May 26, Fleet Center in Boston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boston 5/26 Review

WOW. A classic U2 show. Amazing crowd, great band energy. I am blown away.

Just got back. Night and day difference vs. the 1st show here.

Highlights:
-SETLIST (out of Control, WOWY, UTEOTW, OOTS, Bad)

-Bono's voice.

-Sponteneity of the band. They were playing great on most songs

-Adam...the man is on fire

-Edge with no guitar during the beginning of OOC. The song may not have been planned or Dallas wasnt paying attention or Adam started too early. Either way, it was great.

-Bono dedeicating OOTS to all pregnant women in the crowd and then at the end saying "this is for you baby" - to Ali, I suppose. Is she preggers again?

-THE CROWD - what energy

-"How long to sing this song" - so loud.

-Saying hi to Steven Tyler and Liv Tyler as they walked into the floor VIP area near the mix area

-My name on the screen during the ONE campaign

Lowlights:
-Not much - maybe sound quality for the first 3 songs - just like Tuesday

This was a night of pure joy.

I have 3 low-low rez wav files (Out of Control, OOTS, Bad). Join me in the Audio forum and I'll post YSI links ASAP.

Sound quality is bad, but I aim for fastest show clip turnaround time.

Last edited:
Re: Boston 5/26 Review

sfu2doc said:
WOW. A classic U2 show. Amazing crowd, great band energy. I am blown away.

Just got back. Night and day difference vs. the 1st show here.

Highlights:
-SETLIST (out of Control, WOWY, UTEOTW, OOTS, Bad)

-Bono's voice.

-Sponteneity of the band. They were playing great on most songs

-Adam...the man is on fire

-Edge with no guitar during the beginning of OOC. The song may not have been planned or Dallas wasnt paying attention or Adam started too early. Either way, it was great.

-Bono dedeicating OOTS to all pregnant women in the crowd and then at the end saying "this is for you baby" - to Ali, I suppose. Is she preggers again?

-THE CROWD - what energy

-"How long to sing this song" - so loud.

-Saying hi to Steven Tyler and Liv Tyler as they walked into the floor VIP area near the mix area

-My name on the screen during the ONE campaign

Lowlights:
-Not much - maybe sound quality for the first 3 songs - just like Tuesday

This was a night of pure joy.

I have 3 low-low rez wav files (Out of Control, OOTS, Bad). Join me in the Audio forum and I'll post YSI links ASAP.

Sound quality is bad, but I aim for fastest show clip turnaround time.

Yeah.....:drool: :drool:

Hell of a first show (for me)--now I am afraid nothing else will ever live up.

Couldn't agree more...

As I posted on Tuesday, I thought the Tues. show was good, but not great by U2 standards. Some people agreed, but others disagreed, and I got to wondering if maybe it was me, just becoming overly critical.

But then Thursday happened (sgain, I was in baclony, so seat position is not biasing my judgement either)

Tonights show was just amazing..On a whole different level. The main set was nearly identical, but Electric Co. was replaced tonight by Gloria. On Tuesday, the crowd seemed to die when Electric Co came on, but tonight the crowd was ROCKIN to Gloria - singing, dancing, everything. But additionally, many of the songs just sounded better tonight...Bullet in particular.

But then the encore was just AWESOME! Until the End of the World was terrific (similar to the way they did it during Elevation, with Edge and Bono dueling on the ellipse). Out of Control was just amazing...First time I've heard it live, and it made my night.

They also played WoWY tonight, which is always a crowd fravorite, and an unforgettable rendition of Bad was just the perfect end to the night.

I know I'm forgetting some high points, but I can't remember everything right now..Too much to love about this show.

My first time seeing U2, and it was even better than I could have imagined. OOC and Bad were the highlights of the night for me. My section in the balcony was on their feet the whole time, and no one wanted to leave at the end.. "How long... to sing this song.." I think we would have sung it all night if they hadn't brought up the house lights.

One with the cell phones was beautiful. And I got WoWY my first concert experience was perfect.

KOL - Please turn the volume down. I could almost detect some decent songs through the ringing in my ears! :huh:

alison

The encore made the show special. Until the End of the world, Out of control, With or without you and Original of the Species were great and then to follow up with Bad and the 40 snippet was perfect. I was happy to see them play such a diverse encore and to throw in so many wanted and less played songs. The highlights of the first set was Running to stand still and Gloria. But the encore made the show worth the $180 dollars.

What an awsome set set.....

.... wait whilst gets on knees......

