Saitama II Setlist Watch and Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just looking through U2VT's archives, checking to make sure some stuff is in order, and it's quite amazing what U2 have played - and amusing what Bono has snippeted. I just wish some of these fantastic songs would come back and see the light of day again. How the band can abandon tunes such as Wire, Last Night On Earth, and Hawkmoon 269 is just beyond me.

Also, I'm glad Kite got played a bit! Before its eight performances this tour, it was stuck on 98 performances. I'm glad it got its century! I wonder if Yahweh will return for at least two of the remaining three shows? It's now currently on 98 plays. Miracle Drug is on 97.

Axver said:

This rate of posting is actually rather slow compared to some of last year's parties. I think we had one party that ran to around 2,500-3,000 posts.
And this isn't any ordinary band. You can join, but your bass guitar has been replaced by a cross between a glockenspiel and a harmonica. No, I don't know how it works, but enjoy!

Well, you were all posting pretty fast when I started reading at 5 pages, and it blew out to 8 before I posted... and then I must have killed it cos you all stopped. :)

*inspects new bass-turned-glockenspiel/harmonica* Sweet... if I can fit a kazoo on here, it will be perfect!

*pling-hmm-zooooooo-glong!* Sounds awesome dude... Who's up for a stirring all-electric rendition of Grace? 1, 2, a-1234....

...wait, this thing is electric, isn't it?

Axver said:
I'm just looking through U2VT's archives, checking to make sure some stuff is in order, and it's quite amazing what U2 have played - and amusing what Bono has snippeted. I just wish some of these fantastic songs would come back and see the light of day again. How the band can abandon tunes such as Wire, Last Night On Earth, and Hawkmoon 269 is just beyond me.

Also, I'm glad Kite got played a bit! Before its eight performances this tour, it was stuck on 98 performances. I'm glad it got its century! I wonder if Yahweh will return for at least two of the remaining three shows? It's now currently on 98 plays. Miracle Drug is on 97.

I Got You is currently the best snippet ever, followed by Sgt. Peppers and Blackbird.

:drool: Kite. I'm so glad it made Auckland 1.

Alisaura said:

Well, you were all posting pretty fast when I started reading at 5 pages, and it blew out to 8 before I posted... and then I must have killed it cos you all stopped. :)

*inspects new bass-turned-glockenspiel/harmonica* Sweet... if I can fit a kazoo on here, it will be perfect!

*pling-hmm-zooooooo-glong!* Sounds awesome dude... Who's up for a stirring all-electric rendition of Grace? 1, 2, a-1234....

...wait, this thing is electric, isn't it?

Hehe, some of the parties last year were almost tiring, with the rate of posting. You'd make your own post, only to find 10 more had been made in the time you'd written your brief one or two sentences. Good times, though. Hopefully the Hawaii party will be a big event like that.

And the harmonispiel isn't electric, actually. It runs on water. Orange juice also does the trick, but it changes the sound a little.

coolian2 said:

I Got You is currently the best snippet ever, followed by Sgt. Peppers and Blackbird.

:drool: Kite. I'm so glad it made Auckland 1.

I Got You and Four Seasons In One Day were AWESOME. Bono's done some truly hilarious snippets in the past though, such as Girls Just Want To Have Fun and It's Raining Men. I'm not kidding.

Axver said:
How the band can abandon tunes such as Wire, Last Night On Earth, and Hawkmoon 269 is just beyond me.

I honestly think they forget their previous work, they focus so much on what they're doing in the present. The old songs they choose they choose largely based on popularity and/or what fits with certain themes.
We know OTH was played in NZ because it was about NZ. But I suspect it may have been played last night because the band sort of suddenly remembered it was a good song. I could be wrong, but I doubt they think much about those songs you mentioned.

bgmckinney said:

I honestly think they forget their previous work, they focus so much on what they're doing in the present. The old songs they choose they choose largely based on popularity and/or what fits with certain themes.
We know OTH was played in NZ because it was about NZ. But I suspect it may have been played last night because the band sort of suddenly remembered it was a good song. I could be wrong, but I doubt they think much about those songs you mentioned.

That's probably not a bad theory. I do, however, suspect Bono's dislike of rehearsals plays a large factor too. Edge or Adam may bring some ideas to the table, but I can just see "cautious" (re: boring) Larry and "rehearsals, what are those?" Bono shooting them down.

I certainly hope the band don't forget about One Tree Hill again, though. It would be lovely to see it live on beyond New Zealand's shores.

RavenBlue said:
:giggle: I remember posting at the old setlist parties and then having a ton of pages already in front of my post. Those were the days /reminscing

As long as half of Interference isn't actually AT the show, I think those days will be back for the Hawaii setlist party. :wink:

Also, I believe gorman is pretty confident of having an audio feed for that show. :drool:

adrball said:

really...i'd love to hear it.

It's from Popmart Tampa, 1997-11-10.

And the Girls Just Want To Have Fun snippet comes at the start of Angel Of Harlem, 1992-05-09, Gent.

Axver said:

As long as half of Interference isn't actually AT the show, I think those days will be back for the Hawaii setlist party. :wink:

Also, I believe gorman is pretty confident of having an audio feed for that show. :drool:

I hope the time zone isn't too conflicting for Hawaii. This one here is just about right.

Oooh an audio feed. Those are so awesome. I remember the first one, it sounded like it was through a funnel, down a toilet and yet I was still up and singing along. Can't wait to get to an actual show :wink:

Really tired tonight - was watching tv and fell asleep on the couch. Browsed thru this thread before I headed to bed.

Reminiscing about setlist parties :drool: Try eating dinner during one. It usta take me over an hour to eat a steak while posting and reading :lol: - some parties were insane :memories: I'll miss the last one, since I'll be in Hawaii with half the forum...

Looks like mrmcphisto has a source? Have fun all :wave:

Some other great snippets from the U2VT archives:

- (I Never Promised You A) Rose Garden and Don't Worry, Be Happy in Bullet The Blue Sky, 1990-01-06.
- The Neighbours Theme Song in Bullet The Blue Sky at a few Lovetown shows and at the end of New York, 2001-06-02.
- Humpty Dumpty in The Electric Co., 2005-10-24.
- Hot In Herre in Elevation, 2005-06-19.
- Smoke On The Water by a fan brought on stage during I Fall Down, 1983-11-26.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom