Should smoking be illegal? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #101
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,067
Local Time: 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
The fact is that many of the people coming out of these degrees did not know what they wanted to do when they rushed into college. Most (not all, most) went for these degrees because they had no idea of what they wanted to do and were just going with what was expected of them. It's better to have a liberal arts degree than no degree! Right? That's why we have to get one! At least it's something! These people did not have the creativity to bust out and do something unique, were not smart enough to realize they didn't have to go to college and should wait until they knew what they wanted to do first, and they didn't have the talent in a specific field to pursue that field.

There's the occasional exception, but many businesses I know will throw applications with "liberal arts" degrees in the trash because of how unprofessional those graduates can be. We just recently fired someone with a liberal arts degree because they had no clue how to work in a professional environment. They need a college schedule dictating how they spent their time and when they suddenly had to plan things on their own... they couldn't.

The difference is when you encounter someone that wants to study many things, and usually those people will pick a specialty later on in life. The rare person who goes to college to learn. Perhaps I am guilty of generalizing here, so I should mention that I don't immediately judge someone for having that kind of degree. It's just something I see that's so common it's hard to separate the two. But unlike the stuck up people who refuse to consider someone without a degree professional, I will never rule out a person for a job based on their college education (whether they have it, what degree it's in, etc). I take the time to interview them, see their skills, look at what they've accomplished, and decide from there.


well, based on this, i wouldn't hire you. so there's that?
__________________

Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #102
Acrobat
 
ladyfreckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 402
Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Erica the flaw is that the post seems to assume that undergrads don't work.
Oh, I'm not assuming that. I worked when I was in school, and so did my fiance (though he just did summer internships since his degree was very, very hard and required serious commitment). I'm just saying that someone with job experience should not be undervalued just because they didn't take a few classes.

Quote:
High school involvement carries little weight for me personally because 1) it's highschool and 2) most of the stuff people do during that time largely depends on privilege and not actual skill or level of commitment.
In high school I led the chess team through regional tournaments as the captain, actively wrote for the school newspaper, had articles published in the local magazines/papers, founded a technology club where I taught people the basics of computers and how to identify each type of hardware (it's still going to this day), and did part time work as a technician for the school's computer labs. I graduated in 3 years instead of four with half of my classes being independent studies with a single teacher giving me coursework. I was doubled up during the school day (no lunch) and taking online courses as well. Taking the time to organize and lead those clubs was invaluable experience for me, and serves as an example of high school experiences that are relevant. I even had to coordinate bus rental for off-school tournaments and getting teachers to come with us.

Quote:
At the time I often felt college was useless but the farther away it seems, the more useful it has become. Also I wouldn't take back the cost of tuition to give up the friends I made.
For me my feelings about school depended on the classes I was taking and the teachers I had. I don't regret taking the classes I did take. I will be going back to school in a few years (once they stop considering my dad's income). It's just that I think there is an over value on degrees and education. Many schools have subpar programs which my friends have had to suffer through. I don't think I've ever heard someone regret college when they came from a good school/good program but I have heard a lot of complaints about the average college.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
well, based on this, i wouldn't hire you. so there's that?
That's fine by me, I have no desire to work for someone that judges people for not finishing or going to college.
__________________

ladyfreckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #103
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,067
Local Time: 03:39 PM
Give me someone smart, hardworking and ambitious who can read, think, and most especially write.

I will mold them into a great asset to my team in a way that I could never with people who decided to specialize when they were 18 and have oodles of technical experience but no ability to think big, different, and bold. Worker bees are great, but that's all you'll ever be unless you can engage on a higher level and make connections and take risks.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #104
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post


That's fine by me, I have no desire to work for someone that judges people for not finishing or going to college.
But you're judging all people with liberal arts degrees as lazy, unprofessional, scatterbrains
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #105
Acrobat
 
ladyfreckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 402
Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Give me someone smart, hardworking and ambitious who can read, think, and most especially write.

