16th October Philadelphia - Wachovia Center

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excuse-me Interferencers, I don´t know if this is the right place to post it, but...

"MY MOM NAMED ME DAVID EVAN AFTER THE BESTEST GUITAR PLAYER IN THE WORLD"
A huge Edger, named Edgeamour, who I knew in the first Zootopia, has a little boy called David Evan (october 13rd is his 7th B-Day!!!!). His Godmother is making a shirt, which reads "MY MOM NAMED ME DAVID EVAN AFTER THE BESTEST GUITAR PLAYER IN THE WORLD" and he and his mum Edgeamour will be at U2´s concert, next Sunday in Philadelphia. David decided not to accept gifts for his birthday this year but instead, asked friends and family to make donations to the victims of hurricane Katrina. This little boy is becoming quite the young humanitarian and makes his family so proud; he is thinking of all the young chlldren that lost everything. This is another reason Edgeamour wants to take him to the concert on Sunday, his unselfish heart deserves this special treat! So, who will attend Sunday's show and see him, please, stop and say happy birthday to him! Great luck (and look), dear Edgeamour and little David, both of you are very very important for Edge and whole band!

by Regina O'Numb :hug:
http://www.reginaonumb.blogger.com.br

Last edited:
Just got back from the show... The night started great as my buddy and I got into the ellipse. It was his ticket that did it. It was probably funny to watch. He scanned his ticket, the vertigo logo popped up on the laptop screen, I'm going nuts and he just looked at me like "Dude, WTF?" ( He's a fan of U2 but hasn't seen them since ZooTV and had no clue what just happened.)

The band sounded great as always, but Bono seemed to be struggling at times. I wonder what he's got left for tomorrow night? He still managed to nail the Pavorotti part of Miss S.

23 songs and about 2:15 total ellapsed time. Not bad!

NYD and Bad, my 2 favorites, missing again. (Sh*t !!)

I was hoping to hear either Crumbs or OOTS. Oh well. The Ocean & Fast Cars were pretty cool.

The whole Coexist/Africa section from MD thru One needs to be re-examined by the band. It's a wonderful string of songs, but it puts too much strain on the rest of the show when they try to mix things up. Props to them for digging up a song like FT, but that tune and an accoustic "Stuck" back to back to start the encores was a let down from an energy standpoint. They both need to be somewhere in the middle of the show. They were both done very well, though.

One and Pride have been slagged a bit in some threads recently. While I agree that they sound a bit frail on the boots, actually being there at the show to hear them is a whole other story. You realize then why they remain on the setlist.

The Crowd: Noisy and into the show as most Phily crowds are. Also very appreciative. One downer: Right towards the end of "Sometimes", some jackass decided that was the right time to hit Bono in the face w/ a flag. Perfect timing, loser!-- right when Bono's thoughts might have been temporarily elsewhere, you have your big moment.

"40" to close the show- reminded me of the old days..

All in all a fantastic concert. Thanks U2!

Yeah great show. Bono struggled for some lyrics too. In A Little While and Stuck. The flag thing Bono seemed to like, he kept it for a while. I was hoping for Crumbs too, great night nonetheless.

woah... if i didn't know better, i would think clark w griswald and myself shared the same brain..

well said man!

I'm goin to the monday show, and then weds. in dc. Here's to hearing BAD at one of those! Hope you get the same fortune!!!

OK just got up from last night's show. I also saw them back in May here at the Wachovia. Here are some things that I will remember. If you go to the Wachovia they have a big bar and restaurant area as you come in from the one side. It looks like a nite club, anyway before the show it was very festive with people eating and drinking and videos of U2 above the bar and there was a U2 cover band playing near the bar, it was truly a wild scene. Now to the show, we sat right on the first row of the second level looking straight down behind the stage. A clear view of everything. we met some fans who traveled from England and Vegas! They were really cool. Overall I thought the May show had more energy from the audince and band...oh it was loud but not as together. the usual opening COBL>Vertigo>..at one point Bono's mic wasn't working and he walked over to a tech and he looked a little frustrated. the night had more of these problems. Overall Bono's voice was amazing, the best I ever heard. Especially during Miss Sarejevo.The best highlight was getting a kid from the audience and then Bono brought him up on the stage during Bullet to Blue Sky..then Bono pulled down that coexist head wrap around his eyes like a blindfold and had the kid lead him around the outer perimeter of the stage whils singing "when johnny comes marching home",very cool symbol then he asked the kid "Remove my Blindfold". Yahweh was excellent during the 2nd encore. Also Love & Peace was outstanding while Bono kept on beating the drum. I missed Running to stand still from the may show..and WOWOY wasn't that good.It started out with a burst os static then the Edge's guitar wasn't even on..Bono found a girl in the front row to come up and sing to but she just kept hugging him the whole time for dear life and it effected his timing on the verses. It seemed rushed and with out feeling. By the middle of the song the sound started to get right. Overall a good show. although I like First time I don't think it makes for a good encore opener.Oh and Stuck in a moment right after was fabulous. the whole crowd singing every word. Major mess up on Still haven’t.. at the end Bono tried changing into another lil' ditty and everyone got lost..he then just ended the song with " Hey! it's our song, we can mess it up if we want!" I agree several posts back who said that the whole political preachy platform thing needs to be toned down..it suffers the songs. i love it when Bono takes the moment with the individual and makes his point but the text message thing and the whole coexist over and over gets a lil' thin after a while. hey guys, your preacing to the choir..we love ya's and we have followed you for years..just play your songs..they are the message that changes hearts..i know it's like their thing now but i can't help but feel sometimes that Bono is using the band primarily as a platform. i don't know..The thing that makes them is part mystery. Let me figure that out. setlist: City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
The Electric Co.
The Ocean
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

