the pickup antennas if they are touching the skin of the seated individual, thus becoming part of the extended antenna system. The sensor antennas are synchronously demodulated by the transmitted signal; this produces a receiver tuned precisely to the waveform broadcast through the performer's body and rejects background from other sources. Before a show, the performer moves his hand around the perimeter of the sensor range, after which a linear least-squares fit produces a calibration that gives good tracking coordinates.

So basically the chair makes one into a human theremin.... sweet!

MrsSpringsteen said:

Ah, okay.

Wow. That's an odd little experiment. Kinda funny to think of Bono participating in this. :).

Angela

Back
Top Bottom