I will mold them into a great asset to my team in a way that I could never with people who decided to specialize when they were 18 and have oodles of technical experience but no ability to think big, different, and bold. Worker bees are great, but that's all you'll ever be unless you can engage on a higher level and make connections and take risks.
That's the thing, I don't think it's possible for someone to know what they want to do at 18. There's just too much pressure to go to college RIGHT AWAY and it's created a job market where it's nearly impossible for someone who's 18 and taking a year or two off to get a non-sales position. That's college's #1 flaw. There's such a negative stimuli associated with waiting for a few years when in reality there are tons of people in college who don't know what they're doing, or people who get screwed over financially because they change majors 3 years in.

You don't need college to be a brilliant writer, either (though I sure did love my literature/writing courses).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
But you're judging all people with liberal arts degrees as lazy, unprofessional, scatterbrains
Not really. It's my wording that makes me come off as abrasive. It was a counter to the notion that someone with a liberal arts degree is more professional than someone without any degree at all. I also NEVER said all, I clearly said some/most and even pointed out that there are exceptions to the rule and that I would never judge someone for having that kind of degree the way people seem to judge those without college degrees.
ladyfreckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #106
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,067
Local Time: 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles

That's fine by me, I have no desire to work for someone that judges people for not finishing or going to college.

Good thing, because I don't like to hire people who think that they know everything.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #107
Acrobat
 
ladyfreckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 402
Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

Good thing, because I don't like to hire people who think that they know everything.
You have me all figured out, don't you?
ladyfreckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #108
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
That's the thing, I don't think it's possible for someone to know what they want to do at 18.
For myself, I completely agree, but by saying that taking the time right out of highschool to get job experience instead of schooling experience is better, aren't you implying that those people knew what they wanted to be at 18? (I worded that horribly)
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #109
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 64,498
Local Time: 01:39 PM
No, I don't think smoking should be illegal.
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #110
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 04:39 PM
hahahaha
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #111
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,067
Local Time: 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles

You have me all figured out, don't you?

I think you have a limited experience of the world.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #112
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 04:39 PM
Interesting how a bill about masturbation can turn into a circumcision about schooling
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #113
Acrobat
 
ladyfreckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 402
Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
For myself, I completely agree, but by saying that taking the time right out of highschool to get job experience instead of schooling experience is better, aren't you implying that those people knew what they wanted to be at 18? (I worded that horribly)
I don't think it's better, oops. That was bad wording on my part (my brain doesn't always transfer well onto paper). I think what's important is that if you aren't sure what you want to do/be, you should try to take time off after high school and work instead (or work and take some classes part time to get a feel for how college works). There are some people that knew what they wanted to be from a young age and went off to college and did just that. But many others keep ending up in unfortunate positions where they have degrees they didn't want and have to go back to school to get another degree or live with what they studied. It's really sad especially considering how college isn't cheap.

Experience is drastically undervalued while college is overvalued. College does many things, but it doesn't guarantee that you'll be a better worker or a more valuable employee. I try to raise awareness of this by using the argument that, if professionalism is something you're concerned about, wouldn't you want someone who spent those years in a professional environment? Not a school? But many people do both. Many do internships. And some people are just naturally gifted at managing time because they're gods or something (or their parents just did an awesome job).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I think you have a limited experience of the world.
Well of course I do. I'm only twenty and the world is billions of years old.
ladyfreckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #114
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,067
Local Time: 03:39 PM
It all makes much more sense.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #115
Acrobat
 
ladyfreckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 402
Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
It all makes much more sense.
And there is where I stop you. While older people may be more experienced in general, it doesn't always guarantee that they know more. There are plenty of people twice my age who have no handle on reality and endanger their children with ignorant beliefs. No two people have the same experiences. There is stuff I have seen and lived through that many people go their entire lives without even hearing about.

Age is just a number and ageism/adultism is a ridiculous form of discrimination used to divide people even further. It's not a good idea to operate under the assumption that if someone ages they will soon adopt your ideas and beliefs about life. People grow up and build drastically different viewpoints in their minds based on their experiences. It's funny how you'll meet two very experienced, educated and elderly individuals and they will both have completely different ideas of what is and isn't smart. One of those strange things about life.

