Thoughts, reviews, opinions about WINDOW IN THE SKIES Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is the single version the take being played on the radio? My copy of U218 hasn't arrived yet, so I don't know the difference between the single version vs. the album version.

On various boards I am reading that the single version blows away the album version.

Will the single version be available in the US as a commercially released single?

Thanks!

:bump:

Better late than never, right?

I like it, I'm not entirely sure why but it seems to have a stronger presence vs many of their other "Best Of throw-away" tracks. To me at least, this sounds stronger than Sweetest Thing or Electrical Storm or Hands...

I especially love the way he whispers the chorus near the end, gave me goose bumps the first couple of times.

And for the record, since they were recording in Abbey Road are we sure George Martin didn't produce this??? It totally sounds like the Beatles from the "Please don’t ever let me out of here" line leading into a total Harrison sounding jangley guitar riff....

Despite one or two cheesy lines in the lyrics, this song is sheer joy, kinda like Beautiful Day and the lip synch video only makes it better! ****

4 STARS!

there is a commercial on in the UK for the MFI store and the piano intro is very similar to the WITS
everytime i hear it i keep thinking the song is advertised on tv. :mad:

surprised...from people around me, especially non u2 fans, people really like the song. especially the video!!!

i love it. great tune. thought i would get sick of it quickly but i'm still playing it a lot

Before I give my opinion on WITS, let me state this:

I said a few years ago that while I didn't think HTDAAB was great, it was definitely an improvement (in my opinion) from ATYCLB.

I have also said that all bands have that album that isn't great, but you can feel that they've only just discovered something, and the following album will be a masterpiece. (As an example, Led Zep's album Coda is that type of album, but we never found out what was coming.)

So, HTDAAB in my opinion is that album for U2, that one where they discovered something new, but haven't quite mastered yet, making it a good, solid album, but the follow up will be the masterpiece, and in my opinion, U2's greatest ever, better than Joshua Tree and Achtung (or Pop because I'm a Pop-lover).

I realize that this is a bold claim indeed. but after having listened to WITS so much, it just supports my thinking even furthur, because (now time for my review of the song), this is probably in my top favorite U2 songs. Sure, it's poppy. Sure it has a catchy chorus. But they do it so it still sounds like U2 and doesn't sound cheesy. And this, while sounding like U2, sounds new and fresh to me. And if this is any indication of what we're to get on the next album, I'd make a large bet that it will be U2's 3rd masterpiece (Pop, Achtung, New - in my eyes) and 4th (JT, AB, ATYCLB, New - in the public's eye).

Frankly though, I've always felt the follow up to HTDAAB will be U2's best. They found something on that album that they didn't quite master, WITS is proof of the mastering, Rick Rubin is the ingredient, and this coming album, IMHO, again, will be U2's best.

So, aside from rambling, yes, I like, love, adore WITS. One of my top favorite U2 songs. This is a classic. And I expect to hear a lot of it on tours to come.

On the back of the slipcase for the singles it has the tracklistings for the CDs & DVD.

This is on the DVD:

1. "Window in The Skies" Audio 4:00

so, they are selling a DVD with the song on in AUDIO format!! What the hell? This annoys me even more than leaving it off U218

I love this song. It is still running around my head. I think there's a lot of magic there that hasn't been around some of the recent work.

Don't mean to bring back an old thread, but man, this song is just brilliant. I loved it when it first came out in 06 and I love it just as much, if not more now. I can't exactly put my finger on what exactly makes it stand it from the last two albums for me. But there is something in this song, music, lyrics, both, I don't know, that just makes me think there is hope musically for an awesome album to come out this fall. But I digress....

The last two albums, as people know, I think were average at best. But this song just resonates awesomeness, brilliance. I know the argument can be made that it's just like Beautiful Day or Walk On or City of Blinding Lights. But to me it's not....as i said, I can't put my finger on it.

I've listened to this song probably ten times today and I can't get enough of it. :drool:

Don't mean to bring back an old thread, but man, this song is just brilliant. I loved it when it first came out in 06 and I love it just as much, if not more now. I can't exactly put my finger on what exactly makes it stand it from the last two albums for me. But there is something in this song, music, lyrics, both, I don't know, that just makes me think there is hope musically for an awesome album to come out this fall. But I digress....

The last two albums, as people know, I think were average at best. But this song just resonates awesomeness, brilliance. I know the argument can be made that it's just like Beautiful Day or Walk On or City of Blinding Lights. But to me it's not....as i said, I can't put my finger on it.

I've listened to this song probably ten times today and I can't get enough of it. :drool:

Agreed. This song stands out with COBL for me, tied for 'best of the decade'.

I just listened to this song for the first time in a while today. It really is a pretty powerful pop number. A couple of lyrics make me wince a bit but that's fairly standard for U2 this decade.

The thing that stood out to me is how that song feels like a going away of sorts. Like maybe it's the last of it's kind before U2 moves on into a different sphere once again. Like they've taken that sound/style as far as they could and it's time to turn the next corner. Anyone else get that kind of vibe from it?

I just listened to this song for the first time in a while today. It really is a pretty powerful pop number. A couple of lyrics make me wince a bit but that's fairly standard for U2 this decade.

The thing that stood out to me is how that song feels like a going away of sorts. Like maybe it's the last of it's kind before U2 moves on into a different sphere once again. Like they've taken that sound/style as far as they could and it's time to turn the next corner. Anyone else get that kind of vibe from it?

You know now that you say it, that is what it sounds like, especially with the ending. Whether or not thats what's actually going to happen is another story but I'd like to hope like many others that theres gonna be something new this time around.

:hmm:

interesting...yes...I can sort of feel that vibe too on more listens now...."love left a window in the skies"....yes....maybe :)

Actually.....now that you mention it, I kind of get that feeling too. Good catch!

I know we speculate song lyrics - but one interpretation, of many I am sure, is to definitely see this song as written to the fans, and as Hoodlem said, almost a swansong of this sound/style, a final hoorah. If it turns out to be true as a new sound on this new album I will forever now think of this song as such, as a final goodbye to the style they used from 2000-2006.

"Oh can't you see what the love has done..." If viewed as Bono singing to us, saying the fans continuous love has made them wake up and realize they need to let this sound go, but a stretch, I know.

"I've got no shame/oh no." If viewed as Bono singing to us, saying he has no shame about the last two albums.

"I know I hurt and I made you cry/did everything but murder you and I/but love left a window in the skies/and to love I rhapsodize/to every broken heart/for everywhere heart that cries" going out on a limb here - but, again, may he is referring to the hardcore fans who felt let down with the last two albums, but I know, I know, that's just speculation.I guess the argument can be made for a lot of songs that is Bono is singing to the fans.

Come to think of it, I REALLY may be stretching here. But, now that Hoodlem mentioned something, maybe that is exactly what I couldn't put my finger on - that they are indeed closing the chapter on this style of music and that's why this song stands out for me. Well that and it's still a brilliant song. :)

Still, great catch Hoodlem. Nicely done.

Reading through some of the old posts here are hilarious, especially Brau's sarcastic tirades. :lol:

Big shock: I still enjoy WITS. It's not challenging, intriguing, or entirely new territory for the band. It's also catchy as hell, and gives me chills out of its sheer grandiosity and scope, like any great U2 anthem. I wouldn't put it up there with the very best of ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but it's in the middle somewhere. Good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom