Thoughts, reviews, opinions about WINDOW IN THE SKIES Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
xaviMF22 said:

I dont know I'm still waiting for 409:(

It's been here for years.

Use it to clean your ears out.

CCLO6145.JPG

Then your music taste may improve.

Probably not, but why not try?

Last edited:
Will we ever see it live? Electrical Storm was amazing and a decent chart success but no love there...unless maybe they think ES wouldn't work so well as a live performance, whereas WITS's chorus and hook is just born to be sung by thousands of screaming fans.

COBL_04 said:
I'll download it tonight but I wanna know...what's the general opinion? Is it in ATYCLB/HTDAAB style? Have they moved away from that path? Do the people here who knock the '00 a bit dislike or like the song? How long is it? Is it going to be released as a single?

*Ahem* :bump:

the new leaked version sounds very clean, and having identifying every instrument and sound I don't think it would be very hard to play it live, maybe bono could play the piano while edge plays the arpeggios or something...

COBL_04 said:

I think the closest comparison in U2 songs is maybe Original of the species. But closer still to the Beatles.

Not really ATYCLB, which was pop but still U2. And nothing close to the retro vintage U2 sounds on Bomb.

I really love this song.

Been hearing it a lot lately. It just flows so well and sounds so beautiful, really.

I've always been in love with the thought of Rubin hoooking up with our boys, and now its happening, and its amazing. so ill be talking about it a lot in the future.

I think the production is just superior, i love how edge's simple guitar riffs kind of come too life, and what is that?? i can HEAR larry's drumming.

Lyrics are great, Bono sounds great. I love the way he sings some of the lines....."and out of my head..." great part.

Only part I don't like is the "oh oh oh" they need to stop doing that so much, they should have gone right into the "please dont ever let me out of here" part.

by the way, that is my favorite part of the song. that guitar by EDGE is great, and Bono singing "I got no shammmeee" best part.

another favorite part is the closing, the way it blends bono's singing with edge in the background with the chorus. great stuff.

"love left a window in the skies...."

Great tune. Can't wait to hear the new album stuff.

Now that I've heard the album version. I have to get out there and risk getting flamed but ...it's really really good!!!!!! I really like the album version, the production of it, the texture, it's a bit slower, even more beatlesque.

The drumming , and the guitars I really like. It's awesome!!!!!!

I just heard this two days ago. :reject:

Honestly, it made a really great impression on me the first time, which isn't always the case.

The chorus is beautiful. :happy:

I think the closest comparison in U2 songs is maybe Original of the species. But closer still to the Beatles.

Not really ATYCLB, which was pop but still U2. And nothing close to the retro vintage U2 sounds on Bomb.

Thank you, that's good to hear. I love the '00 era as much as the next person (in fact in most cases more than the next person lol) but a new sound is good.

I downloaded it finally last night, and I remember exclaiming, 'oh, it's 400!'

It is really a good song, a pop song, but good nonetheless. That said, I'm not sure about it's longetivty, for me anyway. It has 3 plays already!

is there another version i keep hearing of? thefonz_29@hotmail.com please....

Thank you, that's good to hear. I love the '00 era as much as the next person (in fact in most cases more than the next person lol) but a new sound is good.

I downloaded it finally last night, and I remember exclaiming, 'oh, it's 400!'

It is really a good song, a pop song, but good nonetheless. That said, I'm not sure about it's longetivty, for me anyway. It has 3 plays already!

There's something annoying about this song that makes me think of a group of elementary
school kids holding hands and skipping across fields of green grass.

Very La-Dee-Da.

It is too repetitive and simplistic for me.

You can almost see Bono one fingering it at his piano class, coming up with the
"Can't you see what love has done?" notes and the light bulb going off in his head, SONG!

Do we really need those notes shoved down our throats and and those lyrics repeated SIXTEEN times?
It’s like the finale of a Broadway musical. Paula Abdul could be brought in to do the choreography,
“Now Brett and Charles, you stand over there with your hands held high while the rest of the group circles around…skip, two, three.”

That said, I'd say the song is better than 50% of the material from their last two
albums but it doesn't hold a candle to songs Kite or COBL.

Westport said:
There's something annoying about this song that makes me think of a group of elementary
school kids holding hands and skipping across fields of green grass.

Very La-Dee-Da.

It is too repetitive and simplistic for me.

You can almost see Bono one fingering it at his piano class, coming up with the
"Can't you see what love has done?" notes and the light bulb going off in his head, SONG!

Do we really need those notes shoved down our throats and and those lyrics repeated SIXTEEN times?
It’s like the finale of a Broadway musical. Paula Abdul could be brought in to do the choreography,
“Now Brett and Charles, you stand over there with your hands held high while the rest of the group circles around…skip, two, three.”