I've met sixteen-year-olds that can emotionally and intellectually compete with someone in their sixties. I've met incredibly intelligent middle-aged people and ignorant elderly folk. I've met brilliant elders and ignorant middle aged people. I've met stupid teenagers. I've met idiots in their twenties. I've met geniuses in their twenties. What's regarded as maturity also varies from culture to culture. After meeting people who had lived for 2-3 times as long as me and held the same viewpoints, that's when I started to realize how little age mattered. There are people twice as old as me that attribute my "ignorance" to my age because I disagree with them, but then there are people the same age as them who agree with me and view my thoughts and ideas as wisdom and maturity. It's extremely subjective. Just because my tone is different, or I come off a certain way, does not guarantee that you'll guess my age.

In a social experiment done for a class project during my freshman year my group went onto a forum and found old posts of members to copy. Outside of introducing ourselves and giving our age and interests, we never wrote out the posts ourselves--it was all copy-and-paste. We found that other members would use age as an argument, even when we had copied posts form someone much older than our supposed age. I played the role of a fourteen-year-old boy, and had people constantly talking down to me and saying I was too "young and stupid" to understand anything--despite the fact that the member whose old posts I was copying was 30 years old at the time of posting.

What we found was surprising. When the 30-year-old made those posts, the posts were whole heartedly agreed with. However when the same post came from someone perceived to be half that age, there was a negative reaction. The same idea, viewed as "wisdom" from the thirty-year-old, was "ignorance" when coming out of the mouth of a teenager. It was an interesting project and changed the way I looked at things after that.

tl;dr be careful about judging things based on age
ladyfreckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
trojanchick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
Posts: 8,352
Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles


Well of course I do. I'm only twenty and the world is billions of years old.
Having read the past few pages, this is completely unsurprising. I know it sounds condescending, but your lack of maturity has shown in this discussion. I work in higher education, and while there are certainly students who are getting degrees that are more trade related, engineering, business, film, they are also getting a foundation in the humanities. I myself was one of those liberal arts students, one degree in the Classics, and I truly believe even though I do not have a job relating to my major, I use skills I learned every day.

No one here is saying that people who don't get a degree are unintelligent. They are saying, that in general a degree indicates a person has certain skills. These can be major related, or general critical thinking, writing and literacy. This isn't to say a person who doesn't have a college degree doesn't have these skills, but when you have a large number of resumes, it can be an easy way to make cuts.
trojanchick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #117
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 04:39 PM
like old man strength, life experience should not be underestimated
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
And there is where I stop you. While older people may be more experienced in general, it doesn't always guarantee that they know more.
I think Irvine may have been responding more to your views on your accomplishments. I can kind of see where he's coming from (and like trojanchick, that isn't meant to be condescending)
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #119
Acrobat
 
ladyfreckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 402
Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Having read the past few pages, this is completely unsurprising. I know it sounds condescending, but your lack of maturity has shown in this discussion. I work in higher education, and while there are certainly students who are getting degrees that are more trade related, engineering, business, film, they are also getting a foundation in the humanities. I myself was one of those liberal arts students, one degree in the Classics, and I truly believe even though I do not have a job relating to my major, I use skills I learned every day.
You are aware that I'm discussing a very specific type of degree and not an entire type of college, right? I think at some colleges they call it "Generalist/(side focus)". The requirements for this degree are... really light. There are very few, if any, advanced courses and it's mostly made up of a bunch of intro and maybe level two courses. I'm serious. The required course list reads like a high school curriculum with a few more electives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I think Irvine may have been responding more to your views on your accomplishments. I can kind of see where he's coming from (and like trojanchick, that isn't meant to be condescending)
Except it's impossible to know all of my accomplishments when I only list a select few examples. A lot of my high school experiences are things people only got to do in college and are bragged about on resumes as part of the "college experience".
ladyfreckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:56 AM   #120
War Child
 
Dfit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 897
Local Time: 04:39 PM
The wealthiest people in this world do not have college degrees.

Ever since we grow up we are taught to follow the masses, as if somehow the masses are right in what they are doing, when the reality is that the masses do not know where they are going.

One of the things that a lot of people do is to go to college just for the sake of going and following the masses (what everybody else does). There are a lot of people that just by simply looking at them you can determine that they are not college-based material nor individuals who will obtain anything valuable from college in the long run.

In the end, what people should focus in is to earn money effectively, whether with college or not.
__________________

Dfit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×