Desert Island VIII: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. bono_212
2. Axver
3. Reggo
4. Screwtape2
5. Joey788
6. namkcuR
7. oneblood
8. coolian2
9. the tourist
10. LemonMelon
11. Cute Irish Bono
12. KhanadaRhodes
13. cobl04
14. The Sad Punk
15. collapse
16. Mr. V
17. GAF
18. ultraviolet92
19. IWasBored
20. iron yuppie
ALT 1. phanan
ALT 2.

Hah, no shit, it's rare when people around here think Metal Island sounds like an enjoyable idea! Stick around, because I will unleash it at some point. I'm just not totally happy with it yet, so I'm not using it this time around. I don't want it to become my DI Chinese Democracy though. It'll be interesting to see how the forum responds, because it starts fairly tame (Alcest, Psychotic Waltz, Devin Townsend) and builds up to Norwegians shrieking while they throw a drumkit down a stairwell (i.e. Immortal and early Ulver). Judging by past experience, I'll lose everybody around about Borknagar.

As for this time, I hope you like Kyuss, because that's the only out-and-out metal I'm using. There is Amesoeurs as well, but I consider them post-punk more than anything.

i actually have not heard kyuss or amesoeurs, so i am looking forward to it. new music is good and new metal is better (not to be confused with nu-metal, which is probably not better.)

immortal and ulver, i approve. not super into either of them but i have heard them of course. sure don't know borknagar though. seems like you could introduce me to a lot of stuff i havent heard yet. and i think for most people the big hurdle to overcome with metal is the vocals. most people can tolerate some rocking out with clean vocals, but once the vocals get heavy it becomes unlistenable until you get used to it. i know it took awhile for me to become accustomed to it, but it was so worth it. now at least half of what i listen to on average has mostly screaming vocals.

i will not reveal the artists on my list, and it is a work in progress, but genres represented include symphonic black metal, post-metal, doom metal, stoner metal, progressive metal, folk metal, and metalcore (i know, i know, if you're a purist you probably don't consider anything 'core' to be metal, but i love the stuff when it's done right).

my list has plenty of indie and whatnot too though, so people not named axver need not dispair.

also i have a question to all participants, and especially those who have done this before. um... 160 minutes is a really long time. what's the best way to approach this? i'm kind of a nerd and like to make playlists that flow really well and whatnot. but i don't really feel like i can make a 160 playlist that feels cohesive, not with the variety i want to use anyway. do most people split it up into seperate playlists or is it more common to just have it be one thing?

also i have a question to all participants, and especially those who have done this before. um... 160 minutes is a really long time. what's the best way to approach this? i'm kind of a nerd and like to make playlists that flow really well and whatnot. but i don't really feel like i can make a 160 playlist that feels cohesive, not with the variety i want to use anyway. do most people split it up into seperate playlists or is it more common to just have it be one thing?
i split my VII entry into eight parts, essentially :lol: i had four seperate "albums" if you like, roughly 40 mins each, with a side A and side B, so it's not a big deal.

impy also submitted a list that was only 80 or so mins long, so there's no minimum.

I'm going somewhere near there.

:hi5: Awesome, I can't wait for this!

two 2000s club bangers lists is absolutely fine with me woop woop woop :panic:

And apparently neither can Cobbler! :wink:

I don't think I've split mine before (though I might this round), but none of my lists have been at the 160 mark, if I'm remembering correctly. Usually, I just try to make a list that's cohesive and comes to a natural close.

i am new to this thread but excited:hyper:
how do we see each others if they are all PM'd to Phanan?

I release the playlists five at a time for everyone to listen. We break it up so that it's not too overwhelming, as 20 is a lot to hear all at once. We give everyone plenty of time to enjoy each other's playlists.

The first post of this thread goes into more detail.

I release the playlists five at a time for everyone to listen. We break it up so that it's not too overwhelming, as 20 is a lot to hear all at once. We give everyone plenty of time to enjoy each other's playlists.

About that...I seem to recall some people having trouble with even five at a time last time. Any chance we could break it up even further and have, maybe, two at a time at slightly more frequent intervals, or even one at a time? That way, there would be more of a chance of everyone talking about the same playlist at the same time. Thoughts?

i actually have not heard kyuss or amesoeurs, so i am looking forward to it. new music is good and new metal is better (not to be confused with nu-metal, which is probably not better.)

immortal and ulver, i approve. not super into either of them but i have heard them of course. sure don't know borknagar though. seems like you could introduce me to a lot of stuff i havent heard yet. and i think for most people the big hurdle to overcome with metal is the vocals. most people can tolerate some rocking out with clean vocals, but once the vocals get heavy it becomes unlistenable until you get used to it. i know it took awhile for me to become accustomed to it, but it was so worth it. now at least half of what i listen to on average has mostly screaming vocals.

Kyuss (along with Sleep) basically invented stoner metal. Welcome To Sky Valley is just one big spectacular riffathon of an album. As for Amesoeurs, they were a side project of Neige of Alcest that blurred post-punk and black metal ... the track I'm using falls on the post-punk side of what they did.

