Melbourne Meet Up thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Silly not-so-old me didn't decide to become a fan until 1998 or 1999... missed PopMart. Sigh!

I do love hearing stories from people who got to see all those other tours and stuff. *sits in listening pose* :wink:

TranceEnding said:
I was at the Lovetown tour (Melbourne) also ... first 4 shows :drool: See, there's some advantage in being old :wink:

Aaaand now we all hate you out of jealousy. :wink:

See, that's what I find so brilliant about Interference :D I went through my U2 teenage/early twenties obsession back in the day, from say ..... 1984. Now, when I come here, it's kinda like reliving my youth :D What seemed perfectly natural and normal, to go and see your beloved band in the earlier tours (as many times as possible, LOL!) is greeted with ..... WOW!! by younger and/or newer fans. It's really cool actually!

It makes you think how amazing this band is, to be still together after all these years and to be so enormously popular. The funny thing is, is that sometimes I STILL think they're this little band I fell in love with and everyone thought I was such a nerd to like them :wink:

Axver said:
1989-11-18, Sydney
1989-12-01, Osaka
1989-12-26, 27, 30, 31, Dublin
1989-01-10, Rotterdam

The Aussie shows are usually not that great audio quality. If memory serves correctly, 1989-10-09 is probably the pick of the Melbourne concerts.
I was looking at these on u2start and was amazed at the number of shows they were playing in each city... no wonder they said it was driving them nuts!

I've got NYE Dublin, and the Osaka one as well, although I've not listened to Osaka for ages. I think I've got that Sydney one too, not sure if I ever got around to listening to it. Is that the one with a screamer standing next to the poor taper?

I'll grab Rotterdam for sure then... thanks Axver :up:

TranceEnding said:
See, that's what I find so brilliant about Interference :D I went through my U2 teenage/early twenties obsession back in the day, from say ..... 1984. Now, when I come here, it's kinda like reliving my youth :D What seemed perfectly natural and normal, to go and see your beloved band in the earlier tours (as many times as possible, LOL!) is greeted with ..... WOW!! by younger and/or newer fans. It's really cool actually!
I have very fond memories of being a newbie Interferencer, and going through my first blush of fandom here... people encouraging me to go and buy Pop and October and all that sort of thing.

One of these days when I build my time machine, I can go and do what you did the first time round... and I'll wave to Edge as we pass one another in the space-time continuum :wink:

TranceEnding said:

Hopefully 15 years down the track, people only just being born will hate me for having seen Muse in 2007 or something. :lol:

But I feel like I've kind of missed the boat on things. I was EASILY the youngest person I saw at the Finn Brothers, Split Enz, and Crowded House gigs I saw in 2005, 2006, and 2007 respectively. And, well, Dream Theater may be coming here for the first time on Tuesday, but they're already past their prime and I think they only appeal to nerdy guys. :wink:

I'll probably never latch on to any band that becomes huge in the future. But I can tell you all about atmospheric metal! Agalloch ... :drool:

Alisaura said:

I was looking at these on u2start and was amazed at the number of shows they were playing in each city... no wonder they said it was driving them nuts!

I've got NYE Dublin, and the Osaka one as well, although I've not listened to Osaka for ages. I think I've got that Sydney one too, not sure if I ever got around to listening to it. Is that the one with a screamer standing next to the poor taper?

I'll grab Rotterdam for sure then... thanks Axver :up:

There were actually even MORE shows planned that were never played for various reasons:

- Melbourne was meant to have an EIGHTH show on 17/10. We don't know why this one never went on sale, as all seven sold out.
- The three Sydney shows on 17, 18, and 19/11 were meant to be on 22, 24, and 25/10, but you probably know about his vocal problems at the time.
- Two more Amsterdam shows were meant for the two nights after the aborted 18/11 show; they were rescheduled as the four Rotterdam gigs in January. I actually think the 1989-11-18 bootleg isn't bad until Bono completely blows his voice in God Part II.
- Dublin was meant to have a fifth show on 29/12. It was cancelled as U2 already felt pretty run off their feet.

I think you have a different Sydney gig. 1989-11-18 is pretty good audience, and we have soundboard of some of it thanks to the Lovetown doco. You might be thinking of 1989-10-20? AMAZING gig, but there's a very squeally girl near the taper. If I remember correctly, she actually shrieks "I love you Larry!" during VAN DIEMEN'S LAND. Yeah, Larry's totally on stage then.

Alisaura said:
Yeah, I'm not cool enough to watch enough new/unknown bands and become fans of them before they get big.

I know so much underground stuff, it's ridiculous. I think that if most people played a drinking game with my top 50 albums of all time, drinking every time they recognised an album, they probably wouldn't even get tipsy.