PLEASE GOD, LET THEM PLAY A SET LIST LIKE THAT AT MANC 1 OR TWICK 1 PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Also - did Bono do "The Devil" last night during UTEOTW - if so - piccies please!!!

Lisa

What an incredible night!! My friend won a GA ticket at the Vertigone party and couldn't make it so I ended up being able to attend!

I went in town, got a wristband and went to work. Then, I didn't get back in time for the line up and had to join the people that were just arriving. I was bummed out about it. Then, I noticed a fan from atu2.com that I met at a gathering last November. He left Vermont to at 4 am to get his wristband and things happened for him so that he ended up getting to Boston too late to bother to get one.

We partnered up for the ellipse - and his ticket won! We ended up getting to the rail right in front of Adam! I can't believe I ended up in the front row at a U2 concert!! :D

BostonAnne said:
What an incredible night!! My friend won a GA ticket at the Vertigone party and couldn't make it so I ended up being able to attend!

I went in town, got a wristband and went to work. Then, I didn't get back in time for the line up and had to join the people that were just arriving. I was bummed out about it. Then, I noticed a fan from atu2.com that I met at a gathering last November. He left Vermont to at 4 am to get his wristband and things happened for him so that he ended up getting to Boston too late to bother to get one.

We partnered up for the ellipse - and his ticket won! We ended up getting to the rail right in front of Adam! I can't believe I ended up in the front row at a U2 concert!! :D

that's a great story! hearing stories like this make me favor the lottery... glad to see that a couple of diehards got lucky!! :up:

Last night was up there with the best I've seen out of 17 shows.

Here is my enthusiastic post from u2tours.com:

Wow! Now that's more like it!

From good (Tuesday) to great - tonight. This show was high energy from the start. From my spot tonight the sound was much better from the start and Joe O. had it dialed in within a couple songs.

Bono - didn't seem to have vocal trouble at all tonight. He hit some notes that I haven't heard him hit in years. On top of that, he was interacting with the crowd more so than on Tuesday. He pulled up a young woman for Bad. It felt more like a genuine moment than a contrived act. Bono was running around during the encore, calling out new songs like a quarterback making an audible at the last second. It was great! The stage crew just ripped the setlist away. It seemed as if they were told that the guys were going to play the show out the way they felt like it.

Adam - didn't seem as active tonight. However, he played great and he just seems to be at in the greatest of moods these days. I never used to watch Adam much, but he's having such a blast that you can't help but enjoy it.

Larry - he sounded fantastic and had some amazing moments where Bono seemed to be asking Larry to kick the bejesus out of his spine! Larry was more than willing to oblige. He was hitting them hard tonight.

Edge - On fire! Up and down the neck, hitting all the guitar heavy songs with authority. He should have just thrown his guitar down and lit it on fire like Hendrix. The man always gets credit for his style of melodic riffs, but he had one of those nights that lets us know that he can rip his guitar up and command it as well as some of the best of all time. Tonight, he just looked like he owned the guitar. Playing it like it was an extention of his hands. Ridiculous!

Overall - a great high energy show. More pleasing all around than the other nights show. Where Tuesday was a 4 or 5 for U2, tonight was the U2 I have come to expect. The U2 that makes your hair stand up on the back of your neck. I've seen a couple better U2 shows, but this was one helluva show. 8.5 out of 10 in my book!

daveydave

[

We partnered up for the ellipse - and his ticket won! We ended up getting to the rail right in front of Adam! I can't believe I ended up in the front row at a U2 concert!! :D [/B][/QUOTE]

What a great story, congratulations! Isn't it great how things work out sometimes?

U2Girl1978 said:
I was in Loge2 row 4. One of the best shows I've seen. The EDGE was on FIRE! :giggle: :)

Holy shit, I was in Loge 2 row 9.

After ranking Boston 1 as the last of the 4 I had seen to that point I can now safely rank Boston 2 as # 1 of the now 5 I've seen. It was great on so many levels. My crowd was fantastic. It was so great so see people that looked totally sedate before the show (in fact I was saying to myself, oh my God I think I'm stuck in the land of the living dead), rise up at the first notes of COBL. They knew every song and were freaking out the whole show, it seemed like many 1st time Vertigo tour attendees. This was the first show for the guy standing next to me and by the end he was in tears it was a great sight, he kept hugging me like if our team had just won the world series or world cup.

The band was on fire and the setlist was beyond belief. When I heard Bono say Out of Control I freaked out. I was texting the setlist to Lila and almost dropped my phone.

All of this I say with the worst cold I've had in years which I caught standing in the rain in the GA line on Tuesday. Before the show I had a brief thought of not even going because I felt so bad, but for some reason as soon as the show started it was like my cold disappeared.