The First Time
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Fast Cars
With Or Without You

All Because Of You
Yahweh

88sundays said:
I agree several posts back who said that the whole political preachy platform thing needs to be toned down..it suffers the songs. i love it when Bono takes the moment with the individual and makes his point but the text message thing and the whole coexist over and over gets a lil' thin after a while. hey guys, your preacing to the choir..we love ya's and we have followed you for years..just play your songs..they are the message that changes hearts..i know it's like their thing now but i can't help but feel sometimes that Bono is using the band primarily as a platform. i don't know..The thing that makes them is part mystery. Let me figure that out.
Exactly. Back on the Elevation Tour, Bono was into the Africa thing and, on the post-911 3rd leg shows, the Coexist theme as well. But he usually confined his thoughts to a single well thought out monologue before playing One. Elevation was still about a rock band playing a rock show. This tour is just how you put it, using the band as a platform. Still cool to see them, though.

I would daresay after hearing Edge and Adam speak in recent interviews, that in fact the band is using the band as a platform, and in turn using Bono due to the fact that he is the frontman.

Let's not forget that what U2 does onstage requires the assent and agreement of U2, not Bono alone.

Thanks for the review, I was eager to hear how it went after attending the May 24 Philly show. WIsh I could have been back.

Thanks

for posting the review & set list. I'm going tonight to the show. It's my very first U2 show though I've loved them for years. I'm going to be in the nosebleed section, 211.

Here's my review of the Oct. 16 show in Philly that I posted on U2tours.com...

This was my first U2 concert in 13 years. I last saw them on the Zoo-TV tour, also in Philly, back in 1992. I missed PopMart in the spring of ’97 and Elevation in the spring of ‘01 because they coincided with the births of my two children and I was a bit sleep-deprived and distracted. Now the kids are 8 and 4 and there are no more babies on the way. Finally I get to see my all-time favorite band in concert again!

City of Blinding Lights was an amazing opener! The effect of the song, the lights, the confetti, and the crowd reaction is incredible. I confess… I got all choked up and teary-eyed from the sheer joy of being at a U2 concert again.

Vertigo seemed a little flat and tossed-off. I like the song so I’m not one of the people who complain that it’s overdone, but it did seem like the band just ran through it and moved on. But the momentum picked up when they began Elevation. The playful way they start the song with just Bono and The Edge teasing the crowd was fun. When the full band bursts into the song, the place erupts. Everyone was really into it, including The Edge who was pogo-ing up and down along with the crowd.

I enjoyed the entire show, but I was struck by a realization that the songs that really “got me” were from the two most recent albums. I enjoyed the legendary classics like Sunday Bloody Sunday, With or Without You, and One… and hearing Electric Co and 40 took me right back to my first U2 concert back in 1984. But, the songs that I got the most emotional about in were the ones I had never heard live before… COBL, Love and Peace, Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can’t Make It, and Stuck in a Moment. I was caught off-guard by how much hearing those songs affected me. I think that demonstrates how well their more-recent work holds up in comparison to their earlier releases. How many bands can you say that about?

Random Thoughts:
-The Arcade Fire song that is played right before U2 takes the stage is so great! The crowd went nuts when they heard it and was singing along at full volume. A perfect way to kick off the show.
-The lighting for this concert is so cool. I loved the beaded light curtains and the rings of light around the stage and ellipse. One effect that was really awesome was when the rings of different-colored lights “raced” around the ellipse at different speeds. One would overtake another, they would blend together into another color for a brief moment, and then separate again. It’s hard to describe, but it was really cool.
-Bono was so sweet with the boy he brought up on stage during Bullet. I’m sure the boy was pretty overwhelmed by the experience and you could see the father in Bono gently guiding and reassuring the boy, even with a blindfold. It was really touching when Bono blended in the snippet of “These are the hands that built America” while holding the boy’s hand and then thanking him for “getting me home safe” after they got all the way around the ellipse.
-I have to say that Adam Clayton has turned out to be one of the most gorgeous men on the planet. He just oozes suave-ness (Is that a word?!) and sex appeal. I loved his sly smile every time he came out on the ellipse.