But these bands are underground for a reason - the mainstream doesn't go for their style. :(

mysterious_jen said:
off to bed melbournites, catch you monday , will emial some phone numberz

Cool; if you don't have my e-mail already, it's amakaxver[at]gmail.com

I ... uh ... better not stay up too late ... so that I don't miss the first ball of the cricket tomorrow.

Woo, got to love the reason I have to get up in the morning. :|

Well, g'night to those of you leaving. :wave:

oh, and Axver, Unforgettable Fire is one of my all-time favourite albums too :D Very cool top 50 there .... a few of them I really haven't heard about before ... love Nick Drake's Pink Moon also.

Axver said:
I think you have a different Sydney gig. 1989-11-18 is pretty good audience, and we have soundboard of some of it thanks to the Lovetown doco. You might be thinking of 1989-10-20? AMAZING gig, but there's a very squeally girl near the taper. If I remember correctly, she actually shrieks "I love you Larry!" during VAN DIEMEN'S LAND. Yeah, Larry's totally on stage then.
I think I have one track from the squealy show... AIWIY maybe? I've got 18/11/89 too, from memory, but don't recall how it sounds. And I'm not on my comp this weekend so I can't check...

My taste in music is fairly depressingly mainstream (comparitively speaking), but I like to think I have an open mind. I love Captive and Passengers, as well as things like Afro Celt Sound System, so I'm not as bad as some :wink:

TranceEnding said:
oh, and Axver, Unforgettable Fire is one of my all-time favourite albums too :D Very cool top 50 there .... a few of them I really haven't heard about before ... love Nick Drake's Pink Moon also.

Thanks. :)

I really don't expect anybody to have heard of stuff like Wolves In The Throne Room or Subterranean Masquerade or Sculptured. But it's good stuff, I swear. If you go for that sort of music anyway ...

Alisaura said:

I think I have one track from the squealy show... AIWIY maybe? I've got 18/11/89 too, from memory, but don't recall how it sounds. And I'm not on my comp this weekend so I can't check...

My taste in music is fairly depressingly mainstream (comparitively speaking), but I like to think I have an open mind. I love Captive and Passengers, as well as things like Afro Celt Sound System, so I'm not as bad as some :wink:

20/10/89 has this amazing AIWIY --> Bad medley that I wish U2 had done more often. It appeared at only a couple of gigs. It also has one of the most scorching Desire --> Watchtower combos ever. I just wish the squeally girl would go get her vocal chords removed.

CAPTIVE. Now there's something that should be on my top fifty!

maybe you can make me a mixed CD :D Always interested in hearing new music (well, new to my ears anyway :) ).

Ha, I thought I had a tough time explaining to some folk my musical taste! Usually the response is ... who? or ... ohhhhh :huh: ... or, wow .. are they STILL around???

:wink:

But anyway, my favourite's are the Church :love: Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Kate Bush, PJ Harvey ...

I must admit, I'm not terribly enthused by much around today .. nothing really inspires me recently. Still, I am open to new stuff always, but then again, I guess I'm kinda stuck in a time-warp too :wink:

Just looked through your top 50, Axver... Not quite sure what sort of genre "shoegazing" is though. :scratch:

If you feel like making a mix CD, wanna burn me a copy too? :wink:

I like what I've heard of The Church, which admittedly isn't much... and I love Nick Cave :love:
I was driving from Canberra to Melbourne once, zooming along the highway with rain pissing down and thunder crashing, 'The Firstborn is Dead' blasting in the CD player... :rockon:

I tried to broaden my brother's taste in music once, and burned a couple of CDs for him... I don't think they made much impression, sadly.

Gods, there's too much music out there and not enough time... :uhoh:

TranceEnding said:
maybe you can make me a mixed CD :D Always interested in hearing new music (well, new to my ears anyway :) ).

That sounds like a good idea - though I think I might just avoid all the really immense black metal stuff and the death metal growls! :wink:

Plenty of quality prog and obscure stuff out there though. :drool:

Ha, I thought I had a tough time explaining to some folk my musical taste! Usually the response is ... who? or ... ohhhhh :huh: ... or, wow .. are they STILL around???

:wink:

But anyway, my favourite's are the Church :love: Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Kate Bush, PJ Harvey ...

I've sort of given up telling people what bands I like because it's so rare that anybody recognises even Porcupine Tree, who are fairly prominent as far as my favourite bands go (they even broke the UK top 40 with their last album!).

I recognise all the names you list, though I haven't really explored any of them. I should check out Kate Bush though, as Screwtape2 is right into her stuff and I share a lot of tastes with him.

I must admit, I'm not terribly enthused by much around today .. nothing really inspires me recently. Still, I am open to new stuff always, but then again, I guess I'm kinda stuck in a time-warp too :wink:

I keep thinking that I'm growing tired of stuff and nothing's capturing my attention, and then something sneaks up on me. Alcest did that to me last year.