I barely even notice the change between clean and harsh vocals nowadays, I suppose from years of listening to bands that use both, like Opeth and Orphaned Land. But I certainly see why people find it hard to get used to; I got into extreme metal via Opeth's Bleak, because Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree guests in it. I loved SW's passage so much that I kept playing the song and got used to Mikael Akerfeldt's growled vocals.

i will not reveal the artists on my list, and it is a work in progress, but genres represented include symphonic black metal, post-metal, doom metal, stoner metal, progressive metal, folk metal, and metalcore (i know, i know, if you're a purist you probably don't consider anything 'core' to be metal, but i love the stuff when it's done right).

my list has plenty of indie and whatnot too though, so people not named axver need not dispair.

I can totally get behind most of those genres. I tend to be skeptical towards metalcore and I don't think I've yet heard anything I'd rate highly from the genre, but on the other side of the coin, I don't understand quite why it gets such a huge backlash that assumes any album labelled as metalcore immediately has no merit whatsoever.

I can't talk too much anyway, the black metal I like the most is not the "trve kvlt" stuff. Or isn't these days. I remember when liking Agalloch made you very trve.

But I certainly see why people find it hard to get used to; I got into extreme metal via Opeth's Bleak, because Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree guests in it.

haha that's a song i am using on my playlist XD sooo good

alright thanks dude
do you reccomend any program/website to do this playlist to upload ? since i have never done this before

thankyou!

i tried to make one long playlist for this, but it's too hard. i can't get 30 songs together and make them all fit and all that... so mine will be split in two most likely.

Hadn't we declared a minimum of 80:01, i.e. longer than Mini DI?
probably. impy's list was probably more like 90 mins, now that i think about it.

alright thanks dude
do you reccomend any program/website to do this playlist to upload ? since i have never done this before

thankyou!
once you've got your playlist in itunes or whatever, zip it, and then use megaupload.com to upload it. you'll get a link, which you'll then send to phanan :)

4 sides, like if i had 2 90 minute tapes is what i'm leaning toward at the moment, but i'm sure the more i think about it that will change.

About that...I seem to recall some people having trouble with even five at a time last time. Any chance we could break it up even further and have, maybe, two at a time at slightly more frequent intervals, or even one at a time? That way, there would be more of a chance of everyone talking about the same playlist at the same time. Thoughts?

Well, that would take a really long time to get through that way. As it was, we listened for over a month last time. I thought that was plenty of time.

But as I stated previously, if I get the first five before 12/31, those will come out early to give everyone a head start.

Well, that would take a really long time to get through that way. As it was, we listened for over a month last time. I thought that was plenty of time.

But as I stated previously, if I get the first five before 12/31, those will come out early to give everyone a head start.
i don't really think the total length of time for listening to lists is the problem.

so i think like 16 of my songs so far count as some sort of metal, though less than half of those use primarily heavy vocals. is everyone gonna hait my playlist?? i want to be true to what i like and hopefully introduce people to stuff they might not have heard before, but i don't want my list to be unbearable. i know this isnt a metal forum, even if bono says vertigo is heavy molten metal from zarlock-9 or whatever. but sounds like axver might like it at least! (i'm also using Agalloch and Sleep :) )

so i think like 16 of my songs so far count as some sort of metal, though less than half of those use primarily heavy vocals. is everyone gonna hait my playlist??

Yes. :wink:

In all seriousness, it seems as though the point of this is to expand our musical pallets. I think that all of us are going to approach the playlists with an open mind. Otherwise, we would not have joined.

so i think like 16 of my songs so far count as some sort of metal, though less than half of those use primarily heavy vocals. is everyone gonna hait my playlist?? i want to be true to what i like and hopefully introduce people to stuff they might not have heard before, but i don't want my list to be unbearable. i know this isnt a metal forum, even if bono says vertigo is heavy molten metal from zarlock-9 or whatever. but sounds like axver might like it at least! (i'm also using Agalloch and Sleep :) )

there's a chance i will like (if not already know and do) a decent amount of it.

In all seriousness, it seems as though the point of this is to expand our musical pallets. I think that all of us are going to approach the playlists with an open mind. Otherwise, we would not have joined.

:up: yes i am looking forward to seeing what others come up with. i'm getting sick of my music collection. i need moooore

there's a chance i will like (if not already know and do) a decent amount of it.

\m/

i doubt anyone will love every song on my list, but i expect everyone to love at least one. including at least one that qualifies as "metal." i will turn you all into metalheads.

i will go in with an open mind, collapse, but metal is one of only two forms of music (the other being commercial/manufactured/radio garbage) that i hate with a passion.

I have artwork and my complete track listing, but I still need the MP3s. I'll have them to you Saturday night, I think.

yeah mine is almost done i think. will give it one last listen or two and upload/send within the next few days, hopefully. i will be whacked out on pain meds, so prolly won't have much else to do

Back
Top Bottom