The real reason U2 isn't releasing any of this material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, that was a real eye opener! I don't think I've heard Bono go on a rant like that for over 10 years. Absolutely fuckin' fantastic!

U2 Rocks in Mexico City; Bono Blasts U.S. Weapons Smuggling [PHOTOS]

"I want you to send a message of love along the border to the good and the great people of the United States of America," Bono said during the third concert, according to the band's website.

"I want you to send a message to people of conscience," he said.

"Ask them to answer the question. Why is it that all we hear on the news is how drugs are smuggled through Mexico to the United States?

"'And we don't hear about all the automatic weapons that are being smuggled into Mexico from the United States. Nine thousand registered arms dealers on the other side of the border. Nine thousand.

"Most of the murders committed here are from weapons sold in the United States of America," he said.

B must miss being the center of attention, particularly the direct phone line to the Oval Office...

:hmm: maybe someone needs to make some crank calls in the middle of their performances... helllloooooo?

That would go something like this:

"Yes, could I speak to the President please?"

"Who is this?"

"It's Bono"

"Oh! Why, certainly, sir, right away I'll just connect you straight on through"

(brief pause as the call is re-routed)

"Hello?"

"Mr President?"

"Yes, this is the President, who am I speaking to?"

"It's Bono"

"Bono? Why are you calling me, I'm right here...look! Over here slightly to the left of Adam (waving) Do you see me? Yep, Michelle's with me, she went to get beer...Ok why are we talking on the phone? I'll see you after the show, later pal"

(Bono doesn't know what to say now)

"ah....Ok Edge, play the blues!!!"

:wink:

U2 Rocks in Mexico City; Bono Blasts U.S. Weapons Smuggling [PHOTOS]

"I want you to send a message of love along the border to the good and the great people of the United States of America," Bono said during the third concert, according to the band's website.

"I want you to send a message to people of conscience," he said.

"Ask them to answer the question. Why is it that all we hear on the news is how drugs are smuggled through Mexico to the United States?

"'And we don't hear about all the automatic weapons that are being smuggled into Mexico from the United States. Nine thousand registered arms dealers on the other side of the border. Nine thousand.

"Most of the murders committed here are from weapons sold in the United States of America," he said.

oh for fuck's sake, Bono.

automatic weapons don't kill people. people kill people.

we should be outright selling more guns to Mexicans so that good, god-fearing people can defend themselves against the cartels.

just ask Gabby Giffords and all those people in Arizona who were killed by a semiautomatic that had more bullets in it because of the 2004 expiration of the clinton-era assault weapon ban under Bush and the Republicans.

Well, sure. But it's worth asking why our media's focus is just on all those Mexicans killing each other. It ain't just drugs and brown people moving over the border.

ok, getting a bit serious -- and i apologize, cori, if i came off rudely -- i think his comments are accurate and appropriate, and it makes me wonder how, if this is some kind of Angry Bono 2.0 about to emerge, it's going to go over with the masses who are sick of save-the-world Bono.

No, no - you're good. I should have left my original comment, which was an obvious joke. But it wasn't until after I wrote it that I realized your original sarcasm went right over my head! Ha.

:)

ok, getting a bit serious -- and i apologize, cori, if i came off rudely -- i think his comments are accurate and appropriate, and it makes me wonder how, if this is some kind of Angry Bono 2.0 about to emerge, it's going to go over with the masses who are sick of save-the-world Bono.

Can't speak for the world (I've tried but there's always that one guy in Tibet...), but I would like Angry Bono 2.0 very much.

After all his "save the world" bipartisanship, it would be nice for him to say a big "F OFF!" once in a while. It would be nice to hear him rant about WHY we need to save the world. Recent years, the "kinder, gentler" Bono more or less told us about causes. I accepted this because his actions spoke louder than his words. He was literally trying to save the world. This was definitely a step up from the 80's Bono - who was very Lennon like - in that he ranted and raved, but didn't seem to really do all that much. It's great to bring causes to the public's attention as 80's Bono and Lennon did - but far better to actually do something about them.

However, after a decade of this "gentler" Bono, I want a more passionate, ranting Bono.

The speech Bono gave in 2008 after accepting an NAACP award was fantastic (see below).

YouTube - Bono 's NAACP Speech

This speech may be too long for a concert, but I still get chills listening to his passion, his anger and how we can all change the world. And that's what I've been missing a bit lately.

I think this type of Bono will go over well - it will help remind us why we need passion. And it will demonstrate that a 51 year old rich rock star can still be a rebel.

Doc....BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO!!!:applaud::up: I totally agree.

Oh how I miss thee ranting passionate BONO! It's so great to know he is still there after all this time. It must have been so hard for him to keep his mouth shut during the 2000's when he was embarking on his political campaigning and lobbying for ONE. I love what that org. has done but I hate that it had to stiffle him so much. The Vertigo tour was a anti war statement in the music but I wanted him to get MAD and rant!!!!! :angry: :D:love:

can he, though? with all his investments and connections?

it's a good question. would be very interesting to see what happens.

One can always be a rebel.

And if Bono or U2 have to do without a few investments because of some perceived slight, so be it. But I will say this - those who would be most offended by Bono would also be the most guilty.

Besides, one would think it'd be the other way around. NLOTH may not have been U2's biggest hit, but it still went Platinum - in an era where few artists can make that claim. And the 360 tour will soon be the world's biggest in terms of gross and attendance. People want to work and invest with U2 - not the other way around.

This speech may be too long for a concert, but I still get chills listening to his passion, his anger and how we can all change the world. And that's what I've been missing a bit lately.

I think this type of Bono will go over well - it will help remind us why we need passion. And it will demonstrate that a 51 year old rich rock star can still be a rebel.

Holy Cow man! Thanks for posting that...ive never seen that speech before. The last minute or so of that was very intense.

FUCK YEAH! Bring it! :applaud::applaud::applaud:

Holy Cow man! Thanks for posting that...ive never seen that speech before. The last minute or so of that was very intense.

I know! Those last few minutes are wildly intense - they even bring tears to my eyes and an energy in my step. They are wonderfully inspirational. This was just a few years ago, so it shows Bono has it. I hope to see more.

NLOTH started pushing U2 in the right direction. I hope they don't freak because of "only" getting a Platinum album. :rolleyes: I want that adventure and I want passionate Bono. It's coming - I hope it fully returns and STAYS!

You've never seen that speech? Whoa. That one is classic. I remember when I watched it live, total goosebump moment and the crowd cheering just added to the energy in the room!
Yep, that's the Bono we know and love. Well, I love anyway.:D

Back
Top Bottom