Though I don't think any album will ever evoke the emotional response from me that Anathema's Judgement did the first time I played it. Easily the biggest musical revelation of my life. It's one of those "holy shit" moments that you just can't forget. I've never been so hooked by an album within a single minute. The album's not for everyone, as it's very melancholic and emotionally intense, but it sure did something for me.

Alisaura said:
Just looked through your top 50, Axver... Not quite sure what sort of genre "shoegazing" is though. :scratch:

Wikipedia's article on shoegazing gives a good definition:

The British music press (notably NME and Melody Maker) called this genre "shoegazing" because the musicians in these bands often maintained a motionless performing style, standing on stage and staring at the floor* while playing their instruments ; hence, the idea that they were gazing at their shoes. The shoegazing sound featured extensive use of guitar effects, and indistinguishable vocal melodies that blended into the creative noise of the guitars.

*because they had a shitload of effects pedals to use!

I'll try to make a mix CD. No promises that I'll have one ready by Monday, as I'm fairly meticulous with these sorts of things, but I'll do my best!

That sounds good :D Meloncholia is my favourite genre :wink:

I just had a quick look at http://www.cornerhotel.com/ and can recommend seeing Canadian Jeff Martin on February 19/20. It appears there's still tickets available! I'm going to the first show, and looking forward to it :)

Anyway, I must get going or else I'm going to have a very grouchy day at work tomorrow :mad: :wink:

Goodnight peoples :)

G'night, TranceEnding :wave:

I have a partially-inexplicable fondness for the Corner Hotel now... :D
Went to see the Howling Bells there last year... would have been a decent show, but some idiot had the sound cranked up to "earsplitting". :mad: You can get away with volume like that in a stadium, but not a pub. Sigh.

Thanks for the info, Axver... sounds interesting.

Bloody hell, mixtapes are not easy! I was very, very overly selective, even choosing songs from some bands purely on the basis of their comparative shortness, and yet I still came out with nearly 2.5 hours of music. Two CDs? :lol:

I haven't heard of Jeff Martin before. I'm already seeing Explosions In The Sky at the Corner Hotel a few days beforehand. What's his music like? I could use another gig; I didn't see enough live music in 2006.

I had a similar problem when compiling the CDs for my brother... I wanted to start with one so I wouldn't be bombarding him with stuff... but I ended up giving him three. :lol:

I keep making new CDs to listen to in the car, as well...

This compilation certainly covers some territory. You can see what I'm working on by checking my last.fm page. I won't go past two CDs, but I think going past one is absolutely essential. I've mostly steered clear of metal, and there's nothing extreme. But that said, I listen to something like Oceans Rise by Borknagar and say "that's not that heavy" while I'd be interested in how you'd react!

Now, if you want heavy, I can expose you to Wolves In The Throne Room. Or Ulver's Nattens Madrigal for that matter. Nearly blew out my eardrums a couple of nights ago when I accidentally put that on while the volume was up high.

Well, about the heaviest things in my CD collection are Tool's two most recent albums, you probably think that's pretty soft :lol: (Although they were frickin' loud when I saw them a few years back!)
Someone tried to get me into Nightwish a while back, and they're not bad, but it's not really my thing.
I occasionally hear bits of TripleJ's Full Metal Racket programme, some of that really fast stuff goes right over my head :reject:

ETA: I just remembered, I have a Rammstein CD too. Been a while since I gave it a listen, but I do like it.

And now I'm definitely for bed... :yawn:

Last edited:
I never really got into Tool, though I do like a handful of their songs. I find their albums to be a bit too lifeless. As for Nightwish, that's not really my style of metal at all, and I don't blame anyone who can't get past Tarja's operatic vocals.

It's funny, I sometimes put on U2 stuff I haven't played in a while, and in my mind I've got this memory of how I thought it was such a heavy, rockin' song. And ... it's just not. That's not to say I think any less of the songs, as I usually don't. I was quite let down when I heard Miracle Drug lately, though. I remember the solo once felt like a fantastic release, the part where Edge really lets loose was almost transcendent ... but I felt nothing and it felt like he was playing so weakly.

I think a lot of people don't realise how diverse metal is. I think most people know of thrash and power metal, like Metallica and Blind Guardian. I am very much into the atmospheric and avantgarde stuff, much of which draws on unusual musical theories or folk music. In many cases, the folk influence is quite unrecognisable, especially to an outside listener. The general sound and asthetic is really an acquired taste, but it's certainly not all bands with stupid names like Fuck I'm Dead (real Melbourne band). There's some quite intelligent stuff. Orphaned Land, for example, are an Israeli band who bring together the three main religious traditions of their country to find common ground and promote inter-religious harmony.

OK, I'll stop before I really get going! Probably time to sleep anyway ...

Back
Top Bottom