Can’t wait to see them again in Cleveland in December – I’m taking my son (who’ll be 9 by then) to that show. My 4-year-old daughter is a little too young yet but I promised her that I’ll take her during the next tour!
----------------------------------
Additional thoughts added after hearing about the Oct. 17 Philly show with Bruce Springsteen & Patti Scialfa joining U2 on stage during the encore... I am just about sick that I didn't follow my impulse and stay over for the Oct. 17 concert after hearing about how great it was. But, I also have to say that the Oct. 16 show was still great and I am getting a little bummed that it's basically been ignored - including by u2.com which has never even bothered to post a show recap for the Oct. 16 concert. :ohmy:

FungusAmongus said:
does anyone know if the band came out to meet fans before the show today?

No :(

I waited over three hours for them to come. They arrived from NYC extremely late, around 6:30. Too late for a soundcheck, even. I'd hoped that since they didn't have to do soundcheck, they'd come out, but no.

Bono rolled down his window and hung out of the SUV to wave to everyone. A woman hopped over the chain and rushed toward him, ruining everyone's chances. Stupid woman :mad:

I'm hoping the single picture I snapped of Bono will come out. I pick them up tomorrow.

More on my thoughts on the show soon.

Clark W. Griswold said:

One and Pride have been slagged a bit in some threads recently. While I agree that they sound a bit frail on the boots, actually being there at the show to hear them is a whole other story. You realize then why they remain on the setlist.
Oct. 16 was my first U2 concert and I would love to find any bootlegs. Does anyone have them that would like to share? Its ben nearly a week and Im still getting over the show. I love how the concert was more than just going to see a band play. U2 fans are so great, and I love the sense of communtiy that I saw at the concert. Its awesome to talk with other fans.:happy:

Regina O'Numb said:
Excuse-me Interferencers, I don´t know if this is the right place to post it, but...

"MY MOM NAMED ME DAVID EVAN AFTER THE BESTEST GUITAR PLAYER IN THE WORLD"
A huge Edger, named Edgeamour, who I knew in the first Zootopia, has a little boy called David Evan (october 13rd is his 7th B-Day!!!!). His Godmother is making a shirt, which reads "MY MOM NAMED ME DAVID EVAN AFTER THE BESTEST GUITAR PLAYER IN THE WORLD" and he and his mum Edgeamour will be at U2´s concert, next Sunday in Philadelphia. David decided not to accept gifts for his birthday this year but instead, asked friends and family to make donations to the victims of hurricane Katrina. This little boy is becoming quite the young humanitarian and makes his family so proud; he is thinking of all the young chlldren that lost everything. This is another reason Edgeamour wants to take him to the concert on Sunday, his unselfish heart deserves this special treat! So, who will attend Sunday's show and see him, please, stop and say happy birthday to him! Great luck (and look), dear Edgeamour and little David, both of you are very very important for Edge and whole band!

by Regina O'Numb :hug:
http://www.reginaonumb.blogger.com.br

..and Edge waved to little David!!!! :applaud: :wave:

.....So, his mum, Edgeamour said this wonder story: "...got in the ellispe!!!!We were close but poor David was surrounded by tall people. He was able to see though, he was in complete awe actually seeing them in person. Bono never saw David and chose another child to take on stage. Broke my heart but the greatest highlight was Miracle Drug. David stood in front of Edge for this song pulling at his shirt for him to see and waving the whole time at the end of the song Edge waved back!!!! David was so happy!!!!!! After the long day outside and acknowledgement from his name sake David got tired and at the end of te first set of songs David laid down on the floor and went to sleep!!! I couldn't let my child lay on the dirty concrete floor and as much as I wanted to stay I knew my child had seen enough. So we beat the crowd out of the parking lot an headed home. Yesterday David purchased his first acoustic guitar and my roomate taught him 2 chords. As he walked to the bus for school this morning he was strumming and singing Miracle Drug and one to me..He says he's going to practice real hard so one day he can play a sound for The Edge!!!!!!Everyone in the GA line was so cool with him. 7 years before I was bringing him home from the hospital and now 7 years later he's waving to his namesake. I was so thrilled for him!! By the way the show was awesome as usual and I never took my eyes off Edge. David did his spelling words tonite strumming his guitar to every letter made a little song "1,2,3,skittle lee diddle lee dee spelling words for you and me" We may indeed have a future guitarist on our hands!" by Edgeamour - Edgeamour@webtv.net

Back
Top Bottom