That said, I'd say the song is better than 50% of the material from their last two
albums but it doesn't hold a candle to songs Kite or COBL.
yep and lyrics like "baby baby baby, light my way, or boom cha discoteque," are alot deeper and less repetetive

KUEFC09U2 said:
yep and lyrics like "baby baby baby, light my way, or boom cha discoteque," are alot deeper and less repetetive

Sorry but I wouldn't say either one of those songs are amongst their best.

Westport said:

Yes...especially for a broadway show tune.

:|

For majority of tunes. :huh:

Need we count the "baby baby baby" in Ultraviolet or "I need your love" repetitions in Hawkmoon 269?

Last edited:
U2girl said:

For majority of tunes. :huh:

Need we count the "baby baby baby" in Ultraviolet or "I need your love" repetitions in Hawkmoon 269?

No need to do that since I can't skip or prance to either one of those songs.:wink:

Bono's Doll said:
I just heard it today--it does have a Beatles kind of feel. :hmm: I'm liking it. :yes:

What Beatle song?????? :ohmy:

Window In The Sky seems to be nothing but a mix between Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Sometimes You Can't Make It and Electrical Storm :eyebrow:

U2 record by feel. As stated in their book, they always start with a "blank page" approach. Being in Abbey Road for the pictorial and some recording, and given their performance with McCartney last year, and given that OOTS was their most recent single -- it is only natural to have U2 having nothing but Beatles in their mind.

So for those expecting U2 to do innovative music that pushes envelopes - a greatest hits album isnt a time to do it - especially when they still have Beatles in their mind.

ponkine said:

What Beatle song?????? :ohmy:

Window In The Sky seems to be nothing but a mix between Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Sometimes You Can't Make It and Electrical Storm :eyebrow:

1. She never said it was a copy of a Beatles song, she said it had a Beatles feel. :eyebrow:

2. WGRYWH - good song
SYCMIOYO - good song
Electrical Storm - good song
Window In The Skies - good song as well :yes:

(Besides, that comparison makes no sense whatsoever, considering all of those songs are darker than WITS. I'd say it's more of a cross between Mercy and Wild Honey, two great songs.)

So...what's the problem again? :wink:

LemonMelon said:

WGRYWH - good song
SYCMIOYO - good song
Electrical Storm - good song
Window In The Skies - good song as well :yes:

So...what's the problem again? :wink:

I can't believe you can't see the problem in that:scratch:

U2 have been copying themselves all over the place since ATYCLB :reject:

and Window In The Sky is not the exception. It just sounds too much heared before. Even you compare the song with Mercy and Wild Honey!.

That's the biggest problem :( When a band can't do original music anymore, it's done. The rest is just leftovers, I mean, merchandising, best ofs, tours to show past their prime, keeping alive just because their heyday, mainstream music, Grammies, MTV, etc

Dream It's Over - John Lennon 1970

ponkine said:

and Window In The Sky is not the exception. It just sounds too much heared before. Even you compare the song with Mercy and Wild Honey!.

That's the biggest problem :( When a band can't do original music anymore, it's done. The rest is just leftovers, I mean, merchandising, best ofs, tours to show past their prime, keeping alive just because their heyday, mainstream music, Grammies, MTV, etc

everythings been done. I mean nothing is original anymore. Unless U2 do a hip hop or country song, it's hard to really be original. The formula they have been using is working, so why would they switch now.

ponkine said:

What else does this remind me of?:hmm:

Oh yeah, your posts.:|

MrBrau1 said:

It's been here for years.

Use it to clean your ears out.

CCLO6145.JPG

Then your music taste may improve.

Probably not, but why not try?

oh I've tried it and KID A still sounds awesome:drool:

however HTDAAB still sounds like shit:|

xaviMF22 said:

oh I've tried it and KID A still sounds awesome:drool:

however HTDAAB still sounds like shit:|

Kid A will always be awesome.

But if you still find Amnesiac to be a work of art after applying 409, I suggest you try a plumbing snake. :eyebrow:

I get a bit tired of the criticism of the "repetitiveness" in WITS. For some songs, repetitiveness works best at driving home the point, especially in the chorus (i.e. "All You Need is Love"). By repeating "Can't you see what love has done?" Bono is making the same point Lennon does in All You Need Is Love. Love is the most powerful and essential thing in this world. If every U2 song had this repetitiveness for the chorus, I'd be more critical. But in this case, I think it fits perfectly with the message and theme of the song. My two cents...

Back
Top Bottom