Bring on Saturday. I hope they can top what they did last night.

Last edited:
I wish that anybody and everybody that enjoys rock music could have been at last nights Boston show, because our beloved boys from Dublin were in the house schooling the competition and wowing their fans.

This was my 13th time seeing the greatest band in the world, and I agree with others who say this show ranks near the top of their U2 concert experiences. All the elements of what makes U2 the best live act in the business for me were present last night: charismatic lead vocalist with the vocal quality to match, a lead guitarist absolutely going off, a drummer and bass player skillfully and joyfully ( I might add) setting and keeping the pace, a crowd that was joyous, raucous, and giving the love right back at the band, the right mix of "wow" factor stage effects and lights, and songs that were full of emotion and grandeur.

Many fan reviews often focus on the setlist, yet for me it's much less about the setlist (since I'm hardcore and like all their songs)and more about the vibe and feeling I get at a U2 concert. In other words, was the spirit in the house? Was the band's performance jaw dropping, spontaneous, and did it evoke feelings of joy in me? I can say that yes, last night the spirit was definitely in the house and the performance was jaw dropping, spontaneous, and I was filled with much joy! Did the surprise additions of Out of Control, Until The End of the World, With or Without You, & Original of the Species contribute to all of this? Yes, but this show would have still been at the top of my all time great U2 concert experiences with the standard Vertigo setlist because this band was simply dialed in last night on all levels. They could have played Country and Western and still wowed me last night, that's how great I think they were.

Highlights:

Love and Peace or Else: This song is a monster live, and I mean that in a good way!

Out of Control: You could tell even from my balcony seats that this one wasn't planned. In fact, it wasn't played flawlessly as Edge had some issues, but that is actually why I enjoyed it so much. I could see Bono cheering Edge on and Larry was getting a few good laughs in on the screwups but it was tons of fun nevertheless.

Vertigo: Love what the stage does during this one and the lighting. Plus, the song is just a great live rock song and the snippet of Walk This Way was very cool.

OOTS: Simply a beautiful song. Bono is so right, they have to find a way to get this played on radio.

Gloria: First time getting to hear it live and it was everything I had hoped for.

So, suffice it to say this show was excellent. I think they have raised the bar for Boston 3. In fact, Boston 3 could be absolutely astonishing. I have GA's for tomorrow night, so I'm looking forward to getting into the trenches and seeing if the boys can top last night.

LSTB

It was an absolutely fantastic show

I thought Bono said after OOTS "that was for you sweetheart" - maybe meaning Edge's daughter if that's who that song is really about :shrug: I don't know if Ali was there, did anyone see her? Maybe she'll be there Saturday.

:lol: That's so funny! I was texting the setlist to u2dork.. :lmao:

My section was pretty good except for the guy who raised his kid in the air and I couldn't see anything here and there. grrr...

What was up with KOL at the end of their set?

ramblin rose said:

Holy shit, I was in Loge 2 row 9.

After ranking Boston 1 as the last of the 4 I had seen to that point I can now safely rank Boston 2 as # 1 of the now 5 I've seen. It was great on so many levels. My crowd was fantastic. It was so great so see people that looked totally sedate before the show (in fact I was saying to myself, oh my God I think I'm stuck in the land of the living dead), rise up at the first notes of COBL. They knew every song and were freaking out the whole show, it seemed like many 1st time Vertigo tour attendees. This was the first show for the guy standing next to me and by the end he was in tears it was a great sight, he kept hugging me like if our team had just won the world series or world cup.

The band was on fire and the setlist was beyond belief. When I heard Bono say Out of Control I freaked out. I was texting the setlist to Lila and almost dropped my phone.

All of this I say with the worst cold I've had in years which I caught standing in the rain in the GA line on Tuesday. Before the show I had a brief thought of not even going because I felt so bad, but for some reason as soon as the show started it was like my cold disappeared.

Bring on Saturday. I hope they can top what they did last night.

Davey, and Blame, I couldn't agree more...

Sound was much better from the beginning, Bono's vocals were great...

So this was my 6th U2 show, and it's near the top...in reality, it's pretty hard for me to rank these shows, because PopMart was my first REAL concert I'd ever been to (at age of 16) and it just blew me away... and both of my two GA experiences during Elevation were also incredible...Being in the crowd really adds to the experience....

I was in the balcony for this show..So my experience was not biased by GA, and this was as good as any show I've ever seen (and better than my balcony experiences during Elevation, or for Boston I this past Tuesday)...So, I think that's saying a lot...

On a side note, since moving to boston in 2002, I've been to near 100 shows, nearly all of which are in small venues. Now, U2 is still my favorite band, but in truth, after seeing some great live shows in small venues, I was a bit concerned going back to see a show in the balcony of a huge arena - boy, were my fears misplaced....how U2 can make such a big place seem so intimate is simply astounding....

U2Girl1978 said:
:lol: That's so funny! I was texting the setlist to u2dork.. :lmao:

My section was pretty good except for the guy who raised his kid in the air and I couldn't see anything here and there. grrr...

What was up with KOL at the end of their set?

I'm not sure. I think the lead singer was just trying to change it up a little. I think they were happy because the audience seemed to really cheer for them. That's when I realized the crowd might be great.

What seat # were you? I think I spotted 4 diehard KOL fans that were in row 7 or 8 low seat #.. They were having the time of their lives during KOL and seemed to know the words to every song. I can safely say that I actually enjoyed their set during these last 2 Boston shows.

Last edited:
lisa2004 said:
What an awsome set set.....

.... wait whilst gets on knees......

PLEASE GOD, LET THEM PLAY A SET LIST LIKE THAT AT MANC 1 OR TWICK 1 PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Also - did Bono do "The Devil" last night during UTEOTW - if so - piccies please!!!

Lisa

Add my prayers to that!

This will be the first time i've seen them - i regret being so young lol. I just hope twickenham 1 is a good set. I'd die happy if i saw Bad live.

ramblin rose said:

I'm not sure. I think the lead singer was just trying to change it up a little. I think they were happy because the audience seemed to really cheer for them. That's when I realized the crowd might be great.

What seat # were you? I think I spotted 4 diehard KOL fans that were in row 7 or 8 low seat #.. They were having the time of their lives during KOL and seemed to know the words to every song. I can safely say that I actually enjoyed their set during these last 2 Boston shows.

I was seat #17. Right on the aisle. It was great! I was at this show by myself but I sat next to 2 really nice people. :)

I was seat number 17 also.

You're right that was a great seat right on the aisle.

U2Girl1978 said:

I was seat #17. Right on the aisle. It was great! I was at this show by myself but I sat next to 2 really nice people. :)

reading the reviews of this show (from every site), has brought tears to my eyes, this is why i stick up for the band, this is why i moan at negativity, because we are all the best and should just part as if U2 have only just started

I was in section 308...facing the stage head-on from the other end. It was an astonishing show for two primary reasons: the setlist and the crowd. The setlist discussion has been done to death, so suffice to say it was the perfect recipe.

The crowd was magnificent. No, 'MAGNIFICENT!!!' Case in point: Out of Control got a 'Streets-like' reception. People were ready to elevate the arena when that song came on. Now, you've got a ton of people who weren't even BORN when that song debuted. So it is a testimony to Boston that we know the U2 catalog as well as if not better than any other city.

I've theorized that the first show in any multi-date city is rarely the best. That held true in Boston during the Elevation tour and apparently it'll hold true for Vertigo. I think everyone (band/crews) get their traction AFTER the first show.

I'll be at Boston 3 and it might be nice to hear one of the aforementioned tunes that were heard during the soundcheck at BOS2. Being the last show of the First Leg, 'Party Girl' might well pop up at BOS3. Who could EVER be surprised at that after last night, with 'Give-us-a-minute-while-we-figure-this-song-out' Bono launching into unscripted territory.

Chris in NH

Last edited:
My 14th U2 show...and best I have seen. The energy in the arena was unreal. Bono fed off the crowd so much. Boston is where its at!!!!

This was my 23rd U2 show since 1987 and it was one of the more stellar shows I've seen. Being in the ellipse certainly helped bring it up a level with me, but I've had great seats before, and only a few shows had the passion and energy of Boston 5/26. I'd put it in the top few U2 shows I've seen with only the Boston Garden "the night the lights went out" show being as memorable.

MrsSpringsteen said:
It was an absolutely fantastic show

I thought Bono said after OOTS "that was for you sweetheart" - maybe meaning Edge's daughter if that's who that song is really about :shrug: I don't know if Ali was there, did anyone see her? Maybe she'll be there Saturday.

i was there too.
awesome show. geat setlist. phenomenal crowd. etc. etc.
what bono said before OOTS was that this song was written for the band's "progeny" but that tonight he wanted to sing it for a friend who was in attendance and who had "a baby in her belly" and after the song he patted his belly and said "that's for you sweetheart."

Back
Top Bottom