My dog......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, here we are, 11 months later, and Molly was doing so well, up until a few days ago...

We started a much stronger chemotherapy protocol about 3 months ago, and Molly had been doing great. Didn't slow her down one bit, no vomiting, no hair loss, no obvious side effects. Wouldn't know a thing was wrong, up until this weekend.

Long story short, this last treatment completely wiped out her bone marrow and put her at serious risk for getting a bad infection from bacteria that are normally on your body. White blood cells help to keep bacteria in check - a normal amount for a dog would be 5,000, Molly only had 100 by the time I realized something was wrong.

She's been in the hospital for 3 days now, and has slowly been getting worse. We started antibiotics that we hoped would help, but didn't know for sure what specific bacteria we were fighting in order to choose the absolute best antibiotic. We finally got info today, and she has a very resistant bacteria that is only responsive to one specific antibiotic, at least in a petri dish. If she doesn't respond to it, we're doomed.

I have visited her every day, and it is incredibly hard to see her so down and out. She doesn't look like herself - she has been very crabby, snapping at the technicians and she ended up biting the inside of her lip. It is huge and swollen, so much that her eye on that side cannot open, she looks so awful. I am crying as I type this. :sad:

Tomorrow is the critical day, she should respond to the antibiotic within 24 hours if it's going to work. I don't want her to die alone in the hospital without me, but I don't want to be too quick to put her to sleep in case she can get over this hump.

Sorry, my life is so crazy with many other things as well, I just needed to vent about this :sigh:

Oh, Beth...:sad: :hug:

If you ever want somebody to talk to, feel free to call me. I have my cell on whenever possible.

((( Beth )))

I'm so sorry Molly isnt doing well :(

Hopefully she can pull out of it... sending some good healing vibes your way :hug:

:sigh: :hug: :no: Ah BLS! Sorry to hear about your sweet dog, molly! I will be praying for her-and hope the treatment helps her! I am an animal/pet lover, 100%! i had to put my dog, Sudan to sleep because he got sick, and I didn't want him to suffer. But I sure miss my buddy, our walks and all:sad: He may have had an old body, but had a young spirit! Ran like it too! I hope you have many more years with her! (Random sidenote to Cass;so is m. the australian mr.barbara woodhouse? ha-lol! yes-i still remember her, she used to make me laugh! lol! but i loved all those dogs on her show-they all seemed so happy -and smart! But the people? ha-lol! i miss that show!:wink: )

I'm sorry :sad: :hug: You've done the best you could as long as you could and I know she knows it.

Thanks all :heart:

Her fever is down a bit today - still higher than normal, but better than it has been so the antibiotic seems to be doing something. The doctor says her face looks even worse though :( I'm scared to see her, I don't know how it can look worse than it does...

No MooMoo, she has cancer that is affecting her bladder and urethra. :( Did you have an animal that had eye cancer?

I just got back from a visit, she is still very depressed and her head looks awful. It had been just the one side of her lip that was swollen, but the other side is getting very puffy now too.

Her white blood cell count is up to 2,000, still not normal but out of the scary crazy zone. Her temp is now normal, another good thing.

A new problem today is her platelets - they've been slowly decreasing, a low end of normal would be 200,000 but she now has only 10,000 which puts her at risk for serious bleeding. We think she may be having a reaction to one of her initial antibiotics that is causing her body to attack her own platelets. We started steroids today to help stop the atttack and give her body a chance to make new ones. Hopefully the steriods will also decrease the swelling in her face and stimulate her appetite, she has not eaten since Sunday. They are going to put a tube through her nose down into her stomach so that we can force her to get some calories, but hopefully she will start eating on her own soon.

Still touch and go, but a few small signs of improvement - I know she was happy to see her daddy today...

Last edited:
It's good her white blood cell count and temp are looking better :)

:hug:

:( :hug: I lost a dog to 'female related' cancer, even though she was spayed at 6 months. She was almost 12 when I found out. It was inside her but we never knew it and by the time a tumor popped out, she was inoperable :sad: I'll never forget the bottomless feeling I got when the vet told me the bad news. She lived almost a year after being diagnosed as terminal. She died of a seizure. When I found her collapsed on the bed she wasn't quite gone yet. I gave her one last hug, and sang to her, I hope she knew I was there and she didn't die alone.

I know how hard it's going to be when the time comes :sad: But the time is not here yet. Treasure her every minute she has, take care of her and yourself :hug:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom